X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Brown Hockey 2017-2018: The Quest for Prosperity Continues

Originally posted by Mike Hutter View Post
    Euler: All players back?
    Other than Tegtmeyer and Cooper, who I believe both hung up their skates for good, it appears that way looking at the rosters year-over-year. Looking forward to seeing what the incoming freshmen can bring, as well as how promising players like Brent Beaudoin develop. Plus, getting Brink and Lappin back will help.

Comment

Nice writeup on Bird and some of his classmates in the NEHJ: http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...&folio=48#pg48

Bird says he thinks Brown will be largely improved this year, and, though I'm hesitant to get overzealous, I tend to agree. Last year's senior class combined for NINE points. NINE. And one of them was a goalie assist by Tim Ernst!

I see our current roster as being far more talented top-to-bottom than last year's, and if we get reasonably acceptable goaltending (like, anything north of a .900 save percentage, which should NOT be too much to ask for), I can see us moving up a few spots in the ladder in one of the weakest ECAC fields in quite some time. At the very least, I think we'll win 10 games. The ceiling is probably is in the area of 15 wins.

We'll see how things pan out, but I'm hoping (not expecting) things will be better this year.

Comment

Originally posted by kdiff77 View Post
        Nice writeup on Bird and some of his classmates in the NEHJ: http://www.hockeyjournal.com/nehocke...&folio=48#pg48

Bird says he thinks Brown will be largely improved this year, and, though I'm hesitant to get overzealous, I tend to agree. Last year's senior class combined for NINE points. NINE. And one of them was a goalie assist by Tim Ernst!

I see our current roster as being far more talented top-to-bottom than last year's, and if we get reasonably acceptable goaltending (like, anything north of a .900 save percentage, which should NOT be too much to ask for), I can see us moving up a few spots in the ladder in one of the weakest ECAC fields in quite some time. At the very least, I think we'll win 10 games. The ceiling is probably is in the area of 15 wins.

We'll see how things pan out, but I'm hoping (not expecting) things will be better this year.
        I am in agreement with you. IMHO it looks like we will have at least 2 lines capable of producing goals on a regular basis. It would be nice to see secondary scoring from frosh and sophomores who show promise.

Comment

Bruno in the NHL:

Hathaway survived cut and is now playing on Calgary's third line. Matt Lorito is on the Redwings roster but listed as on Injured reserve.

Nick Lappin was one of Devils last cuts and is with Binghamton Devils, and Harry Z was last cut of Panthers but signed yesterday a two way contact with Predators.

Dennis Robertson is back with AHL Hurricanes. Looks like Bobby Farnham and Yann Danis have not signed on with anyone, AHL or NHL Or ECHL, at this time.

Comment

Hathaway was sent down to Stockton today to make room for Jagr Mike.
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
              Hathaway was sent down to Stockton today to make room for Jagr Mike.
              Turk. Thanks for the Update. Trying to find transaction information as it occurs has been difficult. ESPN, TSN, CBS Sports, MSNBC is not timely and sometimes incomplete. even the NHL team sites don't have everything.

What's your source?

Comment

Turk. Thanks for the Update. Trying to find transaction information as it occurs has been difficult. ESPN, TSN, CBS Sports, MSNBC is not timely and sometimes incomplete. even the NHL team sites don't have everything.

What's your source?
                http://www.eliteprospects.com Mike, just a tip; depending on how many transactions take place during the day or if you haven’t looked in a day or 2 you can check for up to a week. You’ll notice 3 “drop down boxes” (below the advertisement) clik the box that reads, “Filter on time/date” & you can go back a week.
                Last edited by turk181; 10-05-2017, 08:05 PM.
                Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Bruno in the NHL:

Hathaway survived cut and is now playing on Calgary's third line. Matt Lorito is on the Redwings roster but listed as on Injured reserve.

Nick Lappin was one of Devils last cuts and is with Binghamton Devils, and Harry Z was last cut of Panthers but signed yesterday a two way contact with Predators.

Dennis Robertson is back with AHL Hurricanes. Looks like Bobby Farnham and Yann Danis have not signed on with anyone, AHL or NHL Or ECHL, at this time.
                  Lorito played for GR tonight Mike.

Comment

Anyone going to the Yale scrimmage? If so, post some comments.

Comment

Hello everyone! As you may or may not have seen, vicb is not running the annual ECAC Pick the Standings contest this season. I have decided to take up the torch and run it. I know we are running on rather short notice as the season will start in just four days, but hopefully we can get a decent turnout regardless. If you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
                      RPI Pep Band
                      GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                      🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                      2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                      2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Looking forward to the weekend games. I suspect Nieto starts but I see a quick hook if he gives up a soft goal or two and the big freshman gets his chance.

KDiff, attending any of the games?

Comment

Looking forward to the weekend games. I suspect Nieto starts but I see a quick hook if he gives up a soft goal or two and the big freshman gets his chance.

KDiff, attending any of the games?
                          Booked solid this weekend, unfortunately. I'm going to try to stream when I can!

Re: Goaltending, Divver quoted Whittet saying Nieto and Kania will likely split the duties this weekend: http://www.providencejournal.com/spo...-for-net-gains

Not sure why Maher continues to be ignored, as I've thought he's looked decent when given a fair chance (rarely) in a game that wasn't already a blowout, but he seemingly will not be a factor on this team.

On the more alarming side, here's something straight from the article:

As you would expect, given the numbers, the coaches are devoting more attention to the goalies. “We’ve been much more involved as a staff in terms of working with the guys individually and as a group with video and skills stuff. We are much more engaged in that aspect, rather than just saying, ‘Hey, stop the puck,’ ″ Whittet said.
                          ...were they not doing this before?? Because if so, that could explain most of our goaltending woes over the past handful of years. Sheesh.

Comment

Some quick thoughts from an eternal optimist: This year's Brown Bears are a much better team than last year.
                            1. The goaltending situation is more competitive. Gavin Nieto learned a lot last year and big Luke Kania has the potential to be a solid college goaltender.
                            2. The very good senior class (Lafferty, Willman, Bird, McArdle, Corcoran, Lappin) is providing solid leadership. McArdle is a good captain with a positive attitude. (Bird and Lafferty are the two alternate captains.)
                            3. The class of 2021 brings in more skill than we lost when the class of 2017 graduated. Particularly, first-years Tony Stillwell, Chris Berger and Anea Ferrario have looked good in practice, with Stillwell and Berger being tried on the power play. Hopefully they'll be able to contribute once he puck is dropped.
                            4. Brown will be playing a system more dependent on puck movement. Towards that goal, they've been recruiting smaller but mobile players.

See you tonight at the Whale.

Comment

Here's one final reminder that today is the LAST DAY to submit an entry into the ECAC Pick The Standings contest! League play starts tonight, so if you'd like to participate, just head on over to the thread and submit your prediction! Thanks and good luck!
                              RPI Pep Band
                              GO GO GO YOU RED RED RED!!! and I guess Yale?
                              🎶🎺🎺🎺 LET'S GO BLUES!

2017-2018 RPI Pick to Click – Champion
                              2013-2016 RPI Pick to Click – Back-to-Back-to-Back Runner-Up
                              2014-15, 2018-19 ECAC Pick the Standings – Last Place

Comment

Originally posted by Euler18 View Post
                                Some quick thoughts from an eternal optimist: This year's Brown Bears are a much better team than last year.
                                1. The goaltending situation is more competitive. Gavin Nieto learned a lot last year and big Luke Kania has the potential to be a solid college goaltender.
                                2. The very good senior class (Lafferty, Willman, Bird, McArdle, Corcoran, Lappin) is providing solid leadership. McArdle is a good captain with a positive attitude. (Bird and Lafferty are the two alternate captains.)
                                3. The class of 2021 brings in more skill than we lost when the class of 2017 graduated. Particularly, first-years Tony Stillwell, Chris Berger and Anea Ferrario have looked good in practice, with Stillwell and Berger being tried on the power play. Hopefully they'll be able to contribute once he puck is dropped.
                                4. Brown will be playing a system more dependent on puck movement. Towards that goal, they've been recruiting smaller but mobile players.

See you tonight at the Whale.
                                Good to hear on all fronts, Euler. Item 4 has me most excited, as our system has been very dump-and-chase heavy over the past several years.

As I've posted previously, I'm quietly optimistic about this team. The combination of leadership, experience, skill and a "prove-em-wrong" attitude that I've now heard in the media from a number of players leads me to believe we could be a major surprise. Goaltending, as always, will be perhaps the most significant deciding factor. If we can put up a team save percentage of even .905, which is average to slightly above average, we can have success in a somewhat weaker ECAC. Goaltending aside, I think we'll see much more balanced scoring across the top nine, and our defensive corps is made up mostly of quick, intelligent puck movers; a stark departure from the last several teams that primarily had big, slow, and not very skilled defensemen.

Looking forward to taking on Yale. It's always a dog (sorry for the pun) fight when we play them, especially at Meehan.

Comment

Working...
                                X