Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Dan View Post
    I hesitate to respond, because while some people believe I enjoy discussing Tirone's shortcomings, in reality I do not. But since you may as well be talking directly to me...

The job of keeping pucks out of the net is getting done - however, the real stars of the process are Marks, Gildon, Wyse and Maass who have been excellent (with the exception of the UVM game) at retrieving pucks and clearing the zone. That is not something UNH defenders have been able to do in recent seasons.

I also think we will see, come later in the season, that this early season run by UNH will have come (with the exception of UML) against a few of the least productive/dangerous offenses in college hockey.

I'm not sure the early returns would be much different with any of the three goalies. In its four best games, UNH is allowing less than one GPG. In the remaining four, opponents are scoring nearly 3 GPG. Their success depends entirely on how they play in front of DT.

Unlike some, I do not think he has stolen many saves or games. He has been steady. He has been good enough.

However, massive kudos for him for not losing games, giving the team a chance every night thus far, for nearly eliminating all soft goals against (a couple in the win over CC not-withstanding) and exhibiting noticeably improved mental toughness (which is something he has said he worked on this off-season) in his ability to bounce back from goals against and ending the practice of giving goal for momentum away immediately. He has earned the right to continue playing big minutes in the weeks to come. I would rather they hashed it out in competition, but the result is the same - the goalie in the crease is playing well.

PT for Robinson is imperative, at some point, to help develop him moving forward and plan on a goalie for next season and beyond. So I hope they will coach deeper Umile's last stand and get the kid in there for a game or two soon...

Am I suprised at the success as of late...a little but as a reality check its really do to a really soft schedule. Umass Lowell isnt nearly as good as most thought....UNH should be Colgate, UMASS...tie vs Vermont is about right and splitting with Colorado was promising....all in all the real part of the schedule is coming up to really see what we have here.

Comment

Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
      Am I suprised at the success as of late...a little but as a reality check its really do to a really soft schedule. Umass Lowell isnt nearly as good as most thought....UNH should be Colgate, UMASS...tie vs Vermont is about right and splitting with Colorado was promising....all in all the real part of the schedule is coming up to really see what we have here.
      Well, I suppose when you look at the schedule you can say that, but, I'd have to also remind that last year's schedule with all the 'cupcakes' look where we were. Granted, the D improvement has been most likely the single most biggest improvement and so far, we've 'survived' with out TyK (can't believe I just typed that ). Quite honestly I am hoping for a competitive UNH team this weekend regardless of the result....

But for today? Am enjoying our top 10 status for all it's worth!!! Go 'Cats!!
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-06-2017, 02:01 PM.
      I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        Agreed with most all of your assessment Dan, The difference to me is that he is getting to the puck, seeing it better, and controlling rebounds at a much higher level than last year. By your statement I do not think we are in disagreement on this. I also agree with the fact that the defensive improvement has really done a lot to take care of him and that both of these will see more of a test as time goes on.

Remembering that Umile is still the captain of this ship, I only see two games on the schedule that would possibly see Robinson get a shot at playing, those would be the "now post Thanksgiving ECAC clunker" at RPI and the next Saturday against Army. I'm with you that he should see some action and that Tirone would do well with a couple of games off. I don't even know that we will see Robinson for either of those games, but I think we all would like to. The third and in my mind very distant possibility is Yale in the Ledyard Classic.
        And Brown on 1/6/18! Give the kid some ice!
        You must have listened to the UMass post game show. They could not have said "opportunistic" more times. As in "LUCKY", not capitalized on or took advantage of.

We are still an anomaly to one and all. the Kool Aide is in front of me and......
        But you know what? i drink it far more than most, and I'm fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
          You must have listened to the UMass post game show. They could not have said "opportunistic" more times. As in "LUCKY", not capitalized on or took advantage of.

We are still an anomaly to one and all. the Kool Aide is in front of me and......
          "Opportunistic"; Coach speak for they got lucky and we didn't. I guess the CC kid who sniped that OT winner was lucky too!
          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
            "Opportunistic"; Coach speak for they got lucky and we didn't. I guess the CC kid who sniped that OT winner was lucky too!
            Personally? I don't care how we win just WIN!! 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post

Me? I like the blue kind ... (Kool Aide) 😉

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Personally? I don't care how we win just WIN!! 😉
                They don't ask how, they ask how many!!
                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                  Or, UML, BU, and BC really could be cupcakes this season. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Or, UML, BU, and BC really could be cupcakes this season. :-)
                    Haha the Funfetti kind is best....😉

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      I say don't fix what ain't broke. As per the goalie SO...no clue. Guessing 3?
                      OK, time's up. Only one (1) Div 1 goalie has more shut outs than our DT so far, and that goalie is Jake Kielly, who has three with Clarkson. DT tied with five others with two. Sure, I agree, DT's defensemen have improved hugely this season, but I also think that DT has flopped around a lot less this season than last, at least based on the two games that I have seen up to now.
                      Last edited by Snively65; 11-07-2017, 05:34 AM.

Comment

This start has me pumped for what could be this year!

Comment

Coach U and Danny Tirone are on the 'Coaches Show' tonight discussing the upcoming UML/BU weekend:

http://www.unhwildcats.com/watch/?Live=275&type=Live

Comment

CHCC beats Yukon 2-1, and moves ahead of our State U by a point in the HEA standings, adding some pressure for our Cats against the two cupcakes on the shelf this weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                              CHCC beats Yukon 2-1, and moves ahead of our State U by a point in the HEA standings, adding some pressure for our Cats against the two cupcakes on the shelf this weekend.
                              Yeah I watched that game last night to see what those two teams had going on. It's a pressure cooker weekend for sure! Looking forward to see how our 'Cats respond. Go Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Yeah I watched that game last night to see what those two teams had going on. It's a pressure cooker weekend for sure! Looking forward to see how our 'Cats respond. Go Cats!!
                                I'm curious, Ref ... did Luce Canaan beg Jerry for his old job back, or was he more subtle about it?
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X