This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
    Last night was a dip into the last couple seasons for UNH, who struggled immensely to move or possess the puck. They fumbled pucks all night, put passes in skates, received poorly and squandered scoring chances off the ends of their blades. Gildon losing the puck uncontested was a microcosm for the whole night.

That turnover was a bad one, no question, but I don't think it's fair to put the first goal on him. First of all it was at the end of a PP so UNH was outnumbered down low. Secondly, Marks finally won possession of the puck and instead of swatting it in the corner tried to go directly across the crease and put it on Gates' tape for a tap-in. Marks being the playmaker is exactly why Gildon and Tirone reacted so slowly. Interestingly enough it's the exact type of play that was reviewed last week to remove assists. But not last night...

Gildon has work to do to defend consistently - so does the entire team. But let's not forget he is a +6 (best in the entire team). And that is an even strength measure, so his dominance on the PP does not skew numbers in his favor.

Despite shot totals CC was hardly dangerous this weekend - and in particular last night. Two long shots got through last night and two tape to tape TOs led to goals tonight. It could have easily been a shutdown weekend with a similar D effort - though in sure the coaches will use the mistakes to harp on continued Defensice focus.

Pass to sticks, catch and control pucks, get full steam on some more shots and it's a 6-0 start...
    Spot on Dan....
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
      So, was that a self-inflicted wound, or a reminder of how thin the talent is on this team? It felt like a bit of both. Without Wyse it felt pretty scary on D most of the time. And yet, Gildon/Marks were on the ice for both goals. Hmmmm. Without Eiserman, it looked like Vela was playing by himself. He was all over the place doing everything to generate some O, but the other two couldn’t seem to get on the same page or provide support.
      Given that the first two changes were uncontrollable, was it smart to mess with Blackburn’s line, even though it was Grasso returning? Should he have been thrown into Eiserman’s slot to leave Blackburn’s line intact until the sophs could have a week of practice? Note that I am assuming the lines we saw last night are the ones that practiced all week. Continuing on this Monday morning tack, was it wise to mess with the chemistry of the fourth line on the same night the other changes were also occurring? Sato was great fun to watch, but the fourth line had none of the effectiveness tonight that we saw in the first five games.
      With all the fiddling, only the first line was intact, and they looked pretty ineffective all night, at least in the offensive end.
      They had to address a D pairing and one line, but with a Grasso for Eiserman sub, it could have been limited to that. Why mess with three out of four lines?
      OK, that’s enough whining.
      Let’s get back to winning.
      To win last night's game? I vote no. Long term for player development? I suppose I vote yes. Errgh.
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Not overlooking the next 2 games, but the UML rematch will be telling.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
          Not overlooking the next 2 games, but the UML rematch will be telling.
          Yup.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
            As for the Whit, new and improved in a way. New lighting, beer stand, what revelations. But the attendance was abysmal both games. Last night there is no way there were 4100 in the arena. The student section, even the main two sections, were not full. By the end of the game, half of the kids have left. As for the rest of the arena, there were but a handful of people in the GA sections and in all the others, none was close to be filled. Mostly just saw the old folks like me. If UNH is going to rejuvenate interest in the program, it has to start with youth hockey groups and their families. I have said this a number of times over the years, but BC does a great job filling Conte with kids. UNH should follow their lead.

As for Chikod's point, and it's related to what I said above, college hockey has failed to retain the interest of the casual fan. Attendance figures are down throughout college hockey, east and west. I posted last week on the Frozen Four ticket thread about the fact that advanced purchase of tickets to the FF is way down, even compared to a year ago. Here in Boston, the Beanpot doesn't sell out anymore, nor does Hockey East finals. Can't totally put my finger on the reason why, but perhaps there are just too many options for a person's entertainment dollar, even compared to a few years ago.
            I think household economics have changed a lot in the last 20 years too. I would assume the average family spends somewhere around $500 a month between cable, internet, and phones which is money they aren't going to spend elsewhere. With that you get so many more entertainment options than you used to. On top of that food and housing have increased a lot and income has gone down for a lot of people.

Schools would do well to look at the all-in ticket price as opposed to what face value is. I know i've paid $40 for one ticket to some UNH games in the last five years. As a diehard Maine fan I don't mind paying it even though I think its completely ridiculous, but more casual fans aren't going to do that, especially if its for a family of say four. For people who do spend the money and see a half full arena and no atmosphere they probably aren't going to come back. The schools need be realistic about what the average person will be willing to pay.

I think Chikod's observation on less people showing up because of there being less people at the games is a good one. It seemed like at Maine the rink went from about 80% full to 50% full almost overnight. It's not very much fun when you see empty seats all over the place.
            Originally posted by BobbyBrady
            Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

Thanks all for the analysis....I hope someone at UNH sees what is here! I think Chickod is right on the money with all points given! Obviously we are not as "metropolitan" as
              BU but the many options, the cost of cable with the options given (Drew S), time of the season vs winter and no travel then, vs foliage.....I guess they all play into it......Appreciate the HE stats Greg, as it helps normalize our issue but UNH has to wake up to these issues, especially if it's affecting even their new jewel, over at football! Personally, I wish they would market every sport, and gender! Have Ellen Purrier visit w Umile or Seano at a coach's corner......make sure all sports are included in the espn3 deal.....our only NC is from the women's side!
              Anyway, we'll see what the season brings and how some of our theories play out......thanks guys....Go Cats!

Comment

Getting wins the next two weekends is extremely important with the toughest portion of the year's schedule on the docket after UMass...

@UVM
                @UM

----

UML
                @BU
                BC
                @Yale
                @PC
                PC
                Live Free or Die!!
                Miami University '03

Comment

Nice to get some Bucci Love....keep it up 'Cats!

NEW BucciMane Top 11
                  1 Denver
                  2 StCloud
                  3 Wisconsin
                  4 Providence
                  5 NDakota
                  6 MinnSt
                  7 BU
                  8 AirForce
                  9 Clarkson
                  10 NewHampshire
                  11 Quinnipiac

Comment

Union leader story: Most likely no Wyse for the weekend...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...81/1003/sports

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                      Union leader story: Most likely no Wyse for the weekend...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...81/1003/sports
                      Wow, out another week. As others have noted, it didn't have the classic -ouch to the hit.

I did think that Miller had a very strong first game and think he will join the other 2 freshmen in making this a most memorable class of D-men. 8 and 28 as very comfortable looking out there. Yes sometimes you can get to comfortable but i saw lots of very nice moves, takeaways and we all love the shot.

A few thoughts on Saturday vs Friday. I think we all knew we would probably not be as lucky Saturday if we didn't play better team defense. On Friday we not only didn't have the defense but we also went into the "play not to lose mode." The entire 3rd period we just skated it up to center ice and dumped it in.

That drives me crazy. That was the biggest contributor to the shot differential of that period. We got 3 shots because we never ventured into the offensive zone. We dump and they come charging back into our zone and pepper DT. Another problem with this approach is that you essentially add about 5 minute to the other teams time of possession. Also, their goalie was so much better Saturday night. No we didn't severely test him but he make some stops that he was letting in on Friday. Not MG's, they were going in all weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                        Wow, out another week. As others have noted, it didn't have the classic -ouch to the hit.

I did think that Miller had a very strong first game and think he will join the other 2 freshmen in making this a most memorable class of D-men. 8 and 28 as very comfortable looking out there. Yes sometimes you can get to comfortable but i saw lots of very nice moves, takeaways and we all love the shot.

A few thoughts on Saturday vs Friday. I think we all knew we would probably not be as lucky Saturday if we didn't play better team defense. On Friday we not only didn't have the defense but we also went into the "play not to lose mode." The entire 3rd period we just skated it up to center ice and dumped it in.

That drives me crazy. That was the biggest contributor to the shot differential of that period. We got 3 shots because we never ventured into the offensive zone. We dump and they come charging back into our zone and pepper DT. Another problem with this approach is that you essentially add about 5 minute to the other teams time of possession.
                        Also, their goalie was so much better Saturday night. No we didn't severely test him but he make some stops that he was letting in on Friday. Not MG's, they were going in all weekend.
                        OK let me play devil's advocate for a moment here. So ... UNH takes a two goal lead into the 3rd period on Friday night, and scores with what was likely their first shot of the period two minutes in to make it a 3 goal lead (5-2). We already know in retrospect that UNH had a grand total of three (3) shots in the 3rd period, and one of those was the late ENG, so Leclerc made one (1) save otherwise. And UNH was able to win comfortably 6-3 despite conceding those extra SOG's and all that extra time of possession. What's the issue then?

Harken back to last Fall, when UNH blew a 4 or 5 goal lead to mighty UMass Amherst. Big leads can dissipate, and you don't get any extra points for winning by a larger margin. And there's nothing that will anger a coach more with his players - and likewise fans with their coach - than not being aware of the prevailing game conditions. It's why teams who are in the lead usually play more conservatively, and why teams who are trailing often throw caution to the wind. You also don't get docked for points by losing by a larger margin. And just like a team leading by 2-3 goals isn't going to want to play a wide open game that plays into the trailing opposition's hands, a team trailing by a similar margin isn't going to want to match neutral zone traps with the team they're chasing to try to get back into the game.

So, in conclusion ... who cares that UNH got outshot 15-3 or whatever, or were out-possessed in the 3rd period on Friday night? They got the win, and isn't that the object of the game?

I think the problem occurs when you have a lead and go into "playing not to win" too early in the game. Just like in football with the so-called prevent defense ... sometimes it's tactically astute to give up small things to preserve the bigger things. If UNH was guarding a one goal lead for the entire 3rd period, I agree with your point. A three goal lead, though? That's a huge hill to climb for even the best teams with the most potent offenses against a team willing to clog the middle and letting you nibble (repeatedly even) along the edges of the zone.

We pretty much saw the situation almost in reverse on Saturday night ... once UNH clawed back even at 1-1 late in the second period, it looked like CC was happy to play things out for a tie. Unfortunately, it felt the same way for UNH, and when CC realized UNH was not going to press too hard for the W, then they decided to go for it themselves a little late in the 3rd period. When Tirone had his "moment" late in regulation, that can't have hurt CC's morale going into OT. And then MG handed it to them on a silver platter in the OT.

IMO the single best argument against UNH slowing things down in Friday's game, is that sometimes that can have a carryover effect on the next night's game against the same opponent. After Blackburn's early goal in the 3rd period Friday night - at which time UNH had scored five goals in just two periods' worth of play - they would go almost the next four periods/77+ minutes with only one non-empty net goal.

In the end, CC made the right adjustments for Saturday night, played a more contained game, and UNH - when basically gifted a 3 point weekend - got greedy and made some late mistakes that gave one of those points away. I'll chalk that up to the learning curve ... but for a young team to have thrown caution to the wind on Friday and put those two points in jeopardy, that really could have put a huge early dent in the team's emerging confidence. You know I'm hardly the one who runs automatically to the defense of the coaches, but this time under these circumstances, I can live with it. Now the important thing is to learn from what they messed up, and to make it right going forwards.
                        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                          OK let me play devil's advocate for a moment here. So ... UNH takes a two goal lead into the 3rd period on Friday night, and scores with what was likely their first shot of the period two minutes in to make it a 3 goal lead (5-2). We already know in retrospect that UNH had a grand total of three (3) shots in the 3rd period, and one of those was the late ENG, so Leclerc made one (1) save otherwise. And UNH was able to win comfortably 6-3 despite conceding those extra SOG's and all that extra time of possession. What's the issue then?

Harken back to last Fall, when UNH blew a 4 or 5 goal lead to mighty UMass Amherst. Big leads can dissipate, and you don't get any extra points for winning by a larger margin. And there's nothing that will anger a coach more with his players - and likewise fans with their coach - than not being aware of the prevailing game conditions. It's why teams who are in the lead usually play more conservatively, and why teams who are trailing often throw caution to the wind. You also don't get docked for points by losing by a larger margin. And just like a team leading by 2-3 goals isn't going to want to play a wide open game that plays into the trailing opposition's hands, a team trailing by a similar margin isn't going to want to match neutral zone traps with the team they're chasing to try to get back into the game.

So, in conclusion ... who cares that UNH got outshot 15-3 or whatever, or were out-possessed in the 3rd period on Friday night? They got the win, and isn't that the object of the game?

I think the problem occurs when you have a lead and go into "playing not to win" too early in the game. Just like in football with the so-called prevent defense ... sometimes it's tactically astute to give up small things to preserve the bigger things. If UNH was guarding a one goal lead for the entire 3rd period, I agree with your point. A three goal lead, though? That's a huge hill to climb for even the best teams with the most potent offenses against a team willing to clog the middle and letting you nibble (repeatedly even) along the edges of the zone.

We pretty much saw the situation almost in reverse on Saturday night ... once UNH clawed back even at 1-1 late in the second period, it looked like CC was happy to play things out for a tie. Unfortunately, it felt the same way for UNH, and when CC realized UNH was not going to press too hard for the W, then they decided to go for it themselves a little late in the 3rd period. When Tirone had his "moment" late in regulation, that can't have hurt CC's morale going into OT. And then MG handed it to them on a silver platter in the OT.

IMO the single best argument against UNH slowing things down in Friday's game, is that sometimes that can have a carryover effect on the next night's game against the same opponent. After Blackburn's early goal in the 3rd period Friday night - at which time UNH had scored five goals in just two periods' worth of play - they would go almost the next four periods/77+ minutes with only one non-empty net goal.

In the end, CC made the right adjustments for Saturday night, played a more contained game, and UNH - when basically gifted a 3 point weekend - got greedy and made some late mistakes that gave one of those points away. I'll chalk that up to the learning curve ... but for a young team to have thrown caution to the wind on Friday and put those two points in jeopardy, that really could have put a huge early dent in the team's emerging confidence. You know I'm hardly the one who runs automatically to the defense of the coaches, but this time under these circumstances, I can live with it. Now the important thing is to learn from what they messed up, and to make it right going forwards.
                          Jeeze Chuck didya have to bring up those blown UMass leads? I had forgotten them harrumph!! Seriously tho both posts are relevant. Like I said to hubby it was obvious CC made the necessary adjustments, LeClerc was hot and the TO well it happens.

Will be interesting to see what the line up looks like at the other 'Cat house. Looking forward to the trip to Burlington hoping for a couple of HE points!! Go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Chuck
                            You know what? I agree with almost everything you say. i was responding to earlier comments about the shot differential. If i was the coach, that would have probably have been my strategy too. it just makes for a long boring 20 minutes hence the - i hate it comment. I will take any kinda win over the alternates.

Comment

• Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

Chuck, SOG is not about quantity, it's about reducing quality grade A SOG. Nobody gives a rats arse about dump in SOG. So you're right, perimeter SOG or dump in SOG are pretty much irrelevent with a substantial lead. C'mon!
                              Last edited by e.cat; 10-23-2017, 08:26 PM.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                                Chuck, SOG is not about quantity, it's about reducing quality grade A SOG. Nobody gives a rats arse about dump in SOG. So you're right, perimeter SOG or dump in SOG are pretty much irrelevent with a substantial lead. C'mon!
                                So, SOG has evolved into diSOG and pSOG? I must return to school for a SOG refresher course. :-)

Comment

Working...
                                X