University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Last time we had a new coach, the internet wasn't even thought of, now we have open discussions about everything on line. And we all get our letters in some type of editorial posting.....

Anyway, now that the schedule has been officially released- http://www.mgoblue.com/schedule.aspx?path=mhockey , it's time to start a new thread.

We've had some recent additions to this year's team, which closed out the thread from last year, and, of course, Red has retired and Mel Pearson is now our head coach.

Given that we haven't even stepped on the ice, just like everyone else- the possibilities are endless.

I know many think we have a LONG way to go before we will be a good team, we saw some spurts of what they can do- so I'm leaning toward a handful of small steps will bring us back to our winning expectations. And if we can get one or two big steps, then we can get a B1G championship, and perhaps go deep into the tournament. With our history with Mel, I doubt any here will think he can't do it- but it is a matter of time.

To the schedule- the non-conference schedule is interesting- away games against St. Lawerence and Clarkson, and then home against Vermont (nice to see them again). After a couple of really early B1G games, a pair with Ferris, and then way after the B1G season, we host ASU for a couple of games. Couple of ECAC teams, and then we continue to have two Hockey East schools. Then a former CCHA and now WCHA foe; ending the season with a team that needs to find a home (and I still think it will be the B1G like Notre Dame).

Lots of hope, and high expectations.

Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

OK, 879 was the best that I could get last years thread to. Oh well I tried, with the crappy team Michigan had last year I guess that it wasn't that bad. I tried some questionable tactics to get it to reach a thousand but that wasn't enough. I started my push too late as well. My bad.

Thanks for starting the new season thread alfa. From the things that I've been reading (which of course mean nothing) next season sounds promising. Not National Championship promising but promising in terms of building something. There are some real good pieces coming in and combine that with what is returning I can see a possible tournament appearance. Yes that means we'll need good luck of course but we need to capitalize on that good luck. Like everyone I'm hoping the new-old blood at the helm in the coaching regime revitalizes the program. After seeing what he did for Tech in his years up there I have no doubt that it can translate to Michigan.

I can't see ASU joining B1G Hockey. Notre Dame was perhaps the only outsider that I could see joining the conference. Mainly because they have been rumored/should have joined the conference for football years ago. Their geographic location, the academics, the history make them a perfect fit for the B1G. ASU doesn't fit, at all. They are 1,500 miles away, have questionable academics (They are not an AAU member. I know that Nebraska lost their status as an AAU member but they were when they joined.), and they have very little history. I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that it doesn't make sense.

I've seen that the rumblings of Illinois going D-1 in hockey have been squashed, anyone know why? I know it's probably a money thing but any specifics?
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

If you can (not sure if it's possible) edit your original post and put a "" in the title. It makes it easier to locate the thread quickly. Please and thank you.
      I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Seriously alfa?

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
          Seriously alfa?
          Seriously what? I have no idea how to edit the original title.

And I was out for a few days.

Geez.

Go start your own thread, if it matters that much.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
            Seriously what? I have no idea how to edit the original title.

And I was out for a few days.

Geez.

Go start your own thread, if it matters that much.
            Sorry, I erroneously thought that you gave me negative rep. with a smartbutt comment. That's what my comment was pertaining to. And as far as me starting the team season tread goes I'm done on that. I started the 2010 season and that was an albatross. Granted we had the impressive tournament run which was fun but the regular season was painful. I'm not sure if it is even possible to edit the thread title. Oh well...

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
              Sorry, I erroneously thought that you gave me negative rep. with a smartbutt comment. That's what my comment was pertaining to. And as far as me starting the team season tread goes I'm done on that. I started the 2010 season and that was an albatross. Granted we had the impressive tournament run which was fun but the regular season was painful. I'm not sure if it is even possible to edit the thread title. Oh well...
              You have plenty of fans who give you negative reps- don't need me for that.

Comment

As a hockey related reminder- get your season tickets in. They are due next week.

Comment

You have plenty of fans who give you negative reps- don't need me for that.
                  True, but I don't think that they can here at this time. If they did that just further proves how utterly pathetic they are.

Comment

Ordered my season tickets. I'm hopeful for this year. I think Mel gets us headed in the right direction fairly quickly.

Now I just need to figure out how to get tickets for the games at Clarkson and St Lawrence. Not happy that Clarkson go on sale like a week before the game. I realize traveling to watch college hockey makes me a minority, but it's disconcerting to make travel arrangements and plans for an event when you don't yet have a ticket to the event.
                    Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                    wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                    7 B1G
                    7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                    6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                    5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                    5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                    2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                    2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                      Ordered my season tickets. I'm hopeful for this year. I think Mel gets us headed in the right direction fairly quickly.

Now I just need to figure out how to get tickets for the games at Clarkson and St Lawrence. Not happy that Clarkson go on sale like a week before the game. I realize traveling to watch college hockey makes me a minority, but it's disconcerting to make travel arrangements and plans for an event when you don't yet have a ticket to the event.
                      If worse comes to worst I'm positive that you can scalp/stubhub. I feel pretty good about Mel too, much moreso than any other possible coach. As everyone knows, Mel knows Michigan, Mel can coach (look at what he did for Tech), and it's Michigan (we have talent). However I caution you the last time we replaced a coach and had that "We're Michigan" thought we had 7 years of misery under R-Clod/Hoke. It still makes me shudder....

Comment

Mel making big changes.

No one has ever worn a jersey number higher than #39 here. Ever. In the 95 year history of Michigan Hockey. Until now.

#43 Quinn Hughes
                        #45 Jack LaFontaine
                        #47 Christian Meike
                        #61 James Sanchez
                        #74 Nicholas Boka
                        #88 Steven Merl
                        #90 Dexter Dancs
                        #91 Michael Pastujov

That's gonna be insane to see. I think it's awesome.
                        Last edited by MGoBlueHockey; 08-11-2017, 11:08 AM.
                        ---
                        National Champions: 1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
                        Frozen Four: 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1954, 1955, 1956, 1957, 1962, 1964, 1977, 1992, 1993, 1995, 1996, 1997, 1998, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2008, 2011, 2018
                        19 Conference Championships
                        10 Conference Tournament Championships
                        2 Hobey Baker Winners

@UMichWD on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by MGoBlueHockey View Post
                          Mel making big changes.

No one has ever worn a jersey number higher than #39 here. Ever. In the 95 year history of Michigan Hockey. Until now.

#43 Quinn Hughes
                          #45 Jack LaFontaine
                          #47 Christian Meike
                          #61 James Sanchez
                          #74 Nicholas Boka
                          #88 Steven Merl
                          #90 Dexter Dancs
                          #91 Michael Pastujov

That's gonna be insane to see. I think it's awesome.
                          I just came to post this. Numbers exist beyond 39? I'm not sure I've wrapped my head around this yet.

note: according to the list I saw, Nick Pastujov (sophomore) will be #91. Michael (freshman) is taking #21
                          Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                          wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                          7 B1G
                          7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                          6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                          5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                          5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                          2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                          2 Alaskan

Comment

Man, I'm excited about this season. May have some stuff after this evening- but I doubt it.

In other words- as an indicator of Red's impact, Red is the Grand Marshall at the Pure Michigan 400 this weekend at MIS.

Really- a college hockey coach a grand marshal at a NASCAR race. Wow. I may not be a fan of NASCAR(I'm an open wheel and road race guy), but it's interesting that Red had such of an impact that he's there.

Comment

Man, I'm excited about this season. May have some stuff after this evening- but I doubt it.
                              No stuff- other than some good optimism. Which is always good to hear.

Comment

Working...
                              X