Page 47 of 51 FirstFirst ... 373839404142434445464748495051 LastLast
Results 921 to 940 of 1001

Thread: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

  1. #921
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,130

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Yeah, no. The only similarities were it was a black man with a gun.

    Castile was in a car, calm, wasn't reported as firing the gun, wasn't reported as being drunk, didn't run, and didn't pull his gun.
    This guy did all of that exactly opposite.
    I wasn't comparing to Castille.

  2. #922
    I got nothing Slap Shot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    Clark Freeport Zone, Philippines
    Posts
    30,307

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.

  3. #923
    Lucia Apologist
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    26,536

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.
    99% agree

    Im not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but its about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I dont have a solution for that.

  4. #924
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,604

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    In this case the cops got it "right" in how they handled it. I don't mean the guy deserved to die but rather he left them no choice but to fire on him.
    Bingo.

    The cops had no idea of this guy's intentions. One comment in the Star Trib said it wasn't illegal to own a gun. Um, in this case it was. He was a felon.
    You're a cop. You roll up to a person who's been drinking, has fired shots, and has been reported as unpredictable. You exit your vehicle, this person brandishes a gun and runs like hell.

    You have a split second to decide what to do.

    Case closed.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  5. #925
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    99% agree

    I’m not sure rolling in super hot and escalating the way they did was perfect, but it’s about as close as you can get in a hot situation where gunshots have already been reported. I don’t have a solution for that.
    The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

    To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.

  6. #926
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,604

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  7. #927
    Minding the gap MinnesotaNorthStar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    30,188

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    The dude was sitting on the curb talking to a lady with his gun in his pants. That isn't a situation that calls for coming in full speed guns drawn. The reports were there was a drunk guy firing into the air, not at people. I haven't seen a thing saying he was reported as being violent. They absolutely could have rolled up and tried talking to him, or just let him run, he wasn't violent.

    To Brent's point, he did NOT brandish his weapon then run, he ran and pulled it out at some point while running and screaming to be left alone.
    Yeah, firing a gun indiscriminately into the air while drunk isn't dangerous to people at all...

    Matt Frattin for Hobey!!
    Originally posted by Quizmire
    mns, this is why i love you.

    Originally posted by Markt
    MNS - forking genius.

    Originally posted by asterisk hat
    MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

    Originally posted by hockeybando
    I am a fan of MNS.

  8. #928
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    If this case isn't cut and dried justified, and sorrow, I don't know what is. I really don't. Active shooter, while drinking. F'real, folks......
    Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him

  9. #929
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,604

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    Deadly force should be a last resort, not the first option. He was so dangerous that a lady with a small child was cool to be there talking with him
    How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

    You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  10. #930
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    How about not firing a gun randomly, while drinking, then not obeying an officer's command, and THEN brandishing said gun you deny having?

    You go ahead and put yourself in the cops' position, and hear people criticizing you. "Oh, just talk him down!" Yeah, not that easy.
    I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.

  11. #931
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,604

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.
    How about DROP THE GUN YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T HAVE, and let everything work out. You follow the cops' orders, you may spend some time in jail, and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions. And you are not dead. How about that? Does that work for you?

    Edit: If you run, you dead. You didn't follow the instructions. How's that?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  12. #932
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    8,103

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions.
    Fantasy

  13. #933
    Anti-Semantic The Rube's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Chez Rube
    Posts
    115,604

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    Fantasy
    You don't read the news much do you, or understand civil cases?
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

  14. #934
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    How about DROP THE GUN YOU SAID YOU DIDN'T HAVE, and let everything work out. You follow the cops' orders, you may spend some time in jail, and if it's a wrongful arrest, you get millions. And you are not dead. How about that? Does that work for you?

    Edit: If you run, you dead. You didn't follow the instructions. How's that?
    He was not holding the gun. I don't know how many times I need to point that out. The gun was not in his hands.

  15. #935
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,843

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    I'd like to see an officer charge at you with his gun drawn and see how you do at following his commands. I'm guessing the instinct to run like hell is pretty **** strong. And then when they yell I'll ****1ng kill you, it doesn't feel like stopping is a natural instinct either. Again, the way they rolled in, there was only one way this could possibly end. You're ok with it, I'm not.
    I wouldnt have a gun and be firing it off.

    I am sorry but you and trix can die on this mountain alone.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  16. #936
    (((NPC)))
    Join Date
    Nov 2000
    Location
    Crystal, MN
    Posts
    38,843

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    He was not holding the gun. I don't know how many times I need to point that out. The gun was not in his hands.
    He had already fired the gun. How many times do we have to say that to you?
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

    "Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

    Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

  17. #937
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Colo Spgs
    Posts
    3,641

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    He had already fired the gun. How many times do we have to say that to you?
    What did the cops see when they arrived? I've been told he was brandishing his weapon when they got there, false. I've been told he should have dropped a gun he wasn't holding when they got there. I'm not saying he didn't fire his gun, but the cops pulled up to a guy sitting on the curb talking to a woman with a small child in a stroller. There was no life threatening situation when they arrived. They could have toned it down a notch.

  18. #938
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Posts
    6,895

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    Quote Originally Posted by jerphisch View Post
    What did the cops see when they arrived? I've been told he was brandishing his weapon when they got there, false. I've been told he should have dropped a gun he wasn't holding when they got there. I'm not saying he didn't fire his gun, but the cops pulled up to a guy sitting on the curb talking to a woman with a small child in a stroller. There was no life threatening situation when they arrived. They could have toned it down a notch.
    I think when they arrived you can hear one of the cops exclaim, immediately before they exit their car, "he's got a gun!" In the video, as stabilized and slowed down, you can clearly see the handle of a handgun sticking out of what looks to me to be the right front pocket of his shorts as he is sitting on the curb and leaps to his feet, but it could be his waistband. I assume when you are a cop called to the scene of someone discharging a gun into the air in broad daylight, the adrenaline is flowing, and when you see a guy with a gun, even more so.

    The guy's gun was in his pocket, or the waist of his shorts, and at some point he pulls it out into his hand. The video pretty clearly shows it in his pants, and later shows it in his hand. That is a recipe to get shot when you are in the process of being confronted by or chased by cops. Leave the gun where it's at. Keep your hands away from it. Don't run. Don't pull it out of your pocket.

    https://www.vox.com/identities/2018/...shooting-video
    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

  19. #939
    NPC ScoobyDoo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2001
    Location
    The 9th Circle
    Posts
    70,153

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    God Bless America

    Massachusetts Town Loses Its Entire Police Force as All 4 Members Quit

    For Elaine Greene, a retiree who emerged from the town offices carrying a three-pound toy poodle in a carrier, the sudden lack of local police officers was not a concern.

    Im a member of the N.R.A., Ms. Greene said, smiling. I can take care of myself if the need arises.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/07/31/u...imes&smtyp=cur
    Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

    Glass at 0%: No Heart

  20. #940
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    3,130

    Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

    I’m not fully in jerp’s side here in the sense that I think the guy was dangerous given that he was firing a gun indiscriminately while hammered.

    The problem is if he’s as dangerous as they say then sending one cop car by itself seems ridiculous and I’ve seen far more cops get sent to the dinkytown “riot”, peaceful protests, and other less dangerous situations (Rick Stanek sent IDK how many cops to the Dakota Access Pipeline ). You don’t get to have it both ways.
    Last edited by trixR4kids; 08-01-2018 at 10:31 AM.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •