Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    What became of this?
    Best I could tell, someone at Hyvee hit a silent alarm and the cops responded after like two minutes or so. By then the guy was already gone. They set up a couple block perimeter and were pulling in cops from the county and a couple other cities. Dogs were called out but lost the scent.

Not entirely sure what went down.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• LVPD releases Michael Bennett video, which reveals nothing. Also noted the cops turned off their body cams at the moment of arrest.

https://deadspin.com/new-michael-ben...-wa-1819024503
      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
      Patreon for exclusive writing content
      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
        LVPD releases Michael Bennett video, which reveals nothing. Also noted the cops turned off their body cams at the moment of arrest.

https://deadspin.com/new-michael-ben...-wa-1819024503
        Turning off the cams needs to be a felony.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
          Easy for me to argue that turning off dash cams or body cams is obstruction of justice. In many cases obstruction is already a felony. Wake me up when the next cop that turns off (or actually even fails to turn on) is CHARGED with obstruction, let alone prosecuted diligently enough to secure a conviction.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Agreed. But why can they be turned off in the first place?
            Code:
            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
              Agreed. But why can they be turned off in the first place?
              I would guess the amount of data/cost/etc, of worthless footage; like a cop just radaring people for speeding for an hour.....that sorta thing.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Europe has overzealous cops, too.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-41463719

Comment

Nicely done.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                    I would guess the amount of data/cost/etc, of worthless footage; like a cop just radaring people for speeding for an hour.....that sorta thing.
                    It's not that much storage if you're not taking video in HD. For the most part, that shouldn't be necessary. Also, you have a month or two of backup data stored, and then when a challenge is made, that video gets copied onto long-term storage for use in any investigation and/or trial. And files can be zipped. In addition to that, they don't need to have the camera recording 24/7, only when in the process of making contact with someone.
                    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      It's not that much storage if you're not taking video in HD. For the most part, that shouldn't be necessary. Also, you have a month or two of backup data stored, and then when a challenge is made, that video gets copied onto long-term storage for use in any investigation and/or trial. And files can be zipped. In addition to that, they don't need to have the camera recording 24/7, only when in the process of making contact with someone.
                      I agree they should be on in the case of any interaction with another person. DX had asked why they can be even turned off in the first place....
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                        I had previously argued that it was too much storage. I still think it will be expensive. I was also arguing that under the assumption people who turned it off would be punished.

I was dumb.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                          I had previously argued that it was too much storage. I still think it will be expensive. I was also arguing that under the assumption people who turned it off would be punished.

I was dumb.
                          It will be expensive, but I think it could be a manageable expense, and soon come to be an expected expense as cities find it harder and harder to get insurers to cover them until insurance riders regarding body cams and usage dictations become the norm in those contracts.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Excellent point.
                            Code:

Comment

It would seem a bit odd for a city to complain about the expense of cameras and digital storage at the same time so many of them are paying out tens of millions of dollars a year in wrongful death settlements when cops shoot unarmed citizens.

Comment

I have always assumed the reason body cameras are turned off and on in normal operation is battery life. Battery life for continuous recording is 2-3 hours on a GoPro for example. Outside of any possible nefarious reasons, cops in some of these high stress situations would have to remember the step of turning them on, which I imagine is something a long time cop is not used to thinking about in the first place.
                                Originally posted by WiscTJK
                                I'm with Wisko and Tim.
                                Originally posted by Timothy A
                                Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Working...
                                X