Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Hey, our heroes have been partying in the clubhouse for over a week, drinking Tab, or whatever. Time to get out of the clubhouse and hit the back nine. :-)
    ...not to mention to keep the thread title somewhat viable! On another note, I did see this pic last week and wondered what brought them to the U; a camp? Hope everyone's enjoying the summer.
    I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Sorry, folks ... been vacationing and also in the midst of coaching summer league, which winds down in the next week or two. Also doing a fair share of reading, including what I'd argue was the football-related non-fiction precursor to Slapshot. Figured it might make sense to stop at the turn, and hoping to resume later this month.

While I'm here though ... it's hard not to on the over-the-top local media reaction to the "drug-infested den" comments from the POTUS, especially when the State's top media outlet has been breathlessly running their daily "State of Addiction" feature on their telecasts for well over a year now. Even my MA friends/colleagues who see these reports ask me, "Is it really that bad?" When this is how you (and specifically WMUR-TV) portray yourself to others ... how can you be "surprised" (much less *offended*) when this is the conclusion outsiders come to, without living here on a day-to-day basis?

No, of course it's really not that bad ... but if this is what the media focuses on (daily), then let's ask them if just *maybe* the amount of coverage being assigned to this issue is being overplayed? If I wasn't from here, and I watched WMUR for a few days, I'd come to the conclusions (1) this IS a "drug-infested den", and (2) puppy adoptions are the second biggest continuing statewide issue. Really silly.

Grow up, everyone (especially you way-too-shallow folks on South Commercial St.). JMHO.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
        Sorry, folks ... been vacationing and also in the midst of coaching summer league, which winds down in the next week or two. Also doing a fair share of reading, including what I'd argue was the football-related non-fiction precursor to Slapshot. Figured it might make sense to stop at the turn, and hoping to resume later this month.

While I'm here though ... it's hard not to on the over-the-top local media reaction to the "drug-infested den" comments from the POTUS, especially when the State's top media outlet has been breathlessly running their daily "State of Addiction" feature on their telecasts for well over a year now. Even my MA friends/colleagues who see these reports ask me, "Is it really that bad?" When this is how you (and specifically WMUR-TV) portray yourself to others ... how can you be "surprised" (much less *offended*) when this is the conclusion outsiders come to, without living here on a day-to-day basis?

No, of course it's really not that bad ... but if this is what the media focuses on (daily), then let's ask them if just *maybe* the amount of coverage being assigned to this issue is being overplayed? If I wasn't from here, and I watched WMUR for a few days, I'd come to the conclusions (1) this IS a "drug-infested den", and (2) puppy adoptions are the second biggest continuing statewide issue. Really silly.

Grow up, everyone (especially you way-too-shallow folks on South Commercial St.). JMHO.
        Well Chuck, one thing I'll say about this without getting my liberal dander up is the comment doesn't exactly make NH look like a fun vacation spot now does it? That being said, we DO have an opioid problem that is no big secret. It's kind of like a q I sometimes get being a health teacher "do you have a drug problem at your school" and the typical answer might be "yeah, but it's no worse than anywhere else". Guess what? It's pretty bad "everywhere else" sooooo..... Anyway, facts are facts and yes, NH has a drug problem. Like everywhere else. Poor choice of words from the Prez but then that's nothing new. Ha! And that's all I have to say 'bout that. (in my best Forrest Gump voice).

Hungry for some hockey news....2 months away from the start of the season! Looking at the schedule yesterday I took note of our 'gang buster start' with UML. That will be interesting. Ready to purchase tix to the Tsongas when they come out. I see football/soccer have started, hockey not far behind! (and my school year, #38 groans)
        I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
          Well Chuck, one thing I'll say about this without getting my liberal dander up is the comment doesn't exactly make NH look like a fun vacation spot now does it? That being said, we DO have an opioid problem that is no big secret. It's kind of like a q I sometimes get being a health teacher "do you have a drug problem at your school" and the typical answer might be "yeah, but it's no worse than anywhere else". Guess what? It's pretty bad "everywhere else" sooooo..... Anyway, facts are facts and yes, NH has a drug problem. Like everywhere else. Poor choice of words from the Prez but then that's nothing new. Ha! And that's all I have to say 'bout that. (in my best Forrest Gump voice).
          Fair take on the situation here, as it is in many other parts of New England, and the Northeast in general.

But my point here is, when the only major in-state TV outlet has been running a daily "State of Addiction" series for well over a year now, and then acts all aghast when an outsider picks up the major theme of what they've deemed newsworthy to the highest degree ... well, that feels a little bit like hypocrisy to me. I know it's not Channel 9's job to pump up the tourism industry in the North Country, but to act all surprised and indignant about this quip is a little rich for my liking. "We have met the enemy, and he is us" comes to mind. Not that I'm surprised anymore that our local ABC affiliate has fallen into line with the rest of the left-leaning mainstream media.

I promise I'll eventually get back on topic, but as you can imagine, this stuff just hit me the wrong way ...

Comment

2nd worst per capita OD rate in the nation, nominal and age-adjusted. Double my little alter hamlet of D.C.

Worst? WVA, by far. But when we are comparing ourselves to WVA, "Concord, we have a problem."

Oh, and consistently, over the last 3 years, with the one of the worst growth rates in OD's.

While it was awful to hear Trump's words and see the media flip-out, we gotta get something done here.
            Signature line intentionally left blank.

Comment

Written by Pete Gent? Or a different book?
              UNH Hockey: From "Why Not Us' to "Woe is Us"

Comment

Originally posted by Felger View Post
                Written by Pete Gent? Or a different book?
                No, not North Dallas 40, Felgie. That's more of a Ball Four (by Jim Bouton) comparison at the major league level. This was an under-the-radar classic I stumbled across from the days of my youth, while going through a lot of NFL Films stuff on youtube. On the epilogue as we speak, so I'll share early next week if all goes to plan.

Comment

As the excitement builds for Coach Umile's final chase for the elusive NCAA championship, and the suspense about whether he can walk out like the Champion that he is (like Dick Vermeil), the question is how far this team can take him into the HE and NCAA tourneys. While they have another month of golfing before turning attention to hockey, we await the details of the victory tour -- will there be rocking chair presentations? Will there be a Dick Umile boblehead doll so we can keep him in our hearts (or on our mantle)? A "mission accomplished" banner? Will the other Coaches that he vanquished, the Jackie Parkers and Red Berensons, come to his final NCAA game? Will he do a victory skate around the rink shaking hands like Cal Ripken? Will Waste Management give him lifetime trash removal?

Or do we have more modest expectations? To quote Marty Scarano: "Coach Umile and I spoke about how this next season will be spent continuing the effort to rebuild UNH hockey into a national caliber program that competes in the NCAA tournament and the Frozen Four. That has been, and always will be, our aspiration. We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here changing the culture in recruiting and gaining more invaluable experience to become the 14th head coach of UNH hockey at the completion of the 2017-18 season."

Will UNH have a giveaway, to the winner of a short essay contest among fans, who explain how the 68 year old helped "rebuild" in his final season the last six years of destruction, or why Mike Souza needed to "change the culture" that Umile had overseen since 2011?
                  Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-09-2017, 10:09 AM.
                  The Souza record:
                  15-16 10th place
                  16-17 10th place
                  17-18 11th place
                  18-19 8th place
                  19-20 9th place
                  20-21 10th place
                  21-22 9th place
                  22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                    As the excitement builds for Coach Umile's final chase for the elusive NCAA championship, and the suspense about whether he can walk out like the Champion that he is (like Dick Vermeil), the question is how far this team can take him into the HE and NCAA tourneys. While they have another month of golfing before turning attention to hockey, we await the details of the victory tour -- will there be rocking chair presentations? Will there be a Dick Umile boblehead doll so we can keep him in our hearts (or on our mantle)? A "mission accomplished" banner? Will the other Coaches that he vanquished, the Jackie Parkers and Red Berensons, come to his final NCAA game? Will he do a victory skate around the rink shaking hands like Cal Ripken? Will Waste Management give him lifetime trash removal?

Or do we have more modest expectations? To quote Marty Scarano: "Coach Umile and I spoke about how this next season will be spent continuing the effort to rebuild UNH hockey into a national caliber program that competes in the NCAA tournament and the Frozen Four. That has been, and always will be, our aspiration. We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here changing the culture in recruiting and gaining more invaluable experience to become the 14th head coach of UNH hockey at the completion of the 2017-18 season."

Will UNH have a giveaway, to the winner of a short essay contest among fans, who explain how the 68 year old helped "rebuild" in his final season the last six years of destruction, or why Mike Souza needed to "change the culture" that Umile had overseen since 2011?
                    He's certainly changed the pace and tempo with which they actually land commitments...
                    Live Free or Die!!
                    Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                      As the excitement builds for Coach Umile's final chase for the elusive NCAA championship, and the suspense about whether he can walk out like the Champion that he is (like Dick Vermeil) ...
                      Stop, 'watcher, please - as the kids might text ... "OMG!!" The vision of Coach Umile bawling his eyes out into BS35+5's lapel after taking the long-awaited D-1 Frozen Four title to Durham for the first time ... wow, talk about improbable cubed, to the nth degree squared. Just the Vermeil public weeping part alone ... man, the odds on that are just infinitesimally microscopic. Makes the rest of the "longshot of all longshots" thing sound almost plausible by comparison.

IF that all happens - including the goodbye tears into the AD's lapel in early April 2018 in St. Paul MN - I'll celebrate on Opening Night '18 at The Whitt by walking out to center ice, burning my (museum-quality) Expos' cap ingesting its smoldering ashes, and then bend over and toot "Black Betty" out my backside into the arena PA.*

The truly sad thing about all of this is that only about a dozen NH residents west of Rte. 125 (and that includes snively65 & HR) could even pick Coach out of a police line-up at this point of his career ("Hey Dad, I didn't know UNH even had a hockey team?!?" "Don't worry, Son, Dad's got us tickets to see the Monarchs against the Swamp Rabbits instead!!" "Wow, thanks Pops!!"), much less have any awareness he is retiring, notwithstanding growing national suspense over the outcome of The Quest and all ...

* - not that it's ever gonna happen, mind you ... but if it does, I reserve the right to do this after the game, when everyone else has left the place.

Comment

... "Don't worry, Son, Dad's got us tickets to see the Monarchs against the Swamp Rabbits instead!!"...
                        http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendan....php?tmi=11624
                        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Thanks, Darius. But, need the AHL Monarchs attendance record to put their deplorable past two years ECHL record in perspective (although Mahty [BS35+5?] might be envious of these numbers). I would post the hockeydb link, but I am too dumb to know how to upload with my iPhone. So, I will try to summarize: 2001-02, their first year, average 8199; 2003-04, their max, 9140; 2009-10, their min, 5293; 2014-15, the last year and when they won the AHL championship(?), 5621.

Comment

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
                            Thanks, Darius. But, need the AHL Monarchs attendance record to put their deplorable past two years ECHL record in perspective (although Mahty [BS35+5?] might be envious of these numbers). I would post the hockeydb link, but I am too dumb to know how to upload with my iPhone. So, I will try to summarize: 2001-02, their first year, average 8199; 2003-04, their max, 9140; 2009-10, their min, 5293; 2014-15, the last year and when they won the AHL championship(?), 5621.
                            It's as simple as "Once upon a time, not all that long ago, UNH Hockey was the highest profile in-state hockey product (*ack* - I hate that word), but certain folks who were counted upon to make the big decisions in Durham decided it wasn't worth their time or effort to continue to actively market their program beyond a very tight Oyster River-centric radius. Which of course left the more distant UNH Hockey community feeling a little bit unwanted, and made it so much easier for them to make the shorter trip to ManchVegas instead".

So now when the self-pronounced, so-called "Kings of NH Hockey" dump on their Calder Cup fanbase while getting busted down to goon level hockey (ECHL) ... do we see our very same, powerful (and well-paid) UNH decision-makers leaping at the opportunity to regain their previously-abandoned extended UNH fanbase? Is the Pope Protestant? Will the world come to a premature end next Monday due to the eclipse??

I mean, listen, I get it, there's no place to put those overflow crowds at The Whitt anymore, right?

God, those discussions about the season ticket wait list and expanding The Whitt, hard to believe those actually happened on here ...

Comment

I just looked over the schedule for the upcoming season and came up with what I think will be their record this year.

OVERALL RECORD
                              15-14-5

OOC
                              8-2-0

HOCKEY EAST
                              7-12-5
                              10th place regular season
                              Bounced in first round of HE playoffs

Anybody else have a feeling on this season?
                              Last edited by scoreboard; 08-18-2017, 02:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                                I just looked over the schedule for the upcoming season and came up with what I think will be their record this year.

OVERALL RECORD
                                15-14-5

OOC
                                8-2-0

HOCKEY EAST
                                7-12-5
                                10th place regular season
                                Bounced in first round of HE playoffs

Anybody else have a feeling on this season?
                                Sounds like you are predicting that DU reaches the NRR right on the nose?

Comment

Working...
                                X