Page 8 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 160 of 905

Thread: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

  1. #141
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Average USCHO poster ranking from the HE Pre-Season thread - 10.45th Place (9 votes)...
    At least we are not solely in 11.00th place. According to the HE Pre-Season thread pundits, we have almost a 50/50 chance for 10th place!.

    But, would not five out of nine 11th place votes put us at 10.55th Place?
    Last edited by Snively65; 09-21-2017 at 12:32 PM.

  2. #142
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    At least we are not solely in 11.00th place. According to the HE Pre-Season thread pundits, we have almost a 50/50 chance for 10th place!.

    But, would not five out of nine 11th place votes put us at 10.55th Place?
    Someone is bullish on the Cats this year and voted them 9th...
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

  3. #143
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    151

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Someone is bullish on the Cats this year and voted them 9th...
    LOL...Sad part is 10th place is probably going to be the best finish for the next few seasons given the current state of affairs.

  4. #144
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,857

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Someone is bullish on the Cats this year and voted them 9th...
    Hmmm, I do not see any 9th place votes for our Cats, but rather five for 11th and three for 10th (I miscounted earlier, I guess). However, two folks voted Maine 9th, and one 7th(!), to go along with two votes for 11th. So, I suppose that would complicate numerical rankings of the other HE bottom feeders.

    But, more important, Whistling Dick, as he is called on the thread, did not get any yes votes for reaching 600 W's (six of eight wrote no, nope, 599, or "do two ties count as a win?"), despite the original poster noting that he needs only 13 W's to get there.
    Last edited by Snively65; 09-21-2017 at 01:24 PM.

  5. #145
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    82

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Please hold the pessimist attitude for March.

    The good news is we have 3 outstanding lines that can play with anyone we will face and a very good fourth line as well. Our top 4 defensemen are as good as all but a few teams in the eastern US. Our goalie will see less shots than the past 2 years and will revert to his freshmen year numbers.

    Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5 + years. We have a talented team, a very good coach, and student athletes that will give their heart and souls to our alma mater or favorite hockey team.

    Please save the nay-saying until February or March. Look at our roster and any sane person would say we have a lot of talent and we will be competitive with anyone this year.

    I will see the true fans on Oct 1 and at Lowell on Oct 6. Let's hope for a 20+ win season as we have senior scoring and all lines have top notch assist men feeding the scorers.

    Enjoy the season haters and true fans and I hope our team plays up to their potential.

  6. #146
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    10,591

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by UNH1932 View Post
    Please hold the pessimist attitude for March.
    By your rules, when in March are we allowed to assess reality? I understood before we were to wait until they start playing, ie. in two weeks. Now we have to hold off until March?


    The good news is we have 3 outstanding lines that can play with anyone we will face and a very good fourth line as well. Our top 4 defensemen are as good as all but a few teams in the eastern US. Our goalie will see less shots than the past 2 years and will revert to his freshmen year numbers.

    I think quoting hockey fans' perception, from all other teams, is pretty neutral way of presenting facts. Your perspective may be a little out of line, though possible.

    Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5 + years. We have a talented team, a very good coach, and student athletes that will give their heart and souls to our alma mater or favorite hockey team.
    Maybe because the team has gone down the drain from top 4 in HE to 10th? And most of the impact recruits (Farabee, Ryczek, Commesso) jumped ship, suggesting that even those who were receptive to the team have lost faith in the direction of the program?

    Please save the nay-saying until February or March.
    So now we can say something in Feburary? Late in February, or even the first part?

    Look at our roster and any sane person would say we have a lot of talent and we will be competitive with anyone this year.
    So, all of USCHO.com forum is insane. Let's see in a week how sane the HE coaches are.

    I will see the true fans on Oct 1 and at Lowell on Oct 6.
    Must be hard being the arbiter of true fans. Please circulate the guidelines so we can all try harder.

    Enjoy the season haters
    Haters root for failure. Lovers try to achieve change that prevents failure. The fact that you can't see the difference suggests you're a bit too close to those who might be viewed as contributing to that failure, and the conclusion that their continued presence in the process is not positive.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-21-2017 at 02:59 PM.
    UNH Hockey:
    You can hold onto something so tight
    You've already lost it.
    Dragging me down, that's not the way it used to be.
    You can't even remember what I'm trying to forget.

  7. #147
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    Hmmm, I do not see any 9th place votes for our Cats, but rather five for 11th and three for 10th (I miscounted earlier, I guess). However, two folks voted Maine 9th, and one 7th(!), to go along with two votes for 11th. So, I suppose that would complicate numerical rankings of the other HE bottom feeders.

    But, more important, Whistling Dick, as he is called on the thread, did not get any yes votes for reaching 600 W's (six of eight wrote no, nope, 599, or "do two ties count as a win?"), despite the original poster noting that he needs only 13 W's to get there.
    Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

    While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

    "Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5+ years..."

    11-12: 15-19-3 / 6th Place HE / No Tournament
    12-13: 20-12-7 / 4th Place HE / TOURNAMENT
    13-14: 22-18-1 / 4th Place HE / No Tournament
    14-15: 19-19-2 / 8th Place HE / No Tournament
    15-16: 11-20-6 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament
    16-17: 15-20-5 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament

    FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...
    Last edited by Dan; 09-21-2017 at 03:49 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

  8. #148
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    [QUOTE=Dan;6527464]Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

    While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

    "Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5+ years..."

    11-12: 15-19-3 / 6th Place HE / No Tournament
    12-13: 20-12-7 / 4th Place HE / TOURNAMENT
    13-14: 22-18-1 / 4th Place HE / No Tournament
    14-15: 19-19-2 / 8th Place HE / No Tournament
    15-16: 11-20-6 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament
    16-17: 15-20-5 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament

    FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...[/QUOTE]


    Which I think, for any of the fans who have left the program (for now at least?) is the main reason. Dan, you echo the "we lose because we have no facilities, can't compete with the Boston teams" excuse on many occasions that you say the 'true fan' espouses. (If I have that right) Can I ask you honestly where you get that from? The powers that be? The coaches? No seriously...and, please know I respect your recruiting knowledge and am not trying to debating anything. I just don't hear that among the fans I see game in, game out. Maybe I listen to the wrong people. Mostly I hang with other pragmatic fans and we have our own ideas about why the 'Cats have ended up 10th as you pointed out, but, facilities and location aren't one of them....Anyone who IS saying that surely doesn't get it.

    Going back to 'true fans' and I think most 'true fans' who understand the game beyond the ice have a pretty good handle on why UNH hockey has hit a skid and are hopeful for a turn around, but offer no excuses like those. Anyway, 'hope springs eternal' as they say! Personally I could care less where others put the 'Cats in polls on this forum, and in the HE coaches poll likely to come out shortly (like my season tix????). I have a good sense of what we have and how we can compete. Am fully aware of what we have lost but I also see some great things still to come. Catch up to me in February....

    In the meantime, looking forward to hitting that ancient, antiquated building we call Lake Whittemore very soon! Go 'Cats!
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  9. #149
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

    While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

    "Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5+ years..."

    11-12: 15-19-3 / 6th Place HE / No Tournament
    12-13: 20-12-7 / 4th Place HE / TOURNAMENT
    13-14: 22-18-1 / 4th Place HE / No Tournament
    14-15: 19-19-2 / 8th Place HE / No Tournament
    15-16: 11-20-6 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament
    16-17: 15-20-5 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament

    FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...
    Much, much better win percentage the past six years than I realized. Cats only need a 0.4375 win percentage to get their coach to the NRN this season, but I think that 14 wins is extremely unlikely.

    Thanks for pointing out MA#1NE HKY's #8 projection for our Cats; I somehow missed that one a couple of times through the thread, which has fallen off page 1. And, I do not see our 1932's #1 ranking for us on there.

  10. #150
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    UNH STH's check your email for an update on our tix!!! Turns out the ticket supplier is from FLA and the tix were delayed in printing due to the recent hurricanes. There are options to pick them up...
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  11. #151
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,857
    [QUOTE=HockeyRef;6527514]
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

    While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

    "Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5+ years..."

    11-12: 15-19-3 / 6th Place HE / No Tournament
    12-13: 20-12-7 / 4th Place HE / TOURNAMENT
    13-14: 22-18-1 / 4th Place HE / No Tournament
    14-15: 19-19-2 / 8th Place HE / No Tournament
    15-16: 11-20-6 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament
    16-17: 15-20-5 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament

    FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...[/QUOTE]


    Which I think, for any of the fans who have left the program (for now at least?) is the main reason. Dan, you echo the "we lose because we have no facilities, can't compete with the Boston teams" excuse on many occasions that you say the 'true fan' espouses. (If I have that right) Can I ask you honestly where you get that from? The powers that be? The coaches? No seriously...and, please know I respect your recruiting knowledge and am not trying to debating anything. I just don't hear that among the fans I see game in, game out. Maybe I listen to the wrong people. Mostly I hang with other pragmatic fans and we have our own ideas about why the 'Cats have ended up 10th as you pointed out, but, facilities and location aren't one of them....Anyone who IS saying that surely doesn't get it.

    Going back to 'true fans' and I think most 'true fans' who understand the game beyond the ice have a pretty good handle on why UNH hockey has hit a skid and are hopeful for a turn around, but offer no excuses like those. Anyway, 'hope springs eternal' as they say! Personally I could care less where others put the 'Cats in polls on this forum, and in the HE coaches poll likely to come out shortly (like my season tix????). I have a good sense of what we have and how we can compete. Am fully aware of what we have lost but I also see some great things still to come. Catch up to me in February....

    In the meantime, looking forward to hitting that ancient, antiquated building we call Lake Whittemore very soon! Go 'Cats!
    Actually, Dan constantly proclaims that the Whitt is still one of the top arenas in the country, and that Durham's wonderful location has it all over the Boston area schools. Being a Durham townie growing up, I do not disagree with him on either of those points.

  12. #152
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Which I think, for any of the fans who have left the program (for now at least?) is the main reason. Dan, you echo the "we lose because we have no facilities, can't compete with the Boston teams" excuse on many occasions that you say the 'true fan' espouses. (If I have that right) Can I ask you honestly where you get that from? The powers that be? The coaches? No seriously...and, please know I respect your recruiting knowledge and am not trying to debating anything. I just don't hear that among the fans I see game in, game out. Maybe I listen to the wrong people. Mostly I hang with other pragmatic fans and we have our own ideas about why the 'Cats have ended up 10th as you pointed out, but, facilities and location aren't one of them....Anyone who IS saying that surely doesn't get it.

    Going back to 'true fans' and I think most 'true fans' who understand the game beyond the ice have a pretty good handle on why UNH hockey has hit a skid and are hopeful for a turn around, but offer no excuses like those. Anyway, 'hope springs eternal' as they say! Personally I could care less where others put the 'Cats in polls on this forum, and in the HE coaches poll likely to come out shortly (like my season tix????). I have a good sense of what we have and how we can compete. Am fully aware of what we have lost but I also see some great things still to come. Catch up to me in February....

    In the meantime, looking forward to hitting that ancient, antiquated building we call Lake Whittemore very soon! Go 'Cats!
    Those excuses are made here ad nauseam - by those who are close to, throw around the term 'true fans' and continue to defend the recruiters. Not by me. The excuses are baseless. Unfortunately, when I hear these excuses from 'non-haters' close to the program I worry about where they originate...
    Last edited by Dan; 09-21-2017 at 06:22 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

  13. #153
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 1999
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,444

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Snivelly -

    Better than I expected too, but those winning percentage numbers are warped by a couple of mediocre seasons early in that span - the program has fallen a long way since sneaking into the tournament in 12-13 (let alone the glory days). Those were the days where you could see the edge of the cliff approaching. Now we have to look back up at the edge. The winning percentage over the last two seasons (.409) is the more accurate reflection of where the program is now. And its only that high because the schedule has been dumbed down substantially...

    Its easy to go back into the past - at various ranges - and make UNH look good. Like last spring, when Adam Wodon used Umile's last ten seasons as an argument for why he should remain at UNH. UNH has something like five NCAA tournaments, a couple titles and a well-above .500 record in the last ten years. Unfortunately all the good numbers come in the first six years of that stretch. Anyone with any objectivity can see the fallacy in those arguments and the struggles of the program in its current state. You don't even have to be a hater. Its no accident that 1932 used 5+ years in his post - it includes a tournament and two 20 win seasons, so what are we even complaining about, right?

    The reality is easy to see - and quite frankly, UNH is LUCKY to have so many true fans (objectively frustrated, blindly loyal and anything in between) who still care enough to post here, complain and head to the Whitt on the weekends. Because interest could be a whole lot worse, given the product they're turning out. Attacking those who care enough to be disappointed seems like a good way to make things worse, but what do I know...
    Last edited by Dan; 09-21-2017 at 06:26 PM.
    Live Free or Die!!
    Miami University '03

  14. #154
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,736

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    Those excuses are made here ad nauseam - by those who are close to and continue to defend the recruiters. Not by me. The excuses are baseless. Unfortunately, when I hear these excuses from 'true fans' close to the program I worry about where they originate...
    Oh I know you don't make them, that much I am sure of. Anyway, moving on. Hoping UNH will surprise here and there this season. We'll see. Psyched that the B's are on NESN tonight! woot!!
    Let's Go 'Cats!

  15. #155
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,953

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dan View Post
    The reality is easy to see - and quite frankly, UNH is LUCKY to have so many true fans (objectively frustrated, blindly loyal and anything in between) who still care enough to post here, complain and head to the Whitt on the weekends. Because interest could be a whole lot worse, given the product they're turning out. Attacking those who care enough to be disappointed seems like a good way to make things worse, but what do I know...
    Bingo.
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  16. #156
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Bingo.
    Seems no one wins right? Can't be a fan and tromp off to the 'Whitt on weekends and actually enjoy the experience because that's a bad thing to do..and you can't be a fan and complain about the product on the ice because that's a bad thing to do.

    Frustrating all the way around. Seems there's no middle ground.

  17. #157
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Thornton, NH
    Posts
    4,857
    Quote Originally Posted by HockeyRef View Post
    Seems no one wins right? Can't be a fan and tromp off to the 'Whitt on weekends and actually enjoy the experience because that's a bad thing to do..and you can't be a fan and complain about the product on the ice because that's a bad thing to do.

    Frustrating all the way around. Seems there's no middle ground.
    I do not think that either of those approaches are bad things to do. Giving money to State U by buying hockey tickets is a good thing. Posting critiques here is also a good thing, as it allows us to vent.

  18. #158
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Once upon a time, Jax , Florida but now somewhere in the Lakes Region of NH
    Posts
    3,736
    Quote Originally Posted by Snively65 View Post
    I do not think that either of those approaches are bad things to do. Giving money to State U by buying hockey tickets is a good thing. Posting critiques here is also a good thing, as it allows us to vent.
    Would like to think there's a live and let live thing going. Agree venting is a good if not necessary thing to do. At the same time just because one is a loyal fan it doesn't mean they are totally blind to a teams shortcomings...In the end I think all want the same thing (hopefully) and that is success for our 'Cats!

  19. #159
    Au revoir and adieu, Les Expos
    Join Date
    Jul 1999
    Location
    Effingwoods NH
    Posts
    11,953

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

    At last, UNH begins its long-awaited, proverbial nationwide search for a successor to the retiring fearless leader ...

    http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/2...ident-underway
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

  20. #160
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2000
    Location
    Arlington, MA
    Posts
    10,591

    Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!




    Umile tanned and rested for the vigors of his retirement tour.

    Quote Originally Posted by After the Whistle View Post
    Chuck and friends, it looks like the year will begin no matter what the feelings are. While much of the emotion on here is understandable, i can now announce the "horse" is officially dead! ... The d will remain a work in progress but also feel that the forwards need to be better 2 way players. An issue that has received little note on these threads. Team defense needs to be a focus.
    I hear you about the horse.
    I think two-way is not really the key, as much as puck possession time. That involves your second point about the D. The forwards had few chances to control the puck because the D rarely got them clean passes. If the puck is always a chip into your area rather than a clean pass on your stick, you'll always be indecisive, not knowing whether to convert to defense or commit to the rush.
    The talent is there on the offense, particularly with healthy Vela and Nazarian, whose injuries killed their year, and Blackburn with a year under his belt.
    Two key recruits are excited by Mike Souza, and they are the key to the D. You know what you get with Marks, Wyse, and the Boyd/Dawson/Chanter groupings. See point 1 above.
    Can Gildon or Maass control the puck for the breakouts. From what I saw they are good offensive players in the offensive zone, but I didn't see enough if they can get to pucks in the defensive zone and control them. From what I saw of Maass, his offensive zone play is very good, and given his later round NHL pick status, have to imagine defense is not as strong. Gildon looked like Masonius in his zone. Can handle the puck OK, but not really take charge.
    If either can really become that guy who corrals loose pucks and changes the direction of the play, then that will be a huge positive.
    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-23-2017 at 03:40 PM.
    UNH Hockey:
    You can hold onto something so tight
    You've already lost it.
    Dragging me down, that's not the way it used to be.
    You can't even remember what I'm trying to forget.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 3 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •