Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    The bolded statement is similar those that we have heard back here lately from all of the local sports talking heads, like the Bosox are going to win the World Series, the Patriots are going to go 19-0, the Celtics are finally going to beat the Cavs in the NBA East Playoffs, and the Bruins will improve upon last year's first appearance in the NHL playoffs in a long time.

I would not write off CC just yet, as they did beat UVM 4-3 back here two weekends ago. And, with their sweep in Anchorage last weekend, that is a lot of flying, with over 4000 miles round trip three weekends in a row; yikes!

And speaking of Alaska Anchorage, I got wondering how Josh Ciocco is doing. Apparently, the GoFundMe effort topped the $15k goal, and from some recent comments suggest that he is home from the hospital, preparing for further surgery (?), and his leg should be saved. Does anyone have further info?

https://www.gofundme.com/joshciocco
    Should...and will are obviously two different things! I worry more about the 'Cats 'looking past' CC, and like you pointed out, they are capable of winning (UVM) albeit early in the season. This is such a strange sport sometimes; 'on any given night' anyone can beat anyone. It's also tough to keep up a torrid pace in this game (like most). So, guess we'll see what the 'Cats are made of. Should sweep...but will they? I think I'll pass on the predictions this weekend, but nothing would surprise me!

Maybe C-H-C has insights into Josh's recovery? Go 'Cats!
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Story on Benton Maass

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/hoc...s-nhl-prospect
      https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
      Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
        Thanks for the article Jeff! So glad he was identified and came to us. It's more than obvious already what the addition of he and Gildon have meant to UNH and it will be most exciting to see how he develops as we go along. The fact we didn't make him wait is also refreshing; 'fixing the D' has been the main issue for awhile now and we are on that path. Go 'Cats!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
          The bolded statement is similar those that we have heard back here lately from all of the local sports talking heads, like the Bosox are going to win the World Series, the Patriots are going to go 19-0, the Celtics are finally going to beat the Cavs in the NBA East Playoffs, and the Bruins will improve upon last year's first appearance in the NHL playoffs in a long time.

I would not write off CC just yet, as they did beat UVM 4-3 back here two weekends ago. And, with their sweep in Anchorage last weekend, that is a lot of flying, with over 4000 miles round trip three weekends in.
          As ref pointed out, I said should - not would. They should have beaten CC last year - and did not, so it would not surprise me if they fail to sweep. Still, we are talking about a team that has been in the argument for worst in DI hockey the past three seasons and has had tremendous difficulties scoring goals. The Tigers have scored 141 goals in the last two seasons combined. They bring one line of offense, a solid goalie and not much else to the Whitt this weekend.

UNH has talked the talk about a commitment to defense, winning a lot of games this season and sending Umile out in style. Kudos to them for walking the walk through two weekends, but if you're want to accomplish those goals and be that kind of team then CC is a group you SHOULD be sweeping...

I don't think that's too much to ask. I certainly don't think it's the same as asking a team to go undefeated for an entire season in a league built on parity or expecting one to waltz to a title in an unpredictable sport like baseball. Four points should be an expectation, less than three a disappointment...

CC was home last weekend, so jet lag will not be a problem. UAA is awful. They were also shutout at UVM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

Let the good times roll, indeed ... your "Champions of December" in waiting, the 2017/2018 UNH Wildcats continued their perfect start to the season with a second consecutive weekend sweep, this time against mediocre ECAC opposition from Colgate. 5 goals in each game, and Patrick Grasso still hasn't skated a shift. It's hard not to be giddy, as WIS Productions brings you the latest in the "Pinch Me, This Can't Be Happening" edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The March to 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 590
            Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 10
            Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 32
            Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 31.3%
            WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 83%
            2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 2/2 (100.0%)

When the schedule details were originally released, the two home games against Colgate loomed large as likely important bounce-back opportunities in the aftermath of the home-and-home openers against UMass Lowell. But in the wake of the unexpected sweep against the defending HE champions, Coach Umile's UNH squad was in some ways "playing with house money" and ahead of schedule, with no pressure to speak of as their Upstate NY visitors arrived. A split would have consolidated the two earlier W's and kept chopping away at the NRN, but two more W's to add to the ledger, Coach's Quest has now been upgraded to a March towards the NRN, as reflected above in the header. The four game winning streak has also catapulted his 'Cats to a #17 ranking ... but again, it IS still October, and fast starts are not exactly historically rare for a program noted nearly as much for those as their late season "Umile-ations". BS35+5 is again looking like the proverbial genius he truly believes he still is (in his most delusional moments) for sticking with his uniquely extended succession plan, and the March may break out into an all-out Gallop, and end up being a done deal by New Year's Eve!!

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. Although we predicted Friday's home win, and guessed UNH's Friday's goal scored with Colgate's Saturday tally, our pessimism for completion of the sweep proved to be unfounded. The 'Cats are currently at least two games ahead of WIS projections at this stage, so our original forecasts for the NRN have been upgraded, and we expect it will be a fait accompli earlier than anticipated. Adding to the good news is the arrival of the "next cupcakes on the shelf" in the form of Colorado College, who are masquerading as possible "Champions of December" in the NCHC. The Tigers are the ones giving off the scent of overconfidence, and WIS expects the 'Cats to show their guests what for in the penultimate game of the "Halloween Homestand" on Friday night. But sadly, the 'Cats will then fall victim to complacency in the return game on Saturday night, with a late one-goal loss predicted to keep the true-blue UNH doubters from letting go of their concerns.

Predictions:

Friday: @ UNH 6 Colorado College 1
            Saturday: Colorado College 4 @ UNH 3

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 10/28/17 @ UVM

COMMESSO RE-COMMIT WATCH: Blue-chip former UNH commit G Drew Commesso is reportedly reconsidering his decommit, and was recently spotted by WIS operatives hitchhiking in beautiful downtown Effingwoods, asking where and when the next bandwagon, err - COAST bus - was scheduled to be coming through town, all while wearing his "I Believe In UNH" t-shirt from his previous recruiting visit. O ye of little faith. Repent and ye shall be set free!!

WIS INITIATIVE - "WATCH THE FACTS" - COMING SOON!!

WIS operatives have been out and about in the world of college hockey, in search of the truth amidst false narratives and hidden agendas at the highest levels, on and off the ice. Watch this space for incredible disclosures as they unfold.

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!
            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

From Concord Monitors Nick Stoico:

UNH: Patrick Grasso is ruled out for this weekend vs Colorado College. Chris Miller likely back on 3rd line w/ Blackburn, BvR.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post

And speaking of Alaska Anchorage, I got wondering how Josh Ciocco is doing. Apparently, the GoFundMe effort topped the $15k goal, and from some recent comments suggest that he is home from the hospital, preparing for further surgery (?), and his leg should be saved. Does anyone have further info?

https://www.gofundme.com/joshciocco

The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post

Fantastic to hear. Thanks, Mike.

Comment

Slainte
                    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                      Slainte
                      Will you be gracing the 'Whitt this weekend e.cat?
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Will you be gracing the 'Whitt this weekend e.cat?
                        Oh Yeah
                        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I love the fact that I can catch the games on espn app -- at 1:00 pm my time. Haven't watched much since I moved away. Cautiously optimistic by what I've seen so far. The energy and enthusiasm seems real. Of course, it remains to be seen how they'll hold up in the heart of league play. It's not necessarily the early wins that tell the story, but how they'll bounce back from close disappointments and the inevitable bad beats, as well.

Comment

Hey Guys

New to posting on the thread but I have been following since 2006. Not sure why I started posting now. Should have started earlier. Just a little back ground on myself I have been attending UNH Hockey games since birth in 1988. My parents had season tickets 2000 - 2010. UNH student 2006-2010. Interned for Athletics Marketing from Fall of '08- Spring of 2010.

Seen a lot of great hockey over the years. Watched the UML series on ESPN 3 from Vail Colorado where I live now. Went to the 2 games this weekend and was impressed with what I saw especially out of the freshman. Kelleher looked very poised on the ice. Very impressed with his awareness diving tip pass across the crease on the McNicholas goal. Eric MacAdams looked very good especially with his physical play finishing checks. Showed that he wanted to be on the ice and was deserving of the ice time given. Maass was very solid especially for someone right out of high school hockey. Although we all do know the MN High School hockey is leap years ahead of the NHIAA. Gildon had some mishaps in Saturday nights game but has looked good so far. Wearing #8 and his style of play reminds me of Jayme Filipowicz commanding the point in '99.

Looking forward to this weekends games against CC. Traveled to CC and DU a few years back. Also looking forward to share my thoughts and post in the future!

Comment

Originally posted by Krog Pond View Post
                              Hey Guys

New to posting on the thread but I have been following since 2006. Not sure why I started posting now. Should have started earlier. Just a little back ground on myself I have been attending UNH Hockey games since birth in 1988. My parents had season tickets 2000 - 2010. UNH student 2006-2010. Interned for Athletics Marketing from Fall of '08- Spring of 2010.

Seen a lot of great hockey over the years. Watched the UML series on ESPN 3 from Vail Colorado where I live now. Went to the 2 games this weekend and was impressed with what I saw especially out of the freshman. Kelleher looked very poised on the ice. Very impressed with his awareness diving tip pass across the crease on the McNicholas goal. Eric MacAdams looked very good especially with his physical play finishing checks. Showed that he wanted to be on the ice and was deserving of the ice time given. Maass was very solid especially for someone right out of high school hockey. Although we all do know the MN High School hockey is leap years ahead of the NHIAA. Gildon had some mishaps in Saturday nights game but has looked good so far. Wearing #8 and his style of play reminds me of Jayme Filipowicz commanding the point in '99.

Looking forward to this weekends games against CC. Traveled to CC and DU a few years back. Also looking forward to share my thoughts and post in the future!
                              It's great to see a couple of "new" posters tonight and hope that you'll keep coming back! Especially fans like you who have watched Wildcat hockey for awhile; it's great they are doing well at the moment and hope it carries over into the weekend...They certainly at this point are exceeding a lot of early expectations and naturally as the competition increases we'll see how they fare. I am liking what I'm seeing from this team esp. the energy they bring to the ice. Go 'Cats!
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I can't tell you how many long time UNH fans (some former posters) have told me over the years that they wouldn't come back to following the program until *something* very specific changed. Now that said *change* is imminent, it seems some of those folks are already beginning to wander back to the fold. phb is someone who used to be a pretty frequent poster on here back in the glory days, and for some time after, until moving away. There are dozens of past posters, and hundreds (if not thousands) of fans just like phb out there, and many potential young fans like KP (a year older than my eldest, apparently) that the program has been whiffing on for a long, long time.

So the people out there DO pay attention. All they're asking for is a reason to have hope again.

Four games does not a season make. But new leadership behind the bench is something a lot of folks have been asking for (and for a long, long time), as UNH has fallen further and further back from their past glories (and near glories). This is what's at stake for Coach Souza and his staff as the transition takes place over the coming months. He knows what the program looked like when he was here as a player, and he has a chance to make it happen all over again now that he's back and fronting the program. If that opportunity doesn't wake you up early every day and get you out to do ALL aspects of your job at an even more intense level, then I don't know what would.

Now just go out and make it happen, Mike. No pressure.
                                Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                                Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Working...
                                X