Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast

Thread: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, no. The only similarities were it was a black man with a gun.

Castile was in a car, calm, wasn't reported as firing the gun, wasn't reported as being drunk, didn't run, and didn't pull his gun.
    This guy did all of that exactly opposite.
    I wasn't comparing to Castille.

In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.
    99% agree

Im not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but its about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I dont have a solution for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Bingo.

The cops had no idea of this guy's intentions. One comment in the Star Trib said it wasn't illegal to own a gun. Um, in this case it was. He was a felon.
    You're a cop. You roll up to a person who's been drinking, has fired shots, and has been reported as unpredictable. You exit your vehicle, this person brandishes a gun and runs like hell.

You have a split second to decide what to do.

Case closed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    99% agree

I’m not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but it’s about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I don’t have a solution for that.
    The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.

If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.
    Yeah, firing a gun indiscriminately into the air while drunk isn't dangerous to people at all...

Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
    Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him

Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him
    How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.

How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.
    I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.

I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.
    How about DROP THE GUN YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T HAVE, and let everything work out. You follow the cops' orders, you may spend some time in jail, and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions. And you are not dead. How about that? Does that work for you?

Edit: If you run, you dead. You didn't follow the instructions. How's that?

and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions.
    Fantasy

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Fantasy
    You don't read the news much do you, or understand civil cases?

How about DROP THE GUN YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T HAVE, and let everything work out. You follow the cops' orders, you may spend some time in jail, and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions. And you are not dead. How about that? Does that work for you?

Edit: If you run, you dead. You didn't follow the instructions. How's that?
    He was not holding the gun. I don't know how many times I need to point that out. The gun was not in his hands.

(((NPC)))

I wouldnt have a gun and be firing it off.

I am sorry but you and trix can die on this mountain alone.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

(((NPC)))

He was not holding the gun. I don't know how many times I need to point that out. The gun was not in his hands.
    He had already fired the gun. How many times do we have to say that to you?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    He had already fired the gun. How many times do we have to say that to you?
    What did the cops see when they arrived? I've been told he was brandishing his weapon when they got there, false. I've been told he should have dropped a gun he wasn't holding when they got there. I'm not saying he didn't fire his gun, but the cops pulled up to a guy sitting on the curb talking to a woman with a small child in a stroller. There was no life threatening situation when they arrived. They could have toned it down a notch.

What did the cops see when they arrived? I've been told he was brandishing his weapon when they got there, false. I've been told he should have dropped a gun he wasn't holding when they got there. I'm not saying he didn't fire his gun, but the cops pulled up to a guy sitting on the curb talking to a woman with a small child in a stroller. There was no life threatening situation when they arrived. They could have toned it down a notch.
    I think when they arrived you can hear one of the cops exclaim, immediately before they exit their car, "he's got a gun!" In the video, as stabilized and slowed down, you can clearly see the handle of a handgun sticking out of what looks to me to be the right front pocket of his shorts as he is sitting on the curb and leaps to his feet, but it could be his waistband. I assume when you are a cop called to the scene of someone discharging a gun into the air in broad daylight, the adrenaline is flowing, and when you see a guy with a gun, even more so.

The guy's gun was in his pocket, or the waist of his shorts, and at some point he pulls it out into his hand. The video pretty clearly shows it in his pants, and later shows it in his hand. That is a recipe to get shot when you are in the process of being confronted by or chased by cops. Leave the gun where it's at. Keep your hands away from it. Don't run. Don't pull it out of your pocket.

https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...shooting-video
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

God Bless America

Massachusetts Town Loses Its Entire Police Force as All 4 Members Quit

For Elaine Greene, a retiree who emerged from the town offices carrying a three-pound toy poodle in a carrier, the sudden lack of local police officers was not a concern.

Im a member of the N.R.A., Ms. Greene said, smiling. I can take care of myself if the need arises.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Glass at 0%: No Heart

I’m not fully in jerp’s side here in the sense that I think the guy was dangerous given that he was firing a gun indiscriminately while hammered.

The problem is if he’s as dangerous as they say then sending one cop car by itself seems ridiculous and I’ve seen far more cops get sent to the dinkytown “riot”, peaceful protests, and other less dangerous situations (Rick Stanek sent IDK how many cops to the Dakota Access Pipeline ). You don’t get to have it both ways.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 08-01-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Thread Information