Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: UNH Wildcats-The Back Nine and Beyond!

Originally posted by Snively65 View Post
    Sounds like you are predicting that DU reaches the NRR right on the nose?
    I believe Coach needs 14 more W's to get to the NRN.

I dunno, but scoreboard's predicted OOC record seems a mite optimistic, given that the program hasn't done quite that well these last two seasons against cupcake-laden OOC schedules. IF Coach is going to get to the NRN, I still have this sneaking suspicion it's not going to happen until the MBPBEGAM "playoffs" roll around. White knuckle, edge-of-your-seat, seat of the pants, right down to the wire stuff. Must-see Umile TV.
    Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
    Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post

I dunno, but scoreboard's predicted OOC record seems a mite optimistic, given that the program hasn't done quite that well these last two seasons against cupcake-laden OOC schedules. IF Coach is going to get to the NRN, I still have this sneaking suspicion it's not going to happen until the MBPBEGAM "playoffs" roll around. White knuckle, edge-of-your-seat, seat of the pants, right down to the wire stuff. Must-see Umile TV.
      If through some kind of miracle, our Cats scratch and snarl their way to a regular season eighth place finish (ahead of Yukon, Maine, and UMass; I know, highly improbable), maybe BS35+5 will reward the STH's with a 10% discount for the MBPBEGAM games at the Whitt? Of course, as a non-STH and senior, I would get a much better deal, and likely go to a couple of those games, to see UNH coaching history being made.
      Last edited by Snively65; 08-20-2017, 09:47 AM.

Comment

You are right. My 8-2 OOC record is optimistic. I have a funny feeling that it will be more like 6-4. I just think it really should be 8-2. Won't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Comment

Beware of ties this season. As far as The Quest for the NRN is concerned, a tie is as good as a loss. The only redeeming feature of a tie this season is it *might* help to secure home ice and/or a more favorable pairing for the MBPBEGAM "playoffs", and hence provide our protagonist with more chances (if necessary) to attain the NRN.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it ...
          Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
          Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Beware of ties this season. As far as The Quest for the NRN is concerned, a tie is as good as a loss. The only redeeming feature of a tie this season is it *might* help to secure home ice and/or a more favorable pairing for the MBPBEGAM "playoffs", and hence provide our protagonist with more chances (if necessary) to attain the NRN.

I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it ...
            Do you think that we will see Ty Rone getting pulled for an extra attacker in a lot of tie games, especially during the second half of the season?

Comment

Do you think that we will see Ty Rone getting pulled for an extra attacker in a lot of tie games, especially during the second half of the season?
              Only if he wants to haha. Heading to the eclipse epicenter in Columbia SC!!!
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Well, this is just working out exactly as Dick and Marty envisioned isn't it? Looks like they were finally able to teach the young, inexperienced lad something about coaching at UNH in the 20teens! How to ignore recruiting and most specifically your top recruits in order to ensure your best don't end up on campus and you end up with low end talent. The UNH way as of late! I'm certainly glad Umile stuck around the past three years - and especially this last season - to instil this traditional value in Mike...
                Apparently it is:
                “Coach Umile’s return to complete the third season of his contract and the transition of Mike Souza to head coach is what we set out to accomplish three years ago,” UNH athletic director Marty Scarano said in a statement. “Mike will definitively become the 14th head coach of UNH hockey at the completion of the 2017-18 season.” We are fortunate to have Mike Souza here already changing the culture in recruiting, and he will hit the ground running at the conclusion of next year.”
                I think we now see Mike's general philosophy:
                Souza said, “but when you work at a place and played at a place with a long-standing tradition like UNH has, you speak from the heart and that resonates with families.”
                Maybe not.

Own it Marty.

Originally posted by bomberhockey View Post
                05-30-2015
                Big changes coming to UNH. Careful what you wish for!!

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                06-05-2015, 01:33 PM #873
                I would be surprised if either of these two are the presumptive successors. Hopefully they make it an easy choice, but lets look: Souza has [only] been coaching since 2011, and Stewart has not established his chops at a top 5 HE program. Depending on when Umile decides to walk away, we might have a better idea, but I would expect them to look outside the current assistants.
                Originally posted by Greg A View Post
                Lot of speculation here in terms of when Umile will retire but, assuming he does so within the next 2-3 years, the job opening will not come with a lack of applicants. The big question is how many will be D1 coaches, how many will be hot shot assistants, and how many will come from other levels of hockey (juniors, prep, etc.). And what will be the weeding out process? Will it be more the top level applicants looking at the pay scale, the amenities for athletes, the support in the classroom, etc. and figure out it is not worth it? Or will UNH have to look at the group of applicants an realize that the real creme de la creme is just not interested. I don't think it will come to that but I do think the next couple of years are big for UNH, to be seen again as a program on the rise rather than just floundering around.
                I'd like to think Coach Umile had/has the foresight and good sense to level with both of these guys (Stewart, and presumably Souza) and tell them they have a great opportunity BUT there can be no guarantees regarding either being a successor. These guys are all going to have to cooperate, because if they don't (1) the program at their alma mater will suffer from it, and (2) that will show neither of them is made of the right stuff to step into the big job. IF promises have been made - and I doubt very much any have been - I frankly don't see any reason or justification for one. Neither has been a head coach anywhere before, so no one has "stepped down" (or arguably even taken a lateral step) to accept their UNH position.
                Never underestimate Dick's foresight and good sense!

Souza announced as successor
                I can't believe that this is true, that when the hiring of Souza is announced, it will also be announced that Umile will be retiring the year after next, to be replaced with someone with a record that is as thin as Souza's is. Mind you, I think Mike is a great guy, at least he was in all the interactions I had with him back when he was a player. And I do think he is an earnest, hard working, up-and-comer. But to think that he would be anointed the new coach would be mind boggling to me. It would lead me to ask Marty Scarano, what happened to the notion that you would only hire someone with Division 1 head coach experience? If Umile was going to designate someone as his successor, why wouldn't it be the man who has been his chief recruiter for the last 12 years rather than someone who is just establishing himself. Just doesn't make any sense.
                Originally posted by Felger View Post
                I can't argue with anything you say Greg.
                As I said before, Umile announcing his retirement and naming as his successor an assistant at three different D1 schools, none of which have had any level of success, would fly in the face of what I always thought would be a search focused on head coaches with D1 coaching experience. Again, it would be mind boggling.
                Pretty much agree, and strongly agree with the part in bold.
                Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-23-2017, 10:50 AM.
                The Souza record:
                15-16 10th place
                16-17 10th place
                17-18 11th place
                18-19 8th place
                19-20 9th place
                20-21 10th place
                21-22 9th place
                22-23 10th place

Comment

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
                  Own it Marty.
                  Sure seems like everyone saw this disaster coming except for those closest to the program. Hard to argue with any of it, except for Bomber's warning. Recruiting getting worse was always a risk, perhaps expected once the hire was made - we'll see if UNH's current coaches are willing to change/work to improve recruiting practices or if UNH's admin is willing to make the hard decisions if eventually necessary. I have serious doubts...

As for Borek, I doubt the future would be any better if he stayed. As of this week, he is ahead of schedule at Providence and is already at the Bourque, White and Reid stage of the downswing. Replacing Borek was a good move. Making a questionable hire and letting Umile dictate his own departure/replacement was a less good move...
                  Last edited by Dan; 08-23-2017, 10:57 AM.
                  Live Free or Die!!
                  Miami University '03

Comment

Originally posted by Dan View Post
                    Sure seems like everyone saw this disaster coming except for those closest to the program. Hard to argue with any of it, except for Bomber's warning. Recruiting getting worse was always a risk, perhaps expected once the hire was made - we'll see if UNH's current coaches are willing to change/work to improve recruiting practices or if UNH's admin is willing to make the hard decisions if eventually necessary. I have serious doubts...
                    Marty has shown himself incompetent throughtout the process (and in the women's fast track into oblivion). Unlike his apparent hiring process, I tend to look at track records.

As for Borek, I doubt the future would be any better if he stayed. As of this week, he is ahead of schedule at Providence and is already at the Bourque, White and Reid stage of the downswing. Replacing Borek was a good move. Making a questionable hire and letting Umile dictate his own departure/replacement was a less good move...
                    While you and I share a view about Borek's overall rank (though mine has shifted to slightly more favorable once I saw the effect of the anchor on recruiting), his results are still well above UNH. He lost two impact kids to the OHL, but still has three other kids among the top 42 USA prospects:

http://www.ushl.com/news_article/sho...rer_id=2650688

I see 4 BU; 1 BC; 1 Northeastern; 3 Harvard.

Still scanning the list to find the UNH kids.... I'll get back to you on that.
                    Last edited by NCAA watcher; 08-23-2017, 11:36 AM.
                    The Souza record:
                    15-16 10th place
                    16-17 10th place
                    17-18 11th place
                    18-19 8th place
                    19-20 9th place
                    20-21 10th place
                    21-22 9th place
                    22-23 10th place

Comment

Not to change the subject........but....did any other season ticket holders receive this e-mail from Jon Danos?

Dear valued Season Ticket Member,

Your feedback is always important to us, and many of you have indicated that game day parking is a necessary
                      area for improvement. As a result, we̢۪re pleased to announce two new options exclusive to our men̢۪s hockey
                      season ticket members:

1. Starting 90 minutes prior to each game, the front portion of Lot A (located closest to the Whitt̢۪s pedestrian access)
                      will be accessible only to Season Ticket Members. Parking is offered on first-come, first-served basis in this section
                      and will be based on available capacity until one hour after the start of the game. Additionally, UNH will provide easy
                      exiting capabilities from this lot, so you will have direct access to Main Street.
                      2. The second option includes paid parking at the Strafford Lot, located in close proximity to the Whitt. THERE IS A VERY
                      LIMITED SUPPLY OF THESE SPACES, which are available to season ticket members only for $10 per game on the day of
                      the game. Exclusive access to the Strafford Lot will begin 90 minutes prior to the game until one hour after the start of
                      the game, pending availability. Season Ticket Members arriving to Strafford Lot after it̢۪s filled to capacity will be redirected
                      to park elsewhere.

Please review the map below for your reference. Both A Lot and Strafford Lot will be managed by Athletics personnel, and you will
                      be required to present your 2017-18 UNH Hockey Season Ticket Member card to the attendant(s) in order to gain admittance to these
                      controlled lots.

We hope these operational improvements will enhance your game day experience and offer a new level of convenience. Any questions
                      can be directed to Ciaran Cullen at 603-862-0287 or ciaran.cullen@unh.edu.
                      Bear in mind, the Strafford lot (across from the former New England Center) has been a FREE PARKING lot on game night since I can remember. Now, season ticket holders will be forking over $10 for the "privilege" of parking in the Strafford lot to "enhance their game day experience". Or, you can hustle your butts over to "A" lot and try and grab one of "open spaces" in the front of the lot near the sidewalk (free, for now anyway ) provided such spaces will even be available come game time.

I get it. Parking for events at UNH (and probably at most other schools) sucks. I know that this a noble gesture on the adminstration's part to try and rectify the situation with the ever-dwindling supply of season-ticket holders, but IMO, they're going about the wrong way....and I can imagine plenty of PO'd fans showing up for the first game expecting free parking in Strafford lot only to be turned away. And no, you HAVE to be a season ticket holder AND pay 10 bucks to park there. Not a season ticket holder? Enjoy the frozen tundra trek across the expanses of "A" lot.

Can someone tell me why I decided to renew again??
                      UNH

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                        Not to change the subject........but....did any other season ticket holders receive this e-mail from Jon Danos?

Bear in mind, the Strafford lot (across from the former New England Center) has been a FREE PARKING lot on game night since I can remember. Now, season ticket holders will be forking over $10 for the "privilege" of parking in the Strafford lot to "enhance their game day experience". Or, you can hustle your butts over to "A" lot and try and grab one of "open spaces" in the front of the lot near the sidewalk (free, for now anyway ) provided such spaces will even be available come game time.

I get it. Parking for events at UNH (and probably at most other schools) sucks. I know that this a noble gesture on the adminstration's part to try and rectify the situation with the ever-dwindling supply of season-ticket holders, but IMO, they're going about the wrong way....and I can imagine plenty of PO'd fans showing up for the first game expecting free parking in Strafford lot only to be turned away. And no, you HAVE to be a season ticket holder AND pay 10 bucks to park there. Not a season ticket holder? Enjoy the frozen tundra trek across the expanses of "A" lot.

Can someone tell me why I decided to renew again??
                        Yes Scott I received the email as well. Ridiculous; I never park in A lot; always in the Strafford but I'll be darned if I'm forking over 10.00 to park there now!!! That adds an extra 180.00 (excluding playoffs) to my "fan experience". Right.

Comment

Back to Swillings for me, I guess, or the Green Houses. Will stick with my half price seniors tickets on a game by game basis.

Other option to attend more PSU Tigers games looking increasingly more attractive to me.
                          Last edited by Snively65; 08-24-2017, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Back to Swillings for me, I guess, or the Green Houses. Will stick with my half price seniors tickets on a game by game basis.

Other option to attend more PSU Tigers games looking increasingly more attractive to me.
                            Am def going to catch up to those PSU games for 5 bucks AND free parking!! Let me know and we'll pregame at Biedermans 😉

Comment

Staunch defender of UNH that I am, the $10 Strafford lot parking privilege for season ticket holders is tone deaf.
                              I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
                                Staunch defender of UNH that I am, the $10 Strafford lot parking privilege for season ticket holders is tone deaf.
                                Can't imagine the backup on the street heading into the lot; traffic coming from both sides but I imagine the genius' at the U have figured that out. What about the spaces on the street?

Comment

Working...
                                X