Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by joecct View Post
    When they changed from being community cops to a para military organization??

But the nature of criminals changed, too.
    The militarization has played a large part in my personal evolution. But the facts don't line up with the rhetoric out of police departments about the changing nature of criminals. Criminals are not "outgunning" the cops. There is no empirical evidence that criminals are more likely to use a firearm when confronting a cop today either. It is a fact though that policing has become safer and safer in each succeeding decade over the last 50 years. While there is always a spike in this year or that year or next year, decade over decade, fewer cops are getting assaulted on the job and fewer are getting killed on the job. The numbers correspond to the overall decrease in crime over the decades. The fact remains that the most likely cause of injury or death while working for a cop is a traffic accident. And not a traffic accident as the result of a high speed chase. Just a crash, like you or I might have.

What you will begin to probably see is the likelihood that criminals may feel they have nothing to lose by firing on cops though. If they feel the cops are trigger happy if they AREN'T armed, what will an armed person think? Cops are setting themselves up for criminals to get more emboldened and develop their own "shoot first" mentality. Again, if there are good cops out there who only want to make their communities a safer place and go out of their way to treat all people respectfully and professionally, they better get their act together. Because once the bad guys get to the point where they think THEY'VE got nothing to lose, they are not going to take the time to figure out if the cop they encounter is one of the "good ones" or if he's some "knight of the KKK" dressed up as a public servant.

Comment

How so?

Comment

You should read Gangs of New York.

Criminality hasn't changed one bit.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Kepler View Post
          You should read Gangs of New York.

Criminality hasn't changed one bit.
          I was of two minds posting that. I was thinking of the Cartel gangs vs. the Chicago mob (wash). But MS-13 tipped it.
          CCT '77 & '78
          4 kids
          5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
          1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
          - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
            How so?
            Like most on the right, he is easily duped when anyone who wears a gun as part of their job (military and law enforcement) says anything. Its understandable, since law enforcement and the military are the only institutions of government that those on the right think are worthy. Just like Johnson and Nixon and Bush all lied or had others lie for them when it comes to military action, police chiefs have lied for 30 years or more now about how the criminals are becoming more violent and they all have more and bigger guns. And just like presidents, police officials know too many reflexively believe them.

Comment

I was of two minds posting that. I was thinking of the Cartel gangs vs. the Chicago mob (wash). But MS-13 tipped it.
              The Chicago mob were hair dressers compared to Five Points. MS-13 might qualify for those guys' maiden aunts.
              Cornell University
              National Champion 1967, 1970
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
                That **** is ****ed up.
                It is about as disturbing as the James Blake incident...of course he was only standing around being Black so I still say Blake is the winner.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  Like most on the right, he is easily duped when anyone who wears a gun as part of their job (military and law enforcement) says anything. Its understandable, since law enforcement and the military are the only institutions of government that those on the right think are worthy. Just like Johnson and Nixon and Bush all lied or had others lie for them when it comes to military action, police chiefs have lied for 30 years or more now about how the criminals are becoming more violent and they all have more and bigger guns. And just like presidents, police officials know too many reflexively believe them.
                  Law enforcement has always asked for more, bigger and better equipment. In fact, tell me any person or group that competes with another group that doesn't make that request. Business managers push their bosses/owners for better equipment and facilities. College coaches want better stadiums and practice facilities.

Those that control the purse strings are always in that tug of war with those who want more.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    They werent worthy when they got cancer because of 9/11...
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

How many cops have been shot or killed by MS-13? See what I mean by how people on the right fall for anything government officials with guns say?

I know this link is to a Washington Post article, so you'll probably think it is "fake news" but the fact is the militarization of our police forces has actually led to MORE violence, not less. If you disagree, feel free to find some empirical evidence that supports your claim. Post it and I will read it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        The Chicago mob were hair dressers compared to Five Points. MS-13 might qualify for those guys' maiden aunts.
                        It is so odd listening to people talk about how tough it is to be a cop in the US...cops in Latin America have it 100 times worse and they find a way to still do the job. Do you think they would get all uppity because some Futbol player didnt stand and salute the flag before a Friendly?
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

The hits just keep coming...

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/09/06...force-lawsuit/

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                            If one civilian did this to another, and the second civilian ended up using deadly force because they had a fear for their life, what do you think would happen? I keep saying it and right wing knuckle draggers think I am advocating for violence against the cops when I do, but this will keep happening to the point where some people feel they may as well just shoot the cop and take their chances. Look at the video of the cops in Euclid Ohio who needlessly assaulted a black man a few weeks ago. How did they know his girlfriend did not have a gun? Whether or not she would have been justified in shooting either one of the cops, would they not be just as dead had she done so? It shouldn't have to come down to arming ourselves as protection against the police, but I have to say, I'll be da mn ed before I let someone needlessly and illegally assault me. This is an epidemic, people. The longer the right defends the cops as their first and only response, the more likely we will see open warfare directed at them.

Comment

• Originally posted by joecct View Post
                              Objection, assumes facts not in evidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                                They are protesting his protest. It's a vicious circle that frankly, is accomplishing nothing.
                                Do these officers understand how bad it looks that they're protesting a man's simple action of taking a knee during the national anthem because he's protesting the fact that the Thin Blue Line has stood strong in protecting what appears to be a near constant killing of innocent people, usually minority people? From this otherwise supporter of LEOs, they need to step back and take stock of the fact that they're condoning manslaughter when it's "one of them" that's doing the killing.
                                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Working...
                                X