University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Didn't go to the game Friday but watched most of it on mgoblue. What I noticed were missed opportunities in the first period, bad luck and somewhat questionable goaltending in the first half of the second period. Something kinda new to Michigan hockey, a resilient never-say-die attitude from then on out. To go down 3-0 only to tie it up and then give up a 4th really quickly has got to be tough. Then to tie it up again to force OT. Then to pretty much control OT and take 3 points says a lot. If this type of play continues we should send ferris a thank you note for giving our guys a reality check. Thoughts?

It's early but I am fully expecting a new streak to begin this year and even a tourney win.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

i was there, it ended up being a pretty even game, in terms of puck possession, chances, and all of that. It was really good to see the team hang in there after giving up 3 quick goals in the 2nd, and that set the stage for the OT win. I thought Mich got the benefit of some calls or non-calls, especially late in the game and in OT. Will see if that balances out tonight. A lot of Minn players were screaming at the refs after Mich won it on the PP (and there could have been an interference call on Mich right before they scored). Regardless, it was an excellent comeback and a nice win against a really good team
      Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Go Blue!

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
          i was there, it ended up being a pretty even game, in terms of puck possession, chances, and all of that. It was really good to see the team hang in there after giving up 3 quick goals in the 2nd, and that set the stage for the OT win. I thought Mich got the benefit of some calls or non-calls, especially late in the game and in OT. Will see if that balances out tonight. A lot of Minn players were screaming at the refs after Mich won it on the PP (and there could have been an interference call on Mich right before they scored). Regardless, it was an excellent comeback and a nice win against a really good team
          I saw several missed calls ON BOTH SIDES from the MGoBlue video feed. I'll be watching on BTN tonight. Go Blue!
          I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Pretty gutsy of the team to come back from 4 down, and then somehow get 3 to tie it at the end of the game. Too bad we lost that extra point in the shoot out- and didn't convert on that PP to end the game or start the OT.

So many mixed things- Minnesota beat us to the puck all night long, and worse- were taking it from behind all night long. We played pretty loose with the puck too many times, too- giving them amazing chances at goals.

But then we somehow came back to tie it. Which was pretty amazing. The energy is so up and down....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Pretty gutsy of the team to come back from 4 down, and then somehow get 3 to tie it at the end of the game. Too bad we lost that extra point in the shoot out- and didn't convert on that PP to end the game or start the OT.

So many mixed things- Minnesota beat us to the puck all night long, and worse- were taking it from behind all night long. We played pretty loose with the puck too many times, too- giving them amazing chances at goals.

But then we somehow came back to tie it. Which was pretty amazing. The energy is so up and down....
              Yea I had pretty much given up after it had reached 6-4 so I switched to the Red Wing game. Wow that OT was perhaps one of the more exciting OT periods ever. Then it went to a shootout. It lasted 9 rounds with Columbus' Jack Johnson (yea JMFJ) winning it. I then went out to the bar and saw on the TV through the window that it was 6-6 with a couple minutes left. It sucked that Raabe missed that wide-open net with his backhand but what can you do?

This team appears to be able to turn it on when they want for the most part. They need to turn it on at the start of the game and leave it on for 60 minutes.

I'm still waiting to be impressed by Hughes. Everyone talks about him as the next stud and yes he's good but I'm just not seeing it yet.

I'm looking forward to January 12, 13.

Comment

Can someone verify that Michael Pastujov actually played for Michigan on Saturday? I realize that he is in the lineup chart and the box score. The reason that I am asking is that he suddenly showed up on the Lincoln Stars' (USHL) roster with the number 21 used by RPI recruit Tristan Ashbrook. He then appeared in Lincoln's box score. I listened to part of Lincoln's game and the PBP announcer mentioned Ashbrook's name on numerous occasions as did the PA announcer when he received two penalties. However something is weird and as of the moment the box score still lists Pastujov.
                Last edited by Ralph Baer; 11-12-2017, 04:56 AM.
                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Ralph Baer View Post
                  Can someone verify that Michael Pastujov actually played for Michigan on Saturday? I realize that he is in the lineup chart and the box score. The reason that I am asking is that he suddenly showed up on the Lincoln Stars' (USHL) roster with the number 21 used by RPI recruit Tristan Ashbrook. He then appeared in Lincoln's box score. I listened to part of Lincoln's game and the PBP announcer mentioned Ashbrook's name on numerous occasions as did the PA announcer when he received two penalties. However something is weird and as of the moment the box score still lists Pastujov.
                  That is weird. Michael Pastujov hasn't had much playing time yet, but I distinctly remember seeing him on the ice this weekend, and thinking "that's the younger Pastujov"

Edit: a quick glance through line-up cards, looks like yesterday was Michael Pastujov's first game as a Wolverine
                  Last edited by wolverineTrumpet; 11-12-2017, 06:43 AM.
                  Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                  wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                  7 B1G
                  7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                  6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                  5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                  5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                  2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                  2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    Yea I had pretty much given up after it had reached 6-4 so I switched to the Red Wing game. Wow that OT was perhaps one of the more exciting OT periods ever. Then it went to a shootout. It lasted 9 rounds with Columbus' Jack Johnson (yea JMFJ) winning it. I then went out to the bar and saw on the TV through the window that it was 6-6 with a couple minutes left. It sucked that Raabe missed that wide-open net with his backhand but what can you do?

This team appears to be able to turn it on when they want for the most part. They need to turn it on at the start of the game and leave it on for 60 minutes.

I'm still waiting to be impressed by Hughes. Everyone talks about him as the next stud and yes he's good but I'm just not seeing it yet.

I'm looking forward to January 12, 13.
                    The people behind us left at 6-3. They missed a heck of an ending.

Hughes is an enigma right now. You can see he's incredibly confident in his puck handling. Which is actually the problem with his game right now- he still have not realized how much more skilled the players are here in college- too many times he turns the puck over. And it's all over the ice- in the offensive zone he creates odd man rushes for the other team, and in our defensive zone he creates some incredible scoring chances.

On the other hand, it does seem that the team have a lot of trust in him, as it's not as if he does not get the puck a lot. The only ones who could be frustrated are his defensive partner (generally Luke Martin)- as he should be getting some passes when Quinn is in trouble. And it's not as if Luke doesn't have his struggles- that 6th goal was largely because he let his winger get WAY behind him, creating a clean break away.

The good thing is that the core problems with the team are not related to skill- just paying attention. And everyone seems to be struggling with the new system. Hopefully, that will continue to improve, and we can see some really great play at the end of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      That is weird. Michael Pastujov hasn't had much playing time yet, but I distinctly remember seeing him on the ice this weekend, and thinking "that's the younger Pastujov"

Edit: a quick glance through line-up cards, looks like yesterday was Michael Pastujov's first game as a Wolverine
                      Thanks. It probably is a mistake by the USHL although perhaps Michael Pastujov is leaving Michigan after the first semester to go to Lincoln. I certainly don't know.
                      sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Thanks. It probably is a mistake by the USHL although perhaps Michael Pastujov is leaving Michigan after the first semester to go to Lincoln. I certainly don't know.
                        Michael Pastujov played his first game last night on the fourth line with his brother Nick. Don't know much on the history if he was injured, slow to get acclimated to the college game. But those brothers were recruited early and did not develop to date as thought.

Comment

As others have said, Pastujov played for Michigan last night. Ashbrook was playing for Lincoln.
                          Originally posted by dicaslover
                          Yep, you got it. I heart Maize.

Originally posted by Kristin
                          Maybe I'm missing something but you just asked me which MSU I go to and then you knew the theme of my homecoming, how do you know one and not the other?

Western College Hockey Blog

Comment

As a Gopher fan I found this series entertaining, glad to see Michigan pushing the pace and playing a fun brand of hockey. The goaltending is still a bit suspect to say the least so it’ll be interesting to see if that gets fixed in future years.

Comment

How do the guys fare next weekend? We've witnessed them winning on the road already this year. Will the big sheet affect them? Personally I don't think so, a lot of the guys have played internationally. Goalie? How much do you wanna bet we go back to the rotation? Thoughts?

Comment

Not sure who will start in net. Mel saw something in LaFontaine, but he was pulled mid-game Saturday.

Also, Wisconsin may be better than most think- they seem to be playing really well. For now, as we see the team adjust to the new scheme, I'm hoping for a spit.

Comment

Working...
                                X