Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
    so we are going to leave this one behind? Doesn't bother me none...should be interesting this new thread title...
    Not until we are done with discussion about parking.

Comment

Stirring the The Back Nine... pot:
      We had a pretty awesome year last year, how about we do it again? :
      https://www.facebook.com/UNHWildcats...8818670208818/

On the lighthearted side:
      Did you notice Coach Mac driving students to class yesterday morning?:
      https://www.facebook.com/UNHWildcats...9405006816851/
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

BS35 was most informative with this little facebook blurb. He even answered my remark about the annoying/buzzing lights at the Sits - they replaced the old halogen's with brighter and quieter lights. First we heard the new High Def scoreboard would put us over the top. :-) Now that we know that didnt work, maybe the new lights will finally do the trick. Any bets on if this will work? Or do we still need to wait for Old Tired Whistle to leave the turtle neck at center ice at exit stage left?

Comment

• Originally posted by Whalers View Post

BS35 was most informative with this little facebook blurb. He even answered my remark about the annoying/buzzing lights at the Sits - they replaced the old halogen's with brighter and quieter lights. First we heard the new High Def scoreboard would put us over the top. :-) Now that we know that didnt work, maybe the new lights will finally do the trick. Any bets on if this will work? Or do we still need to wait for Old Tired Whistle to leave the turtle neck at center ice at exit stage left?
          I admit that I was an early proponent of the Jumbotron, for which I will need to deal for the rest of my life, or until we win a NC.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
            Stirring the The Back Nine... pot:

On the lighthearted side:
            Did you notice Coach Mac driving students to class yesterday morning?:
            https://www.facebook.com/UNHWildcats...9405006816851/
            Looking forward to seeing what they come up for hockey as the season gets closer.... Maybe a You Tube about the parking perks...yeah, that's the ticket! (there was that one last year when Coach Mac and Coach U ran into a lecture hall to promote their weekend games...the students looked thrilled needless to say! 4 weeks away!
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 09-02-2017, 08:35 AM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Whalers View Post

Our hero BS35+5 does seem to have this bizarre fascination with the power of lights improving programs.

Oh, and BTW just want to mention here on the down-low that WIS is currently contemplating undertaking legal action against NESN for co-opting/plagiarizing our Fun with Souza Dick and Stew concept with their On Course with Andy Brickley series. Even got a UNH guy to front it. Co-incidence? I think not ...
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                Our hero BS35+5 does seem to have this bizarre fascination with the power of lights improving programs.

Oh, and BTW just want to mention here on the down-low that WIS is currently contemplating undertaking legal action against NESN for co-opting/plagiarizing our Fun with Souza Dick and Stew concept with their On Course with Andy Brickley series. Even got a UNH guy to front it. Co-incidence? I think not ...
                We'll have to start a Go FundMe account for your legal defense 😉🙀
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  We'll have to start a Go FundMe account for your legal defense 😉🙀
                  No need, HR. WIS has armies of lawyers on retainer for just this instance.

Remember this moment when I end up taking over Fenway Sports Group, and relocating the Sox to Montreal.

Comment

Before I forget ... I'm not sure if it was earlier in this thread or late in the previous one, but I was discussing my summer reading and viewing list with Felger (and others?) and mentioned that I'd spent some time with a real-life story about minor league foortball that pre-dated Slapshot, and at least to me seemed to seed the idea that the struggles and travails of minor league sports could combine comedy, pathos and entertainment.

To that end, I offer The Forgettables written by Jay Acton, which chronicled the tale of the 1970 Pottstown Firebirds, which was a Philadelphia Eagles' farm team in the (spoiler alert) soon-to-be-defunct Atlantic Coast Football League. Owned by the world's largest manufacturer of underwear, coached by a minor league coaching lifer, led by the Joe Namath wanna-be QB with one of the world's first mobile phones, and inspired by their mystical and mysterious Hendrix-inspired defensive tackle, the tales are abundant, and the life on the road motifs are endless yet still entertaining. Oh, and lest I forget the hippie defensive end from BC who ran a head shop in downtown Pottstown with his wife? For anyone looking for the Cliff's Notes version, these videos from NFL Films got me into the story in the first place. I hope at least the videos are worth your while ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7m97bkMfZc

1970 Pottstown Firebirds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUEMGHbugRE

Pottstown Revisited (circa 1995?)

FWIW, the BC guy gets glossed over in the first video, but is prominent in the reunion video. Enjoy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      No need, HR. WIS has armies of lawyers on retainer for just this instance.

Remember this moment when I end up taking over Fenway Sports Group, and relocating the Sox to Montreal.
                      Sox will be well out of the race for a WC this season when all of their wins over the Yankees are vacated.

Amazingly, UNH holds onto 18th place in the Greatest Programs thread.

http://board.uscho.com/showthread.ph...ime-1-60/page7
                      Last edited by Snively65; 09-06-2017, 06:31 PM.

Comment

Well, howza bout that? Another win over a An FBS (Division 1-A) team for our FCS (1-AA) 'Cats. Auburn "only" beat Georgia Southern 41-7 on their home field, so gotta be happy with a 22-12 win and a 2-0 start for our #12 Cats. Another in a string of failures for our athletic department, to go along with an $800K grant for a new soccer and lax field (to be shared with Oyster River's youth soccer program), and a great opening night Musket win v. Maine. Complete ineptitude, it seems.

I wonder if anyone out there can fill us in on a few D2 scores.
                        Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Well, howza bout that? Another win over a An FBS (Division 1-A) team for our FCS (1-AA) 'Cats. Auburn "only" beat Georgia Southern 41-7 on their home field, so gotta be happy with a 22-12 win and a 2-0 start for our #12 Cats. Another in a string of failures for our athletic department, to go along with an $800K grant for a new soccer and lax field (to be shared with Oyster River's youth soccer program), and a great opening night Musket win v. Maine. Complete ineptitude, it seems.

I wonder if anyone out there can fill us in on a few D2 scores.
                          Nice W for the Cats. Maybe UNH can build a nice new stadium with those light thingies too Oh wait, they already did!!

I'm in the UK as we speak but managed to listen to the game. The magic of the internet is boundless thanks to Al Gore
                          Last edited by e.cat; 09-10-2017, 08:14 AM.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Very, very happy for the Football 'Cats. It's really amazing to look back and consider what Coach McDonnell has been able to accomplish for so many seasons, with so little support from his boss. Well, at least 'til BS35+5 turned out to be the "last man onto the bandwagon" and envisioned a way to cement his own so-called legacy with what will no doubt someday become McDonnell Field (well deserved) ... at (*ack*) Scarano Stadium.

Unfortunately, Coach McDonnell's success appears to be (in the fave term of the stats geeks among us) an outlier in the overall scope of mediocrity spread across the rest of the UNH Athletics Department.

But I'm sure the Oyster River kids are pretty psyched to have a new soccer pitch coming soon (complete with them newfangled lights thingies ), so (as UNH Hockey fans) at least we've got that going for us ...
                            Last edited by Chuck Murray; 09-11-2017, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck murray View Post
                              very, very happy for the football 'cats. It's really amazing to look back and consider what coach mcdonnell has been able to accomplish for so many seasons, with so little support from his boss. Well, at least 'til bs35+5 turned out to be the "last man onto the bandwagon" and envisioned a way to cement his own so-called legacy with what will no doubt someday become mcdonnell field (well deserved) ... At (*ack*) scarano stadium.

unfortunately, coach mcdonnell's success appears to be (in the fave term of the stats geeks among us) an outlier in the overall scope of mediocrity spread across the rest of the unh athletics department.

but i'm sure the oyster river kids are pretty psyched to have a new soccer pitch coming soon (complete with them newfangled lights thingies :d ), so (as unh hockey fans) at least we've got that going for us ...
                              Bull Feces.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

and, scoreboards! I seem to recall that there was a poster on our threads with that name?

Comment

Working...
                                X