University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

it is effective, but ND plays a BORING brand of hockey. a 1-1-3 set up, always 3 guys back, a lot of dumping and playing D. Again, not saying they are not a good team, but if there was not a couple of early PP's for ND, they could well have lost 1-0. It reminded me of the Ron Mason days when State was a power, especially with Miller in net. They would get a goal or two, and sit back and try to win 1-0 or 2-1. That was what it felt like tonight.

The Students chanted "boring" more than once during the game.
    Infrequent poster, frequent reader.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
      Tough loss, but because they actually played well instead of playing badly for a bad loss.
      Also, would have been nice to have 3 of their top players who were in the World Juniors. Not sure if ND had any players there, but it seems as if the Big10 could work around that tourney somehow, so that teams could field full squads.

Comment

Originally posted by kjaskolski View Post
        it is effective, but ND plays a BORING brand of hockey. a 1-1-3 set up, always 3 guys back, a lot of dumping and playing D. Again, not saying they are not a good team, but if there was not a couple of early PP's for ND, they could well have lost 1-0. It reminded me of the Ron Mason days when State was a power, especially with Miller in net. They would get a goal or two, and sit back and try to win 1-0 or 2-1. That was what it felt like tonight.

Boring, sure. But there were times were we spent the time enough to tire ND out, and break that D down to get some really good shots on net. That makes me much more optimistic. The only power play we got, the top line was out there for just over 3/4 of the 2:00, and in that time, the break down of the D was pretty obvious. Later in the game, we also were able to be patient with the puck enough to break them down- including the 6-5 at the end. ALMOST got that down enough to get a great shot on net. It wasn't that we just teed up the puck and shot for those instances, which is what I would have expected. And what the crowd expected. Had they done that, I think we would have lost 3-1 with an ENG.

Also, I think ND had some really high quality chances 5-5- not many, sure. But Hayden did a great job keeping the game tight. He bailed out the few times we had bad breakdowns 5-5.

Perhaps with the other 3 players we tie or win that game. Just implying that is good news- that tells us that we can play straight up with anyone. And there's potential to put it all together before the B1G tournament.

Comment

UM students: smart about many things, not about hockey.

I'd rather have a boring #1 team than a losing team like UM.
          CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
            Also, the game at Notre Dame is on Sunday. My husband hasn't been to South Bend, so we were looking for tickets...$47 for SRO. I think we'll just stay here. I wish UM would sell away hockey tickets like they used to, though I understand there's only around 10 people that regularly go to away hockey games.
            Yeah, well, selling out the CCHA for the Big 14 will do that to you. Hope you like it.
            CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              I know that we're on the Holiday break so there isn't much traffic right now but what does everyone think about the team this year?

IMHO they are young, very young. The upper-classmen seem to be doing the best job at leadership that they can but they are lacking a proven leader like Nystrom. Porter was a great leader as well but he led in a different way, by example. Plus he had a lot of talent on the team. Kolarik was also the vocal leader on that team. This will sound strange given the regular season of the 2010 team but I liked Summers as captain as well. Hard to believe that I look back on that year fondly. The season absolutely sucked but that playoff run was the most fun that I've ever had watching Michigan Hockey. I like Marody but he just seems to play. Granted he had the hat trick against sparty on Thursday night but there was absolutely zero carryover to Friday's game. Unfortunately I think that we're still a year or two away. Here's to hoping that I'm wrong and they come back from the break on fire but I'm not expecting it.
              A perennially underachieving team.
              CCHA 4 LIFE

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Dream No. 2 View Post
                UM students: smart about many things, not about hockey.

I'd rather have a boring #1 team than a losing team like UM.
                Not sure who you are or why you are posting in the UM thread, but if you did not cherry pick my post, you would have seen i gave ND credit, i said it was effective, and i compared them to MSU circa Ron Mason and Ryan Miller. who were extremely effective.

But, IMO, regardless if it is highly effective or not, i feel like the ND team is a boring team to watch most nights.

Again, taking nothing away from them, they just won their 14 or 15th straight game again today, they are top notch, but they are boring to watch. At least in this man's opinion.

Comment

Not sure who you are or why you are posting in the UM thread, but if you did not cherry pick my post, you would have seen i gave ND credit, i said it was effective, and i compared them to MSU circa Ron Mason and Ryan Miller. who were extremely effective.

But, IMO, regardless if it is highly effective or not, i feel like the ND team is a boring team to watch most nights.

Again, taking nothing away from them, they just won their 14 or 15th straight game again today, they are top notch, but they are boring to watch. At least in this man's opinion.
                  Ignore the fool. As in use the ignore feature. That way you don't have to read the blather the moron posts.

That was a tougher game to lose, since the first goal was a pretty bad defensive mistake to lead to basically a 2-0 break.

Comment

That's what I thought that they were chanting but the guy in front of me said, "No, they're chanting the goalies last name, Morris." I knew that it was "Boring".
                    Originally posted by alfablue
                    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
                    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
                    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Also, would have been nice to have 3 of their top players who were in the World Juniors. Not sure if ND had any players there, but it seems as if the Big10 could work around that tourney somehow, so that teams could field full squads.
                      They had 1.
                      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                        Ignore the fool. As in use the ignore feature. That way you don't have to read the blather the moron posts.

That was a tougher game to lose, since the first goal was a pretty bad defensive mistake to lead to basically a 2-0 break.
                        Yep, Dirty is a long-time butthead of this forum. Isn't he a minny guy? Or is it NoDik? Either way yes ignore him. And don't quote any of his posts, I have to read his drivel that way.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                          Yep, Dirty is a long-time butthead of this forum. Isn't he a minny guy? Or is it NoDik? Either way yes ignore him. And don't quote any of his posts, I have to read his drivel that way.
                          I thought dirty dream whatever was CCHA fan of some not so great team like Northern. Sad about B1G conference leaving them in a crappy new WCHA with no big name schools to draw crowds.

Not to be confused with Dirty who is a NoDak fan.
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                            I thought dirty dream whatever was CCHA fan of some not so great team like Northern. Sad about B1G conference leaving them in a crappy new WCHA with no big name schools to draw crowds.

Not to be confused with Dirty who is a NoDak fan.
                            Dirty whatever is just wrong. Maybe dream is just trying to be like Dirty but offends everyone in an attempt to get people not to like the real dirty? Either way they are both jackholes...

Comment

That was a pleasant surprise. We didn't play that well (or that bad for that matter) and we still won. We were responsible in our own D-end and actually capitalized on our chances however they were few and far between. Hey, we won in Mariucci, that never happens.

Let's rub it in with a sweep on Saturday night.

Who would have thought that we'd be in fourth place at this point in the season, and yes 4th is pathetic.

Comment

Very nice sweep.

Comment

Working...
                                X