X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    Very nice sweep.
    I enjoyed watching what parts of it I was able to see after OSU's games were done.
    Minnesota's fans have from my perspective always felt their team is god's gift to college hockey and to see them get taken down more than a few notches by being swept at home multiple times this season knowing they're finally being humbled is a good thing although they won't see it that way.
    So that being said, good job Michigan, way to go!

Comment

Very nice sweep.
      Yea, I didn't see that coming. Is it a case of Michigan finally putting it together of Minnesota royally sucking? I'm actually thinking that it is a bit of both. Minnesota has talent, they have more players who are drafted than we do. They're just not putting it together.

But I had to go to the Minnesota board and ask if they are on suicide watch? These opportunities don't come every day.
      Originally posted by alfablue
      Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
      Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

• Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
        it is effective, but ND plays a BORING brand of hockey. a 1-1-3 set up, always 3 guys back, a lot of dumping and playing D. Again, not saying they are not a good team, but if there was not a couple of early PP's for ND, they could well have lost 1-0. It reminded me of the Ron Mason days when State was a power, especially with Miller in net. They would get a goal or two, and sit back and try to win 1-0 or 2-1. That was what it felt like tonight.

The Students chanted "boring" more than once during the game.
        This is spot on haha, they’re an interesting team, they get out shot pretty often but their goaltending is unreal. It’d be interesting to know how they fare in terms of scoring chances for/against per game at even strength. Their PP is good to no doubt.

Comment

So after my complaints at the GLI that we weren't at full speed during the 1st period, it was great to see the jump and early scoring in both games this weekend. Then to maintain those leads was even better. I kept thinking back to the series at Yost and worried we'd blow the leads the way Minnesota had.

I'm still not sure what to think of this team. The last two weeks have looked promising. Yes, we were swept by Notre Dame, but they were competitive one goal games.

I had given up hope of the NCAA tourney this year, but now I see the weekend sweep has bolted us up to tied for 15 in the pairwise. Tied with....Minnesota who dropped significantly this week. 16th doesn't get you in though, and a .500 record doesn't deserve it. It is still January, and there is plenty of hockey left to play.

Two tests coming up to see if we can break into the top half of the conference. Penn State at home this weekend and then on the road to s* hole town down south the following weekend.
          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
          7 B1G
          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            So after my complaints at the GLI that we weren't at full speed during the 1st period, it was great to see the jump and early scoring in both games this weekend. Then to maintain those leads was even better. I kept thinking back to the series at Yost and worried we'd blow the leads the way Minnesota had.

I'm still not sure what to think of this team. The last two weeks have looked promising. Yes, we were swept by Notre Dame, but they were competitive one goal games.

I had given up hope of the NCAA tourney this year, but now I see the weekend sweep has bolted us up to tied for 15 in the pairwise. Tied with....Minnesota who dropped significantly this week. 16th doesn't get you in though, and a .500 record doesn't deserve it. It is still January, and there is plenty of hockey left to play.

Two tests coming up to see if we can break into the top half of the conference. Penn State at home this weekend and then on the road to s* hole town down south the following weekend.
            This is the Pairwise problem, that a .500 team could make the tourney. With games remaining against other top 20 PWR teams, Penn State (2 at home), Wisconsin (2 at home), ND (home and home), and OSU (2 away), Michigan will get a lot of opportunities to continue to strengthen their PWR ranking.

They also have 2 games against MSU (away and neutral) and 2 against Arizona State (home). They would probably need to win all 4 of those to not take a hit from a 30 + PWR team. And MSU already smoked Michigan at Munn earlier this year.
            Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
              MSU already smoked Michigan at Munn earlier this year.
              Yep, sparty won one of the three games this year. One of the three...

That being said even though sparty sucks they always step their game up when playing Big Bro. I'm sure that both teams will be motivated.
              I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
                it is effective, but ND plays a BORING brand of hockey. a 1-1-3 set up, always 3 guys back, a lot of dumping and playing D. Again, not saying they are not a good team, but if there was not a couple of early PP's for ND, they could well have lost 1-0. It reminded me of the Ron Mason days when State was a power, especially with Miller in net. They would get a goal or two, and sit back and try to win 1-0 or 2-1. That was what it felt like tonight.
                If you can remember Ron Mason's days in EL then you should also be able to recall Jeff Jackson @ Lake St. What you describe is exactly what he coached at LSSU and later with the NTDP. When he took over in South Bend I said "Keep your eyes on this team."
                Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                Row 1
                Seats 6 & 7
                Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Looking at the remaining games I realistically see them going 7-5 from here out ending up 17-15-2.
                  Then there is the B1G tourney. That will probably decide their fate vis-a-vis the NCAA Tourney.
                  17-15-2 regular season will have them on the bubble.
                  Section 3 (formerly 6, before that "F")
                  Row 1
                  Seats 6 & 7
                  Same seats since '93 - at the blue line on the glass

9 NCAA Titles: '48, '51, '52, '53, '55, ''56, '64, '96, '98

Comment

Originally posted by JoeZ View Post
                    If you can remember Ron Mason's days in EL then you should also be able to recall Jeff Jackson @ Lake St. What you describe is exactly what he coached at LSSU and later with the NTDP. When he took over in South Bend I said "Keep your eyes on this team."
                    I do remember the LSSU days as well, they did not resonate as much with me as Mason's Ryan Miller teams, and how they would sit back and try to win 1-0 or 2-1.

Comment

Looking forward to hockey tonight. Reminder that tonight's game is 8 pm.

Back when I was in school we played at 7:30 Friday and Saturday as Red intended it. /end grouchy alum rant

How do we think we'll do this weekend with Penn State in town? I'm thinking split.

After the sweep of the Gophers, did Lavigne claim the starting spot?
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G
                      7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                      6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                      5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                      5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                      2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                      2 Alaskan

Comment

7:30? Back in my day, games started at 7pm. As they should be.

I also think Lavigne has the net.

Wish we can be there, it’s pretty hot here.

Comment

If Michigan continues their solid D play, and get solid goaltending, i could see a sweep for Mich. But, these PSU games are usually high scoring ones (PSU is the #1 scoring team in the country i believe), so i expect to see some goals this weekend, and a 5-3 win and a 5-3 loss or something like that.

Although, a sweep would most likely move them up to about 13 or 14 in the pairwise.

Comment

7:30? Back in my day, games started at 7pm. As they should be.

I also think Lavigne has the net.

Wish we can be there, it’s pretty hot here.
                            That was before the invention of the fluorescent light bulb right?

Comment

Back when I was in school we played at 7:30 Friday and Saturday as Red intended it. /end grouchy alum rant
                              Game is at 8 tonight because of it is on the BTN. Blame them, TV ruins everything.

Comment

Everyone's dream job! Good luck!

https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q&l=Ypsi...da457351ae86d0

Zamboni Operator

City of Ann Arbor14 reviews - Ann Arbor, MI
                                Apply NowSave this job
                                IMPORTANT POSITION INFORMATION

There is a possibility that this position may be renewed on an annual basis depending on the organization needs, funding and employee performance, in accordance with the City temporary worker's policy.

ZAMBONI OPERATOR
                                Starting Hourly Rate: $11.72

Nature of Work: Operator of ice resurfacer and all other assigned motorized equipment. In the absence of the facility supervisor and assistant facility supervisor, will be responsible for the total operation of the facility. Will also perform duties related to the maintenance and upkeep of the facility as assigned by the facility management including snow removal. During Public Skating may be assigned as a rink attendant, skate sharpener, among other duties. Reports to the facility supervisor or assistant facility supervisor at Veteran's Memorial Ice Area. May exert up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.

Required Qualifications: Minimum of 18 years of age. Mechanical aptitude and past experience in using large equipment (such as large trucks, tractors, etc.) CPR/AED and First Aid certification required by start of employment. Please note your certification must be from an organization that has been approved by the Bureau of Community and Health Systems, Child Care Licensing Division. Please see following link for list of approved organizations. http://www.michigan.gov/lara/0,4601,...2382--,00.html Must have a valid Driver's License.

Desirable Qualifications: Past management experience. Previous Zamboni driving experience.

Work Schedule: Because of the nature of ice rink operation, holiday, weekend and late evening hours may be part of the work scheduling for this position.

EEO: The City of Ann Arbor is proud of our diverse workforce and our commitment to equal opportunity. We do not discriminate on the basis of a person's actual or perceived race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, condition of pregnancy, marital status, physical or mental limitation, height, weight, source of income, family responsibility, educational association, sexual orientation, gender identity or HIV status in any aspect of our hiring or employment process. We have earned a perfect score on the Human Rights Campaign Foundation's Municipal Equality Index (MEI), which assesses lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer equality in more than 500 cities across the nation.

Comment

Working...
                                X