ESPN Body Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ESPN Body Issue

Six members of the U.S. National Team are featured in this year's ESPN Body Issue, if that interests you:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/sto...onalhockeyteam

Re: ESPN Body Issue

I find the Body Issue a worthless piece of garbage.
    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
      I find the Body Issue a worthless piece of garbage.
      awww... you are just miffed Anne Pankowski wasn't one of the subjects

There are a number of different ways I could go with this:
      1) OK, its summer and many months before a meaningful hockey game is played so ….
      2) as they say, any PR is good PR, given the state of the popularity of women’s hockey …
      3) But ESPN? If it had been my daughter and I found out about it, I would have told her to hold out for Sports Illustrated. ESPN are a bunch of schmucks with no imagination or innovation. Nakid women wearing only a tool of their trade? That’s never been done before. Maybe it’s a fantasy of a lesbian or some leghumper in Saskatchewan, but I can say I have never had a desire to see a woman wearing only hockey skates. SI would have gone with the stick (plus the fact people actually pay attention to SI), or better yet all those medals they have won that nobody cares about strategically placed, which brings me to ….
      4) Show me Olympic Gold or don’t show me anything.

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
        awww... you are just miffed Anne Pankowski wasn't one of the subjects

There are a number of different ways I could go with this:
        1) OK, its summer and many months before a meaningful hockey game is played so ….
        2) as they say, any PR is good PR, given the state of the popularity of women’s hockey …
        3) But ESPN? If it had been my daughter and I found out about it, I would have told her to hold out for Sports Illustrated. ESPN are a bunch of schmucks with no imagination or innovation. Nakid women wearing only a tool of their trade? That’s never been done before. Maybe it’s a fantasy of a lesbian or some leghumper in Saskatchewan, but I can say I have never had a desire to see a woman wearing only hockey skates. SI would have gone with the stick (plus the fact people actually pay attention to SI), or better yet all those medals they have won that nobody cares about strategically placed, which brings me to ….
        4) Show me Olympic Gold or don’t show me anything.
        Are you oblivious to the fact that UW has half of the players in the pics.......On Wisconsin.......kinda anyway.

I don't think flaunting and innuendo is good PR, unless you are trying to increase ticket sales to 12 year old boys. Why can't we as a society move away from garbage like this?
        Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
        Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
        Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
        "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
        Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Are you oblivious to the fact that UW has half of the players in the pics.......On Wisconsin.......kinda anyway.

I don't think flaunting and innuendo is good PR, unless you are trying to increase ticket sales to 12 year old boys. Why can't we as a society move away from garbage like this?
          I have to agree with you on this one Timothy! Very tacky.

Comment

To be fair, many sports and both sexes are represented, but yeah...why? I know some of the women were happy to do it, and proud of the results of their hard work, but if I were a parent of one of them, I might not see the upside. Are they compensated monetarily?
            "A ROCK BAND IS NOT A PERFECT DEMOCRACY. IT'S LIKE A SPORTS TEAM. NO ONE CAN DO WITHOUT THE OTHER, BUT EVERYBODY DOESN'T GET TO TOUCH THE BALL ALL THE TIME." Don Henley

Comment

yeah, I noticed that
              no doubt it is the high admission standards at UW-Madison

Originally posted by DC78-82 View Post
              Are they compensated monetarily?
              if they are I wouldn't leave the check lying around, it is ESPN (BTW, apart of Disney)
              Last edited by pokechecker; 07-07-2017, 01:43 PM. Reason: there is gold in them thar hills

Comment

One thing I have liked about the Body Issue, though less so this year, is the way that it presents a wide variety of body types as being successful in sports. Prince Fielder was in it a few years ago, for instance, as was a woman hammer thrower whose name I can't remember; both were very large and heavy, but very successful at their sport. Displaying a diversity of athletic human form is one of the stated purposes of the issue.

This time around, the only entry that really caught my eye was the amputee climber.

Comment

"When you got it, flaunt it!" If I looked as good as these athletes do I would be proud to show the results of all those countless hours and years of dedication, hard work, and sacrifice. The hope would be to inspire the next generation of young athletes to work just as hard or harder than I did in the pursuit of their dreams.

Comment

Perhaps if I were the locker room towel boy I'd take the time to be able to recognize them by their rear ends, I'm having enough trouble as a fan identifying the players because of their number changes from college to Team USA.

... unless you are trying to increase ticket sales to 12 year old boys.
                    Given they said the IHF boycott was to help 12 year old girls, maybe it is only fair they did something for 12 year old boys.

Comment

The idea is that instead of the fanastical female shapes we see in things like SI's swimsuit issue, the Body Issue is highlighting what the male and female bodies look like when sculpted by world-class level athletic ability. It's quite different from the images normally seen in magazines, and something most people outside of art classes rarely get to see. The fact that dozens of men and women, including committed feminists, have participated over the years should put to rest any concerns.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
                        The idea is that instead of the fanastical female shapes we see in things like SI's swimsuit issue, the Body Issue is highlighting what the male and female bodies look like when sculpted by world-class level athletic ability. It's quite different from the images normally seen in magazines, and something most people outside of art classes rarely get to see. The fact that dozens of men and women, including committed feminists, have participated over the years should put to rest any concerns.

Powers &8^]
                        I understand that, it is designed to generate clicks and perhaps be as successful as SI swimsuit issue. For me, you can see this anywhere and don't need to clickity click. In fact I see better around the lake I run/bike ride, and these people you can talk to if you like. For me it is a fail (the concept, not the men or women), I want to see athletes perform their craft, if I want to see hotties I have plenty of places I can go .

You are aware that many people are dedicated athletes in their spare time, right?

that last part is a good one, thanks for telling me it has the feminists seal of approval, LOL
                        Last edited by pokechecker; 07-09-2017, 02:39 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Eeyore View Post
                          One thing I have liked about the Body Issue, though less so this year, is the way that it presents a wide variety of body types as being successful in sports. Prince Fielder was in it a few years ago, for instance, as was a woman hammer thrower whose name I can't remember; both were very large and heavy, but very successful at their sport. Displaying a diversity of athletic human form is one of the stated purposes of the issue.

This time around, the only entry that really caught my eye was the amputee climber.

Powers &8^]
                          These are the correct answers.
                          Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
                          Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
                          Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

It's quite different from the images normally seen in magazines, and something most people outside of art classes rarely get to see.
                            Powers &8^]
                            you must indeed be on a spaceship somewhere, or perhaps never leave your mothers basement, I see this nearly every day

the danger here is that should they not win gold, they will forever be known as the bimbo's that had three chances and never got it done
                            maybe they need that kind of a potential negative hanging around their head, so they do get it done

Comment

Originally posted by pokechecker View Post
                              you must indeed be on a spaceship somewhere, or perhaps never leave your mothers basement, I see this nearly every day

the danger here is that should they not win gold, they will forever be known as the bimbo's that had three chances and never got it done
                              maybe they need that kind of a potential negative hanging around their head, so they do get it done
                              Really bimbos if they lose? The ESPN body issue will be forgotten before the ice forms. This whole issue is overblown, they want to show off let them, their choice. don't like it, think it's tacky etc DON"T LOOK

Comment

Working...
                              X