Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by UNH_Puck533 View Post
    I attended my first game at the Whit on Friday (why it took so long, I don't know) and was a bit disappointed in the atmosphere. The student section in the third period was fairly loud and animated (I think it helps that most of the lukewarm fans have dispersed to parties or whatever by then) but the other parts of the building seemed dead.

Fact that it was a mostly dull game didn't help, but I'm open to any and every suggestion that could improve the game day environment. I've undertaken the role of drumming up as much support for the program as possible and I'm basically an unpaid PR firm at this point. I've got some time on my hands and am willing to try anything, so don't hesitate to run some things by me or say hi if you run into me at a game (I'll be wearing the Patrick Kane USA jersey). I have a special hatred in my heart for BC (though the one guy in this thread seems nice) so anything to help pull out a win on Friday.
    When I've gone to sit in other sections, like, in the second period I might go sit in 107 to be closer to the offensive action, I'd say most of the fans there don't engage in the 'sieve' cheer when we score; (except one of our loyal posters who shall remain nameless but he knows who he is ) And that's ok people don't have to I suppose. I think those areas are obviously older fans but even that being said, when the 'Cats do a nice job of attacking, or DT has a stellar save, there's applause so that's a start.

And...the product on the ice on any given night matters alot. For example, last year's BC game was a very engaged crowd due to the nature of the game. Hoping for a good one Friday night. Having travelled to quite a few away games I think we do a decent job, but that's not to say we couldn't improve our 'Whitt environment as an observation.

Anyone attending the Friday night game as a first time observer surely would see that it was a boring game of back and forth, etc. but picked up when we went for the equalizer. Of course it was a low scoring affair so that's part of it. I dunno; I like a rowdy, engaged crowd to be honest...that's how I've always done my 'fan thing' FWIW dept. The days of 'lively Snively' I'm afraid just don't exist, (maybe in North Dakota...)
    Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-13-2017, 07:44 AM.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
      I will take "normally sane and respected poster" any day. Just to repeat, I wrote that "Maybe some day JvR would join him" [Paul Kariya in the HHOF]. I did not write that JvR was as good as Kariya, although with the second longest NHL career for an UNH player thus far, he may have a few more years to make his case. If I am not mistaken, Rod Langway remains the only former UNH player elected to the HHOF (2002).
      There are hundreds, of not thousands of players who deserve induction in the HHOF over JvR.

Other than the fact he was an overall #2 draft choice, JvR has been just above JAG at the NHL level.

You might as well say "hopefully Bobby Schmautz or David Backes will join PK in the HHOF someday".
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by UNH_Puck533 View Post
        I have a special hatred in my heart for BC (though the one guy in this thread seems nice) so anything to help pull out a win on Friday.
        Don't let that one guy fool you. He's a front, meant to distract you from the truth. Welcome aboard!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          The days of 'lively Snively' I'm afraid just don't exist, (maybe in North Dakota...)
          I have posted this clip before...we're never going back to those days, but nostalgia can be a great analgesic! Just look at how wild the crowd is going...nobody is self-conscious and they don't care what anybody thinks of them...they are just letting it all hang out...

Click Here

Comment

• Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
            I will take "normally sane and respected poster" any day. Just to repeat, I wrote that "Maybe some day JvR would join him" [Paul Kariya in the HHOF]. I did not write that JvR was as good as Kariya, although with the second longest NHL career for an UNH player thus far, he may have a few more years to make his case. If I am not mistaken, Rod Langway remains the only former UNH player elected to the HHOF (2002).
            Already second? Who are you calling first? He's second currently playing, but nobody from days of yore played longer?
            Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Just for the record, Hockey db has Langway in the NHL from the '78-'79 season through the "93-'93 season, 15 years. Steve Leach logged in with NHL games starting in the '85-'86 season through the '99-'00 season, 14 years, although Steve was a part timer (injuries mostly) in his latter years. JVR is in his ninth year and, as an fyi, Dave Lumley logged in with eight. Ty Conklin also played parts of eight, a serious backup for four, but was never the lead dog.

Btw, hockeydb.com is the great equalizer. Knowing that I am a big college hockey fan, there have been several times over the years when friends tell me that one guy or another that they either played golf with or got to know professionally would brag that they played hockey at Harvard, or BU, or BC, or UNH. I'd say, I don't recall that but let me look it up. And, most times, I am correct. In fact, there are two very successful high school hockey coaches on the North Shore who have said in the past that they played at UNH when, in fact, they didn't. And there is one, who rarely brings it up, who did.
              Last edited by Greg Ambrose; 11-13-2017, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Today's "Butcher's Bill":

11 in USCHO poll....11 in PairWise....Tied for 3rd in HE. BC has picked up where they left off last season with 12 HE points...would be nice to curtail pace this Friday! Go 'Cats!!
                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by chickod View Post
                  I have posted this clip before...we're never going back to those days, but nostalgia can be a great analgesic! Just look at how wild the crowd is going...nobody is self-conscious and they don't care what anybody thinks of them...they are just letting it all hang out...

Click Here
                  Good memories. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                    Dan, another interesting set of observations. We really did miss the big guys all weekend and losing 3vR early Friday was hugh. Norm's system had us on our heels all night and they owned our end. Very fortunate to escape 2-1 but just an ugly game to watch. Chuck mentioned not being strong in the corners and that really hurt all weekend but more so on Friday. BU/BC games are always fun no matter the discrepancy in ability etc. They are always fun to watch with lots of up and down and quick skill demonstrations with just as quick defensive moves to turn it around.

And while not making lemonade out of lemons, until the last 8 minutes or so last night we showed heart, speed and a lot of grit for being that undersized and down 4 important parts of this offense. While I have no problem with a 20 switch to the first line when 23 comes back, I see 23 a better fit as 20 is a shoot first guy who is not as much a set up man in my eyes. But lets give it a try as the first line is, as you noted, struggling at present and that switch would not throw off 7-26 and whomever.

The UNH "Black Flier' were driving them crazy last night and i loved the effort. Effort allow can't win games but it can help keep you from losing.
                    Grasso has certainly been more of a goal scorer the last two seasons, scoring 20 goals as a UNH FR and 22 during his last season in Des Moines, but he also posted a 2:1 assist to goal ratio in his first two USHL seasons. I guess I view him less as a scorer or play maker and more as an offensive creator, capable of playing either role at a high level when necessary...

Nine times out of ten, Salvaggio is shooting the puck and McNichols is a making a pass. CK is more likely to look to score than McNicholas, but in a lot of ways I see him as redundant to what 11 brings to the line. He has always been more of a pass first player, off the rush and playing guys open with his hands. He's a different player than his brother - who was, like Grasso (or Poturalski, or potentially Blackburn), a creator. In particular, a creator with his feet.

TK created so much space and so many chances for his linemates by skating with the puck in the zone, around the zone or by cutting horizontally when entering the zone. That's the kind of player UNH is missing, in my eyes. I think Grasso has that type of game. Blackburn also plays that way - he set up a BVR goal earlier this year by making that exact cut across the offensive blue line - but they need him to center a line as their only other truly gifted offensive pivot. The only other option on this team with that type of game is Fregona - and they clearly don't trust his strength/defensive play/experience/something enough to give hm regular run in the top six...

There is no reason the line has to play the same way in a new season, but when I compare the production from last year to this season that is what they lost/are missing. I'd be interested in hearing other ideas for F lines, but at its current scoring rate I think we're getting closer to having to try new combinations at the top. It's a good line, but first lines need to be great...
                    Last edited by Dan; 11-13-2017, 07:30 PM.
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
                      Just for the record, Hockey db has Langway in the NHL from the '78-'79 season through the "93-'93 season, 15 years. Steve Leach logged in with NHL games starting in the '85-'86 season through the '99-'00 season, 14 years, although Steve was a part timer (injuries mostly) in his latter years. JVR is in his ninth year and, as an fyi, Dave Lumley logged in with eight. Ty Conklin also played parts of eight, a serious backup for four, but was never the lead dog.

Btw, hockeydb.com is the great equalizer. Knowing that I am a big college hockey fan, there have been several times over the years when friends tell me that one guy or another that they either played golf with or got to know professionally would brag that they played hockey at Harvard, or BU, or BC, or UNH. I'd say, I don't recall that but let me look it up. And, most times, I am correct. In fact, there are two very successful high school hockey coaches on the North Shore who have said in the past that they played at UNH when, in fact, they didn't. And there is one, who rarely brings it up, who did.
                      Oops, I knew that JvR had moved ahead of Lumley and Conklin in NHL years played, but had forgotten about Leach. I also forgot about Bryan Muir, who played for parts of 12 seasons in the NHL, and has a SC. So, by my count, JvR is fourth all time, so far, in number of NHL seasons for UNH players, behind Langway, Leach, and Muir. It is possible that JvR could catch Langway if he can stay healthy. Also, I do not think that you can compare goals scored or many other stats between eras, in the NHL or several other sports. Now, individual trophies, sure.

Comment

Oops, I knew that JvR had moved ahead of Lumley and Conklin in NHL years played, but had forgotten about Leach. I also forgot about Bryan Muir, who played for parts of 12 seasons in the NHL, and has a SC. So, by my count, JvR is fourth all time, so far, in number of NHL seasons for UNH players, behind Langway, Leach, and Muir. It is possible that JvR could catch Langway if he can stay healthy. Also, I do not think that you can compare goals scored or many other stats between eras, in the NHL or several other sports. Now, individual trophies, sure.
                        Bobby Gould played in parts of 11 NHL seasons with the Flames, Caps and B's through the '80's, with a bit before and a bit after that decade. Scored 20 goals in 3 seasons, pretty fair and reliable 3rd line forward at that level. Not all that unlike what JvR has turned into, actually. Of course, the old-timers on this thread (myself included) will always have a soft spot for BG in our hearts for a terrific UNH moment that still lives to this day.

Pop Quiz (to the newbies and young'uns only, please): Why is Bobby Gould so significant in UNH Hockey history?

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          Bobby Gould played in parts of 11 NHL seasons with the Flames, Caps and B's through the '80's, with a bit before and a bit after that decade. Scored 20 goals in 3 seasons, pretty fair and reliable 3rd line forward at that level. Not all that unlike what JvR has turned into, actually. Of course, the old-timers on this thread (myself included) will always have a soft spot for BG in our hearts for a terrific UNH moment that still lives to this day.

Pop Quiz (to the newbies and young'uns only, please): Why is Bobby Gould so significant in UNH Hockey history?
                          Excellent! I forgot about Bobby Gould's NHL career; really only 10 seasons, if subtract first two with 1 and 3 games with the Flames.

So, updated list is as follows:
                          1. Rod Langway, F, 15 seasons, 1978/79-1992/93, 4 Canadians, 11 Caps
                          2. Steve Leach, F, 15, 1985/86-1990/91, 6 Caps, 5 Bruins
                          3. Dan Winnik, F, 11 seasons, 2007/08-2017/18, 8 teams!
                          4. Bryan Muir, D, 11, 1995/96-2006/07, many teams
                          5. Andy Brickley, F, 11, 1982/83-1984/85, 1986/87-1993/94, five teams, 4 Bruins (first and last seasons, 3 and 2 games)
                          6. Bobby Gould, F, 10, 1980/81-1989/90, 8 Caps
                          7. Jamie van Riemsdyk, F, 9, 2009/10-2017/18, 3 Flyers, 6 Leafs
                          8. Dave Lumley, F, 9, 1979/80-1986/87, 8 Oilers (first and last seasons, 3 and 1 games)
                          9. Ty Conklin, G, 8, 2001/02-2011/12, many teams

Others?
                          Last edited by Snively65; 11-16-2017, 09:50 PM.

Comment

Excellent! I forgot about Bobby Gould's NHL career; really only 10 seasons, if subtract first two with 1 and 3 games with the Flames.

So, updated list is as follows:
                            1. Rod Langway, 15 seasons
                            2. Steve Leach, 14
                            3. Bryan Muir, 12
                            4. Bobby Gould, 10
                            5. Jamie van Riemsdyk, 9
                            6. Dave Lumley, 8
                            7. Ty Conklin, 8

Others? Arrman, who are you thinking that is currently playing in the NHL with more seasons than JvR?
                            Daniel Winnik

Comment

• Originally posted by boblav1 View Post
                              Of course! Thanks, boblav. I will add and make some other edits to my post.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                                Didn't he score the winning goal 40 seconds into OT in the 1977 East Regional semi-finals in that wild 10-9 win over Cornell at the Garden? (I should know this because I was there, but I seem to always confuse him with someone else).

As an aside to anyone who left after that game, the second game was almost as good. BU scored three in the last five minutes to beat Dave Taylor's Clarkson team, 6-5 in the other semi. And we all know who won the final the next night...

(was it "unfair" for me to answer because I'm not a young'un?) It doesn't matter anyway, because anyone can just look it up on the internet now...
                                Last edited by chickod; 11-14-2017, 08:14 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X