This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
    Didn't he score the winning goal 40 seconds into OT in the 1977 East Regional semi-finals in that wild 10-9 win over Cornell at the Garden? (I should know this because I was there, but I seem to always confuse him with someone else).

As an aside to anyone who left after that game, the second game was almost as good. BU scored three in the last five minutes to beat Dave Taylor's Clarkson team, 6-5 in the other semi. And we all know who won the final the next night...

(was it "unfair" for me to answer because I'm not a young'un?) It doesn't matter anyway, because anyone can just look it up on the internet now...
    Yes, it was unfair for you answer, chickod. Chuck's whole point is to get newbies and young-uns to look up stuff, and you spoiled that. Shame on you!

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      Yes, it was unfair for you answer, chickod. Chuck's whole point is to get newbies and young-uns to look up stuff, and you spoiled that. Shame on you!
      It wouldn't call it the correct answer. Perhaps partial credit.

Lighten up, Francis
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Pop Quiz!

How many more saves does Danny T need to overtake Kevin Regan's saves during his career???
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Scored 20 goals in 3 seasons, pretty fair and reliable 3rd line forward at that level. Not all that unlike what JvR has turned into, actually. Of course, the old-timers on this thread (myself included) will always have a soft spot for BG in our hearts for a terrific UNH moment that still lives to this day.
          Good grief! Did you say soft-spot or blind spot? Bobby Gould was a great player, who had a great moment, at UNH and had a nice NHL career. JVR is on another level, has had a FAR more successful professional career and calling him a third liner indicates a clear agenda. There's a big difference between not a HOF and the scrubby bust you're constantly trying to turn him into. Lots of top picks don't end up in the HOF and still turn in well above average careers...

JVR has already scored 29 more NHL goals than Gould in 151 fewer games played (in a era of much lower scoring games) and has been a top-six forward since walking into the league at 20 years old.

JVRs biggest issue has been health and missed games. Yet, he ranks sixth in his draft class in goals scored, despite ranking only tenth in games played. He has had three seasons cut in half due to injury, missing 117 games as a result. Based on his pace in each season, those injuries cost him 38 more goals and 76 more points. 38 more goals would put him fourth in his draft class with 212. Is he a bust at pick #2 because Benn (from out of nowhere) and Paccioretty have surpassed his production? Not in any objective reality...

Without injuries he would currently be on pace for his 7TH 20+ goal season and third 30+ goal campaign (compared to Gould's 3 and 0) in nine seasons. This season he is on pace for 41 goals...

Yes, injuries happen - But raw and extrapolated numbers confirm that JVR is (by far) the most prolific NHL goal and point scorer in UNH history, both in total and in GPG. Bobby Gould is not close even now, let alone when JVRs career is done. With good health, he will surpass the career length of all the others in due time. He has also been 'elite' enough to represent the US in the Olympic Games...

It's sad that so many hold ill feelings towards JVR because they think he owed them more production while at UNH and made it look easy and effortless while playing there (Note - that's what dominant players naturally do! See Gildon. See Poturalski. See all the other players you hate). If JVR stays four years at UNH he is the team's fourth all-time 200 point career scorer (and potentially its second Hobey Baker winner).

As is, he scored 74 points in two seasons as an 18/19 year old. Only three other UNH forwards have scored as many points in their first two seasons, since 1999, and that would be Haydar (102), Collins (75) and (brace yourself Chuck!) Poturalski (81). Haydar had the benefit of playing with a SR Krog during his FR season. Collins played with SR Haydar in his first year. Poturalski was a 20 year old FR. JVR was the leader of his line both years (primarily Pollostrone and Dries as a FR and Sislo, Leblanc as a SO, if I recall correctly). Not enough?!
          Last edited by Dan; 11-14-2017, 02:01 PM.
          Live Free or Die!!
          Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I’m sorry. Is that a major or a minor? (Am I banned for two weeks or five?).

Comment

• Originally posted by chickod View Post
              I’m sorry. Is that a major or a minor? (Am I banned for two weeks or five?).
              Just a two-minute minor for interference, but the zebras will be watching you closely. :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                Pop Quiz!

How many more saves does Danny T need to overtake Kevin Regan's saves during his career???
                Six? Pretty amazing, but he has not had great D in front of him, so has seen (or not seen) a lot of shots, even if just a little more than 2.5 years.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                  Six? Pretty amazing, but he has not had great D in front of him, so has seen (or not seen) a lot of shots, even if just a little more than 2.5 years.
                  Even a greater feat considering the D then...or am I not understanding your point...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                    Actually, while conventional wisdom is that Tirone has faced far more rubber than most UNH goalies, he has made saves at almost the exact same rate as Regan. Remember, Regan split time with Pietrasiak his first two seasons and also conceded nearly 20% of the playing time to Brian Foster as an upper-classman...

Saves/60 Minutes
                    Regan - 29.41
                    Tirone - 29.39

Tirone has 495.67 minutes until he catches Regan for minutes played - that is essentially 8.25 sixty-minute games. He has to average 29.7 saves over those 8.25 games to match Regan's pace to 3,235. Tirone has 102 appearances to Regan's 112 and needs to average 24.5 saves over his next ten games to match Regan in saves/games played...
                    Last edited by Dan; 11-14-2017, 04:51 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Are the mods deleting posts these days? I’ve seen two very accurate and funny posts from Dan and e.cat magically disappear after being posted, just in the last two weeks. “Sad”
                      Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Even a greater feat considering the D then...or am I not understanding your point...
                        My point was that Regan probably had better D men overall in front him than Tirone.

2004/05: Yandle, Teplitsky, Barker, Switzer, Flaishans, Murray
                        2005/06: Yandle, Switzer, Flaishans, Murray, Fritsch, Charlebois
                        2006/07: Switzer, Flaishans, Murray, Fritsch, Charlesbois, Kapsted
                        2007/08: Switzer, Flaishans, Fritsch, Charlebois, Kapsted, Krates
                        Last edited by Snively65; 11-14-2017, 09:53 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                          Are the mods deleting posts these days? I’ve seen two very accurate and funny posts from Dan and e.cat magically disappear after being posted, just in the last two weeks. “Sad”
                          My post mysteriously disappeared somewhere in cyberspace and I saw that post by Dan you refer to also that disappeared.

Just to recap, Chuck's reference to JVR as a "third liner" is beyond rediculous. Chuck is always glass half empty. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Thanks for pointing that out DC.
                          Last edited by e.cat; 11-14-2017, 09:04 PM.
                          UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                            My post mysteriously disappeared somewhere in cyberspace and I saw that post by Dan you refer to also that disappeared.

Just to recap, Chuck's reference to JVR as a "third liner" is beyond rediculous. Chuck is always glass half empty. The gift that keeps on giving!!

Thanks for pointing that out DC.
                            Will you grace our presence at the 'Whitt this Friday?

Comment

• Originally posted by wildcatdc View Post
                              I took mine down - if you recall I waded into that conversation hesitantly and, ultimately, it was one I didn't want/need to have...
                              Live Free or Die!!
                              Miami University '03

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                                Will you grace our presence at the 'Whitt this Friday?
                                I'll be there
                                UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Working...
                                X