Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    I am somewhat surprised that we did not hear from 1932 immediately following our 5-0-0 start.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!
    Say what you will about 1932, but he strikes me as anything but a bandwagon-jumping, fair-weather fan.

He seems to surface more often than not when things start to slide, and many of us go negative on the program.

If the next 3 games go like the last 3 games, he may be surfacing in early December to try to get us back on board.

Hope all of you enjoyed a terrific Thanksgiving holiday with friends and family yesterday.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
      Say what you will about 1932, but he strikes me as anything but a bandwagon-jumping, fair-weather fan.

He seems to surface more often than not when things start to slide, and many of us go negative on the program.

If the next 3 games go like the last 3 games, he may be surfacing in early December to try to get us back on board.

Hope all of you enjoyed a terrific Thanksgiving holiday with friends and family yesterday.
      Didn't '32 predict that Coach Umile would reach the NRN in December?

12 of the next 15 against teams with losing records.

Perhaps he is just waiting to say "I told you so..."
      UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

It's been awhile since the last installment, and it's fair to say that since those heady days of 6-1-1, some of the bloom has fallen off the rose in the aftermath of three successive losses. With a chance to solidify their former "Champions of December" lineage one more time for the departing head coach, your 'Cats gacked up a series of hairballs against their first extended stretch of top-level competitors. Not terribly surprising, but now that we're midway through the early-season "gauntlet" without a W, your friends at WIS step back and take inventory in this latest "They Probably Are Just What We Thought They Were", stuck-in-neutral edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The March to 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 592
        Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 8
        Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 25
        Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 32.0%
        WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 80%
        2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 4/6 (66.7%)

Sure, the last couple of weekends involved games against the teams who in recent seasons have been playing the big games Coach Umile's program used to compete in somewhat regularly back on both sides of the turn of the century. But when UNH were the perennial "Champs of December" in those halcyon days of yore, knocking off even the top competitors before the turn of the calendar was not s surprise, as much as it was an expectation. So it was while channeling those good ol' days that WIS predicted two W's and a T for a stretch that turned as barren as the Isles of Shoals in mid-winter. "But they were close games with UML and BC" ... "UNH is working through some injuries" ... nope, if that's what you're selling, WIS is not buying. The vast chasm in class between an overachieving UNH squad playing on its home ice and an underachieving BC squad was there for all to see. Maybe the beatdown at BU should have been obvious a mile away? But I really did think the team's early-season momentum would net them at least one W in the gauntlet before Thanksgiving. But as many folks were saying ... this stretch would provide us some insight into what the true level of this year's UNH squad might be. And if so (and I do agree with the premise), then this is an at-best, middle of the pack HE team that will need to overachieve (again) to get the boss to the Gahden at the tail end of his long-awaited farewell tour.

Looking at the big picture ... WIS' panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. UNH had made it up to nosebleed territory at #9 in the polls at 6-1-1, but have now fallen to #13 at their current 6-4-1 record, which still feels to be an artificially high slot (22nd in PWR and 23rd in RPI feel way more representative). The 'Cats are probably now only one game ahead of WIS projections after this current three game losing streak, and while I said last time around that "it's frankly hard to see UNH going through even this challenging-looking stretch of games without adding to the W column" as "famous last words maybe", I'm going to say the same thing as we look ahead to these next three games. Yale (3-5-0) is a team that's already lost to Brown, Dartmouth and Princeton, so a much needed W is there for the taking, while the Providence series usually nets UNH a result, and with those guys just coming back from the Fraudship Four event, I think "Peaches" has once again done UNH a solid. Let's just say that at least one W in these next 3 games keeps this a March, but another three games without a W and we're back to a Quest. WIS predicts ...

Predictions:

Saturday: UNH 4 @ Yale 1
        Next Friday: UNH 2 @ Providence 2
        Next Saturday: Providence 5 @ UNH 2

NEXT CUPCAKE ON THE SHELF: 12/6/17 @ RPI

WIS INITIATIVE - "WATCH THE FACTS" - COMING SOON!!

WIS operatives have been out and about in the world of college hockey, in search of the truth amidst false narratives and hidden agendas at the highest levels, on and off the ice. The first target of our Watch The Facts hit squad will be the monolith along the shores of scenic Lake Quannapowitt, where the forces of political correctness have taken ahold. Watch this space for the incredible disclosures as they unfold.

GO UNH - GOT TO GET THE GOODBYE TOUR TO THE GAHDEN!!!

Comment

"UNH Captain's Corner: Reviewing the First Third of the 2017-18 Season"
          Includes interview with UNH captain Dylan Chanter,
          The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
            "UNH Captain's Corner: Reviewing the First Third of the 2017-18 Season"
            Includes interview with UNH captain Dylan Chanter,
            Thanks for the comprehensive stats! Just gotta put more pucks in the net...Go 'Cats!!
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

So anyway ... to those of you heading down to Yale for tomorrow night's game, I ask you to observe the environs both on and off the Yale campus in New Haven CT. Considering the recent discussion surrounding the President's tax plan, and the associated proposal to tax the endowments of certain affluent colleges (I believe the cut-off figure is something like $250,000+ per student; suffice to say this does not apply to 95+% of all colleges), and the humorously embarrassing responses from several of those institutions, which basically has them signing onto the trickle-down theories of how their endowments indirectly enrich the communities they are located in, that ironically those of their ilk have traditionally ridiculed in the past ... I ask you a simple question:

How does such a well-funded, reputable institution like Yale end up surrounded by such abject poverty and misery?

I haven't spent too much time in or around the Penn campus, but I'm pretty familiar with the rest, and only Brown/Providence even comes (remotely) close to the Yale/New Haven juxtaposition.

Answers on a postcard to WIS' Effingwoods P.O. box for inclusion in our next installment. Consider it homework.

Comment

So anyway ... to those of you heading down to Yale for tomorrow night's game, I ask you to observe the environs both on and off the Yale campus in New Haven CT. Considering the recent discussion surrounding the President's tax plan, and the associated proposal to tax the endowments of certain affluent colleges (I believe the cut-off figure is something like $250,000+ per student; suffice to say this does not apply to 95+% of all colleges), and the humorously embarrassing responses from several of those institutions, which basically has them signing onto the trickle-down theories of how their endowments indirectly enrich the communities they are located in, that ironically those of their ilk have traditionally ridiculed in the past ... I ask you a simple question:

How does such a well-funded, reputable institution like Yale end up surrounded by such abject poverty and misery?

I haven't spent too much time in or around the Penn campus, but I'm pretty familiar with the rest, and only Brown/Providence even comes (remotely) close to the Yale/New Haven juxtaposition.

Answers on a postcard to WIS' Effingwoods P.O. box for inclusion in our next installment. Consider it homework.
                You should probably leave your assignments to the political part of this message board. Working and living in the New Haven area and within the surrounding community which you cite, I beg to differ on your broad brush statement. As with any mid size city in the northeast there is going to be poverty and crime. No different than Troy, Bostonor Providence. You obviously only look at the neighborhood to the west of campus as the eastern and northern residential areas are pretty well to do. The southern border of campus is mostly commercial. I work closely with the residents that surround the campus in what is considered the "bad" part of the city and while there is some misery , most of those folks are just trying to get by, and working hard to do so. The difference between the haves and have not's is certainly real, but Yale has made great strides to improve New Haven and without Yale, New Haven would be a much less desirable community. Keep your opinions up in the pine trees, New Haven is just fine to me.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Interesting to read that former UNH Coach Jim Tortorella's St. Anselm Hawks have the nations longest win streak going at 23 in college hockey (D1 and D2j) . Also the Union Leader columnist Alex Hall will feature a college hockey column (in state) and the 'Cats got the first nod:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...form=hootsuite
                  Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Interesting to read that former UNH Coach Jim Tortorella's St. Anselm Hawks have the nations longest win streak going at 23 in college hockey (D1 and D2j) . Also the Union Leader columnist Alex Hall will feature a college hockey column (in state) and the 'Cats got the first nod:

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...form=hootsuite
                    Sad that their Admin does not want to go Div 1.

Meanwhile, enjoy game tonight, everyone. Vlae a cupcake that should help right the ship.

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                      Sad that their Admin does not want to go Div 1.

Meanwhile, enjoy game tonight, everyone. Vlae a cupcake that should help right the ship.
                      Want to see both them and PSU play...and hope the trip down to New Haven is worthwhile....Go 'Cats!!
                      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                        You should probably leave your assignments to the political part of this message board. Working and living in the New Haven area and within the surrounding community which you cite, I beg to differ on your broad brush statement. As with any mid size city in the northeast there is going to be poverty and crime. No different than Troy, Boston or Providence. You obviously only look at the neighborhood to the west of campus as the eastern and northern residential areas are pretty well to do. The southern border of campus is mostly commercial. I work closely with the residents that surround the campus in what is considered the "bad" part of the city and while there is some misery , most of those folks are just trying to get by, and working hard to do so. The difference between the haves and have not's is certainly real, but Yale has made great strides to improve New Haven and without Yale, New Haven would be a much less desirable community. Keep your opinions up in the pine trees, New Haven is just fine to me.
                        Comparing New Haven to Boston, or even Providence? Troy (RPI) or Schenectady (Union), I can see. New Haven has been stuck in neutral (and that's being kind IMO) for so long, it's really embarrassing. Especially considering the long list of Rust Belt cities who have managed to emerge from the erosion of the manufacturing base over the last several decades - none of which BTW have the "advantage" of having a world-class Ivy institution fully within its borders. Even the two Albany "suburbs" mentioned above, their schools have a fraction of Yale's endowment, which only makes New Haven's problems more puzzling.

There are some very nice communities surrounding Bridgeport too ... but it doesn't stop Bridgeport from being an abject dump. Ditto New Haven. I guess sometimes it's hard to see the forest for all those trees, eh?

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          You should probably leave your assignments to the political part of this message board. Working and living in the New Haven area and within the surrounding community which you cite, I beg to differ on your broad brush statement. As with any mid size city in the northeast there is going to be poverty and crime. No different than Troy, Bostonor Providence. You obviously only look at the neighborhood to the west of campus as the eastern and northern residential areas are pretty well to do. The southern border of campus is mostly commercial. I work closely with the residents that surround the campus in what is considered the "bad" part of the city and while there is some misery , most of those folks are just trying to get by, and working hard to do so. The difference between the haves and have not's is certainly real, but Yale has made great strides to improve New Haven and without Yale, New Haven would be a much less desirable community. Keep your opinions up in the pine trees, New Haven is just fine to me.
                          Ask Chuck about the Effingwoods environs and the serfs who labor, bound under the feudal system, on the lords' estates.
                          I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

First time back to Yale U since I played on the (then) PSC lax team in the historic Yale Bowl. We were the first women's team to play any organized sport there for the New England Div 2 Lacrosse title 1978 defeating Springfield College. Go 'Cats beat those Bulldawgs!!!
                            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-25-2017, 03:17 PM.
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Comparing New Haven to Boston, or even Providence? Troy (RPI) or Schenectady (Union), I can see. New Haven has been stuck in neutral (and that's being kind IMO) for so long, it's really embarrassing. Especially considering the long list of Rust Belt cities who have managed to emerge from the erosion of the manufacturing base over the last several decades - none of which BTW have the "advantage" of having a world-class Ivy institution fully within its borders. Even the two Albany "suburbs" mentioned above, their schools have a fraction of Yale's endowment, which only makes New Haven's problems more puzzling.

There are some very nice communities surrounding Bridgeport too ... but it doesn't stop Bridgeport from being an abject dump. Ditto New Haven. I guess sometimes it's hard to see the forest for all those trees, eh?
                              Chuck, It's pretty obvious that you don't spend much time here. If you had seen New Haven in the seventies you would know what I am talking about. That blue banner from 2013 still shines a rosy glow throughout the city, warming all hearts and minds.
                              YALE HOCKEY
                              2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Ask Chuck about the Effingwoods environs and the serfs who labor, bound under the feudal system, on the lords' estates.
                                I'm pretty sure the current Yale endowment exceeds the combined annual state budgets of CT and NH.

https://news.yale.edu/2017/10/10/inv...ue-272-billion

Hey, if he's happy living in what's left of New Haven, more power to him. Ignorance is bliss. The idea that Yale is boosting the community outside the borders of its campus is frankly laughable.

As you folks know, I'm hardly a fan of our dear BS35+5, but in sharing some of UNH's facilities with the Town of Durham and State of NH, he arguably does more for the State of NH than Yale does for New Haven proper.

It's too bad, you can tell New Haven used to actually be something. But most Yalies leave the place never to return, except every five or so years for class reunions. I'm not saying New Haven should be New York or Boston, but it should at least be Providence, or even Worcester. And it isn't. Which is a shame, but if the Yalies don't care, why should we, I suppose ...

http://manhattancontrarian.com/blog/...en-connecticut

... so I'm hoping UNH hangs a big ugly number on the home team tonight.

Comment

Working...
                                X