This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    4-0-0 with another offensively challenged (last night's six spot against Anchorage not withstanding) and defensively vulnerable team coming to the Whitt. This is why you schedule the cup cakes. They lost these games last year, but they're winning them this year and before you know it your 6-0-0, and regardless of who you played, believing you're a 6-0-0 kind of team. Confidence is a real factor and IF they pull of 6-0-0 that could really have an impact on future results against tougher opponents in HE...

CC is poor defensively - especially after the departure of Kvilhame (who could really move the puck) and below average offensively. They're really a one-line team and it's an average line at that. Trey Bradley (son of former NHLer Brian Bradley) already has five assists and he's the one who makes them go. Take away his space and they'll struggle to create chances. The goalie Leclerc is very good and can keep them in games.

It should be a 6-0-0 start heading up to Vermont...

Lowell finally wins a game. BU was swept. UConn loses at Sacred Heart. Northeastern ties RIT. Vermont losses. Bucky beats Mack after beating BC last night. UMass did beat AIC. HE struggling early outside of Durham...
    How was butts in the seats attendance tonight?

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

A bit sloppy tonight in the defensive end. Colgate could have scored a couple more if they hadn't missed some wide open net. Also, the team seemed a bit tired in the second half of the game; lost some of that jump that we have seen, and at the same time Colgate ramped it up a bit.

That said, nice to win on a night when we did not play as well.

Going forward we could do a bit better on face-offs; seem to have lost some key ones.

Crowd was small but noisy. Hopefully this year's improvement will bring back some fans as the season moves on.

Great to be 4-0!
      Go Cats
      Former HEA Champions

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        How was butts in the seats attendance tonight?
        Looked just like last night...
        Live Free or Die!!
        Miami University '03

Comment

For what it's worth, I absolutely take you at your word that this happened, AND it's against the guidebook ...

Originally posted by Dan View Post
          I'm not the least bit surprised that it appears to be minutiae to you. The stat crew's only job during the game is to get the stats right so its hardly minutiae even if you only care about the bottom line of the W. While many stat crews play the 'homer' and pump up a team's statistics, UNH's went back hours after the game to take assists away incorrectly. Its not the first time or I wouldn't have mentioned it to begin with. It happens often.

If Blackburn ends up playing this way the entire season, taking away legitimate points isn't going to help him win awards or generate media coverage. You know what helps sell recruits (especially for downtrodden programs desperately in need of selling points) - success (team and individual), awards (indications of development) and media attention. You know who pays attention to minutiae and doing the little things right - successful and winning programs and athletic departments.

I took a quick look at the numbers this morning and found that UNH ranked second to last in 2016-17 HE assists/goal and fared far worse at home than on the road. They're not only not helping their team/players but incorrectly hurting them. Perhaps in a way you don't care about, but still in a way that tangibly effects the program ...
          My god, Dan ... if you believe half of what you've written here ... so I guess your thought is that if (your example) Liam Blackburn has 20 assists by tournament time instead of 23 assists, that's going to be make-or-break on whether someone decides to interview him for the NESN broadcast, or give him consideration for All Hockey East Honorable Mention? I suspect your bigger point is that depriving a kid like Tyler Kelleher of a couple of extra helpers could be the difference between just getting a Hobey nomination, or making the "Hat Trick" or even winning the thing. But let's be honest here ... Kelleher didn't get more consideration for one reason, and one reason only. It wasn't because the folks in charge of handing out assists shorted him. Nope, it was because his season ended earlier than most (if not all) of the other front-runners, and for all the great things he did, his team finished in 10th place IIRC in the league. And the statistician who can make chicken salad out of that chicken crap hasn't been born yet.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that any scouts making assessments on these players aren't going to sweat it on whether the player had an assist docked after the fact.

The way you were going there, I was half-expecting you to conclude that such statistical thievery was going to destabilize the economy, burn a hole through the ozone layer, and melt the polar icecaps.

I think you know I'm with you 95% of the time when you/we rail against the amateur hour that parades as the AD's office in Durham. And I'm probably the last person on here who should be telling anyone not take things to silly, extreme conclusions 'cuz I've likely got the all-time board record for that (maybe the UNH SID is tracking that? ). But honestly, if we've come to the point where we're criticizing the stats guys on being stingy with the assists ... I mean, without looking it up, can you name the last 10 winners of the NCAA Men's D-1 Assists *title*? The last 5? The last 3?? Last season???

They're not only not helping their team/players but incorrectly hurting them.

Whatever "pain" is apparently being inflicted, if this is something that's actually bothering these assist-deprived players ... then we have the wrong players, don't you think? Just sayin' ...

P.S. - nice to bump into Scott briefly at the game tonight, plus several of my players and their families. Thoughts to follow tomorrow
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            For what it's worth, I absolutely take you at your word that this happened, AND it's against the guidebook ...

My god, Dan ... if you believe half of what you've written here ... so I guess your thought is that if (your example) Liam Blackburn has 20 assists by tournament time instead of 23 assists, that's going to be make-or-break on whether someone decides to interview him for the NESN broadcast, or give him consideration for All Hockey East Honorable Mention? I suspect your bigger point is that depriving a kid like Tyler Kelleher of a couple of extra helpers could be the difference between just getting a Hobey nomination, or making the "Hat Trick" or even winning the thing. But let's be honest here ... Kelleher didn't get more consideration for one reason, and one reason only. It wasn't because the folks in charge of handing out assists shorted him. Nope, it was because his season ended earlier than most (if not all) of the other front-runners, and for all the great things he did, his team finished in 10th place IIRC in the league. And the statistician who can make chicken salad out of that chicken crap hasn't been born yet.

Beyond that, I'm pretty sure that any scouts making assessments on these players aren't going to sweat it on whether the player had an assist docked after the fact.

The way you were going there, I was half-expecting you to conclude that such statistical thievery was going to destabilize the economy, burn a hole through the ozone layer, and melt the polar icecaps.

I think you know I'm with you 95% of the time when you/we rail against the amateur hour that parades as the AD's office in Durham. And I'm probably the last person on here who should be telling anyone not take things to silly, extreme conclusions 'cuz I've likely got the all-time board record for that (maybe the UNH SID is tracking that? ). But honestly, if we've come to the point where we're criticizing the stats guys on being stingy with the assists ... I mean, without looking it up, can you name the last 10 winners of the NCAA Men's D-1 Assists *title*? The last 5? The last 3?? Last season???

They're not only not helping their team/players but incorrectly hurting them.

Whatever "pain" is apparently being inflicted, if this is something that's actually bothering these assist-deprived players ... then we have the wrong players, don't you think? Just sayin' ...

P.S. - nice to bump into Scott briefly at the game tonight, plus several of my players and their families. Thoughts to follow tomorrow
            Sorry to have missed you Mr. Murray...I had brought my Pom for easy identification. Hubby thought he saw you on the concourse!! Next time...
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
              A bit sloppy tonight in the defensive end. Colgate could have scored a couple more if they hadn't missed some wide open net plus hit a couple of crossbars. Also, the team seemed a bit tired in the second half of the game; lost some of that jump that we have seen, and at the same time Colgate ramped it up a bit.

Going forward we could do a bit better on face-offs; seem to have lost some key ones.

Crowd was small but noisy. Hopefully this year's improvement will bring back some fans as the season moves on.

Great to be 4-0!
              Good calls.

Comment

Chuck - I have work(ed) as both a recruiter and a SID. Good latters are much more important and beneficial to the formers (for many reasons) then you know. It all adds up. I'm sure it hurts no ones feelings - but it certainly limits accomplishments/attention that recruiters can sell. But I know Ws and Ls are really all that matter to you and at the end of the day maybe you're right.

So let's leave it at UNHs latters consistently do a bad job at their job and it annoys me.
                Last edited by Dan; 10-14-2017, 10:15 PM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  Sorry to have missed you Mr. Murray...I had brought my Pom for easy identification. Hubby thought he saw you on the concourse!! Next time...
                  He was probably right. I was doing my usual between periods laps to work off the calories from eating two undercooked $4.25 hot dogs on arrival after a busy day on the road. I missed the first 10 minutes, but heard the roar for the first UNH goal while I was rounding the field hockey "pitch". One of my player's families swore they saw me when I walked into the building , others were shocked to hear I was in the house, but caught up to me later, knowing I'm usually halfway up behind the goal opposite the student section (missed the usual note-taking session on Tirone's pre-game warm-ups ). I guess I move in mysterious ways, but I swear I'm not hiding!

But enough about me. Cool vibe around the UNH campus tonight. Didn't realize the Men's Soccer team was playing in The House that BS35+5 Built (I forgot Football was at Stony Brook, and not at home), but them light thingies were looking very impressive. My kids have been graduated from UNH two years ago now, but the place definitely has changed over the last few years. Campus life seems to be a lot more lively these days, with all the added on-campus housing. I would like to say the kids are looking younger, but I know it's more a case of me moving in the other direction. Might get back next weekend for one of the CC dates before our season begins in earnest, but it's nice to see UNH winning games again. Coach is making a mockery of The Quest at this point - and good for him.

Comment

For Snively65 ... looks like UNH is now up to #3 in the PWR, behind St. Cloud and Air Force. Previous #3 Colorado College (a/k/a the next cupcakes on the shelf) fell all the way down to #13. Expecting UNH to move up a few more spots in the national poll(s) this week, continuing their traditional "Champions of December" form.

Comment

My god, the in game production crew at the Whitt needs some immediate remedial training. The entire in game was a mess tonight, they completely botched the entrance and by the third period had at least 10 people in my section (not me, but I understand their reasoning) as the music was way over the top. That alone could push any first timers they may have had in the crowd to say "not doing this again". Playing music over the in game announcements... The first couple of games were a bit rough but it's getting progressively worse. I used the STH feedback link they sent in the post game email to maybe get someones attention. *my god I'm ranting like an old man of 27 over here...*

Anyway, I had a hard time trying to figure out if we were playing down to Colgate or if they were coming out with something to prove tonight. I think it was a bit of both with the edge to Colgate playing up. I was happy with Salvaggio answering after they cut the lead to 2-1. There were not a lot of major concerns in the game, it just looked a bit sluggish compared to the last three. Tirone is making things look a lot easier out there so far, he was a little more "athletic" as some put it (scrambling in my book) tonight but still made a lot of key saves and did not give up any softies.

Take the win and move on, just do not fall asleep with your 4-0-0 record and be ready for Colorado next weekend.
                      Last edited by deltabravo62; 10-14-2017, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                        For Snively65 ... looks like UNH is now up to #3 in the PWR, behind St. Cloud and Air Force. Previous #3 Colorado College (a/k/a the next cupcakes on the shelf) fell all the way down to #13. Expecting UNH to move up a few more spots in the national poll(s) this week, continuing their traditional "Champions of December" form.
                        Beat me to it. But, there is more, much more, Chuck!

Tirone all alone at top with 4-0-0 record as goal keeper (thanks, HR).

UNH 3rd in GPG at 4.25, tied for 8th in GAPG at 1.75, 9th in PP for 26.67% (4 for 15), and 40th in PM at 10.5 PMPG (21 for 42 PM; no longer worthy of SMT designation).

Comment

What happened to," we will be lucky to win a game"
                          I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Chuck,

Sorry that we didn't get a chance to chat....glad that you made it to the game! Any opinion on the fermented beverage availability on the concourse?
                            UNH

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
                              Colgate may not be all that good, but watching Max skate last night, it looked like he saw everything on the ice moving in slow motion. He did not start. Maas did. They were together on the PP together at least once. Has that ever happened at UNH before? FR D-men on the ice together?
                              Good question Darius. Dunno the answer.

Nothing succeeds like success which applies to these two guys.

Guess you could also say it applies to W's and dishing out helpers when appropriate too!!
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
                                A bit sloppy tonight in the defensive end. Colgate could have scored a couple more if they hadn't missed some wide open net. Also, the team seemed a bit tired in the second half of the game; lost some of that jump that we have seen, and at the same time Colgate ramped it up a bit.

Great to be 4-0!
                                Chris Miller must have been hurt during Friday's game when Fregona moved to his slot. Last night Dawson played forward over Sacco or James Miller, but the 4th line did not get the ice time that they did with Fregona. By the end of the game we were skating 3 lines exclusively. First time this year we were not consistently rolling four lines. MacAdams' and especially Cefalu's energy were missed.
                                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Working...
                                X