Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Cops 5: Barney Fife, Now in Real Life!

Yeah, they could have let them leave without cuffs on. They wouldn't have cuffed you or me. Doesn't look like they were causing a scene.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

• Originally posted by walrus View Post
      Yeah, they could have let them leave without cuffs on. They wouldn't have cuffed you or me. Doesn't look like they were causing a scene.

No, we don't get the cops called on us. If we're being asked to leave private property and don't, we will likely be arrested too.

They shouldn't have been asked to leave by Starbucks in the first place.
      Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
      Originally posted by Quizmire
      mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
      MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
      MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
      I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

So wait, how long were they sitting there?
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Going with MNS on this one.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The boycott needs to return as a weapon. When businesses face failing as a result of stupid racism like that of the people in the Philly Starbucks who called the cops in the first place, things change.

Comment

Both are at fault. The cops could have handled it way better especially since there were witnesses including a guy saying they were there to meet him. The employee should be fired and the cops should be forced to publicly apologize.
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                Both are at fault. The cops could have handled it way better especially since there were witnesses including a guy saying they were there to meet him. The employee should be fired and the cops should be forced to publicly apologize.
                Agreed. The police have the option to correctly decide this is ridiculous and leave
                the state of hockey is good

Comment

Calls Grow to Boycott Starbucks After Two Black Men Arrested for Not Making Order. Good to see. When these businesses start to see revenue fall perhaps they will also begin to pressure elected officials to do what is necessary to ensure racial profiling comes to an end.

Something else I want to know about this is how were the two men arrested being "unprofessional"? According to the top cop in Philly, the cops were professional in their dealings with the men they arrested and "got the opposite back." In the video I saw nothing of the sort. The video appears to show both the police and the two men behaving in a responsible, even tempered way. Why say what he said? Another thing I'd like to know is if the officers did anything to ascertain why the guys were there in the first place, from either the men they arrested or from anyone else. Or did they just come up to them and say "Starbucks told you to leave." While these officers hardly behaved in as bad a manner as we have seen repeatedly at other times, how about using a little judgment and discretion? Asking the right two or three questions may have averted all of this. You can't prove a negative but if I showed up there like I normally look in the middle of the day, middle aged white guy, dress shirt and tie, (and if I was with a colleague they'd also look that way most likely) my guess is nothing like this would have happened.
                  Last edited by WeAreNDHockey; 04-15-2018, 10:44 AM.

Comment

Let’s back up for a minute here. If they were sitting there for an hour without ordering anything and it was busy, I kind of get asking them to order or leave. We did that at DQ back in high school.

Regarding the cops, they have no choice but to arrest the men if they were trespassed by Starbucks and they refuse to leave. Starbucks can trespass anyone they want. I think this goes back to the Starbucks employees not handling this well. But again, I’m not sure we have all the details.
                    Code:
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      Let’s back up for a minute here. If they were sitting there for an hour without ordering anything and it was busy while they were not ordering anything. I kind of get asking them to order or leave. We did that at DQ back in high school.

Regarding the cops, they have no choice but to arrest the men if they were trespassed by Starbucks and they refuse to leave. Starbucks can trespass anyone they want. I think this goes back to the Starbucks employees not handling this well. But again, I’m not sure we have all the details.
                      I probably agree with this if the guys were there for a long time. Starbucks has every right to expect tables to be used by paying customers. Were they there that long? I don't know if any story had details like that. I also still maintain that the cops -- while they are certainly required to enforce the law -- could most likely have made all of this go away by asking the right questions. I often sit in similar places like this waiting for people to show up for meetings without ordering. I have one every month at a Panara Bread restaurant. No one tells me to leave or order. I show up 15-30 minutes before anyone else and rarely if ever order anything. From the first time I showed up there no one said as much as one word to me about ordering or leaving. The last time we were there in fact, none of us ordered anything at all. We are all white and I am always dressed professionally. If I was black and showed up dressed casually in sweat pants and a hoodie and sat at a table without ordering anything for 20 minutes, I suspect the reception may occasionally be different

Comment

If they were there for like 15-20 minutes, then Starbucks blew it. If hey were there for an hour or more? It’s missing from the story.

If I’m waiting, I always grab a coffee to show I’m a customer.

You might be right about the last part. But again, I think some details are missing.
                        Code:

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post

From the update in the Yahoo story
                          The Associated Press reports that Philadelphia’s police commissioner is defending his officers’ decision to arrest the two men in Starbucks.

Commissioner Richard Ross, who is black, said police asked the men to leave three times but they refused. They were arrested and released. Ross said his officers “did absolutely nothing wrong.”
                          Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                            From the update in the Yahoo story
                            Of course he's going to defend the officers. Top cops defend you guys when unarmed black men are shot and killed. There is absolutely less than zero chance they won't be defended when the guys arrested can walk out of jail under their own power. The officers probably made no effort to NOT arrest these guys other than to tell them to leave and hope they complied with what may have been an illegal request (you can't refuse to seat people for their race and we all know that is what really happened here). Right thinking employees would have said nothing and not placed a call. Cops who want to quit having people like me question their motives or performance need to learn how to use their people skills and that would have also prevented this ugly situation from becoming a national story. The only people who appear to have behaved correctly are the two who were arrested and some of the other customers who appeared to have stuck up for the men.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
                              Of course he's going to defend the officers. Top cops defend you guys when unarmed black men are shot and killed. There is absolutely less than zero chance they won't be defended when the guys arrested can walk out of jail under their own power. The officers probably made no effort to NOT arrest these guys other than to tell them to leave and hope they complied with what may have been an illegal request (you can't refuse to seat people for their race and we all know that is what really happened here). Right thinking employees would have said nothing and not placed a call. Cops who want to quit having people like me question their motives or performance need to learn how to use their people skills and that would have also prevented this ugly situation from becoming a national story. The only people who appear to have behaved correctly are the two who were arrested and some of the other customers who appeared to have stuck up for the men.
                              As the title says, "before you boycott Starbucks, You May Want to Read This."

It is a thorough analysis of the situation from all sides by attorney Elura Nanos.
                              Growing old is mandatory -- growing up is optional!

Comment

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                                As the title says, "before you boycott Starbucks, You May Want to Read This."

It is a thorough analysis of the situation from all sides by attorney Elura Nanos.

There is something a little off with the claim "the manager complained to police about trespassers, the police arrived, the alleged trespassers were on the premises and refused to leave. That’s enough to constitute probable cause. End of story. Let’s leave the cops out of this one." If that were the case, all one would have to do to remove black patrons from their place of business is to call the cops and say they were trespassing. Well we all know that being black does not make one a trespasser. So the cops are required to do a little Q and A under these circumstances. A Q and A may very well have led them to believe that the men were trespassing in violation of acceptable standards and laws or ordinances. The cops certainly do not need to be "left out" of this one. The linked article sheds no more light on what actually happened than what the video shows us to begin with. What did the manager/employees say when the call was first placed to the police? What were the officers told when they arrived? What did the men they arrested tell them? All of that comes into play when making a decision on whether or not a standard of probable cause has been met to arrest someone.

Comment

Working...
                                X