Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

With 11 teams in Hockey East this coming season, that means the top 5 teams go straight to the QF round, while the next six teams have to play in the MBPBEGAM round. Seeds 6 thru 8 get the home ice,, seeds 9 thru 11 travel.

So UNH will finish 9th, win 12 regular season games, and take the first game of the *playoffs* against the likes of UConn or Merrimack (this is a recording) before dropping the last two games. And you know what that means ...
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Dragging this over from the HE Preseason Thread, with responses triggered by my prediction The Quest stalls at 599 ...

Originally posted by NU_Husky View Post
      Honest question, do you think if it happens he comes back to get 600 or does he let Souza take over as planned?
      No way would he come back ... or more accurately, no way he would be allowed back. Technically, his "lifetime contract" will have finally expired, and (as we will touch on later below) he's already pushed this situation out well beyond the point of tolerance, and in doing so has worn out his welcome. It is far more likely someone at UNH will come up with some far-fetched scheme to re-classify one of the exhibition wins as a legitimate non-conference win (and that's not happening, obviously). To say there would have to be some serious face-saving gesture(s) involved should the Quest stall out short of the NRN would be an understatement of epic proportions ...

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
      IMO, Dick Umile has more pride and class than to even think of holding UNH hostage to a personal magic number.
      Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
      Then what were the last two years plus this year?
      As they say ... pride goeth before the fall. Coach does have lots of pride - arguably, too much TBH. And the longer he's hung on over the last half-decade or so, as his formerly perennial national contending program has migrated slowly but steadily away from the heights where he earned the (somewhat patronizing) tag of the "classy runner up", he has squandered a ton of goodwill in the process, as long-time UNH fans endure the seemingly endless wait to see if his successor can "right the ship" that Coach has currently let run far adrift.

In doing all of this, Coach has really ended up putting his UNH legacy in a really tough spot. Should he be remembered for the success he was in the midst of during the better part of his first 20 years on the job? Absolutely yes. But the longer he has hung on, the longer this stretch of abject mediocrity (at best) has extended, and each year takes us another step further removed from all the good (if not great) things he did accomplish in the '90's and '00's.

Coach can still pull this out of his hat in a positive way IF he finishes up this season with a winning record, and something to show for the postseason (trip to Boston and/or the NCAA's). The sooner he gets the 600 in the rear-view mirror, the better. But scraping to the 600 in the RS finale or in the MBPBEGAM *playoffs* is not going to do anything other than allow the AD's office to put together some cloying little ceremony in mid/late February. And my guess is that ceremony will involve a lot of polite applause, and a somewhat embarrassed coach.

Where I think Coach has put his legacy on the line was his direct involvement in selecting Coach Souza as his successor. If Souza is not successful, then that's another (post-retirement) strike against Coach Umile. On the other hand, if Souza turns into the second coming of Shawn Walsh or Norm Bazin, then Coach Umile should be hailed as a visionary in seeing something that pretty much no one else has yet seen from him to date.

So I guess the way I look at it is, Coach Umile has gone "all in" on his UNH legacy with how things have played out over the last 3 seasons. Whether his legacy emerges unscathed (using an offseason meme, he shoots par), eroded (bogey) OR enhanced (birdie) probably depends on the outcome of all of the above. But getting the 600 thing out of the way ASAP - and obviously that would take a definitive winning RS record, something that's been a hallmark of his program until very recently - is the immediate key to allowing the man to leave his job with some semblance of dignity, with the rest to be determined later this season, and then again (hand-picked successor) many years from now.

For the record ... I'm rooting for him, and I pray to God my prediction proves to be wrong. 'Cuz 599 would just be brutal.

Comment

Bob

There were between 5000-6500 who watched the game at any time. The majority of students were gone by halftime and there were never more than 200-300 on the visitors side. We did have 22000+ in the parking areas with former classmates but very few went into the stadium. 12000 of the tix were for undergrads.

Comment

Watcher

You have most of the players who are on first four lines but Coach Umile will likely have different lines than your predictions. Fregona is a gifted scorer but it is unlikely he will get many opportunities to have power play time or top 6 forward time. I do not disagree with you on most of your assessments of talent. There needs to be a right shot and left shot and a center that can win some faceoffs. Given those constraints, you will be disappointed next Sunday and the following weekend when you see the lineups.

I urge you do wait and see who is playing where and when. They have senior talent, junior talent, terrific sophomore talent and one top six forward that might be a freshmen. There might be a different freshmen in the top 9. I do not know any better than you but I believe McNick and Salvaggio will stay together.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
            I do not know any better than you but I believe McNick and Salvaggio will stay together.
            Yes, I agree with this point, for sure. It would be very unlike Coach to split these two after their success together - whether or not Kelleher was arguably the catalyst without whom their success would not have happened. He will keep them together until they prove themselves it was down to Kelleher ... OR maybe they show they haven't been given enough credit? Fair enough if he does. We should see soon enough if it works without Kelleher or not.

Comment

What I'd like to see...
              Salvaggio - McNicholas - Grasso
              * This is their best bet as a big offensive line and they need one. Success this season hinges on their ability to score and lead a potent PP without TK. It's a question fair to ask of all three until they prove otherwise. I think they'll be solid - but worry we'll find out just HOW MUCH more impactful TK was on his linemates than Aston-Reese. Sikura, Gaudette and Cockerill making the pre-season first team? It's just as likely they (and Stevens bros) made ZAR better. TK was clearly the catalyst, these three must step up without him...

Nazarian - Blackburn - Vela
              * These are the three I'd give the first shot at providing depth. Blackburn is a clear number two center, for me, and Nazarian and Vela have the talent to score goals. If they don't swaps can be made, but I'd give them the shot.

BVR - Kelleher - Eiserman
              * What will they get immediately out of CK? BVR is built for a top-six role but I think there are better options initially. Eiserman was never a pure scorer with the USNTDP, but an elite banger, forechecker, etc who could score. If he can pop a few more playing with two play-makers that would be a great add. In the meantime, he'll have to set the tone for two skill-players as a checker...

Fregona - Miller - McAdams
              Sacco - Cefalu

*UNH has two issues with its forward group that make line pairing difficult. First, a lot of their true centers belong in their top six which limits options at center for the bottom six. I hope they do not drop a player like Nazarian or Vela for the sole purpose of playing C. It would hurt the offensive production of their top two lines and they need those groups to produce. Second, their wingers are hard to match up by shooting-hand/on-side which is important to them but not so much to me. Plenty of players are successful on their off-side and plenty of teams employ off-side wingers (DU). It would be a shame to see either BVR or Eiserman languish on the fourth line just to match up R and L shots. Fregona is the wildcard of this group, he has real ability but he's a freelancer and we'll see how much strength he added this summer...

What I'd guess we'll see...

Salvaggio - McNicholas - Vela
              Eiserman - Blackburn - Grasso
              BVR - Nazarian - Miller
              Fregona/Cefalu - McAdams - Kelleher
              Sacco
              Last edited by Dan; 09-25-2017, 11:59 AM.
              Live Free or Die!!
              Miami University '03

Comment

What I'd like to see...

Marks - Gildon
                Maass - Wyse
                Chanter - Miller
                * The future is now, play all three of the kids and Wyse a ton and hope they can be the bedrock of a standout D moving forward. I'd imagine the unit still has some trouble this season without any stand out upper class men and what's behind them. Counting on rookie D is always tough, especially with two true freshmen. I believe Miller is just 19, too. I think the teams ceiling is 7th - I'd rather finish 9/10th and give the four young D a real chance to develop, adapt and adjust so they can hopefully excel in the future.

Dawson - Boyd?
                Nonis

What I'd guess we'll see...

Chanter - Wyse
                Marks - Gildon
                Maass - Dawson

Miller - Boyd
                Nonis

What I'd not be surprised to see...

Chanter - Wyse (with Chanter/Marks starting games together)
                Marks - Dawson
                Maass/Miller/Boyd - Gildon
                Nonis

Even if the rookie D can only give you FR Pesce, Truelson and Kostolansky - play them early, often and in all situations and hope they turn into upperclass Pesce, Truelson and Kostolansky down the road!
                Last edited by Dan; 09-25-2017, 11:52 AM.
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Agree with Dan's assessment of the forwards and likely line combinations.

I shudder at the thought of Chanter getting first pairing minutes (visions of "senior first checking line" two seasons ago), and agree he should rarely play outside 3rd pairing ... BUT also agree Coach may see things differently.

Comment

Your original 6 is closer than you think. One is not a lock but I would not be surprised if the 6 you chose will be the norm.

Comment

We will not know until 10/6, but you may be underestimating Tyler's brother. I would bet Eiserman is on second line not third but I have been surprised before. It is likely you have the better part of the top 9 but I would not be surprised if Fregona or MacAdams are in the top 9 either. We do have some talent and have some faith in the coaches to start the year.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                        We will not know until 10/6, but you may be underestimating Tyler's brother. I would bet Eiserman is on second line not third but I have been surprised before. It is likely you have the better part of the top 9 but I would not be surprised if Fregona or MacAdams are in the top 9 either. We do have some talent and have some faith in the coaches to start the year.
                        So, all but Sacco and Cefalu in top 9? My arithmetic may be sketchy, but that sounds like 12 forwards in the top 9?

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                          So, all but Sacco and Cefalu in top 9? My arithmetic may be sketchy, but that sounds like 12 forwards in the top 9?
                          Yes Snively there will only be 9 players on the first 3 lines. There is a strong chance that either Fregona or MacAdams may be on the right wing on one of the top 3 lines. There are one or two other players (mentioned by others) that are probably not on first 3 lines. We hope to see you Sunday at the Whitt.

Comment

2017-18 Hockey East Preseason Poll
                            (1) Boston University – 90 (2)
                            (2) UMass Lowell – 88 (5)
                            (3) Providence – 83 (2)
                            (4) Boston College – 75 (1)
                            (5) Northeastern – 72 (1)
                            (6) Vermont – 54
                            (7) UConn – 39
                            (8) New Hampshire – 37
                            (9) Merrimack – 29
                            (10) Maine – 19
                            (10) Massachusetts - 19
                            The Souza record:
                            15-16 10th place
                            16-17 10th place
                            17-18 11th place
                            18-19 8th place
                            19-20 9th place
                            20-21 10th place
                            21-22 9th place
                            22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                              2017-18 Hockey East Preseason Poll
                              (1) Boston University – 90 (2)
                              (2) UMass Lowell – 88 (5)
                              (3) Providence – 83 (2)
                              (4) Boston College – 75 (1)
                              (5) Northeastern – 72 (1)
                              (6) Vermont – 54
                              (7) UConn – 39
                              (8) New Hampshire – 37
                              (9) Merrimack – 29
                              (10) Maine – 19
                              (10) Massachusetts - 19
                              Welp, at least we aren't last!
                              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Hey, 8th place means home ice for the MBPBEGAM round of the so-called *playoffs".

Could make all the difference in whether The Quest ends happily or predictably ...

Comment

Working...
                                X