X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Speaking of artists past their prime...

Ryan Adams - Prisoner

His latest. He's coming to play in Madison at an outdoor venue along with Emmylou Harris. Thought I should check out his latest effort.

It's good if not remarkable.

Loved Whiskeytown and his first few solo albums were great. Been hit or (mostly) miss (for me) since then.

Will probably go to the show since the wife wants to and on the hopes of at least one GP song with Emmylou. Hell, I'd love a GP set, but the best I can probably hope for is a song.

Comment

Looking through my Ryan Adams stuff, I totally forgot about this little nug...

Wasted Years

Not sure if this was ever posted here.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Perfect as in its placement on the list or perfect as in it being a good album?

They have a number of albums on their list that simply do not belong.
        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post

Perfect in its utter snarkiness.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Chinese Democracy isn't high enough. Mother Love Bone doesn't even belong on such a list.

Cat Scratch Fever is only that high because Jezebel is written by women. In fact, I'm shocked it's not higher.

I don't get the hate for The Doors or James Taylor at all.

Comment

Honestly, when I first saw the title to the article, I was more than a little worried about how many of my albums I might find on there. Needless to say I was relieved to discover only two, The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's and U2's Songs of Innocence, and actually Songs of Innocence came into my possession by virtue of that automatic download that Bono has been apologizing for ever since.
              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                Honestly, when I first saw the title to the article, I was more than a little worried about how many of my albums I might find on there. Needless to say I was relieved to discover only two, The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's and U2's Songs of Innocence, and actually Songs of Innocence came into my possession by virtue of that automatic download that Bono has been apologizing for ever since.
                I'm not far off from you, but I've heard some of those other albums through friends. The Doors don't belong on the list, Sgt. Pepper's doesn't belong, Jack White's Blunderbuss, too, and a couple others slipping my mind. As laid out in the opening of the article, most of these lists are inherently sexist.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Roger's Wall a few years back is right up there too and likely the greatest spectacle that I've ever seen in person. Just incredible and that album really resonates with me still.
                  I may be in the minority on this, but I thought Roger's Wall tour was absolutely terrible. He doesn't have the voice he once did, and it was just full over the top trying way too hard awfulness. The current tour is the polar opposite, it was amazing. But it was WAY less Roger, and more everyone else. He had his moments for sure, but they were natural and not forced like everything on The Wall tour.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    I may be in the minority on this, but I thought Roger's Wall tour was absolutely terrible. He doesn't have the voice he once did, and it was just full over the top trying way too hard awfulness. The current tour is the polar opposite, it was amazing. But it was WAY less Roger, and more everyone else. He had his moments for sure, but they were natural and not forced like everything on The Wall tour.
                    I was referring to the spectacle of it all.

On that, I believe it delivered in the spirit of the original concept - watch the original tour and it's the same show only with better video projectors. It's a rock opera of sorts after all.

In terms of his voice, his singing at the Wall show I was at was about the same as any I've seen or heard of him - I've listened to the recording of it 3 or 4 times. I haven't listened to other shows from that tour, so can't comment on whether he struggled at other times.

On this current tour, he is singing Bring the Boys Back Home in a lower octave as I'm thinking he can't hit those notes easily anymore.

Anyway, we can disagree on The Wall. No worries there.
                    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-27-2017, 01:49 PM.

Comment

Other things I'm hearing today include Indigo Girls, The Submarines and Airborne Toxic Event.

I feel like I'm in college and I just broke up...

Comment

Perfect as in the sentiment. JT sucks.

The list is obviously a snark list. Either they all belong or none of them do. My god, though, where's Glass Houses?
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                          Airborne Toxic Event.
                          I had never heard of this band until last Wednesday and I have now hit about a dozen independent references to them.

The name sounds like the best possible parody of a twee-fi cuddlecore grad school band.
                          Cornell University
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I was glad to see PJ and Beatles albums on that list though. Good, but overrated bands that can always stand to be taken down a couple pegs.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                              I was glad to see PJ and Beatles albums on that list though. Good, but overrated bands that can always stand to be taken down a couple pegs.
                              The Beatles are the most overrated band in history by lightyears if only for the sheer volume of starcum fans and media have regurgitated for the last 50 years.

They were an inspired kid band who then grew into an excellent and fascinating band who then became dicey and by the end they were lazy. In other words, they followed the general arc of 90% of other bands that achieved some moment of greatness.

People who say they sucked and people who say they were the greatest ever are equal full of it. They're a solid A and so are a dozen generally popular and hundreds of obscure genre bands in history.
                              Cornell University

Comment

The definitive equivalency statement between the 80s and Target.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X