Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
    So what’s up with Grasso? Sophomore slump or just getting back into the swing of things? Seems pretty invisible out there so far, at least on the scoresheet.
    It looks like the shoulder is still bothering him on the ice. He is not digging in and getting to the net like he was last year. His offensive positioning in the first two games has been at or around the circles looking for a good shooting position where last year he was fighting it out in front of the net.

The second part of this is he has not been on the first PP unit yet, Vela is still holding that spot and it really serves two purposes. Vela is the first man to take the faceoff as McNicholas is not nearly as successful as he is at winning them. Also, going back to the first point, Grasso last year was the screen guy in front taking a beating for rebounds. I think they are definitely trying to keep him out of those type of situations for the time being.

He has had a few great chances that have just missed being goals, so I am hopeful that he can get things going. Between just trying to get back into things and the points I mentioned above, I am not surprised that he is slow to get on the sheet.

Comment

• Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
      At least 2, and I believe it was 3 of Vela's penalties were called by the ref at center ice and not the one looking directly at the play. The holding call (which was legitimate) was one and the last trip was as well. Not going to blast the officials for it being that way but the box score makes it look worse than it was. The only thing I can't believe they didn't call was the Vermont player who elbowed Blackburn in the back of the head driving him into the end boards in the third. But yeah, this game was not lost on officiating so I will leave it at that.

I think worse than the apparent lack of energy was the passing. I would say 40% if not more of our attempted breakout passes went right on to a Vermont players stick, and that was before they decided to shut down and sit on a two goal lead with 12 minutes left. I would also like to see the faceoff stats as my rough calculations put us at below a 25% win percentage on those as well.

It was rough to watch, so I will just take the tie and move on to Amherst next weekend. Looking for a much better effort and precision in their play.
      If you MUST know the face offs were won by UVM 40-
      28 😳 Not one of our strong suits...
      Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-29-2017, 02:53 PM.
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by deltabravo62 View Post
        He has had a few great chances that have just missed being goals, so I am hopeful that he can get things going. Between just trying to get back into things and the points I mentioned above, I am not surprised that he is slow to get on the sheet.
        Makes sense. You have to believe the offense will be much more dangerous when he's 100% and Eiserman returns.
        GO BLUE!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          If you MUST know the face offs were won by UVM 40-
          28 😳 Not one of our strong suits...
          They must have been generous and have us a bunch of the "toss ups" I know it got better in the second period but still, not a good showing on the circle. Vela and Blackburn are the only two that win faceoffs with any level of consistency.

Comment

A few game highlights courtesy of UVM Athletics:

http://uvmathletics.com/news/2017/10...-with-unh.aspx
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Casey DeSmith in relief for Pitt as they are getting killed by the Jets. Can't find the game must be on Direct or NHL network? HE goalie v HE goalie...Hellebuyck is opposing goalie for the Jets.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-29-2017, 07:01 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Casey DeSmith in the game for Pitt...think game is on NBCSN.
                One shot one goal... hopefully he can settle down and get rid of the nerves.
                GO BLUE!

Comment

Casey DeSmith in relief for Pitt as they are getting killed by the Jets. Can't find the game must be on Direct or NHL network? HE goalie v HE goalie...Hellebuyck is opposing goalie for the Jets.
                  In after Matt Murray gives up 4 on 9 shots to get yanked - DeSmith gives up a goal on his first shot against. Good luck to him he rest of the way, it doesn't look like the rest of the Penguins showed up tonight...

Alternate theory - who's the Pens goalie coach?? Jk. Jk.
                  Last edited by Dan; 10-29-2017, 07:17 PM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by d.gerry View Post
                    One shot one goal... hopefully he can settle down and get rid of the nerves.
                    At least it was a beauty! Check out the first comment. If he only knew...

https://***********/bradytrett/status/924788205710319616

#NiceD
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      In after Matt Murray gives up 4 on 9 shots to get yanked - DeSmith gives up a goal on his first shot against. Good luck to him he rest of the way, it doesn't look like the rest of the Penguins showed up tonight...

Alternate theory - who's the Pens goalie coach?? Jk. Jk.
                      I see what you're doing there Dan lol.
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• And he starts the second period with by taking a penalty, haha. But, he has three saves now to lead all Pens goalies in save percentage tonight at .750!
                        Live Free or Die!!
                        Miami University '03

Comment

Tie in HE on the road not necessarily a bad result ... tie for purposes of the March with a two goal 3rd period lead, disastrous. Coach Umile's team has now had two straight games where they couldn't finish things out cleanly, and while 5-1-1 isn't a bad thing, it puts some extra emphasis on the importance of earning a W on the road at Amherst next weekend. The rest of November pits UNH against teams that have regularly gotten the better of them more often that not in recent years. December looks relatively tame ... but if they manage to skate through this weekend and next without a W, then it's three winless games on the trot, looking at the possibility of a barren November.
                          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                            2014 Hockey East Championship Game goalie matchup
                            https://***********/TheVTHockeyBlog
                            https://thevermonthockeyblog.wordpress.com/

Frozen Four: '96, '09
                            NCAA Tournament: '88, '96, '97, '09, '10, '14

/r/collegehockey moderator
                            Fan of the UVM Catamounts, Charlotte Hornets, Oakland A's, and Philadelphia Union

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                              Looks like the same outcome is imminent as well.
                              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by TovarishchLisa View Post
                                You just had to bring that up.... (Oh I think I maybe alluded to it...)
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X