X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    The definitive equivalency statement between the 80s and Target.
    Bad link or my office doesn't like it for some reason.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      Bad link or my office doesn't like it for some reason.
      Youtube video. Maybe Jennifer Connelly's hotness melted your server.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

The definitive equivalency statement between the 80s and Target.
        I died laughing when Connelly was riding the electric pony. There's something to be said for self-deprecating, tongue-in-cheek humor that is still ridiculously hot.

Comment

I had never heard of this band until last Wednesday and I have now hit about a dozen independent references to them.

The name sounds like the best possible parody of a twee-fi cuddlecore grad school band.
          They're named after an event or chapter in Don Delillo's book White Noise.😀
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

And the lead singer may have a slight problem with alcohol

Was at their last concert before they took an extended break (they played a few shows in March after over a year off). He was an incredible mess, could barely stand, didn't know the lyrics to his songs, was playing guitar way behind the rest of the band, and chatted up the crowd between songs twice in a row with the same chat. The other two times I've seen them they were great, so here's to sobriety! I'm in the video for Wrong (barely).

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
              I don't get the hate for The Doors or James Taylor at all.
              Pen|ses

That might be the worst Jezebel article I've ever read.
              Code:
              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
              Originally posted by SanTropez
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
              Originally posted by Kepler
              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

The Beatles are the most overrated band in history....

You could repeat this nonsense another 500 times and it wouldn't make it any less full of s##t.

Now go watch The Bachelorette.

Comment

My issue with the Beatles stems from their lack of a concert history.

Incredibly creative and innovative in the studio, but I prize the live experience so much when it comes to music that they seem somehow incomplete as a rock band.

I don't believe they are overrated though. Single most influential band ever - duh.

If you charted a tree of influence from them, it would be staggering in size.

Anyway... getting the Led out this fine morning by listening to the re-masters set (which one? ) of all of their albooms on shuffle.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    You could repeat this nonsense another 500 times and it wouldn't make it any less full of s##t.

Now go watch The Bachelorette.
                    Unsatisfying meet Rachel's family episode, BTW, except the revelation that her sister is hot and the mystery of where's pops?

The Beatles are wildly overrated because they are the externalized ego of the Boomers, and the Boomers' self-absorption is staggering. Once the Boomers are dead, the Beatles will be evaluated correctly as one of a small number of highly influential acts during the corporate album phase of rock. Their predominance over the last few decades reflects the general dominance of the Boomers over all aspects of our cultural life, but it's coming to an end.

The Beatles are what Elvis was before and MJ was after: a dynamo powered by both quality and hype that blew them up to something many, many times their actual size. All three of those cultural phenomena had integrity in itself but all three were also amplified by commercial forces that had nothing to do with music -- in that aspect they were hula hoops.

People will still remember all of their music and remember them as Great in a hundred years, but they will remember them as on par with Benny Goodman or Bing Crosby or Frank Sinatra.

I don't know why that makes some people defensive. It's very good company.
                    Cornell University
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                      My issue with the Beatles stems from their lack of a concert history.
                      To be fair, that wasn't really their fault. Their stadium concerts were, allegedly, impossible logistically. People just wouldn't shut up. They were more like pass political rallies.
                      Cornell University

Comment

To be fair, that wasn't really their fault. Their stadium concerts were, allegedly, impossible logistically. People just wouldn't shut up. They were more like pass political rallies.

I'm certainly not casting fault.

Just making an observation and fault or no fault, they didn't tour.

Makes them less than what they could have been in my eyes.

I'm not at all defensive about the Beatles. I went through a phase of discovery in college (regarding the Beatles... ) and listened to them a lot and absorbed them into my musical conscience.

Since then I've barely listened to them and years go by now without me choosing to hear them.

Still respect what I discovered though and see/hear their influence in much of what I actually listen to.

Comment

The Beatles are overrated. Are they still legendary? Yes. Just not at the level that many think.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Hit the used record store again, and came away with another five albums.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes second record, the only one of their first five or six I don't own. Some R&B standards mixed in with original songs written by Steve van Zandt.

Ellen Foley's second album. Ellen was the female singer on Meat Loaf's Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, and also played Billie(?), the first defense attorney on Night Court, before Markie Post joined the show. She was dating Mick Jones of the Clash at the time, and many of the songs are Strummer/Jones compositions, produced by Mick, and most of the musicians played on London Calling. Supposed to be really good.

Peter Case's first solo record. Leader of LA post-punk band The Plimsouls(featured in the classic 80's film Valley Girl), his solo work was more acoustic and folky.

Roxy Music's Siren. Love is the Drug was the single off this.

And Steely Dan's first record, Can't Buy a Thrill. I may have mentioned when I bought The Royal Scam, that most of my Steely Dan records are budget reissues on the MCA label, put out after MCA bought the ABC label. The two SD records I just picked up are original ABC pressings, I was hoping they might sound better. And strangely enough, they do. The MCA versions sound dull.and lifeless, like the highs have been rolled off and the bass muffled. The ABC versions sound a bit brighter and more detailed, and present a wider soundstage.

Now I have no idea why this is. I assume they used the same masters and stampers to stamp out the reissued copies. Crappier vinyl? Old, worn stamping plates? I don't know. But the difference is not subtle. I'm wondering if it might be the cleaning liquids I used to clean each one in my machine. I cleaned the MCA copy with the Pro-ject fluid that came with the machine. For the ABC copies, I used a different brand that I bought after using up all of the original, and I like this new stuff a lot. I'm gonna try an experiment and clean one of the MCA label ones again using the new fluid, and see if it makes a difference. Could be just a case of cleaning more crap out of the grooves.

If it's not, I'll need to work on replacing some of my Who albums as well, as many of them are MCA label budget reissues also.
                            Last edited by rufus; 07-28-2017, 07:50 PM.
                            What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Beatles are the most overrated band in history right after journey.

The difference is the Beatles are still head and shoulders above everyone else and journey is barely music.
                              Code:
                              As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                              College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                              BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                              Originally posted by SanTropez
                              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                              Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                              I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                              Originally posted by Kepler
                              When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Totally agree and understand Gurt's point about touring because I harbor the same view on that front.

But I feel Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers/Abbey Road in terms of the craftsmanship, recordings and tbh the experimentation are gold standard albums.

I feel the same way about Beggar's Banquet/Exile/Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed as well as Bowie's Hunky Dory/Low/ etc the albums are so good they transcend genre and inspire waves of artists all over the globe in different disciplines.

So I agree and disagree? I certainly think Bowie, The Stones, The Clash, Howlin' Wolf, and more are on par with the Beatles. But I also understand why the fab 4 hold such an indelible place in music history where it's been argued ad infinitum they're the best
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X