Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Yeah but you see when you ignore all the context then it's that much easier to just blame the protestors.

Comment

Jim:

Go ahead and roll your eyes. I commend the peaceful protesters. I commend the cops for not over-reacting to some of the unruly protesters. I condemn the unruly protesters. If that's wrong, I don't wanna be right.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

God how it must be for you to be white.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
          God how it must be for you to be white.
          Yup. Uh huh. Keep rolling, man. Do what you do.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

He's not the one consistently rolling ITT.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
              He's not the one consistently rolling ITT.
              I am not sorry for not supporting smashing up the mayor's house, or not supporting violent protests. It's bullsh*. If you want to support breaking the law, have fun with that. I won't have your back.

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                I am not sorry for not supporting smashing up the mayor's house, or not supporting violent protests. It's bullsh*. If you want to support breaking the law, have fun with that. I won't have your back.
                What do we do when peaceful protests do not bring about the change in law enforcement that our society desperately needs Brent? We already know how opposed you are to having your commute disrupted. Perhaps the threat of seeing their businesses burned down will be the ONLY thing that gets the haves out there to realize they better find a way to address the needs of the have-nots. One of those needs is to not see so many unarmed young black men shot without good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                  What do we do when peaceful protests do not bring about the change in law enforcement that our society desperately needs Brent? We already know how opposed you are to having your commute disrupted. Perhaps the threat of seeing their businesses burned down will be the ONLY thing that gets the haves out there to realize they better find a way to address the needs of the have-nots. One of those needs is to not see so many unarmed young black men shot without good reason.
                  You are supporting arson? Really? That is simply ridiculous.

Comment

Which is a worse tragedy:

Case 1. A cop kills an innocent person.

Case 2. A perp kills a cop.

I propose if you think Case 2 is a worse tragedy you do not belong in law enforcement.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Which is a worse tragedy:

Case 1. A cop kills an innocent person.

Case 2. A perp kills a cop.

I propose if you think Case 2 is a worse tragedy you do not belong in law enforcement.
                      I get what you are saying, and I think both are horrible.

Comment

I get what you are saying, and I think both are horrible.
                        Of course, but in the second case the victim is a professional who signed up for the risk, whereas in the first it's just somebody walking down the street.

The problem with the cops circling the wagons when one of their own is under investigation is that it brings back the quote from Bladerunner: "You know the score, pal. You're not cop, you're little people."

Part of the contract when we give a cop a gun is that there are situations in which he will take the hit for us. That is a hard, hard job. I wouldn't risk it and I respect the people who do. But you can't say "we respect cops because they risk their lives so, since we respect them, we should allow them to shoot when they feel at risk." No. That is self-contradictory. The job is, at bottom, that if you find yourself with a choice between risking your own death and the death of somebody potentially innocent you will choose not to harm the potentially innocent person and risk your own death. That is magnificent heroism, but it is heroism because of the risk.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

You are supporting arson? Really? That is simply ridiculous.
                          You have to do a better job of understanding what people are saying Brent. There is a difference between condoning and understanding. I did not condone the murder of 5 cops in Texas at a rally last year but I understand the toxic conditions forced on the black community by far too many rogue cops and departments that led to something as unthinkable as that happening. The truth of the conditions and the truth of tepid responses to them by people like you and people with a lot more pull and power than you is leading us to a point where quiet marches down city sidewalks holding signs ain't gonna change a fvcking thing. My hope is always that voting and quiet marches bring about needed change. But I am also aware enough of things beyond my own experiences as a white, educated somewhat professional man to know that the hurts suffered by people who don't look like me perpetrated by people who do lead us to where we are. So no, I'm not supporting arson. But I understand why the match is struck, and I spend most of my working life and part of my personal life trying to create a society where that doesn't need to happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                            Of course, but in the second case the victim is a professional who signed up for the risk, whereas in the first it's just somebody walking down the street.

The problem with the cops circling the wagons when one of their own is under investigation is that it brings back the quote from Bladerunner: "You know the score, pal. You're not cop, you're little people."

Part of the contract when we give a cop a gun is that there are situations in which he will take the hit for us. That is a hard, hard job. I wouldn't risk it and I respect the people who do. But you can't say "we respect cops because they risk their lives so, since we respect them, we should allow them to shoot when they feel at risk." No. That is self-contradictory. The job is, at bottom, that if you find yourself with a choice between risking your own death and the death of somebody potentially innocent you will choose not to harm the potentially innocent person and risk your own death. That is magnificent heroism, but it is heroism because of the risk.
                            The heroism you speak of is in woefully short supply in law enforcement, but is truly wondrous in the few instances it is still evident. Good cops are actual angels on Earth. But if it were that bad in the fire service, the whole country would be burning down while firefighters were at a gas station filling up jerry cans to throw on a blaze somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              You have to do a better job of understanding what people are saying Brent. There is a difference between condoning and understanding. I did not condone the murder of 5 cops in Texas at a rally last year but I understand the toxic conditions forced on the black community by far too many rogue cops and departments that led to something as unthinkable as that happening. The truth of the conditions and the truth of tepid responses to them by people like you and people with a lot more pull and power than you is leading us to a point where quiet marches down city sidewalks holding signs ain't gonna change a fvcking thing. My hope is always that voting and quiet marches bring about needed change. But I am also aware enough of things beyond my own experiences as a white, educated somewhat professional man to know that the hurts suffered by people who don't look like me perpetrated by people who do lead us to where we are. So no, I'm not supporting arson. But I understand why the match is struck, and I spend most of my working life and part of my personal life trying to create a society where that doesn't need to happen.
                              However, you said, "If that is what it takes..." Unacceptable. If anything, that will force the other side to double down on their sh*. And in the StL case, this guy was hardly innocent.

Comment

One side breaks a window, the other kills an innocent person. "BOTH SIDES GUYS SOUTH PARK SAID SO!"

Comment

Working...
                                X