Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    How was butts in the seats attendance tonight?
    A bit better than Friday, but still... meh. Student section and band were noticeably fewer than Friday.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by catsfan View Post
      A bit sloppy tonight in the defensive end. Colgate could have scored a couple more if they hadn't missed some wide open net. Also, the team seemed a bit tired in the second half of the game; lost some of that jump that we have seen, and at the same time Colgate ramped it up a bit.

That said, nice to win on a night when we did not play as well.

Going forward we could do a bit better on face-offs; seem to have lost some key ones.

Crowd was small but noisy. Hopefully this year's improvement will bring back some fans as the season moves on.

Great to be 4-0!
      Both nights. Colgate finished like we did last year. As in... they didn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
        …more than 'casually' peruse the recruiting thread…
        Try as I might, I can’t. For me it’s like food. I enjoy eating it, am glad to hear about new restaurant openings, but lose interest reading reviews and recipes. No disrespect to those who enjoy or live in the recruiting word. I’d like to think if it were my profession I would be as meticulous as y’all.

… discuss UNH recruiting real time that's what's currently taking place …
        Do we really know what UNH recruiting is up to real time? Which 15 year olds they are targeting? Again, no disrespect to the recruiting pros and I appreciate the dismal reality of recruiting Freshman high school kids, but having been casually around youth sports a few years back, this is almost as much a crap shoot as a science, hence the deferrals, full rides becoming partial, etc.

…good trolling…
        Thanks!?!

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
          What happened to," we will be lucky to win a game"
          Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in with the obligatory "Well, it's a down year for the conference after all, someone had to step into the vacuum" etc.

Random thoughts and musings after my first trip of the season to Lake Whitt:

* It's been over 20 years now, and the grounds around The Whitt have matured nicely. I still can't help but think they can do something more imaginative than the bare bones ivy stuff on the main exterior concrete wall facing Main St. Still atop my wish list is improved access from the A Lot over/under the right of way to the arena. I'm 90% certain I wouldn't have missed the opening goal last night if I wasn't forced to add a quarter mile walk, plus the up and down from the summit of Mount Overpass. Which brings me to the following ...

* Revolutionary, fan-friendly (albeit expensive) solution to this and many other issues would be to temporarily move the field hockey pitch for a year or two, install a multi-level underground parking garage on the site, which would be available not only for sporting events on both sides of the street, but also for additional student parking needs, commuter parking with easy access to the adjacent Downeaster station, and eliminate my constant whining about the over-and-back to the A Lot. Then you top it off with the return of the field hockey pitch. And you'd also have a legitimate basis to charge ALL of the aforementioned users for the privilege of warm underground parking between November thru March. Not to mention what a nice perk that might be to offer it for reduced rates to STH's. Perhaps you could even have direct access from the underground garage into the arena lobby (allowing the rec facility's users to be paying users as well), the train station at the other end ... or even with a more lengthy tie-in to the new stadium across the street? With pretty much all of the rest of the field complex having been built out in recent years, this could be the crowning jewel to put a bow on it all. Oh yeah, and just one more reason to bring the hoops teams back over into The Whitt, and allow BS35+5 to finish up the other side of his stadium. Y'know, being a visionary is tough work, but someone's gotta do it around here ...

* The beer thing is definitely working in the arena. For the first time in a lot of years, there seemed to be more noise in the building last night, and I'm not talking about the stupid pre-programmed crap coming out of the PA, or the pedestrian as always pep band. More chatter and more interaction with the on-ice play ... or maybe that's just the improved quality of play, and the recent outbreak of winning hockey. Remains to be seen, but the lights are a little brighter too - no doubt courtesy of the "Thomas Alva Edison 2017 Man of the Year Award" recipient, a/k/a Coach Umile's soon-to-be-former boss;

* Oh yeah, the on-the-ice stuff ... sorry to digress. Anyway, Tirone looks good so far, and certainly hasn't provided any fodder for the "he wanders/scrambles too much" crowd yet. I sat near a bunch of kids who seemed to know Robinson and they seemed to be resigned to the fact that their pal was not expecting to get into much action this year, but they seem to think he is Plan B (not Clark) if something does go wrong. FWIW last night, Tirone did get lucky a few times; as another poster mentioned there were a couple of open net chances missed, and a couple of clangers that otherwise beat him, too. I thought he could have done better on the first goal, but the last two were just down to poor defending. There were a few too many close calls, which brings me to the next point ...

* The defense was pretty soft in front of the cage, and Colgate was able to get traffic in front of Tirone fairly easily, while not getting moved out. There were several screens and deflections that seemed to miss by inches, which on another night could make for an ugly evening. The potentially scary thing to me was, I didn't think Colgate's forwards were that huge. In fact, I thought they were faster and more mobile, and there were several times that they made Wyse (not his best one) and the 3rd pairing (which scares the bejeezus out of me BTW) look like proverbial traffic cones. Glidon looks like a future Hockey East first team talent (if he stays around long enough, hopefully to play with his younger bro) but even he seemed to struggle with the physical side of things. Maass made a very good first impression, while Glidon commands the game. Surprised but not shocked to see Dawson relegated to 4th line forward last night, reprising the role of Tim Horst from back in the glory days. When you choose your 7th/8th best defenseman as your captain, this is what happens;

* It looks like the McNicholas/Salvaggio/Kelleher line is back to its old tricks. Good to see Vela back in action, playing well, he was missed for long stretches last season ... and Eiserman seems to be this year's probable recipient of the Austin Block/Casey Thrush senior breakout scoring honors winner. Nice finish in traffic for a huge goal late in the second period to re-establish the two goal lead, went off for a bit, but was back in action in the third. Can't say anything about the BvR goal but heard it was nice. Salvaggio's first that rang off the top corner and in, highlighted how UNH was fortunate to get some of the breaks, but winners make the most of their breaks, and losers whine "What if?" on their close calls. Eric MacAdam is going to be a player I really like going forwards, and I thought Fregona worked hard at both ends last night.

* I think the part that made me happiest about last night's game is that UNH never trailed, and once they took the lead, they never gave it up. Especially after Colgate scored about midway through the 3rd period, it seemed UNH really closed up shop in a very mature and effective way. They seemed to open up a little too much in the second period, and that's the danger for this team if they get out too far over their skis. But the fact that they recognized it, adjusted, persevered, and earned another early W is a very good reflection not only on the players, but also on the coaches.

I'll explore the current situation behind the bench in the next installation of The Quest so stay tuned ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
            Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in with the obligatory "Well, it's a down year for the conference after all, someone had to step into the vacuum" etc..
            Down year, up year, you play who is on the schedule. So far it looks good for UHN. Wish I could say the same for UMaine, unfortunately I saw them play UConn twice.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Loving the fact that my 'better to be safe than sorry' predictions are wrong once again. But would somebody straighten out that music issue?!? 😂🙀

Ps Snively am working on my goalie term....think I just about have it down. 😉
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 10-15-2017, 10:09 AM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Bobby Butler and TyK connecting for the Ads:

https://admiralsroundtable.com/2017/...3-in-rockford/

Comment

Maas gets props:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...24/1003/sports
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Figured to be 2-2 at this point....4-0 is still 4-0. A lot of odd scores this early in the season for sure. Should make for an exciting season I hope.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      Mark my words, it's only a matter of time before someone chimes in with the obligatory "Well, it's a down year for the conference after all, someone had to step into the vacuum" etc.

Random thoughts and musings after my first trip of the season to Lake Whitt:

* It's been over 20 years now, and the grounds around The Whitt have matured nicely. I still can't help but think they can do something more imaginative than the bare bones ivy stuff on the main exterior concrete wall facing Main St. Still atop my wish list is improved access from the A Lot over/under the right of way to the arena. I'm 90% certain I wouldn't have missed the opening goal last night if I wasn't forced to add a quarter mile walk, plus the up and down from the summit of Mount Overpass. Which brings me to the following ...

* Revolutionary, fan-friendly (albeit expensive) solution to this and many other issues would be to temporarily move the field hockey pitch for a year or two, install a multi-level underground parking garage on the site, which would be available not only for sporting events on both sides of the street, but also for additional student parking needs, commuter parking with easy access to the adjacent Downeaster station, and eliminate my constant whining about the over-and-back to the A Lot. Then you top it off with the return of the field hockey pitch. And you'd also have a legitimate basis to charge ALL of the aforementioned users for the privilege of warm underground parking between November thru March. Not to mention what a nice perk that might be to offer it for reduced rates to STH's. Perhaps you could even have direct access from the underground garage into the arena lobby (allowing the rec facility's users to be paying users as well), the train station at the other end ... or even with a more lengthy tie-in to the new stadium across the street? With pretty much all of the rest of the field complex having been built out in recent years, this could be the crowning jewel to put a bow on it all. Oh yeah, and just one more reason to bring the hoops teams back over into The Whitt, and allow BS35+5 to finish up the other side of his stadium. Y'know, being a visionary is tough work, but someone's gotta do it around here ...

* The beer thing is definitely working in the arena. For the first time in a lot of years, there seemed to be more noise in the building last night, and I'm not talking about the stupid pre-programmed crap coming out of the PA, or the pedestrian as always pep band. More chatter and more interaction with the on-ice play ... or maybe that's just the improved quality of play, and the recent outbreak of winning hockey. Remains to be seen, but the lights are a little brighter too - no doubt courtesy of the "Thomas Alva Edison 2017 Man of the Year Award" recipient, a/k/a Coach Umile's soon-to-be-former boss;

* Oh yeah, the on-the-ice stuff ... sorry to digress. Anyway, Tirone looks good so far, and certainly hasn't provided any fodder for the "he wanders/scrambles too much" crowd yet. I sat near a bunch of kids who seemed to know Robinson and they seemed to be resigned to the fact that their pal was not expecting to get into much action this year, but they seem to think he is Plan B (not Clark) if something does go wrong. FWIW last night, Tirone did get lucky a few times; as another poster mentioned there were a couple of open net chances missed, and a couple of clangers that otherwise beat him, too. I thought he could have done better on the first goal, but the last two were just down to poor defending. There were a few too many close calls, which brings me to the next point ...

* The defense was pretty soft in front of the cage, and Colgate was able to get traffic in front of Tirone fairly easily, while not getting moved out. There were several screens and deflections that seemed to miss by inches, which on another night could make for an ugly evening. The potentially scary thing to me was, I didn't think Colgate's forwards were that huge. In fact, I thought they were faster and more mobile, and there were several times that they made Wyse (not his best one) and the 3rd pairing (which scares the bejeezus out of me BTW) look like proverbial traffic cones. Glidon looks like a future Hockey East first team talent (if he stays around long enough, hopefully to play with his younger bro) but even he seemed to struggle with the physical side of things. Maass made a very good first impression, while Glidon commands the game. Surprised but not shocked to see Dawson relegated to 4th line forward last night, reprising the role of Tim Horst from back in the glory days. When you choose your 7th/8th best defenseman as your captain, this is what happens;

* It looks like the McNicholas/Salvaggio/Kelleher line is back to its old tricks. Good to see Vela back in action, playing well, he was missed for long stretches last season ... and Eiserman seems to be this year's probable recipient of the Austin Block/Casey Thrush senior breakout scoring honors winner. Nice finish in traffic for a huge goal late in the second period to re-establish the two goal lead, went off for a bit, but was back in action in the third. Can't say anything about the BvR goal but heard it was nice. Salvaggio's first that rang off the top corner and in, highlighted how UNH was fortunate to get some of the breaks, but winners make the most of their breaks, and losers whine "What if?" on their close calls. Eric MacAdam is going to be a player I really like going forwards, and I thought Fregona worked hard at both ends last night.

* I think the part that made me happiest about last night's game is that UNH never trailed, and once they took the lead, they never gave it up. Especially after Colgate scored about midway through the 3rd period, it seemed UNH really closed up shop in a very mature and effective way. They seemed to open up a little too much in the second period, and that's the danger for this team if they get out too far over their skis. But the fact that they recognized it, adjusted, persevered, and earned another early W is a very good reflection not only on the players, but also on the coaches.

I'll explore the current situation behind the bench in the next installation of The Quest so stay tuned ...
                      A multi-level underground parking garage? Those beers must have gone to your head Chuck. Saturday night there were plenty of spaces in the old New England Center lot and dozens more in the Alumni Center lot which is reserved for ”preferred customers” whoever they are. If UNH is going to spend money, it should be on academics not a garage, above or below ground, that would be an instant white elephant.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                        A multi-level underground parking garage? Those beers must have gone to your head Chuck. Saturday night there were plenty of spaces in the old New England Center lot and dozens more in the Alumni Center lot which is reserved for ”preferred customers” whoever they are. If UNH is going to spend money, it should be on academics not a garage, above or below ground, that would be an instant white elephant.
                        Maybe ... maybe not. There are a lot of potential uses, and not all have to do with the arena or stadium. Putting it underground would make it immediately attractive to well-paid faculty and administration, and if you built another facility to lease to start-ups or other companies tied in tightly to the University, the synergy there could be incredible. Of course, we can just keep shipping those jobs over to Pease too. Commuter use with the Downeaster was already mentioned.

How much did the U just spend on the stadium, which gets used for revenue, what, 10 times tops (Football and NHIAA)? Include the scoreboard (which you and others harpooned) in that cost. Compare that to a garage that you could use daily for at least six months a year, probably beyond that while school is in session, and if the other public/private stuff (plus commuter) use takes off, then it's a year-round facility?

I'm not expecting it to happen anytime soon, or even in our lifetimes, Greg. But it seems like the folks in Durham are thinking big these days, and I see this as something that could work on a lot of fronts. Regardless, thanks for addressing it, I was disappointed everyone else took a pass (or thought I was drunk).
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

'Cats inch up 3 more in the poll!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                            Maybe ... maybe not. There are a lot of potential uses, and not all have to do with the arena or stadium. Putting it underground would make it immediately attractive to well-paid faculty and administration, and if you built another facility to lease to start-ups or other companies tied in tightly to the University, the synergy there could be incredible. Of course, we can just keep shipping those jobs over to Pease too. Commuter use with the Downeaster was already mentioned.

How much did the U just spend on the stadium, which gets used for revenue, what, 10 times tops (Football and NHIAA)? Include the scoreboard (which you and others harpooned) in that cost. Compare that to a garage that you could use daily for at least six months a year, probably beyond that while school is in session, and if the other public/private stuff (plus commuter) use takes off, then it's a year-round facility?

I'm not expecting it to happen anytime soon, or even in our lifetimes, Greg. But it seems like the folks in Durham are thinking big these days, and I see this as something that could work on a lot of fronts. Regardless, thanks for addressing it, I was disappointed everyone else took a pass (or thought I was drunk).
                            And, while our State U is building an underground parking garage (4 or 5 levels?, maybe tie in some shallow geothermal heating?), they can also build a hotel (to replace the lost New England Center) to straddle the tracks next to the Dairy Bar, similar to the plans for a new hotel near the summit of Mt Washington, which also would need to straddle the Cog RR tracks because of the 75-ft right-away. Think big, BS35+5!

http://www.newhampshire.com/business...ngton-20161201

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                              Maybe ... maybe not. There are a lot of potential uses, and not all have to do with the arena or stadium. Putting it underground would make it immediately attractive to well-paid faculty and administration, and if you built another facility to lease to start-ups or other companies tied in tightly to the University, the synergy there could be incredible. Of course, we can just keep shipping those jobs over to Pease too. Commuter use with the Downeaster was already mentioned

Two points. One, the phrase “well paid faculty” appears to be an oxymoron these days. I’d venture to guess that a majority of undergrad courses are taught by adjuncts these days. As for the scoreboard, I unleashed my harpoon because of the method which was used to fund it. And the disingenuous rationale used in justifying said method. Bad look for the University.

Comment

4-0-0 with another offensively challenged (last night's six spot against Anchorage not withstanding) and defensively vulnerable team coming to the Whitt. This is why you schedule the cup cakes. They lost these games last year, but they're winning them this year and before you know it your 6-0-0, and regardless of who you played, believing you're a 6-0-0 kind of team. Confidence is a real factor and IF they pull of 6-0-0 that could really have an impact on future results against tougher opponents in HE...

CC is poor defensively - especially after the departure of Kvilhame (who could really move the puck) and below average offensively. They're really a one-line team and it's an average line at that. Trey Bradley (son of former NHLer Brian Bradley) already has five assists and he's the one who makes them go. Take away his space and they'll struggle to create chances. The goalie Leclerc is very good and can keep them in games.

It should be a 6-0-0 start heading up to Vermont...
                                The bolded statement is similar those that we have heard back here lately from all of the local sports talking heads, like the Bosox are going to win the World Series, the Patriots are going to go 19-0, the Celtics are finally going to beat the Cavs in the NBA East Playoffs, and the Bruins will improve upon last year's first appearance in the NHL playoffs in a long time.

I would not write off CC just yet, as they did beat UVM 4-3 back here two weekends ago. And, with their sweep in Anchorage last weekend, that is a lot of flying, with over 4000 miles round trip three weekends in a row; yikes!

And speaking of Alaska Anchorage, I got wondering how Josh Ciocco is doing. Apparently, the GoFundMe effort topped the $15k goal, and from some recent comments suggest that he is home from the hospital, preparing for further surgery (?), and his leg should be saved. Does anyone have further info?

https://www.gofundme.com/joshciocco

Comment

Working...
                                X