Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
    That would be my position. On duty = cameras on.
    We agree on other things too, but I feel this is a breakthrough on this thread.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      We agree on other things too, but I feel this is a breakthrough on this thread.
      I know we differ on our police views, but really, if the cops have cameras, record everything. Period. I think that is just common sense.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

I know we differ on our police views, but really, if the cops have cameras, record everything. Period. I think that is just common sense.
        We don't necessarily disagree on the cops, Brent. I just don't want a cop slinging lead into someone who is running away, or hasn't presented a threat, regardless of skin color.

Comment

Scooby's post, partial: ....and they have body cameras but they were off at the time of this incident.

WHY WERE THEY NOT ON?

Seriously. That's the part that actually bothers me the most. Even more than a woman losing her life. This could justify her death, or condemn her death, the tools were there, and......nothing.
          I doubt their policies require them to have them on in the car. Likely to save storage space. Dash cam/audio may also not have been on - they only turn on automatically when the lights/siren are activated.

If the audio was on, it could be dispositive. Every cop video I've seen has in-car audio as well as external. The mic is in the back/passenger area, but it should still pick up whatever's going on in front.
          Last edited by unofan; 07-17-2017, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Keep in mind, HD video takes up something like 1-8 GB/hr. Maybe more. Storage has issues. I suppose it's possible to get everything onto a 64 GB card. So maybe storage isn't an issue.

But it becomes an issue if you now need to store terabytes or petabytes of data for hundreds of officers and likely keep them for up to a year or more.
            Code:
            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
            Originally posted by SanTropez
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
            Originally posted by Kepler
            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Keep in mind, HD video takes up something like 1-8 GB/hr. Maybe more. Storage has issues. I suppose it's possible to get everything onto a 64 GB card. So maybe storage isn't an issue.

But it becomes an issue if you now need to store terabytes or petabytes of data for hundreds of officers and likely keep them for up to a year or more.
              So I read an article that the cameras have a built-in 30 second buffer, so if they don't have them on but something happens, the cop is supposed to turn it on, and it will show video from 30 seconds before that point.

That didn't happen here.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                We don't necessarily disagree on the cops, Brent. I just don't want a cop slinging lead into someone who is running away, or hasn't presented a threat, regardless of skin color.
                I agree on you there. I could be wrong, but I think I'm a bit more defensive of cops than you are, in cases like this (obviously depending on the case).
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  This part.

Comment

Originally posted by unofan View Post
                    So I read an article that the cameras have a built-in 30 second buffer, so if they don't have them on but something happens, the cop is supposed to turn it on, and it will show video from 30 seconds before that point.

That didn't happen here.
                    Interesting. It can't be hard to design them to automatically lock themselves on after registering a gunshot.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I agree on you there. I could be wrong, but I think I'm a bit more defensive of cops than you are, in cases like this (obviously depending on the case).
                      And you're right. This is conservatism.

Several months ago, I stopped at a red light behind another car. Left a little room for the city cop on the corner to walk past. I motion for him to walk across, and he goes..."Huh?" He and I both laugh when he thinks I'm worried that I've engaged him. If I were black, God knows what would've happened.

Comment

Dash cams are often on even if they're in the vehicle.

Also if this officer is the same one that helped a homicide investigation (of a local Somali woman) during a recent The First 48 episode (about 1 year ago) he didn't come across as a nut-baller.
                        Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-18-2017, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Just Another Good Guy With a Gun!
                          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Also if this officer is the same one that helped a homicide investigation (of a local Somali woman) during a recent The First 48 episode (about 1 year ago) he didn't come across as a nut-baller.
                            Sounds like this was plotted by John sandford - get Sloan to have a talk with him about all these dead women.
                            Huskies are very intelligent and trainable. Huskies make an excellent jogging companion, as long as it is not too hot. Grooming is minimal; bathing is normally unnecessary.
                            USCHO Fantasy Baseball Champion 2011 2013 2015

Comment

I'm a little confused by the reporting from MLPS. So this woman was on the driver's side of the police car, presumably leaning down/towards the driver's window... And the officer riding shotgun is the triggerman?

So, this officer discharged his weapon inside the patrol cruiser firing across his partner and out the driver's door? Has anyone asked the other officer involved if his ears have stopped ringing?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

That's how I've read it. I have absolutely no idea why his weapon was drawn inside the car.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X