Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Beer on tap, Sal's Pizza AND winning hockey? Souza and Stu have new weapons in the recruiting arsenal now.

Keep this up, and Lake Whitt should be selling out as soon as football wraps, once the permafrost sets in.
    Whitt-beer is in cans, Sal's is at Tsongas. Good news if Souza and Stu are recruiting for UML.

UNH concessions, I thought campus catering assumed responsibility last year(?), are disappointing.
    I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
      There is one other, maybe Whale's Tale Pale Ale from Nantucket brewing? Fully understanding how the beer distribution business works, it is disappointing that, if we are going to sell beer, it is not local NH craft brews. UNH has a brewery manager and offers a brewing science minor. Synergy calling. Hello?
      You would think that with the myriad of craft brewers in the Seacoast that they could come up with something other than Goose Island. The place where I play golf Lynn serves primarily Bud products, including Goose. But they also have two taps reserved for the local brew right down the street, Bent Water. I get that not everybody likes what I do. In fact one of my closest friends, long time STH, drinks nothing but Bud Light. But for those who want the alternative, Goose Island is an insult.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
        You would think that with the myriad of craft brewers in the Seacoast that they could come up with something other than Goose Island. The place where I play golf Lynn serves primarily Bud products, including Goose. But they also have two taps reserved for the local brew right down the street, Bent Water. I get that not everybody likes what I do. In fact one of my closest friends, long time STH, drinks nothing but Bud Light. But for those who want the alternative, Goose Island is an insult.
        Odds are it is catered by the same people that cater the dining halls. Those are generally huge companies, who have contracts for what drinks they can sell at their locations. My guess is you won't see local unless there is sustained asking for it for a lengthy period, so administration can ask the food service company to do them a solid.
        BS UMass Lowell 2015
        PhD Georgia Institute of Technology 2020

Comment

Craft beers aside, DT gets the DPOW from Hockey East in the young season's first HE awards.
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

• Originally posted by UML Puck Hawk View Post
            Odds are it is catered by the same people that cater the dining halls. Those are generally huge companies, who have contracts for what drinks they can sell at their locations. My guess is you won't see local unless there is sustained asking for it for a lengthy period, so administration can ask the food service company to do them a solid.
            I agree with you, UML PH. And, I plan to write a letter to BS35+5.

Comment

Well, well, what do we have here? It seems the retirement gifts have already begun to arrive in Durham NH, as in channeling their long ago "Champions of December" mojo, your 2017/2018 'Cats kicked off season with a pair of W's against defending Hockey East champions UMass Lowell. Lots of good news to reflect upon, as WIS Productions brings you the next chapter in the final farewell edition of "Umile's Last Stand - The _____ for 600".

"Umile's Last Stand - The Quest for 600"

Coach Umile's current career wins total: 588
              Wins Remaining to NRN (Next Round Number): 12
              Games Remaining (plus 2 min. MBPBEGAM games): 34
              Win Pct. Required to Hit Target: 35.3%
              WIS Estimated Likelihood of Success: 75%
              2017/2018 Cupcake Conversion Ratio (CCR): 0/0 (0.0%)

When the schedule details were originally released, and we saw that UMass Lowell was one of the several HE schools against whom UNH had an extra game scheduled (I've already forgotten which school left to make this a necessity? ), it felt kind of harsh on the Wildcats, especially considering last season's ignominious ending. But upon closer inspection, the invisible hand of Joey "Peaches" Bertagna could be seen behind the scheme, as all three games were scheduled for before the Thanksgiving holiday. No doubt Coach Bazin was in on the scheme, as given the choice between dropping early season league and PWR points to a top of the league rival OR a MBPGEGAM middle of the road opponent ... well, that seems like a pretty easy one to answer. But not satisfied with the road upset against Coach Bazin's boys, Coach Umile's UNH squad got greedy and completed the double with a determined effort on Saturday evening to finish up a season-opening sweep that has grabbed his program some much-needed national attention. Not only do the wins take a significant (and surprising) chunk out of Coach's inexorable march towards the NRN, but also catapulted his 'Cats to a #20 ranking. That's nosebleed territory for the recent years of stumbling .500 mediocrity his program has experienced ... but then again, it IS still early October, and (pardon the pun from the offseason threads) par for the course for a coach and program noted for their traditional fast starts, and crushing season-ending crashes. But this is a new year, and make no mistake, we here at WIS are rooting for Coach Umile to do way more than reach the vaunted NRN.

Looking at the big picture ... as we did last season, the WIS panel of experts projected in the preseason that Coach Umile's Wildcats would amass at least 10 wins in the opening 19 game stretch of the season through completion of the Ledyard Bank Classic after the break and before we turn the calendar into 2018. Although we almost exactly nailed Saturday's home win, UNH's win on Friday at Lowell puts the 'Cats ahead of even those optimistic projections, and builds more optimism that the NRN will be a fait accompli earlier than anticipated. And while Colgate and their own NRN-seeking coach will come to Durham with an unbeaten record (over the likes of Niagara and Merrimack), make no mistake ... these are two very winnable games, and this begins the first of two stretches during the '17 segment of this season that's stocked with cupcakes. The four game "Halloween Homestand", and a winnable road game up at The Gut gives Coach Umile a real opportunity to get a foothold into the season before a challenging November schedule arrives.

It all just looks so ... well, easy. Of course, that's when overconfidence could become an issue, which seems unlikely, especially with the (formerly Red) Raiders from upstate NY on the doorstep, and off to a good start of their own. Just feeling one "W" in my bones for this coming weekend's action, but willing to be surprised with another sweep.

Predictions:

Friday: @ UNH 5 Colgate 2
              Saturday: @ UNH 3 Colgate 3

NEXT CUPCAKES ON THE SHELF: 10/20/17 & 10/21/17 vs. Colorado College

2018/2019 (AND BEYOND) RECRUITING UPDATE: No decommits this week, as we still await some clarity on why the Japanese kid isn't listed on the roster, but was spotted hanging around The Whitt for the exhibition game against the X-Men. But with the newfound national ranking, and the advent of beer sales at The Whitt ... one would think it's time for Souza and Stu to put away the golf clubs for the season, and get back out onto the road to start hunting blue-chippahs. WIS correspondents have been trying to reach out to former UNH commit G Drew Commesso to see if he's now reconsidering his decommit, but our calls have not been returned. Yet.
              Last edited by Chuck Murray; 10-09-2017, 01:13 PM.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

We're #20! Hey ya gotta start somewhere....when was the last time we were ranked? 3 seasons ago?
                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                  We're #20! Hey ya gotta start somewhere....when was the last time we were ranked? 3 seasons ago?

and, we are tied with five others for 16th in the PWR.

I know, I know, I know......

Comment

Story with quotes from Umile, Tirone and Wyse on emphasizing defense and the two rookies:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...p-umass-lowell
                    https://www.hockeyjournal.com/author/jeffcox/
                    Follow on twitter @JeffCoxSports

Comment

Originally posted by CollegeHockeyRinkReport View Post
                      Story with quotes from Umile, Tirone and Wyse on emphasizing defense and the two rookies:

https://www.sbncollegehockey.com/201...p-umass-lowell
                      Nice report, Jeff.

And, a lot of the UML SOG on Saturday night came during one of their PP's. Tirone stopped the pucks he needed to stop; not much he could about the laser over his shoulder. Did not flop around on the ice much. Maybe Brian Foster as new volunteer goalie coach is already paying dividends?
                      Last edited by Snively65; 10-09-2017, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Word on the street is Sato is fully redshirting this year. No details as to there being any weird reason why this is occurring.

Comment

Fantastic start - the pessimist in me is just wondering if UML was overrated though. That being said, a win is a win is win. Hopefully its just the start of it rather than two fluke wins!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lemonade View Post
                            Fantastic start - the pessimist in me is just wondering if UML was overrated though. That being said, a win is a win is win. Hopefully its just the start of it rather than two fluke wins!
                            Maybe UML is adjusting to the loss of Kappla Zink and Smith...but oh well look what we lost. Had they beaten us it would be business as usual. The 'Cats deserved the wins I mean we actually won faceoffs!!!

Anyway...let's see what they do with it. There's lots of season ahead obviously but I am enjoying this for all it's worth dept! Beats losing 8-2...😳
                            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              Maybe UML is adjusting to the loss of Kappla Zink and Smith...but oh well look what we lost. Had they beaten us it would be business as usual. The 'Cats deserved the wins I mean we actually won faceoffs!!!

Anyway...let's see what they do with it. There's lots of season ahead obviously but I am enjoying this for all it's worth dept! Beats losing 8-2...��
                              Yes! You have to enjoy it for what it is! Certainly didn't think the season would start this way, but now that it has maybe this year will be special. Or they could stink it up this weekend. So much to sort out, and they will on the ice. Until then we should all be pleased with the #20 ranking and the weekend sweep of UML. WHAT A START!

Comment

I just perused the Colgate thread, where their fans appear to feel similar to ours, that is cautiously optimistic after a good start to their season.

Comment

Working...
                                X