X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post

But I feel Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers/Abbey Road in terms of the craftsmanship, recordings and tbh the experimentation are gold standard albums.

Agreed 100% I'd throw in the White Album too.

The first time I listened to Abbey Road... especially side 2...

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      Beatles are the most overrated band in history right after journey.

The difference is the Beatles are still head and shoulders above everyone else and journey is barely music.
      You forgot to put Nirvana and Led ahead of Journey in over-rated-ness.

Personally, I think the Journey hype is tongue-in-cheek. It's uber-cheesy 80s suck-rock, one of the ultimate guilty pleasure bands, and so everyone just runs with the bit.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
        Zep isn't overrated.

He forgot Aerosmith.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Personally, I think the Journey hype is tongue-in-cheek. It's uber-cheesy 80s suck-rock, one of the ultimate guilty pleasure bands, and so everyone just runs with the bit.
          Agreed. Journey is what if the Eagles became self-aware.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Zep isn't overrated.

He forgot Aerosmith.
            They are in line with the Beatles, IMO. Legendary, but not AS legendary. I can definitely agree on Aerosmith.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Agreed. Journey is what if the Eagles became self-aware.
              That....is well-put. Hell, throw Bon Jovi (group and solo career) into that mix.

Comment

Aerosmith is third tier at best.

Who thinks Aerosmith is one of the all timers?

And I'm a fan... but please.

Journey is 4th or 5th tier at best.

Can of worms opened...

Comment

Journey belongs at the International Bazaar Stage at the Minnesota State Fair. They aren't even fifth tier.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    Journey belongs at the International Bazaar Stage at the Minnesota State Fair. They aren't even fifth tier.
                    The way you guys prize your fair, that seems like quite an honor.

Journey in their prime - like them or not - was... well... never mind...

I can't defend Journey even if I liked them as a 12 year old.

I liked Neal Schon.

Steve Perry should be throttled mid wail though. I hate hm.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      Aerosmith is third tier at best.

Who thinks Aerosmith is one of the all timers?

And I'm a fan... but please.

Journey is 4th or 5th tier at best.

Can of worms opened...
                      Define the tiers. There's the first step. I like where this is headed, though.

Comment

If it's a pantheon, who do you put on top if not the Beatles?

To be honest, I've never actually thought about this in defined terms. I intuitively know who I think are the best of all time and I also feel like there are tiers or groupings or levels based upon talent, creativity, popularity and influence.
                        Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-29-2017, 12:17 AM.

Comment

They are in line with the Beatles, IMO. Legendary, but not AS legendary. I can definitely agree on Aerosmith.
                          How are the Beatles not the most legendary act of all time? It's not even up for debate. You may not like their music (even I hardly listen to their first 2 records) but they are without question the most legendary act of all time. I don't listen to Michael Jackson outside of a handful of his songs but I would never be stupid enough to argue he was overrated. I will never have any desire to watch the shows Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy nor Breaking Bad but could I logically argue they're overrated? I'll never try.

By the way the Beatles are not even my favorite band of all time so this isn't me being defensive. I could name several bands/artists off the top of my head (The Replacements, REM, The Cure, Foo Fighters, Prince, BRMC, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead...) ahead of the Beatles on my favorites list.

This is an argument based upon logic and even more so principal. As far as craftsmanship, sphere of influence, innovation, creativity, experimentation, tenure, record sales, impact, popularity, world-wide exposure and any other measuring stick except rapping prowess you want to name they are untouchable and to argue otherwise makes a person sound foolish.
                          Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-29-2017, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Nirvana wouldn't even be a footnote in rock history without Dave Grohl. His drumming, Butch Vig's glossy production of Nevermind, and Geffen's perfect release timing, made Kurt's otherwise average and abrasive songwriting into a multi-platinum juggernaut. I actually prefer In Utero and Bleach. I feel like those are the "real" Nirvana that Kurt wanted.

Early Zep is cromulent, but bland proto-cock rock. They didn't start to get interesting until ZoSo/Zep IV, and peaked at Physical Graffiti.

Aerosmith has one good album (Toys in the Attic), one really good album (Rocks), and then a lot of pick-and-choose filler on each end of their 70s heyday. When they sobered up and reunited in the 80s, and started hiring songwriters, they became awful, though I'll admit "Janie's Got a Gun" and "Cryin'" are massive guilty pleasures of mine.

That....is well-put. Hell, throw Bon Jovi (group and solo career) into that mix.
                            I always thought of Bon Jovi as the self-aware Bryan Adams, who is himself, the self-aware Don Henley. So, there's your tree of 80s singer-songwriter pablum, extrapolated out by artist, and in descending order of entertainment value.

Much as I love "Dirty Laundry" for being 30 years ahead of its time, I swear if I have to hear "Sunset Grill" or "Boys of Summer" one more time this year, I am going to choke someone.
                            Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-29-2017, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                              How are the Beatles not the most legendary act of all time? It's not even up for debate. You may not like their music (even I hardly listen to their first 2 records) but they are without question the most legendary act of all time. I don't listen to Michael Jackson outside of a handful of his songs but I would never be stupid enough to argue he was overrated. I will never have any desire to watch the shows Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy nor Breaking Bad but could I logically argue they're overrated? I'll never try.

By the way the Beatles are not even my favorite band of all time so this isn't me being defensive. I could name several bands/artists off the top of my head (The Replacements, REM, The Cure, Foo Fighters, Prince, BRMC, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead...) ahead of the Beatles on my favorites list.

This is an argument based upon logic and even more so principal. As far as craftsmanship, sphere of influence, innovation, creativity, experimentation, tenure, record sales, impact, popularity, world-wide exposure and any other measuring stick except rapping prowess you want to name they are untouchable and to argue otherwise makes a person sound foolish.
                              I *like* the Beatles quite a bit. This isn't about my personal tastes at all. One minor quibble in your list, though: record sales. Just because they sold millions and millions of records doesn't qualify them as being good. See: Justin Beiber.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                If it's a pantheon, who do you put on top if not the Beatles?
                                You have to bound a pantheon by the audience. The Beatles are far and away #1 -- for white American and European boomers.

Right now there is probably some Korean or Chinese act that neither you nor I have ever heard of who has reached 10x the number of people currently alive as the Beatles. And in fifty years the Beatles will be to even white Americans and Europeans yet unborn what, say, Louis Armstrong is to us -- most people have heard of them, most musically savvy people know you always have to mention them as iconic, and they probably have influential roots you aren't aware of, but... their time is over and they are now just another monument to the dead.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X