Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NESCAC 2017 to 2018

Re: NESCAC 2017 to 2018

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    All I'm saying is the 'CAC schools are the same as prep schools, just at the next rung of the educational ladder. I just wish they'd start their winter seasons at the same time as the rest of the D3 world. That is a bit of a pet peeve of mine. To be serious for a moment instead of trying to pull anyone's leg, it's a very good conference. It's too bad some of the 'CAC schools are so restricted with what they are allowed to do in terms of scheduling out of conference games/opponents. Some schools aren't allowed to travel outside a defined range or spend a night in a hotel for a non-conference weekend. That limits who you can play for those games and therefore limits your ability to prove if you can beat certain teams or not in out of conference play. With the type of money involved in going to those schools I think it's rather unfortunate that some of them are restricted like that. That lends itself to the same few 'CAC schools being ranked in the top-10 each season.
    Well, since you finally had some serious comments, some return comments.

- Timing - It is really the conference's decision what their league timing is. If the NESCAC is OK with taking the disadvantage of starting late (like the Ivies), then that is their prerogative. It would be hard to argue that it puts them at a disadvantage early in the season when playing out of conference, but they seem to do OK by and large and they are satisfied with it. They do this to allow the Fall regular season to end prior to start of winter season (there is a fair number of multi-sport athletes at most of these schools). Otherwise, Fall team kids will be trying to practice/play two sports simultaneously - used to happen.

- Out of Conference - I don't know of any NESCAC schools with rules that they can't stay overnight for non-conference games. Some of them have traveled out West in the last few years (Williams, Conn, Bowdoin) and pretty much all have played back to back away OOC games which requires an overnight. That being said, every school/team has a budget so they do have to manage that - it is D3 after all. I don't see Plattsburgh traveling very far for games - are you ****ed at them? Even if the restriction was true, it wouldn't be much of an impediment to playing good teams - most NESCAC schools can get anywhere in New England or upstate NY on 1 day trip for a game. The reality is that the real limit on these games is the small number of OOC games most teams can schedule. Everyone wants to play Plattsburgh or Elmira, but they are selective because of the small number of games they can schedule OOC.

Quote Originally Posted by HockeyEast33 View Post

- Timing - It is really the conference's decision what their league timing is. If the NESCAC is OK with taking the disadvantage of starting late (like the Ivies), then that is their prerogative. It would be hard to argue that it puts them at a disadvantage early in the season when playing out of conference, but they seem to do OK by and large and they are satisfied with it. They do this to allow the Fall regular season to end prior to start of winter season (there is a fair number of multi-sport athletes at most of these schools). Otherwise, Fall team kids will be trying to practice/play two sports simultaneously - used to happen.

- Out of Conference - I don't know of any NESCAC schools with rules that they can't stay overnight for non-conference games. Some of them have traveled out West in the last few years (Williams, Conn, Bowdoin) and pretty much all have played back to back away OOC games which requires an overnight. That being said, every school/team has a budget so they do have to manage that - it is D3 after all. I don't see Plattsburgh traveling very far for games - are you ****ed at them? Even if the restriction was true, it wouldn't be much of an impediment to playing good teams - most NESCAC schools can get anywhere in New England or upstate NY on 1 day trip for a game. The reality is that the real limit on these games is the small number of OOC games most teams can schedule. Everyone wants to play Plattsburgh or Elmira, but they are selective because of the small number of games they can schedule OOC.
    Check out the distance from Plattsburgh to Buffalo.....7-9 hours depending on the weather.

Proud supporter of Osmirwich hockey
    Quote Originally Posted by Birdwatcher View Post
    Check out the distance from Plattsburgh to Buffalo.....7-9 hours depending on the weather.
    Plattsburgh has no control over that one though. Itís a league opponent. I think the poster was referring to non-conference games.

Quote Originally Posted by shelfit View Post
    Lol, wow, you've resorted to name calling like a 5th grader and I have issues?! Too funny. Clearly you feel intimidated by my intellect but that's your baggage to handle, not mine. How in the world do you figure I went to a Midwest school? I didn't, but I hear there are plenty of schools out there that are at the very least equal to the 'CAC schools if not better. I have no proof of that since I went to a school in the east. Have a nice day, little fishie. I'm taking you off my hook and throwing you back into the water....you're not big enough to make a snack out of, let alone a decent meal. Lol.
    lol...internet dabadass...

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
    lol...internet dabadass...
    My non-'CAC edumacation is showing because I don't know what that means.

As the father of a daughter that also plays lacrosse, I think that's a great idea. Shall I assume they do the same for all sports (so the lacrosse season would also be 2 weeks shorter compared to non-NESCAC teams?). This is a good compromise for smaller schools that may depend more on multi-sport athletes.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOWN View Post
    As the father of a daughter that also plays lacrosse, I think that's a great idea. Shall I assume they do the same for all sports (so the lacrosse season would also be 2 weeks shorter compared to non-NESCAC teams?). This is a good compromise for smaller schools that may depend more on multi-sport athletes.
    Generally speaking yes for all sports. I think Fall sports may start coincident with the rest of the D3 world because there is no preceding season (not sure about that though). I believe Lacrosse season (official) doesn't start until after ice hockey regular season is over. Note also that this approach doesn't protect players on teams that progress into the NCAA tournament. A few years ago, Bowdoin could barely put a team on the ice for the first 2-4 ice hockey games because the field hockey team went deep into the NCAA tourney and there were 4 or 5 field/ice hockey players on the team.

Generally speaking yes for all sports. I think Fall sports may start coincident with the rest of the D3 world because there is no preceding season (not sure about that though). I believe Lacrosse season (official) doesn't start until after ice hockey regular season is over. Note also that this approach doesn't protect players on teams that progress into the NCAA tournament. A few years ago, Bowdoin could barely put a team on the ice for the first 2-4 ice hockey games because the field hockey team went deep into the NCAA tourney and there were 4 or 5 field/ice hockey players on the team.
    Fair enough but at that point it's a nice problem to have.

The following is an excerpt from the NESCAC website:

"NESCAC members believe intercollegiate athletic programs should operate in harmony with the educational mission of each institution. The Conference is committed to establishing common boundaries to keep athletics strong but in proportion to the overall academic mission of the member institutions. In pursuit of this mission, the Presidents of each NESCAC institution control intercollegiate athletic policy. Conference tenets are usually more restrictive than those of the NCAA Division III with regard to season length, number of contests and post-season competition.

NESCAC institutions also believe athletic teams should be representative of the entire student body. Thus, admissions and financial policies are consistent with the NCAA Division III policies that prohibit athletic scholarships and award financial aid solely on the basis of need."

link to the About the NESCAC page: http://nescac.com/about/about

Quote Originally Posted by obserbear View Post
    The following is an excerpt from the NESCAC website:

"NESCAC members believe intercollegiate athletic programs should operate in harmony with the educational mission of each institution. The Conference is committed to establishing common boundaries to keep athletics strong but in proportion to the overall academic mission of the member institutions. In pursuit of this mission, the Presidents of each NESCAC institution control intercollegiate athletic policy. Conference tenets are usually more restrictive than those of the NCAA Division III with regard to season length, number of contests and post-season competition.

NESCAC institutions also believe athletic teams should be representative of the entire student body. Thus, admissions and financial policies are consistent with the NCAA Division III policies that prohibit athletic scholarships and award financial aid solely on the basis of need."

link to the About the NESCAC page: http://nescac.com/about/about

It's a lovely statement and in theory a great concept....the reality [having lived it] is somewhat less true. School often takes a back-seat to your sport [e.g. don't schedule any classes on Friday...avoid that professor, don't take a class with a lab or a class that meets at night during our practice time....yada yada. And there are still many players who get overly preferential treatment from admissions who have no business getting in. But, that said....it's still 100% better than any other conf. out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossCheck View Post
    It's a lovely statement and in theory a great concept....the reality [having lived it] is somewhat less true. School often takes a back-seat to your sport [e.g. don't schedule any classes on Friday...avoid that professor, don't take a class with a lab or a class that meets at night during our practice time....yada yada. And there are still many players who get overly preferential treatment from admissions who have no business getting in. But, that said....it's still 100% better than any other conf. out there.
    I know of no NESCAC women's player (and I know at least 100) who was told not to take classes on Friday or at night by a coach or school as a result of playing women's hockey - that simply isn't the priority at these schools. That doesn't mean they didn't miss some Friday or evening classes for away games, but most of the NESCACs have 1 rink and (as a result) variable mens and womens practice schedules that specifically avoid creating these conflicts/issues. Now most girls try to tailor their schedule to work around their activities, but that is true of EVERY student. And the girls I know ranged from pre-med to business to art history to sciences/math majors - all across the map. I even know a few NESCAC women players who took a semester abroad and returned the next season.

To your point, this is in marked contrast to almost all D1 schools (my daughter was specifically told at a couple of schools she visited that she could not major in her desired field because the courses conflicted with the womens hockey schedule) and some of the non-NESCAC D3 schools where hockey is the higher priority.

Middlebury opened their '17-'18 season with a solid 2-0 win over NESCAC foe Trinity at Kenyon this evening. Panther sophomore goalie Han made 27 saves for the second shutout of her career.
    The contest opened at a brisk pace on the big Kenyon ice, with over 3 minutes played before either squad had a shot on goal. Bantam goalie Belinskas was tested at 9:50 when Young broke into the Trinity zone, 2x1, and dropped the puck to Leidt on her right; Leidt launched a drive from the right dot that Belinskas kicked out to her stickside corner.
    The Panthers scored their first goal with Wulf grinding in the left corner, getting the puck up the half boards to Winslow. Winslow's wrist shot from low in the left circle was parried by Belinskas, but Jackson found the rebound and her put back was in from the right side of the crease. Two minutes later Middlebury cashed in a powerplay on a very similar play. Wulf worked from the left corner, moved the puck out to Winslow, a lane opened and Winslow advanced and her wrist shot handcuffed Bantam goalie Belinskas, Wulf found the puck for a put back and Young whacked the puck through the scrum and in.
    The rest of the action saw 9 penalties whistled over the course of 2 periods, just not quite the same flow to a game when someone is shorthanded almost half the time. Please note the Panthers were called for 7 infractions to 4 for the Bantams (there have been allegations of Kenyon being a homer friendly arena over the years).
    Belinskas robbed a point blank Winslow drive from the slot off a turnover forced, and fed out from deep in the left corner by a forechecking Jackson at the 6: mark. The Panther D then made a nice effort killing 1:39 of 5x3 action, keeping the puck outside and Han efficiently controlling pucks around the net.
    The 3rd afforded Trinity 3 powerplays and a score would have given the Bantams some momentum, but they were never able to solve Han as she made the 2 first period goals stand up for the 2-0 victory.

Middlebury defeated Trinity 4-1 this afternoon at Kenyon, in a game notable for several individual accomplishments. Panther senior Young scored her 100th career point (46-54-100 in 88 games) assisting on first year Leidt's game winning career first goal (Leidt also chipped in an empty netter and an assist) and junior Jackson had 2 goals. Han was again in net for the Panthers.
    A late arriving Saturday crowd saw Trinity open play with much energy, holding an early 7-3 lead in shots on goal, before play shifted the Panther's way as the period progressed (Midd outshot the Bantams 18-10 by period end). The Bantams took the lead on a quick transition from the neutral zone; Riskevich broke in wide down left wing, got the puck to the net, goalie Han fought off her shot, but the puck eluded her control in the ensuing scrum and Peracchio slipped it home, beneath Han, for the score. Less than a minute later the Panthers scored with :11 seconds remaining in the period. Midd ground the puck out of deep in the right wing corner, up the half boards to Zumwinkle at the blue line. Zumwinkle looped a shot, deflected on net by Leidt from low in the right circle; Belinskas made the save, but Jackson pounced on the loose puck and scored from the stickside corner of the crease, making it 1-1 after 1.
    Middlebury goalie Han came up big on a Bantam 2x1 at 10:30; White was in 2x1 with Finn on her left, White shot from the right circle, low to goalie Han's right pad, the rebound and net were just out of Finn's reach.
    Middlebury scored early in the 3rd off their forecheck, Barney digging in the right corner, with Young working below the goal line, moving the puck along the end boards, before rifling a pass to Leidt at the low edge of the right circle, no catch, just a one timer blasted back across the moving Belinskas, low inside the stickside post. The Bantams were getting some good chances to tie as the 3rd moved along. Han flashed leather on MacMaster's wrist shot from the right dot at 2:20, kicked out a drive by Finn at 8:20 (the rebound lay uncollected in the slot) and fighting off a feed into the scrum at the crease after a Trinity take away behind the goal at 9:40. Trinity was showing signs of renewed energy in the offensive zone as the 3rd wore on. Again, Middlebury's aggressive forecheck produced. Keeping the puck in zone at the blueline, Winslow broke in wide on the right, pressing into the dot, 2x1, before slipping the puck to her left, where Jackson made a perfect catch, redirect of the puck in up over Belinskas' stickside. Coach Maurice pulled his goalie with 2:34 to go. The Bantams had some offensive zone time with the extra attacker, but never got the puck into the scrum and kill zone. Leidt iced things with her second goal of the game; Winslow controlled the puck on the half boards in front of the Bantam bench, fed Leidt and she nailed one from right of center at the red line (Winslow's second assist of the afternoon leaves her at 42-57-99 in 88 games).
    So the NESCAC opens with three series sweeps (Middlebury, Conn College and Hamilton), while Bowdoin took 3 points in their home and home traditional battle with Colby (and Wesleyan lost to Manhattanville and beat Post).
    Hope you will all be making the post Turkey Day trip to Plattsburgh for the UNO Classic and Middlebury-Elmira and Adrian-Plattsburgh a week from today!!!

NESCAC 3-1 last evening in non-conference play.
    Will they be able to go 8-4 over the 12 non-conference games played through Tuesday?
    Looking forward to the UNO Classic this weekend.

lol...guess the 'prep schools' can play hockey. Oh and don't look now but 3 of top 10 are from the 'cac.

Thread Information