Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Underage Drinking = Beatdown
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

This cop seems like a reasonable, stand up guy.
      http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...about-parkland

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        Just a few bad apples, isn't that what I keep hearing?
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
          Just a few bad apples, isn't that what I keep hearing?
          According the last statistics I saw, there are in the neighborhood of 40 million contacts between police officers and private citizens annually in this country. That averages out to about 110,000 per day. Figure Memorial Day weekend is a time where those numbers are up slightly, so lets figure 125,000 contacts.

Yeah, a thug with a badge in New Jersey beat up a smart-azzed drunk chick on a beach. But I only wish the ratio of good to bad apples for real apples at my grocery store was that good. Needle in a haystack may be more appropriate.
          That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
            According the last statistics I saw, there are in the neighborhood of 40 million contacts between police officers and private citizens annually in this country. That averages out to about 110,000 per day. Figure Memorial Day weekend is a time where those numbers are up slightly, so lets figure 125,000 contacts.

Yeah, a thug with a badge in New Jersey beat up a smart-azzed drunk chick on a beach. But I only wish the ratio of good to bad apples for real apples at my grocery store was that good. Needle in a haystack may be more appropriate.
            You know not every one of these gets caught on tape...but even so doesnt the sheer amount of these that have showed up lately give you at least a little pause? You can spout stats all you want to but how about you go to youtube and just do a basic search.

But hey if you want to believe that the only bad cops are the ones caught on tape that is cool. Hey you i the market for some beachfront property...its awesome and cheap and Iowa is full of it!
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

And as a white guy who sees myself as pretty law abiding I'd expect all my encounters to be pretty peaceful too. How nice for us, F the rest of em.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                You know not every one of these gets caught on tape...but even so doesnt the sheer amount of these that have showed up lately give you at least a little pause? You can spout stats all you want to but how about you go to youtube and just do a basic search.

But hey if you want to believe that the only bad cops are the ones caught on tape that is cool. Hey you i the market for some beachfront property...its awesome and cheap and Iowa is full of it!
                The number of times that cops abuse someone they encounter professionally should be zero. The amount of times that teachers have sex with their students should be zero. The number of times that children get kidnapped and sold to sex traffickers should be zero.

What I'm saying is that 40 million encounters, 110,000/day is a lot of encounters. And no, not every single bad encounter is caught on video, but a lot of them are, and we hear about every single one. Even so, the fraction of encounters that result in police misconduct is so minuscule compared with the encounters where police act appropriately that to even say "one bad apple" is to overstate it.
                That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

The number of times that cops abuse someone they encounter professionally should be zero. The amount of times that teachers have sex with their students should be zero. The number of times that children get kidnapped and sold to sex traffickers should be zero.

What I'm saying is that 40 million encounters, 110,000/day is a lot of encounters. And no, not every single bad encounter is caught on video, but a lot of them are, and we hear about every single one. Even so, the fraction of encounters that result in police misconduct is so minuscule compared with the encounters where police act appropriately that to even say "one bad apple" is to overstate it.
                  I understand it is not your point to say these are infrequent so they don't matter, but that's what it sounds like you are saying, at least to me. But the real point is they happen, and unless they get publicized and there are consequences directed at bad cops because of these encounters, they don't stop. We need to hear about ALL of them. We need to see all of the bad cop videos.

The thing that would help the most is good cops going after the bad ones in their midst. The odd thing, if the good cops so far outnumber the bad ones, is that never seems to happen. If there are so many good cops who only have professional and proper interactions with the public why are they not driving the bad ones out of the business of law enforcement?

Bad cops may be like commercial airline disasters. But after those happen, the NTSB has always gone to the Nth degree to figure out what happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. Billions of passenger miles are flown every year and rarely does a flight end badly. Fatal accidents are almost a thing of the past. If we paid as much attention to the so-called extremely rare instances of bad cops who are caught on tape doing bad things, we'd eliminate that problem too in about a year or so.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                    I understand it is not your point to say these are infrequent so they don't matter, but that's what it sounds like you are saying, at least to me. But the real point is they happen, and unless they get publicized and there are consequences directed at bad cops because of these encounters, they don't stop. We need to hear about ALL of them. We need to see all of the bad cop videos.

The thing that would help the most is good cops going after the bad ones in their midst. The odd thing, if the good cops so far outnumber the bad ones, is that never seems to happen. If there are so many good cops who only have professional and proper interactions with the public why are they not driving the bad ones out of the business of law enforcement?

Bad cops may be like commercial airline disasters. But after those happen, the NTSB has always gone to the Nth degree to figure out what happened and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. Billions of passenger miles are flown every year and rarely does a flight end badly. Fatal accidents are almost a thing of the past. If we paid as much attention to the so-called extremely rare instances of bad cops who are caught on tape doing bad things, we'd eliminate that problem too in about a year or so.
                    I have no problem with publishing the videos. I think it's good the conduct gets exposed. I also agree with the idea that cops should be prosecuted for their wrongdoing just like anyone else.

But what I was responding to was a post and a thought that has been repeated by some on this Board that what we saw in the New Jersey video is closer to the rule than the exception with respect to police/public interactions. I have long held that while the individual events are horrific and unacceptable, they are but a tiny, tiny fraction of what we see overall in terms of police conduct, which I think is generally good.

Comment

I have no problem with publishing the videos. I think it's good the conduct gets exposed. I also agree with the idea that cops should be prosecuted for their wrongdoing just like anyone else.

But what I was responding to was a post and a thought that has been repeated by some on this Board that what we saw in the New Jersey video is closer to the rule than the exception with respect to police/public interactions. I have long held that while the individual events are horrific and unacceptable, they are but a tiny, tiny fraction of what we see overall in terms of police conduct, which I think is generally good.
                      I get it. Even I don't think anywhere close to a majority of the interactions cops have with the public are anything but proper, professional and completely by the book, and I am probably the most knee jerk anti-cop reactionary on this forum. But I don't think though it is even a salient point to make that these events are rare. That anything that absolutely should not happen is rare is not an important distinction, other than to note rarer is better than more common. And I don't think they are actually as rare as your statistics make them out to be. Statistics can muddle the waters where these things are concerned. They are widespread enough that they happen from one end of the country to the next, and they are common enough that we rarely go more than a day or two without another one becoming viral.

To use your numbers (40 million or so encounters between the public and the police annually), it does appear that police misconduct is a much more serious problem than voter fraud, yet voter fraud gets far more attention and political hand-wringing on any given day. One study conducted by the Kansas Secretary of State (a noted right winger who has been accused of voter suppression tactics), there were just 14 cases of suspected voter fraud in over 84 million ballots cast in 22 different states. A rate of .00000017 percent. I would hope even the most ardent of our law enforcement supporters would admit that there were a lot more than a couple dozen encounters in the last 2 years that were flat out criminal, let alone horribly unprofessional. We do a lot to stop voter fraud that is not happening, yet we do very little to stop bad cops from behaving badly when we don't even really need to change laws that already exist that would punish and/or prevent it.
                      Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 05-29-2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

A lot of things are rare, that doesn't mean we shouldn't fix them if they're a problem. If your family drives down the highway and falls off a cliff because the road wasn't marked clearly I kinda doubt that you're gonna just say, "well it was rare, so that makes it ok, better not fix anything!".

Also what isn't rare is these cops getting some kind of minor discipline, keeping their jobs, and their superiors/fellow officers defending their every action which creates a lot of distrust from the public.
                        Last edited by trixR4kids; 05-29-2018, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Saying it should be better doesn't necessarily mean it's an epidemic.

Comment

Don't like the po-po? Divest!
                            The preceding post may contain trigger words and is not safe-space approved. <-- Virtue signaling.

North Dakota Hockey:

Comment

That's not gonna solve the greater problem and I'm guessing most black/brown people already don't call the police when they have a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by trixR4kids View Post
                                That's not gonna solve the greater problem and I'm guessing most black/brown people already don't call the police when they have a problem.
                                If you were black why would you ever call the cops unless you were swatting an enemy?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X