Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Greg Ambrose View Post
    So, are you telling us that JVR was a better college hockey player than Krog?
    No
    The Souza record:
    15-16 10th place
    16-17 10th place
    17-18 11th place
    18-19 8th place
    19-20 9th place
    20-21 10th place
    21-22 9th place
    22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHole12 View Post
      Beacon Garage is not open to all. Open to Flynn Fund donors only.
      All I know is we have a parking pass with the tickets so that works for us! Just took a look and we are in the Beacon St. garage 2? Anyway...it's all free so we'll take advantage!
      Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Folks I am not ready to write off this UNH team (as you'd expect) and I'm not saying anyone here is either. However I am concerned that our top line and over all goal production in the last 3 games has certainly been lacking; PP hasn't produced much of anything. It's obvious that someone on that top line needs to step up and be a playmaker. To be fair both Grasso and Charlie K have been dealing with injuries which have to affect them. On paper this is still a young team that I believe will progressively get better but the veterans have their work cut out for them. I do not wish to say that without TyK forget it but something has to give on that top line. I have no clue if we shuffled the deck what that could even look like. Would love some convo on this. Going to give BC credit; their veteran players stepped up for them, they played solid D, and Woll managed twice to avoid what looked like sure goals in big save efforts.

Over all we still deal with a lack of timely/lengthy puck possession but last night I thought we did a decent enough job of limiting BC's chances although in the 3rd you could see they had the puck for long periods of time. Seeing some good stuff from guys like Eric MacAdams as he scored his first NCAA goal. Love the tenacity of that player every shift the kid gives and it paid off last night. I think we are going to see a lot from him as the season goes forward.

Glad we have the day off(sort of ) and hope we find something on the road v Yale. Have heard that's a tough place to play. Hope you're right Felger about PC and the malaise of playing in the FS4 tourney as PC is up next. They are playing decent hockey and HE points are desperately needed. Wishing all a great Thanksgiving. Go 'Cats!!

Ps..we could see Eiserman back for Yale
        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Just to elaborate a little further on last night's game (caught it on ESPN3 on my way back from vacation) ... it seemed UNH's offense was choppy and at times accidental. That can sometimes be classified as opportunistic, or arise from some tough checking that forces giveaways in key areas of the ice. Their two goals were very nice, but once you got past that ... really, not too much in the way of quality chances. Even the BvR breakaway (second period IIRC?) never looked like he had a chance. And of course the Woll save in the 3rd was a fluky break on a weird bounce coming out of the corner. Nazarian should have buried it, but it looked like he was almost too careful just to get it on net, and didn't think Woll would have a chance to get back in position. Oh well ... easy come, easy go, I suppose.

I guess for me, it always just felt like BC had more attacking flow more consistently. It's not like they were utterly dominant, but I think if you put both teams out there without their school colors, any neutral observer would say that the team that scored three goals had better chances all night long, were more organized in their 5-on-5 play, and won most of the puck battles too. I disagree with the poster who said that if the Nazarian shot went in, the game would have been a deserved tie. I absolutely positively think that even if UNH does score that goal, BC would have turned it up another notch, and I think they'd have won later in regulation or in OT. The way they killed off most of the last 2 minutes, once UNH came back to full strength, was textbook situational possession hockey. Disheartening as a UNH fan to see your team struggling to simply get the puck back when they needed it, and not being able to get Tirone out of the net sooner as a result.

One final thing I want to mention goes to our emerging All-HE talent Max Gildon back on the blueline. In most of the games to date, he's stood out apart from most of the rest of the players on either team. Last night, he was largely neutralized and fairly ineffective. Hey, you are a frosh, and you are going to have some of those nights, it's all part of the learning curve, I can understand that.

What I can't understand, and will not tolerate, is watching him give up the puck near the end of the final UNH power play (I think - it was latter half of the 3rd period IIRC?) at the opposing blue line, and then simply watching the BC kid coast in for a clean breakaway on Tirone for what would have been the game-clincher. Maybe he was gassed? I don't know, but it was a terrible look, and it's not the first time I've seen him putting forth a half-hearted defensive effort at a key point in a tight game. Maybe this was what Bucky saw? Probably harsh on Gildon, but if I'm his coach, and he's doing this at this early stage of his career, I'm getting in his grill and telling him this is unacceptable.
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Well Chuck I do think your most recent post speaks to pretty much the tale of the tape last night. Saw the Gildon miscue and yup...that's an issue and not the first time that's happened. However I'm going to give him the benefit of the "you are only 18" still...more has to come from him in those regards. UNH is still fortunate to have him that for me at least does not change. Hope/have to believe he's a coachable kid that would be aware and will continue to work at it.

Wondering out loud that if we were completely healthy in these past three if things would've been different at least in the UML game. No matter it's what happens next is what matters. Lots of hockey to go. Go 'Cats!

Ps... didn't know/realize BC has had our number out of 23 past games they are 17-2-3 😳
            Last edited by HockeyRef; 11-18-2017, 09:37 AM.
            Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
              Halfway through the six game November gauntlet, and nary a result to show for it
              Well, I count five games in November. Likely to be 2-3 when all is said and done.

Not to mention that "gauntlet" should never be used in the same sentence as UMass and Yale.

And what presents does December bring? Seven games (only two outside of the Granite State) against teams with a combined record of 23-29-6. In all likelihood, the December opposition will have lost more than 30 games before the turkey is carved.

Only Providence can even make a face like a Division One college hockey team, and as I mentioned before the 'Cats get them following their trip to Ireland.

The level of competition is so bad in December that Matt Dawson might even get into a game.
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

I think Gildon may just be a little TOO confident when the puck is on his stick. Nothing we didn't see all of DeSimone's career. Hopefully he figures it out shortly.
                Whenever I think of the past, it brings back so many memories. - Stephen Wright

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                  I find it interesting that the narrative from the fiercely sentimental crowd jas turned into it being all about what UNH players do at UNH, when this whole argument began with their direct comparison of Gould and JVR at the NHL level in an attempt to minimize JVRs accomplishments. Miss a kick, move the goalposts...

JVR is the more talented player and better scorer at each level - any coach with objectivity picks him first to build either a college or professional team as his skill set and ability is much harder to find. Bobby Gould is still very good, a more defensively responsible player and made a bigger impact at UNH by staying four years and scoring some big goals. They're both good. They're both Wildcats.

Take all the issue with paragraph two, sentence one you want. It's true. Its not an indictment on Gould's career, a diminishing of his accomplishments or an affront to the glory days and heros of ones youth (If you take it as one that's your perspective not mine. Perhaps a reflection of your own attempts to belittle a former player...). And it's my last word on the subject...

----

More importantly, UNH loses again. The bloom is off the rose. They're not talented or deep enough to beat the better teams in college hockey regularly. They can still have a good season if they win the games they're supposed to and steal a few from better teams, but the margin for error is shrinking. A 2-1 record over the next three is all but a must for confidence heading into a stretch of games they need to win if they hope to make the tournament to send Dick out in style...

At Yale has historically been a tough ask for even the best UNH teams. This game just screams their Snively goes off... #irony
                  Dan, just remind you that this is the University of New Hampshire thread on the U.S. College Hockey Online website. People who post here mostly do so with a UNH perspective in mind. If you reread my posts, you will not see me say that Bob Gould was a better offensive player than JVR. In 1977 when he scored the winner in 2OT vs. Cornell he was no better than the third or fourth best offensive player on the team. Nor was he the best offensive player in 1979 when he scored the winner vs. Dartmouth. But in his four years at UNH he always seemed to have the knack to make the right play at the right time, a talent for which he is duly recognized by most decades long UNH fans.

As for UNH today, they are, at best the sixth best team in a weak league. I do believe that they will finish better than last year's 10th place finish but it won't be easy. They need to beat up on UMass and UConn, split at Maine (tall order given that they beat BU 5-2 last night) and at least split with the likes of Merrimack. They are going to have to get better. Last night their transition out of the zone wasn't nearly as efficient as it was a few weeks ago and they had little sustained presence in the offensive zone. But, then, they were playing a better level of competition. Beating Northeastern, BU, BC, and Providence is mostly out of the question. Fortunately they have played five games against the upper echelon and won two. But, as said, they will need to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by BCeagle View Post
                    So can you use your football pass to indicate you are a Flynn Donor ? Or that little card they give you ?
                    Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    All I know is we have a parking pass with the tickets so that works for us! Just took a look and we are in the Beacon St. garage 2? Anyway...it's all free so we'll take advantage!
                    Not sure if the football pass works Ray... does it hang on your front mirror? If so I imagine it does. The little card we get for concessions doesn't work for the garage.

Curious how you got the pass Ref? Did BC send it when you purchased the tickets? That's the only way to get into Beacon Garage, with a pass. It's the best place to park because police stop traffic and let the garage empty for long stretches after the game. The entrance at Beacon Garage is also where handicap parking is located, so either pass gets you in.
                    'Eavesdropped the BC forum in USCHO. A range of intellects over there. Mostly gentlemen, but a couple of coarse imbeciles' - academic_index, a Brown fan

Comment

Not sure if the football pass works Ray... does it hang on your front mirror? If so I imagine it does. The little card we get for concessions doesn't work for the garage.

Curious how you got the pass Ref? Did BC send it when you purchased the tickets? That's the only way to get into Beacon Garage, with a pass. It's the best place to park because police stop traffic and let the garage empty for long stretches after the game. The entrance at Beacon Garage is also where handicap parking is located, so either pass gets you in.
                      The football pass hangs on my front mirror. The only way you get this pass is to make a donation to the Flynn Fund.
                      NCAA Champs 2012, 2010, 2008, 2001, 1949, Hockey East Tourney Champs 2012 #11, Beanpot Champs 2016

Boston Red Sox 2004, 2007, 2013 Champs

Comment

A high school friend of mine went to college there and has had season tix forever...they can't go to the UNH game and he knows I'm an avid fan from my facebook posts so he offered them to me...I was pleasantly surprised to get the parking pass with the tix...
                        Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by Aerman View Post
                          I think Gildon may just be a little TOO confident when the puck is on his stick. Nothing we didn't see all of DeSimone's career. Hopefully he figures it out shortly.
                          I don't mean to be 'judge, jury, executioner' about this...Max IS a most gifted hockey player. Of course I don't have any Phil D references! Players are going to make mistakes, and at that level, they surely know them, and, have to own them, and I'm sure he understands that. Poking around going to Yale. Yep, I am crazy. (but you knew that...)
                          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

I don't mean to be 'judge, jury, executioner' about this...Max IS a most gifted hockey player. Of course I don't have any Phil D references! Players are going to make mistakes, and at that level, they surely know them, and, have to own them, and I'm sure he understands that. Poking around going to Yale. Yep, I am crazy. (but you knew that...)
                            It was certainly a better option when they initially had it as a 4:00 game. This one begs an overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by After the Whistle View Post
                              It was certainly a better option when they initially had it as a 4:00 game. This one begs an overnight.
                              Yeah, and I don't really have a problem with that...but it's the next day on Sunday coming back with all of that traffic heading East from New Haven. Have to get up pretty early to avoid it. Didn't know it was originally a 4:00 start...that is more doable. It's about 4 hrs. from here with no stops. Cheaper just to stay home and watch from whatever feed Yale offers. Still...
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Yeah, and I don't really have a problem with that...but it's the next day on Sunday coming back with all of that traffic heading East from New Haven. Have to get up pretty early to avoid it. Didn't know it was originally a 4:00 start...that is more doable. It's about 4 hrs. from here with no stops. Cheaper just to stay home and watch from whatever feed Yale offers. Still...
                                You'll be there. New venue for you, only game that week, yeah you will be there. It will be so fun when they win! Somethings you just gotta do.

Comment

Working...
                                X