Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: University of Michigan, 2017-2018, a new era starts

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
    An interesting strategy but probably isn't needed, our troopers don't really discriminate - they're jerks to EVERYBODY!
    It's done more so that my car doesn't get damaged by drunk and disgruntled butteye fans.
    Originally posted by alfablue
    Still bitter, eh? Gotta get over it someday. He left, and UMICH was right.
    Originally posted by Nick Papagiorgio
    I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
      It's done more so that my car doesn't get damaged by drunk and disgruntled butteye fans.
      It's kind of funny because Buckeye fans feel the same way about parking at Michigan but I'm actually at U of M quite a bit and never experienced any problem and I think you'll find our hockey fans aren't bad.
      The only time I hear the bad stories is when we play each other in football because that's when you have all the drunk & disorderly and it happens at both schools. If I ever saw a Buckeye vandalize the car belonging to the fan of an opponent you can bet I'd be on your side and see how well they like the experience of the weekend in jail.

Comment

It's kind of funny because Buckeye fans feel the same way about parking at Michigan but I'm actually at U of M quite a bit and never experienced any problem and I think you'll find our hockey fans aren't bad.
        The only time I hear the bad stories is when we play each other in football because that's when you have all the drunk & disorderly and it happens at both schools. If I ever saw a Buckeye vandalize the car belonging to the fan of an opponent you can bet I'd be on your side and see how well they like the experience of the weekend in jail.
        It would be nice if everyone was that nice. We had our car vandalized at the Columbus City Center back in '96 or so. So it wasn't even on campus. Granted, it was just after we beat you again in FB. But still... I know there are some real Michigan fans in Columbus- as I partially grew up as one. Even played in the little dump that the current women's team plays at- as it was THE only rink on OSU's campus (and our coaches were the OSU players from the early 70's). It's where we met Woody Hayes.

None the less, I'm not planning on heading down this weekend- although my wife may want to....

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
          Even played in the little dump that the current women's team plays at- as it was THE only rink on OSU's campus (and our coaches were the OSU players from the early 70's). It's where we met Woody Hayes.
          Prior to that rink going up in '61 the only rink in Columbus was a seasonal outdoor one about a mile away from the OSU one. if it wasn't below freezing there would obviously be no ice and it had a single light on a pole!
          Glad you got to meet Woody, I wish I could have met Bo before his sad passing.

Comment

Prior to that rink going up in '61 the only rink in Columbus was a seasonal outdoor one about a mile away from the OSU one. if it wasn't below freezing there would obviously be no ice and it had a single light on a pole!
            Glad you got to meet Woody, I wish I could have met Bo before his sad passing.
            In the early 70's, a rink was put up in Westerville that we more played at as I got older. Pretty nice rink, too- as it held some region Midget tournaments.

Comment

I've found the hockey fans to be tame compared to the football fans. I actually like the buckeye posters on this board.

Though, I will say, I have had something thrown at me in every D1 rink in Ohio; skittles at BGSU, popcorn at Miami, straw wrapper at OSU. In contrast, at the horseshoe I had batteries thrown at me and was spit at. So, yeah, hockey fans not so bad.

I plan on driving my car Saturday. I've parked at the Schott for games with my "Michigan Alumni" plate frame and not had an issue.
              Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
              wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
              7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
                Though, I will say, I have had something thrown at me in every D1 rink in Ohio; skittles at BGSU, popcorn at Miami, straw wrapper at OSU. In contrast, at the horseshoe I had batteries thrown at me and was spit at. So, yeah, hockey fans not so bad.
                The only bad experience I had was at Yost 10 years ago and it happened to my daughter when she was a teen. She was wearing the jersey number of the player at the time you guys affectionately called The Dirty Hobbit and someone sitting behind us threw something at her.
                Lucky for them I didn't see who did it or them, me or both would have gone to jail. I wouldn't have minded both going to jail, that way I'd get seconds at their a*s in holding.
                Never any excuse throwing something at a fan, especially somebody's child.
                On a side note, The Dirty Hobbit went on to play in Germany where if up to me he'd get the new nickname of Das Munchkin! LOL!
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-08-2018, 09:49 PM.

Comment

...you guys affectionately called The Dirty Hobbit
                  Yea Andrew Schembri (dude was 5'6" and definitely had lil man's disease). I was just thinking about him a couple weekends ago. ASU has a really short player (Brett Gruber 5'8") and Luce (6'3") was giving him crap. It was funny....
                  I think Notre Dame should wear sparkly silver helmets to match all their runner-up trophies.

Comment

Originally posted by UMICH View Post
                    Yea Andrew Schembri (dude was 5'6" and definitely had lil man's disease). I was just thinking about him a couple weekends ago. ASU has a really short player (Brett Gruber 5'8") and Luce (6'3") was giving him crap. It was funny....
                    I knew Andrew well and the 5'6" was the official listing of his height probably in skates, out of skates he was much closer to 5'3".
                    One evening I was called and was asked by several of the guys on the team to come over to their apartment to help them with something. When I arrived I saw there were some girls there too. I was conversing with a couple of the girls when Schembri walks in half drunk and comes up to the girls saying "You know he's old enough to be my dad." This rather perturbed me acting like he was trying to block me and of course I was only talking, I certainly wasn't hitting on the young ladies so I looked down at him and said "If I was your dad you'd have been about a foot taller!" LOL! He pulled that crap another time as well and I asked him shouldn't you be somewhere telling someone to follow a yellow brick road?
                    Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 03-09-2018, 06:56 AM.

Comment

I knew Andrew well and the 5'6" was the official listing of his height probably in skates, out of skates he was much closer to 5'3".
                      One evening I was called and was asked by several of the guys on the team to come over to their apartment to help them with something. When I arrived I saw there were some girls there too. I was conversing with a couple of the girls when Schembri walks in half drunk and comes up to the girls saying "You know he's old enough to be my dad." This rather perturbed me acting like he was trying to block me and of course I was only talking, I certainly wasn't hitting on the young ladies so I looked down at him and said "If I was your dad you'd have been about a foot taller!" LOL! He pulled that crap another time as well and I asked him shouldn't you be somewhere telling someone to follow a yellow brick road?
                      Harsh.
                      Mini Hunwick was listed at 5'6" I think. I'm fairly certain that was on skates, since I think I'm taller.
                      Wisconsin has a player listed at 5'3" this year. I wonder how tall he really is.
                      Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                      wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                      7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Harsh.
                        Mini Hunwick was listed at 5'6" I think. I'm fairly certain that was on skates, since I think I'm taller.
                        Wisconsin has a player listed at 5'3" this year. I wonder how tall he really is.
                        here is some advice about being 5'3" and playing hockey: keep your head up- its about the same height that opponents carry their stick.

Comment

Harsh.
                          I think that one's pretty accurate.
                          FERRIS STATE UNIVERSITY: 2012 FROZEN FOUR

God, that was fun...

Comment

Harsh.
                            This says 5'7"...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shawn_Hunwick

This too...

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=43622

UM as well...

http://mgoblue.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=4218

At least they're consistent...

http://www.espn.com/nhl/player/stats.../shawn-hunwick

I'm not saying anything as he has seemed on the smaller side everytime that I stood next to him, but I'm 6'1" which is not huge but still.

Comment

I was thinking about Hunwick when we started getting into the fan behavior thing about when he was briefly on the bench for the Blue Jackets.
                              Here you have a kid who's too small to really play in the pro's and he's what, a week out of the end of his playing career at Michigan when the Jackets call Red? 2 goalies out with injuries and they had to have an emergency backup and THAT NIGHT so Hunwick is hustling to get down here in his hand me down Ranger with his gear bouncing around in the bed while he's probably praying it doesn't fall out, signs a rookie contract and is on the bench that night.
                              The great part is they had NOTHING in the equipment room in goalie gear for his size so he's wearing his Michigan regalia with the maize block M for all the Buckeyes to enjoy!
                              They did end up placing some stickers over the M's but at the end of the final game of the season the team and fans were all yelling for coach to put him in and it seemed he didn't want to but finally relented and he went out on the ice he got a standing ovation by nearly 20,000 Buckeyes because even though he was a Wolverine he was also a Cinderella story of a kid who DID get to play in the big show though briefly.
                              It's a memory he'll have the rest of his life to enjoy and I think it shows not all Buckeyes are jerks as they well embraced the kid, Michigan gear & all!

Comment

I was thinking about Hunwick when we started getting into the fan behavior thing about when he was briefly on the bench for the Blue Jackets.
                                Here you have a kid who's too small to really play in the pro's and he's what, a week out of the end of his playing career at Michigan when the Jackets call Red? 2 goalies out with injuries and they had to have an emergency backup and THAT NIGHT so Hunwick is hustling to get down here in his hand me down Ranger with his gear bouncing around in the bed while he's probably praying it doesn't fall out, signs a rookie contract and is on the bench that night.
                                The great part is they had NOTHING in the equipment room in goalie gear for his size so he's wearing his Michigan regalia with the maize block M for all the Buckeyes to enjoy!
                                They did end up placing some stickers over the M's but at the end of the final game of the season the team and fans were all yelling for coach to put him in and it seemed he didn't want to but finally relented and he went out on the ice he got a standing ovation by nearly 20,000 Buckeyes because even though he was a Wolverine he was also a Cinderella story of a kid who DID get to play in the big show though briefly.
                                It's a memory he'll have the rest of his life to enjoy and I think it shows not all Buckeyes are jerks as they well embraced the kid, Michigan gear & all!
                                It's a story that is SO very much better than that kid from Notre Dame- he played in one game, where as Shawn almost won an NC and played pro hockey- all when being a too small walk on.

Comment

Working...
                                X