Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    This is pretty bad. If the cops are found not guilty...hooboy.
    It's Diet Texas. He'll skate.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      Uncalled for commentary, son.
      Because you've never implied people wouldn't get shot if they'd only listened to the cops?

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
        Because you've never implied people wouldn't get shot if they'd only listened to the cops?
        I've flat out said it: generally (key word) if Mr Officer is pointing a gun at you, you do what he says, and get it sorted out later.

There are obviously exceptions, LIKE THIS ONE, where the victim was deaf, and was developmentally disabled. The article didn't say how disabled he was, so he might not have understood that a gun was pointed at him, you know?

Using the info provided in the article, Taser made the correct decision in negating the threat. Shooter did not. IMO, this is a training issue (yet again).

As quick as I am to defend cops in most cases, some of you are just as quick to convict them. Heck some of you would convict a cop if he shot a guy running at the cop while double-fisting AR-15s.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I've flat out said it: generally (key word) if Mr Officer is pointing a gun at you, you do what he says, and get it sorted out later.
          This is your actual proposed solution to the problem?

As quick as I am to defend cops in most cases, some of you are just as quick to convict them. Heck some of you would convict a cop if he shot a guy running at the cop while double-fisting AR-15s.
          Yeah because you can convict someone through a forum.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
            This is your actual proposed solution to the problem?
            Better than getting shot, isn't it? Put on your thinking cap, Trixie.
            If the cop is in the wrong, you're alive, and most likely getting paid in a civil suit.

And fine, change "convict" to "condemn."
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Just do what the officer says when he has his gun pointed at you with a ton of adrenaline and has probably already started shooting! JFC

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                Just do what the officer says when he has his gun pointed at you with a ton of adrenaline and has probably already started shooting! JFC
                That's quite the leap you just made. Evel Knievel would have been proud.

Comment

• Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                  So solution when a cop is pointing a gun at you is what?
                  I'm personally doing what he says, especially if I am unarmed.
                  "If you leave ignorance and stupidity alone, ignorance and stupidity will think it's ok."
                  -Gallagher

R.I.P.
                  Grandpa G. ~ Feb 11, 1918-Oct. 6, 1999
                  Grandma ~ Jan 2004
                  Dad ~ Nov. 4, 1958-April 21, 2008
                  Grandpa S. ~ June 21, 1932-November 11, 2013

Comment

• Originally posted by First Time, Long Time View Post
                    So solution when a cop is pointing a gun at you is what?
                    I'm personally doing what he says, especially if I am unarmed.
                    The long term solution is to make it so cops pull their guns far less often. That will involve training, a change in mindset, and almost certainly legal changes to things like qualified immunity and what constitutes a "good shoot".

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                      The long term solution is to make it so cops pull their guns far less often. That will involve training, a change in mindset, and almost certainly legal changes to things like qualified immunity and what constitutes a "good shoot".
                      I think we all agree on that. However, there will still be times when a cop pulls his gun. Those are the situations being discussed right now.

Comment

Need a phaser with a stun setting. Murder, Death, Kill should be rare and avoidable.

But mad dogs need to be put down.
                        CCT '77 & '78
                        4 kids
                        5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                        1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                        - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                          Need a phaser with a stun setting. Murder, Death, Kill should be rare and avoidable.

And right now, cops define anything more aggressive than sunshine and lollipops as being a mad dog. And the legal system lets them get away with it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                            I think we all agree on that. However, there will still be times when a cop pulls his gun. Those are the situations being discussed right now.
                            If we get to a situation where cops aren't allowed to pull their guns often enough, you'd have a foot to stand on. But we are so far down the other direction that it's absurd to worry about a cop not being able to pull his gun when needed. For Fark's sake, there's anecdotal evidence of at least one cop being fired for not shooting quickly enough.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                              Maybe you want to limit it to that, but the problem is that by the time the cop pulls his gun, it's too late to change the outcome. Because you don't point a gun at anything you aren't willing to shoot. So pointing a gun indicates the cop already believes deadly force is likely to be necessary.

If we get to a situation where cops aren't allowed to pull their guns often enough, you'd have a foot to stand on. But are so far down the other direction that it's absurd to worry about a cop not being able to pull his gun when needed.
                              Willing to, and actually doing are two different things.
                              And pulling a weapon means deadly force is a possibility, not a likelihood.

Comment

Originally posted by joecct View Post
                                So much for being "pro life", eh?

Comment

Working...
                                X