NESCAC 2017 to 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
    It's Blue vs. White at Kenyon this afternoon (women's and men's), and with confidence that rarely accompanies any prediction of results involving NESCAC squads, I predict the Panthers emerge unbeaten!
    GOOD LUCK to all parents, players and coaches in the coming season!!!
    Ah, looks like the senior prep schools are soon going to start their season and catch up with the rest of the D3 hockey world. Woohoo.

Comment

Re: NESCAC 2017 to 2018

Originally posted by shelfit View Post
      Ah, looks like the senior prep schools are soon going to start their season and catch up with the rest of the D3 hockey world. Woohoo.
      I don't get your point. NESCAC teams, by league rule cannot begin organized practice until two weeks before their first game. The first league games are on November17. Why wouldn't the men's and women's teams have an intra-squad scrimmage on the Saturday before their regular season starts. Help me understand why this makes you call a NESCAC school a "senior prep" school. They are pretty highly ranked academically and their sports teams are very competitive in all sports. Is your point that a shorter playing season somehow makes them lesser academic institutions or makes their teams less competitive? It's okay for different leagues to have different rules as long as they fit within the NCAA rules. I do agree with your Woohoo comment. While there are a lot of NESCAC teams, and NESCAC hockey players, still competing in NCAA tournaments in Fall sports, it will be nice to get hockey started next weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
        I don't get your point. NESCAC teams, by league rule cannot begin organized practice until two weeks before their first game. The first league games are on November17. Why wouldn't the men's and women's teams have an intra-squad scrimmage on the Saturday before their regular season starts. Help me understand why this makes you call a NESCAC school a "senior prep" school. They are pretty highly ranked academically and their sports teams are very competitive in all sports. Is your point that a shorter playing season somehow makes them lesser academic institutions or makes their teams less competitive? It's okay for different leagues to have different rules as long as they fit within the NCAA rules. I do agree with your Woohoo comment. While there are a lot of NESCAC teams, and NESCAC hockey players, still competing in NCAA tournaments in Fall sports, it will be nice to get hockey started next weekend.
        That little pansy has issues....big issues...starting with being not that bright, going to some 3rd rate midwest school and forever feeling inferior....Must be a tough way go through life.

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
          That little pansy has issues....big issues...starting with being not that bright, going to some 3rd rate midwest school and forever feeling inferior....Must be a tough way go through life.
          Lol, wow, you've resorted to name calling like a 5th grader and I have issues?! Too funny. Clearly you feel intimidated by my intellect but that's your baggage to handle, not mine. How in the world do you figure I went to a Midwest school? I didn't, but I hear there are plenty of schools out there that are at the very least equal to the 'CAC schools if not better. I have no proof of that since I went to a school in the east. Have a nice day, little fishie. I'm taking you off my hook and throwing you back into the water....you're not big enough to make a snack out of, let alone a decent meal. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by puxrex View Post
            All I'm saying is the 'CAC schools are the same as prep schools, just at the next rung of the educational ladder. I just wish they'd start their winter seasons at the same time as the rest of the D3 world. That is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. To be serious for a moment instead of trying to pull anyone's leg, it's a very good conference. It's too bad some of the 'CAC schools are so restricted with what they are allowed to do in terms of scheduling out of conference games/opponents. Some schools aren't allowed to travel outside a defined range or spend a night in a hotel for a non-conference weekend. That limits who you can play for those games and therefore limits your ability to prove if you can beat certain teams or not in out of conference play. With the type of money involved in going to those schools I think it's rather unfortunate that some of them are restricted like that. That lends itself to the same few 'CAC schools being ranked in the top-10 each season.
            Last edited by shelfit; 11-11-2017, 11:13 PM.

Comment

All I'm saying is the 'CAC schools are the same as prep schools, just at the next rung of the educational ladder. I just wish they'd start their winter seasons at the same time as the rest of the D3 world. That is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. To be serious for a moment instead of trying to pull anyone's leg, it's a very good conference. It's too bad some of the 'CAC schools are so restricted with what they are allowed to do in terms of scheduling out of conference games/opponents. Some schools aren't allowed to travel outside a defined range or spend a night in a hotel for a non-conference weekend. That limits who you can play for those games and therefore limits your ability to prove if you can beat certain teams or not in out of conference play. With the type of money involved in going to those schools I think it's rather unfortunate that some of them are restricted like that. That lends itself to the same few 'CAC schools being ranked in the top-10 each season.
              Well, since you finally had some serious comments, some return comments.

- Timing - It is really the conference's decision what their league timing is. If the NESCAC is OK with taking the disadvantage of starting late (like the Ivies), then that is their prerogative. It would be hard to argue that it puts them at a disadvantage early in the season when playing out of conference, but they seem to do OK by and large and they are satisfied with it. They do this to allow the Fall regular season to end prior to start of winter season (there is a fair number of multi-sport athletes at most of these schools). Otherwise, Fall team kids will be trying to practice/play two sports simultaneously - used to happen.

- Out of Conference - I don't know of any NESCAC schools with rules that they can't stay overnight for non-conference games. Some of them have traveled out West in the last few years (Williams, Conn, Bowdoin) and pretty much all have played back to back away OOC games which requires an overnight. That being said, every school/team has a budget so they do have to manage that - it is D3 after all. I don't see Plattsburgh traveling very far for games - are you ****ed at them? Even if the restriction was true, it wouldn't be much of an impediment to playing good teams - most NESCAC schools can get anywhere in New England or upstate NY on 1 day trip for a game. The reality is that the real limit on these games is the small number of OOC games most teams can schedule. Everyone wants to play Plattsburgh or Elmira, but they are selective because of the small number of games they can schedule OOC.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

- Timing - It is really the conference's decision what their league timing is. If the NESCAC is OK with taking the disadvantage of starting late (like the Ivies), then that is their prerogative. It would be hard to argue that it puts them at a disadvantage early in the season when playing out of conference, but they seem to do OK by and large and they are satisfied with it. They do this to allow the Fall regular season to end prior to start of winter season (there is a fair number of multi-sport athletes at most of these schools). Otherwise, Fall team kids will be trying to practice/play two sports simultaneously - used to happen.

- Out of Conference - I don't know of any NESCAC schools with rules that they can't stay overnight for non-conference games. Some of them have traveled out West in the last few years (Williams, Conn, Bowdoin) and pretty much all have played back to back away OOC games which requires an overnight. That being said, every school/team has a budget so they do have to manage that - it is D3 after all. I don't see Plattsburgh traveling very far for games - are you ****ed at them? Even if the restriction was true, it wouldn't be much of an impediment to playing good teams - most NESCAC schools can get anywhere in New England or upstate NY on 1 day trip for a game. The reality is that the real limit on these games is the small number of OOC games most teams can schedule. Everyone wants to play Plattsburgh or Elmira, but they are selective because of the small number of games they can schedule OOC.
                Check out the distance from Plattsburgh to Buffalo.....7-9 hours depending on the weather.

"FEAR THE BIRD!"

Comment

Originally posted by Birdwatcher View Post
                  Check out the distance from Plattsburgh to Buffalo.....7-9 hours depending on the weather.
                  Plattsburgh has no control over that one though. It’s a league opponent. I think the poster was referring to non-conference games.
                  The Poster Formerly Known as Purple_and_Gold10©
                  "The Prezidential Three - Elmira, Oswego, Norwich" © Joecct
                  GO EAGLES!!! R.I.P. L.H. #4 In our hearts forever
                  GO LAKERS!!!
                  GO CADETS!!! R.I.P. Charlie Crosby '63
                  "Reisweber trying to circle in front of the net, he does, HE SCORES! that's it! Oswego State has done it!! The Lakers take home the first NCAA title of any kind in school history. It's celebration time in Upstate New York!"
                  Oswego State '09

Comment

Lol, wow, you've resorted to name calling like a 5th grader and I have issues?! Too funny. Clearly you feel intimidated by my intellect but that's your baggage to handle, not mine. How in the world do you figure I went to a Midwest school? I didn't, but I hear there are plenty of schools out there that are at the very least equal to the 'CAC schools if not better. I have no proof of that since I went to a school in the east. Have a nice day, little fishie. I'm taking you off my hook and throwing you back into the water....you're not big enough to make a snack out of, let alone a decent meal. Lol.
                    lol...internet dabadass...

Comment

Originally posted by CrossCheck View Post
                      lol...internet dabadass...
                      My non-'CAC edumacation is showing because I don't know what that means.

Comment

As the father of a daughter that also plays lacrosse, I think that's a great idea. Shall I assume they do the same for all sports (so the lacrosse season would also be 2 weeks shorter compared to non-NESCAC teams?). This is a good compromise for smaller schools that may depend more on multi-sport athletes.

Comment

Originally posted by GTOWN View Post
                          As the father of a daughter that also plays lacrosse, I think that's a great idea. Shall I assume they do the same for all sports (so the lacrosse season would also be 2 weeks shorter compared to non-NESCAC teams?). This is a good compromise for smaller schools that may depend more on multi-sport athletes.
                          Generally speaking yes for all sports. I think Fall sports may start coincident with the rest of the D3 world because there is no preceding season (not sure about that though). I believe Lacrosse season (official) doesn't start until after ice hockey regular season is over. Note also that this approach doesn't protect players on teams that progress into the NCAA tournament. A few years ago, Bowdoin could barely put a team on the ice for the first 2-4 ice hockey games because the field hockey team went deep into the NCAA tourney and there were 4 or 5 field/ice hockey players on the team.

Comment

Generally speaking yes for all sports. I think Fall sports may start coincident with the rest of the D3 world because there is no preceding season (not sure about that though). I believe Lacrosse season (official) doesn't start until after ice hockey regular season is over. Note also that this approach doesn't protect players on teams that progress into the NCAA tournament. A few years ago, Bowdoin could barely put a team on the ice for the first 2-4 ice hockey games because the field hockey team went deep into the NCAA tourney and there were 4 or 5 field/ice hockey players on the team.
                            Fair enough but at that point it's a nice problem to have.

Comment

The following is an excerpt from the NESCAC website:

"NESCAC members believe intercollegiate athletic programs should operate in harmony with the educational mission of each institution. The Conference is committed to establishing common boundaries to keep athletics strong but in proportion to the overall academic mission of the member institutions. In pursuit of this mission, the Presidents of each NESCAC institution control intercollegiate athletic policy. Conference tenets are usually more restrictive than those of the NCAA Division III with regard to season length, number of contests and post-season competition.

NESCAC institutions also believe athletic teams should be representative of the entire student body. Thus, admissions and financial policies are consistent with the NCAA Division III policies that prohibit athletic scholarships and award financial aid solely on the basis of need."

link to the About the NESCAC page: http://nescac.com/about/about

Comment

Originally posted by obserbear View Post
                                The following is an excerpt from the NESCAC website:

"NESCAC members believe intercollegiate athletic programs should operate in harmony with the educational mission of each institution. The Conference is committed to establishing common boundaries to keep athletics strong but in proportion to the overall academic mission of the member institutions. In pursuit of this mission, the Presidents of each NESCAC institution control intercollegiate athletic policy. Conference tenets are usually more restrictive than those of the NCAA Division III with regard to season length, number of contests and post-season competition.

NESCAC institutions also believe athletic teams should be representative of the entire student body. Thus, admissions and financial policies are consistent with the NCAA Division III policies that prohibit athletic scholarships and award financial aid solely on the basis of need."

link to the About the NESCAC page: http://nescac.com/about/about

It's a lovely statement and in theory a great concept....the reality [having lived it] is somewhat less true. School often takes a back-seat to your sport [e.g. don't schedule any classes on Friday...avoid that professor, don't take a class with a lab or a class that meets at night during our practice time....yada yada. And there are still many players who get overly preferential treatment from admissions who have no business getting in. But, that said....it's still 100% better than any other conf. out there.

Comment

Working...
                                X