Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I wonder if Grasso should stay on the first line moving forward - even as players return from injury. While depth issues were part of the problem this weekend, the first line has sputtered without TK most of the season and Grasso has been slow to get going since returning to the line-up...

While point totals look fine for the top line they've only managed six goals through ten games. Last year the top line averaged 15 goals every ten games. Additionally, of the first-lines 6-16--22 aggregate point total (including zeroes from 13 and 20 this weekend), 5-8--13 came in the series sweep of Colgate against two sub-standard back up goalies. In the remaining eight games they're just 1-8--9. Five of those assists are a result of Gildon going off in the first game with CC - leaving the top unit 1-3--4 in the other seven games played...

Now Salvaggio and McNicholas are fine players - they're were wonderful on the top line last year. But it was clear in their production pre-TK and it's becoming clear post-TK that they need a straw to stir their drink. Salvaggio is a hard-skating, hard-shooting player who needs someone to get him the puck or skate him open. McNicholas is a pure playmaker (he needs the same to score) and again is more of a north-south make plays off the rush or wing type of passer. They miss TKs east-west, circle the zone skating ability, puck possession and cleverness badly.

CK is a great passer, but a different type of player than his brother. Grasso has the type of elite hockey sense, lateral agility, speed and handles that made TK such a talent. I think he could jump start that line and, at the same time, benefit from 11s passes and 10s space creation...

A second line then builds itself - and in the mirror of the top group - with BVR reprising the Salvaggio role (though he's a more patient and balanced than hard-charging sniper), CK giving you the McNicholas type play-maker and Blackburn as your clever well-rounded, lateral scorer.

The bottom six need to get healthy asap - the 3rd/4th lines UNH ran out this weekend just won't get it done at the D1 level. Period. Even tonight's second line is simply going to have a hard time being dangerous offensively. When healthy the team HS great F depth for the first time in years. When unhealthy it's going to make it that much harder for the top-six to give you what you need. Ideally, this is my bottom six...

Eiserman - Nazarian - Vela

* hard-skating, two-way, tough to play against group. The kind of bottom six line that made Denver so good last year.

McAdams - Miller - Fregona

* Mismatched parts, but good speed and quickness, can transition and win shifts.
    Dan, another interesting set of observations. We really did miss the big guys all weekend and losing 3vR early Friday was hugh. Norm's system had us on our heels all night and they owned our end. Very fortunate to escape 2-1 but just an ugly game to watch. Chuck mentioned not being strong in the corners and that really hurt all weekend but more so on Friday. BU/BC games are always fun no matter the discrepancy in ability etc. They are always fun to watch with lots of up and down and quick skill demonstrations with just as quick defensive moves to turn it around.

And while not making lemonade out of lemons, until the last 8 minutes or so last night we showed heart, speed and a lot of grit for being that undersized and down 4 important parts of this offense. While I have no problem with a 20 switch to the first line when 23 comes back, I see 23 a better fit as 20 is a shoot first guy who is not as much a set up man in my eyes. But lets give it a try as the first line is, as you noted, struggling at present and that switch would not throw off 7-26 and whomever.

The UNH "Black Flier' were driving them crazy last night and i loved the effort. Effort allow can't win games but it can help keep you from losing.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
      My BU-UNH memory from those days is a game in 1972. My girlfriend (now wife) and I always stood in the corner at the scoreboard end of Snively. It was a great view and with the chain link, you could hear everything. At one point in the second period, with UNH up by a couple of goals, Umile got into a scrum with Jake Danby, who was about 8 inches taller than him. The refs came in and broke it up and as Umile skated away, he yelled at Danby, “look at the f’n scoreboard.” If memory serves, BU poured it on in the third and won by a couple of goals.
      Greg, that is a truly wonderful story.

Think about all that symbolism and what it foreshadowed.

If someone were writing a history of UNH hockey (at least to this point) that would be a great opening vignette.
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

• Originally posted by Felger View Post

If someone were writing a history of UNH hockey (at least to this point) that would be a great opening vignette.
        Well it foreshadowed that BU was a wagon that year. They had won the NCAAs the year before and would go on to win them again, in Jack Kelley’s last year as coach. He was replaced by Leon Abbott, who was unlucky enough to be the victim of the Buckton/Marzo recruitment “scandal,” partially orchestrated btw by Ned Harkness. On the UNH side, that ‘72 team was pretty feisty, finishing fifth but finding its way to the Garden for the first time. I’ve always thought that that edition of the Wildcats provided the impetus for all the great (and underachieving) teams that UNH had for the next few years. Exciting times those seventies teams provided.

Btw, I did write the history of UNH for the 75th anniversary program sponsored by the FOH in 1999. When I started it, I talked to Umile about his recollections as a player and as a coach. I did mention this famous (at least in my mind) anecdote but he had no recollection. I asked him if it was possible that he might have said something like this and he said, “it’s possible.”

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post

I was thinking the same thing, Felgie. Glad you beat me to it. Well done!!

Once anyone puts that "scoreboard" crap out there, he'd better be prepared to seal the deal, or he'll own it.

A more fitting opening vignette for the drama that's been UNH Hockey for the last 50 years would be hard to find.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            Funny that you mention our "neighbor state U to the north," as Paul Kariya inducted into HOF in Toronto on Friday night. Maybe some day JvR joins him?
            Originally posted by chickod View Post
            Quite possible!
            Looks like a pair of normally sane and respected posters got into the moonshine 'round midnight last night, eh?

Paul Kariya and JvR simply do not belong anywhere close to the same discussion. College OR pro. End of.

Just a short list of things Kariya accomplished that JvR never has (or never will):

* Hobey Baker winner and NCAA *D-1 National Champion (obligatory Walshy related asterisk)
            * Scored 100 points in a season three (3) times - twice NHL, and once NCAA D-1 - missed a 4th by one point
            * 50 goal scorer in the NHL
            * 40 or more goals 3 times in the NHL - missed a 4th by one goal
            * 30 or more goals 7 times in the NHL - JvR has accomplished this once (1) to date, missed a second by one goal
            * 3 time NHL First Team All-Star, and seven (7) year team captain with Anaheim
            * 2 time Lady Byng Award winner (for what that's worth)

And the disparity - as huge as it is already - would have been even wider had Kariya not had his career (and his effectiveness) shortened by a series of concussions that eventually forced his early retirement.

JvR will only get into the HHOF in Toronto the way most of the rest of us do - with a paid admission.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              I was thinking the same thing, Felgie. Glad you beat me to it. Well done!!

Once anyone puts that "scoreboard" crap out there, he'd better be prepared to seal the deal, or he'll own it.

A more fitting opening vignette for the drama that's been UNH Hockey for the last 50 years would be hard to find.
              And, for a closing vignette? The season of so many yummy cupcakes on the shelf?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                And, for a closing vignette? The season of so many yummy cupcakes on the shelf?
                Jerry York announces at the HEA 2017/2018 awards dinner that he is not returning behind the BC bench next season, instantly rendering the (choreographed) retirement of Coach Umile to "distant 2nd banana" status.

But despite this weekend's hiccups, at least Coach U will reach the NRN. So he's got that going for him.

Comment

I attended my first game at the Whit on Friday (why it took so long, I don't know) and was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere. The student section in the third period was fairly loud and animated (I think it helps that most of the lukewarm fans have dispersed to parties or whatever by then) but the other parts of the building seemed dead.

Fact that it was a mostly dull game didn't help, but I'm open to any and every suggestion that could improve the game day environment. I've undertaken the role of drumming up as much support for the program as possible and I'm basically an unpaid PR firm at this point. I've got some time on my hands and am willing to try anything, so don't hesitate to run some things by me or say hi if you run into me at a game (I'll be wearing the Patrick Kane USA jersey). I have a special hatred in my heart for BC (though the one guy in this thread seems nice) so anything to help pull out a win on Friday.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                    Looks like a pair of normally sane and respected posters got into the moonshine 'round midnight last night, eh?
                    Well, OK...a little off base. But it was a bad night for the Wildcats so I tried to be "understanding" and not say anything that might upset anyone...

Comment

Originally posted by UNH_Puck533 View Post
                      I attended my first game at the Whit on Friday (why it took so long, I don't know) and was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere.
                      Wow! I have some homework for you to do. Go to just about any thread here and read about the ongoing "attendance" discussions. Just about EVERY team is wrestling with the same issues (there's even a separate thread addressing the attendance "woes"). I am not going to begin to revisit it here, but suffice it to say this discussing has been going on for over two years...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                        Wow! I have some homework for you to do. Go to just about any thread here and read about the ongoing "attendance" discussions. Just about EVERY team is wrestling with the same issues (there's even a separate thread addressing the attendance "woes"). I am not going to begin to revisit it here, but suffice it to say this discussing has been going on for over two years...
                        plus, ya know, the whit has been quickly dated. ich
                        a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH_Puck533 View Post
                          I attended my first game at the Whit on Friday (why it took so long, I don't know) and was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere. The student section in the third period was fairly loud and animated (I think it helps that most of the lukewarm fans have dispersed to parties or whatever by then) but the other parts of the building seemed dead.

Fact that it was a mostly dull game didn't help, but I'm open to any and every suggestion that could improve the game day environment. I've undertaken the role of drumming up as much support for the program as possible and I'm basically an unpaid PR firm at this point. I've got some time on my hands and am willing to try anything, so don't hesitate to run some things by me or say hi if you run into me at a game (I'll be wearing the Patrick Kane USA jersey). I have a special hatred in my heart for BC (though the one guy in this thread seems nice) so anything to help pull out a win on Friday.
                          Happy to meet up and compare notes! I sit in 101 row D...also have a special interest in promoting the games so we should chat it up. I will say having gone to other arenas we do a decent job of promoting the fan like 'seat of the game' (well, I know) but we could do more. Also the 'who scores first' stuff, the 'quizzes' on the tron, are all things to help engage fans so to speak. I thought of a few things and really pushed to bring back the pre game 'clap' (not taking credit but maybe my countless emails wore 'em down among other people who did the same ) which they took away a couple of years back. If you want to meet by the pic (which I see they haven't changed yet this season??) Friday between the first and second, I'll be there.
                          Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-13-2017, 05:44 AM.
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by mookie1995 View Post
                            plus, ya know, the whit has been quickly dated. ich
                            At least we got our brew on , which was one of the reasons I flocked to BU haha (the Agganis is a palace btw..love it there)
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-13-2017, 07:31 AM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Paul Kariya and JvR simply do not belong anywhere close to the same discussion. College OR pro. End of.

Just a short list of things Kariya accomplished that JvR never has (or never will):

* Hobey Baker winner and NCAA *D-1 National Champion (obligatory Walshy related asterisk)
                              * Scored 100 points in a season three (3) times - twice NHL, and once NCAA D-1 - missed a 4th by one point
                              * 50 goal scorer in the NHL
                              * 40 or more goals 3 times in the NHL - missed a 4th by one goal
                              * 30 or more goals 7 times in the NHL - JvR has accomplished this once (1) to date, missed a second by one goal
                              * 3 time NHL First Team All-Star, and seven (7) year team captain with Anaheim
                              * 2 time Lady Byng Award winner (for what that's worth)

And the disparity - as huge as it is already - would have been even wider had Kariya not had his career (and his effectiveness) shortened by a series of concussions that eventually forced his early retirement.

JvR will only get into the HHOF in Toronto the way most of the rest of us do - with a paid admission.
                              I will take "normally sane and respected poster" any day. Just to repeat, I wrote that "Maybe some day JvR would join him" [Paul Kariya in the HHOF]. I did not write that JvR was as good as Kariya, although with the second longest NHL career for an UNH player thus far, he may have a few more years to make his case. If I am not mistaken, Rod Langway remains the only former UNH player elected to the HHOF (2002).

Comment

kariya counts his exhibition games at umo. not legit.
                                a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

Working...
                                X