Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Our esteemed AD appears to be the best thing to happen to light bulbs since Edison and Westinghouse.
    See, Chuck, this way, we don't miss a thing...
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
      As if...sorry, I'm not that savvy about UNH hockey lore! But I promise I'll learn....
      Whoop was a great guy. He coached the UNH swim teams, besides being pool lifeguard along with other duties in the Athletic Dept, and during the summer he taught thousands of Durham kids how to swim at the outdoor pool. He lived in the big white house on the NE corner of Edgewood and Davis Roads, just up the street from the pool and ice rinks.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
        Whoop was a great guy. He coached the UNH swim teams, besides being pool lifeguard along with other duties in the Athletic Dept, and during the summer he taught thousands of Durham kids how to swim at the outdoor pool. He lived in the big white house on the NE corner of Edgewood and Davis Roads, just up the street from the pool and ice rinks.
        They don't make 'em like they used to that's for sure!!! Sounds like a great person; love the swim gig being a former life guard!
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Wow, just two weeks away from the start of the season, and we're already down on the second page ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Average USCHO poster ranking from the HE Pre-Season thread - 10.45th Place (9 votes)...
            Live Free or Die!!
            Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
              Average USCHO poster ranking from the HE Pre-Season thread - 10.45th Place (9 votes)...
              At least we are not solely in 11.00th place. According to the HE Pre-Season thread pundits, we have almost a 50/50 chance for 10th place!.

But, would not five out of nine 11th place votes put us at 10.55th Place?
              Last edited by Snively65; 09-21-2017, 11:32 AM.

Comment

At least we are not solely in 11.00th place. According to the HE Pre-Season thread pundits, we have almost a 50/50 chance for 10th place!.

But, would not five out of nine 11th place votes put us at 10.55th Place?
                Someone is bullish on the Cats this year and voted them 9th...
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

LOL...Sad part is 10th place is probably going to be the best finish for the next few seasons given the current state of affairs.

Comment

Hmmm, I do not see any 9th place votes for our Cats, but rather five for 11th and three for 10th (I miscounted earlier, I guess). However, two folks voted Maine 9th, and one 7th(!), to go along with two votes for 11th. So, I suppose that would complicate numerical rankings of the other HE bottom feeders.

But, more important, Whistling Dick, as he is called on the thread, did not get any yes votes for reaching 600 W's (six of eight wrote no, nope, 599, or "do two ties count as a win?"), despite the original poster noting that he needs only 13 W's to get there.
                    Last edited by Snively65; 09-21-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

Please hold the pessimist attitude for March.

The good news is we have 3 outstanding lines that can play with anyone we will face and a very good fourth line as well. Our top 4 defensemen are as good as all but a few teams in the eastern US. Our goalie will see less shots than the past 2 years and will revert to his freshmen year numbers.

Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5 + years. We have a talented team, a very good coach, and student athletes that will give their heart and souls to our alma mater or favorite hockey team.

Please save the nay-saying until February or March. Look at our roster and any sane person would say we have a lot of talent and we will be competitive with anyone this year.

I will see the true fans on Oct 1 and at Lowell on Oct 6. Let's hope for a 20+ win season as we have senior scoring and all lines have top notch assist men feeding the scorers.

Enjoy the season haters and true fans and I hope our team plays up to their potential.

Comment

Originally posted by UNH1932 View Post
                        Please hold the pessimist attitude for March.
                        By your rules, when in March are we allowed to assess reality? I understood before we were to wait until they start playing, ie. in two weeks. Now we have to hold off until March?

The good news is we have 3 outstanding lines that can play with anyone we will face and a very good fourth line as well. Our top 4 defensemen are as good as all but a few teams in the eastern US. Our goalie will see less shots than the past 2 years and will revert to his freshmen year numbers.

I think quoting hockey fans' perception, from all other teams, is pretty neutral way of presenting facts. Your perspective may be a little out of line, though possible.

Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5 + years. We have a talented team, a very good coach, and student athletes that will give their heart and souls to our alma mater or favorite hockey team.
                        Maybe because the team has gone down the drain from top 4 in HE to 10th? And most of the impact recruits (Farabee, Ryczek, Commesso) jumped ship, suggesting that even those who were receptive to the team have lost faith in the direction of the program?

Please save the nay-saying until February or March.
                        So now we can say something in Feburary? Late in February, or even the first part?

Look at our roster and any sane person would say we have a lot of talent and we will be competitive with anyone this year.
                        So, all of USCHO.com forum is insane. Let's see in a week how sane the HE coaches are.

I will see the true fans on Oct 1 and at Lowell on Oct 6.
                        Must be hard being the arbiter of true fans. Please circulate the guidelines so we can all try harder.

Enjoy the season haters
                        Haters root for failure. Lovers try to achieve change that prevents failure. The fact that you can't see the difference suggests you're a bit too close to those who might be viewed as contributing to that failure, and the conclusion that their continued presence in the process is not positive.
                        Last edited by NCAA watcher; 09-21-2017, 01:59 PM.
                        The Souza record:
                        15-16 10th place
                        16-17 10th place
                        17-18 11th place
                        18-19 8th place
                        19-20 9th place
                        20-21 10th place
                        21-22 9th place
                        22-23 10th place

Comment

Hmmm, I do not see any 9th place votes for our Cats, but rather five for 11th and three for 10th (I miscounted earlier, I guess). However, two folks voted Maine 9th, and one 7th(!), to go along with two votes for 11th. So, I suppose that would complicate numerical rankings of the other HE bottom feeders.

But, more important, Whistling Dick, as he is called on the thread, did not get any yes votes for reaching 600 W's (six of eight wrote no, nope, 599, or "do two ties count as a win?"), despite the original poster noting that he needs only 13 W's to get there.
                          Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

"Why the constant drum of the same crap for the past 5+ years..."

11-12: 15-19-3 / 6th Place HE / No Tournament
                          12-13: 20-12-7 / 4th Place HE / TOURNAMENT
                          13-14: 22-18-1 / 4th Place HE / No Tournament
                          14-15: 19-19-2 / 8th Place HE / No Tournament
                          15-16: 11-20-6 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament
                          16-17: 15-20-5 / 10th Place HE / No Tournament

FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...
                          Last edited by Dan; 09-21-2017, 02:49 PM.
                          Live Free or Die!!
                          Miami University '03

Comment

[QUOTE=Dan;6527464]Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

While I think counting on two true-freshmen defensemen to carry the team this season seems like an easy way to be disappointed, I do echo 1932's other sentiment.

FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...[/QUOTE]

Which I think, for any of the fans who have left the program (for now at least?) is the main reason. Dan, you echo the "we lose because we have no facilities, can't compete with the Boston teams" excuse on many occasions that you say the 'true fan' espouses. (If I have that right) Can I ask you honestly where you get that from? The powers that be? The coaches? No seriously...and, please know I respect your recruiting knowledge and am not trying to debating anything. I just don't hear that among the fans I see game in, game out. Maybe I listen to the wrong people. Mostly I hang with other pragmatic fans and we have our own ideas about why the 'Cats have ended up 10th as you pointed out, but, facilities and location aren't one of them....Anyone who IS saying that surely doesn't get it.

Going back to 'true fans' and I think most 'true fans' who understand the game beyond the ice have a pretty good handle on why UNH hockey has hit a skid and are hopeful for a turn around, but offer no excuses like those. Anyway, 'hope springs eternal' as they say! Personally I could care less where others put the 'Cats in polls on this forum, and in the HE coaches poll likely to come out shortly (like my season tix????). I have a good sense of what we have and how we can compete. Am fully aware of what we have lost but I also see some great things still to come. Catch up to me in February....

In the meantime, looking forward to hitting that ancient, antiquated building we call Lake Whittemore very soon! Go 'Cats!
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                              Looking again, Ma#1ne Hky had UNH 8th (his format confused me. That means UNH's average in the HE Thread was 10.33! 1932's first-place vote lifts UNH up to an average of 9.4!

FYI, That adds up to a .487 winning-percentage, no titles and one NCAA Tournament. As opposed to a .626 winning-percentage, 3 RS HE Titles and 6 NCAA Tournaments over the six years prior. That may have something to do with the negativity...
                              Much, much better win percentage the past six years than I realized. Cats only need a 0.4375 win percentage to get their coach to the NRN this season, but I think that 14 wins is extremely unlikely.

Thanks for pointing out MA#1NE HKY's #8 projection for our Cats; I somehow missed that one a couple of times through the thread, which has fallen off page 1. And, I do not see our 1932's #1 ranking for us on there.

Comment

UNH STH's check your email for an update on our tix!!! Turns out the ticket supplier is from FLA and the tix were delayed in printing due to the recent hurricanes. There are options to pick them up...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X