Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by unofan View Post
    He's saying "comply" isn't a solution. Because the problem occurs well before the gun is drawn. By the time the gun is drawn, there is no solution to the problem. At that point your life is in the cop's hands, and regardless of what happens he isn't going to face any consequences.
    Yes, that is a solution. You do what the officer says, and better your chances. That is called "complying." The officer only knows what info he got from dispatch (or what he sees/thinks he sees). You comply, answer any questions, do what you're told, and most likely live another day.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Yes, that is a solution. You do what the officer says, and better your chances. That is called "complying." The officer only knows what info he got from dispatch (or what he sees/thinks he sees). You comply, answer any questions, do what you're told, and most likely live another day.
      Doesn't change the fact that being white is safer.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

...if you're white, he failed to add.

And that's not a solution, that's mitigating the fallout.
        Last edited by unofan; 09-21-2017, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
          Maybe we should be a little bit more proactive about this problem than waiting until a gun is pointed at us... just a thought.
          The ideas are not mutually exclusive. Yes in a perfect world, but until then what's your suggested response to a gun being pointed at you? And for once how about a straightforward answer instead of another question or deflection?

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            The ideas are not mutually exclusive. Yes in a perfect world, but until then what's your suggested response to a gun being pointed at you? And for once how about a straightforward answer instead of another question or deflection?
            It's a stupid ****ing question and we all know it. Well he doesn't but I'm guessing everyone else does. Not to mention I did answer it.

And who exactly isn't complying when they have a gun pointed at them? Most the outrage in this thread and various protests has to do with people who get shot in the back, choked for selling cigs, given a rough ride in a van to the point where their spinal cord is severed, shot while pulling out their driver's license, while playing in a park, because the cop was too stupid to designate right from left and pulled a gun instead of taser etc. and there wasn't even a chance to comply or even resist for that matter. So Brent can kindly **** off with his alternate reality.
            Last edited by trixR4kids; 09-21-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
              Except we see cases every day now where that isnt the case. It is easy for you or I to say "just comply you will be ok" because if we comply most likely we will be ok. That isnt true for a growing number of people. (like say Black people or the Deaf guy they just killed)

And again since when is pulling a gun so high up on the list of things cops do? Doing so only escalates situations and causes a fight or flight response. If you arent doing anything wrong and someone (cop or not) pulls a gun on you are you saying you wont freak out? I am literally trained not to and even I doubt I wont freak out a bit. Cops have a responsibility above that of ordinary citizens. If they are going to draw their guns every time someone looks at them sideways they are going to kill more people than they should be. It is basic math man.
              Last edited by Handyman; 09-21-2017, 06:29 PM.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                How about cops stop drawing their guns like they are in the movie Tombstone every time someone sneezes in their general direction then we can talk about what others should do? And what you or I should do might not be the same as what others should do...
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  The Church, disagrees with you on that point, particularly given the advent of modern supermax prisons.

But you be you, Inspector Javert.
                  Despite the USCCB, the Code of Canon Law permits the death penalty. It should be rare and only for the gravest reasons, but it is permitted.

Read this:

https://canonlawblog.wordpress.com/2...death-penalty/
                  Last edited by joecct; 09-21-2017, 08:26 PM.
                  CCT '77 & '78
                  4 kids
                  5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                  1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                  - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                    Despite the USCCB, the Code of Canon Law permits the death penalty. It should be rare and only for the gravest reasons, but it is permitted.

Read this:

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                      How about cops stop drawing their guns like they are in the movie Tombstone every time someone sneezes in their general direction then we can talk about what others should do? And what you or I should do might not be the same as what others should do...
                      Dude, come on. I think my posting history suggests it's pretty clear I've not been a super-cop advocate. I agree 100% that in many, many of these cases the cop(s) completely overstepped their bounds. The problem with discussions like this is that people too often (on both sides) use a broad-stroke answer to a single-stroke question.

Trigger-happy cops are a significant issue and this country needs to invest in re-branding the culture that leads them to such behavior. So many of these events completely make me smh along with many of you on top of making me extremely sad and angry. I was responding to a somewhat specific scenario which is if a (rogue) cop pulls his gun on you what is the best course of action in that situation? You might be effed no matter what, but would you not agree on occasion the actions of the "perp" will enable the over-exuberant cop to calm down and not do something stupid?

Posing that question doesn't = me defending the a-holes that eff up. Don't equate my interjection with defending cops no matter what.
                      Last edited by Slap Shot; 09-21-2017, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post

Read this:

Semantics, schmantics.

Ethically & morally permitted to be enshrined in secular laws? Yes. Frowned upon? Definitely. Necessary for the justice system of a modern civilized society? No, and in fact the available alternatives make it quite clear what the Church's position is today, and why JP II wrote what he wrote.

If I cared all that much, I think I'd go with the text of the present Catechism, not to mention the oft-quoted Papal encyclical on the topic, over the blog of a canon lawyer who openly prides himself in being a rock-ribbed, arch-conservative. But then again, I don't fantasize about the Tridentine Mass and getting my knuckles whacked with a ruler by a nun in a full habit like you do.

For the record, I'm actually fine with giving convicts a hot shot under extreme circumstances. Genocidal war criminals, for instance. Or serial killers whose victims included minors. Or terrorists.
                        Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 09-21-2017, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          Except we see cases every day now where that isnt the case. It is easy for you or I to say "just comply you will be ok" because if we comply most likely we will be ok. That isnt true for a growing number of people. (like say Black people or the Deaf guy they just killed)

And again since when is pulling a gun so high up on the list of things cops do? Doing so only escalates situations and causes a fight or flight response. If you arent doing anything wrong and someone (cop or not) pulls a gun on you are you saying you wont freak out? I am literally trained not to and even I doubt I wont freak out a bit. Cops have a responsibility above that of ordinary citizens. If they are going to draw their guns every time someone looks at them sideways they are going to kill more people than they should be. It is basic math man.
                          I commented on the Deaf Guy situation. Taser made the right decision, given the circumstances. Deaf Guy was approaching with a 2 foot pipe in his hand. Taser used non-lethal force. Shooter is in deep sh*, as he should be.

Also, many of these cases, the alleged perp did something to make the cops draw their guns in the first place. Note, I said many, not all.

And trixie is one of the more anti-cop biased people on here. According to him, every cop thinks it's the Wild Wild West out there and they come out a-shootin'. Not the case. Know why it's news? It's a rare occurrence relative to the amount of interactions police have with the public. Think: airplane crashes vs automobile crashes.

Does it happen more than it should? Of course. I'd say a vast majority of cops NEVER want to pull their gun. That is one bad situation, even if nothing ends up happening. But once that gun is pulled, SOME automatically assume that the cop is guilty of being some sort of gung-ho cowboy. That's bullsh*. Wait until all the facts and evidence come out, and then judge. You can speculate, sure, but be ready to eat crow if you're wrong (I say that of everyone, including me).
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            Shooter is in deep sh*, as he should be.
                            Nah, at worst he'll be fired. No jury in Oklahoma will return a homicide conviction under the circumstances - the perp was brandishing a pipe and advancing on them, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              Nah, at worst he'll be fired. No jury in Oklahoma will return a homicide conviction under the circumstances - the perp was brandishing a pipe and advancing on them, remember?
                              I think the fact his partner tased him and neighbors shouting that he was deaf might sway enough. I sure hope so, anyway. And the fact he was developmentally disabled. Manslaughter should definitely be in the cards. I will cede homicide conviction.

Comment

I think the fact his partner tased him and neighbors shouting that he was deaf might sway enough. I sure hope so, anyway. And the fact he was developmentally disabled. Manslaughter should definitely be in the cards. I will cede homicide conviction.
                                To be legally pedantic, homicide is the generic term for any crime that involves the killing of a person, including manslaughter. You're ceding murder charges.

Comment

Working...
                                X