Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Gurtholfin

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    To be fair, that wasn't really their fault. Their stadium concerts were, allegedly, impossible logistically. People just wouldn't shut up. They were more like pass political rallies.

I'm certainly not casting fault.

Just making an observation and fault or no fault, they didn't tour.

Makes them less than what they could have been in my eyes.

I'm not at all defensive about the Beatles. I went through a phase of discovery in college (regarding the Beatles... ) and listened to them a lot and absorbed them into my musical conscience.

Since then I've barely listened to them and years go by now without me choosing to hear them.

Still respect what I discovered though and see/hear their influence in much of what I actually listen to.

The Beatles are overrated. Are they still legendary? Yes. Just not at the level that many think.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Hit the used record store again, and came away with another five albums.

Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes second record, the only one of their first five or six I don't own. Some R&B standards mixed in with original songs written by Steve van Zandt.

Ellen Foley's second album. Ellen was the female singer on Meat Loaf's Paradise By The Dashboard Lights, and also played Billie(?), the first defense attorney on Night Court, before Markie Post joined the show. She was dating Mick Jones of the Clash at the time, and many of the songs are Strummer/Jones compositions, produced by Mick, and most of the musicians played on London Calling. Supposed to be really good.

Peter Case's first solo record. Leader of LA post-punk band The Plimsouls(featured in the classic 80's film Valley Girl), his solo work was more acoustic and folky.

Roxy Music's Siren. Love is the Drug was the single off this.

And Steely Dan's first record, Can't Buy a Thrill. I may have mentioned when I bought The Royal Scam, that most of my Steely Dan records are budget reissues on the MCA label, put out after MCA bought the ABC label. The two SD records I just picked up are original ABC pressings, I was hoping they might sound better. And strangely enough, they do. The MCA versions sound dull.and lifeless, like the highs have been rolled off and the bass muffled. The ABC versions sound a bit brighter and more detailed, and present a wider soundstage.

Now I have no idea why this is. I assume they used the same masters and stampers to stamp out the reissued copies. Crappier vinyl? Old, worn stamping plates? I don't know. But the difference is not subtle. I'm wondering if it might be the cleaning liquids I used to clean each one in my machine. I cleaned the MCA copy with the Pro-ject fluid that came with the machine. For the ABC copies, I used a different brand that I bought after using up all of the original, and I like this new stuff a lot. I'm gonna try an experiment and clean one of the MCA label ones again using the new fluid, and see if it makes a difference. Could be just a case of cleaning more crap out of the grooves.

If it's not, I'll need to work on replacing some of my Who albums as well, as many of them are MCA label budget reissues also.
    Last edited by rufus; 07-28-2017 at 07:50 PM.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Lucia Apologist

Beatles are the most overrated band in history right after journey.

The difference is the Beatles are still head and shoulders above everyone else and journey is barely music.

Totally agree and understand Gurt's point about touring because I harbor the same view on that front.

But I feel Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers/Abbey Road in terms of the craftsmanship, recordings and tbh the experimentation are gold standard albums.

I feel the same way about Beggar's Banquet/Exile/Sticky Fingers/Let It Bleed as well as Bowie's Hunky Dory/Low/ etc the albums are so good they transcend genre and inspire waves of artists all over the globe in different disciplines.

So I agree and disagree? I certainly think Bowie, The Stones, The Clash, Howlin' Wolf, and more are on par with the Beatles. But I also understand why the fab 4 hold such an indelible place in music history where it's been argued ad infinitum they're the best

Gurtholfin

Quote Originally Posted by solovsfett View Post

But I feel Rubber Soul/Revolver/Sgt. Peppers/Abbey Road in terms of the craftsmanship, recordings and tbh the experimentation are gold standard albums.

Agreed 100% I'd throw in the White Album too.

The first time I listened to Abbey Road... especially side 2...

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Beatles are the most overrated band in history right after journey.

The difference is the Beatles are still head and shoulders above everyone else and journey is barely music.
    You forgot to put Nirvana and Led ahead of Journey in over-rated-ness.

Personally, I think the Journey hype is tongue-in-cheek. It's uber-cheesy 80s suck-rock, one of the ultimate guilty pleasure bands, and so everyone just runs with the bit.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by Brenthoven View Post
    Zep isn't overrated.

He forgot Aerosmith.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Personally, I think the Journey hype is tongue-in-cheek. It's uber-cheesy 80s suck-rock, one of the ultimate guilty pleasure bands, and so everyone just runs with the bit.
    Agreed. Journey is what if the Eagles became self-aware.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018

Zep isn't overrated.

He forgot Aerosmith.
    They are in line with the Beatles, IMO. Legendary, but not AS legendary. I can definitely agree on Aerosmith.

Agreed. Journey is what if the Eagles became self-aware.
    That....is well-put. Hell, throw Bon Jovi (group and solo career) into that mix.

Gurtholfin

Aerosmith is third tier at best.

Who thinks Aerosmith is one of the all timers?

And I'm a fan... but please.

Journey is 4th or 5th tier at best.

Can of worms opened...

Lucia Apologist

Journey belongs at the International Bazaar Stage at the Minnesota State Fair. They aren't even fifth tier.

Gurtholfin

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Journey belongs at the International Bazaar Stage at the Minnesota State Fair. They aren't even fifth tier.
    The way you guys prize your fair, that seems like quite an honor.

Journey in their prime - like them or not - was... well... never mind...

I can't defend Journey even if I liked them as a 12 year old.

I liked Neal Schon.

Steve Perry should be throttled mid wail though. I hate hm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Aerosmith is third tier at best.

Who thinks Aerosmith is one of the all timers?

And I'm a fan... but please.

Journey is 4th or 5th tier at best.

Can of worms opened...
    Define the tiers. There's the first step. I like where this is headed, though.

Gurtholfin

If it's a pantheon, who do you put on top if not the Beatles?

To be honest, I've never actually thought about this in defined terms. I intuitively know who I think are the best of all time and I also feel like there are tiers or groupings or levels based upon talent, creativity, popularity and influence.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-29-2017 at 12:17 AM.

They are in line with the Beatles, IMO. Legendary, but not AS legendary. I can definitely agree on Aerosmith.
    How are the Beatles not the most legendary act of all time? It's not even up for debate. You may not like their music (even I hardly listen to their first 2 records) but they are without question the most legendary act of all time. I don't listen to Michael Jackson outside of a handful of his songs but I would never be stupid enough to argue he was overrated. I will never have any desire to watch the shows Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy nor Breaking Bad but could I logically argue they're overrated? I'll never try.

By the way the Beatles are not even my favorite band of all time so this isn't me being defensive. I could name several bands/artists off the top of my head (The Replacements, REM, The Cure, Foo Fighters, Prince, BRMC, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead...) ahead of the Beatles on my favorites list.

This is an argument based upon logic and even more so principal. As far as craftsmanship, sphere of influence, innovation, creativity, experimentation, tenure, record sales, impact, popularity, world-wide exposure and any other measuring stick except rapping prowess you want to name they are untouchable and to argue otherwise makes a person sound foolish.
    Last edited by Slap Shot; 07-29-2017 at 04:53 AM.

Nirvana wouldn't even be a footnote in rock history without Dave Grohl. His drumming, Butch Vig's glossy production of Nevermind, and Geffen's perfect release timing, made Kurt's otherwise average and abrasive songwriting into a multi-platinum juggernaut. I actually prefer In Utero and Bleach. I feel like those are the "real" Nirvana that Kurt wanted.

Early Zep is cromulent, but bland proto-cock rock. They didn't start to get interesting until ZoSo/Zep IV, and peaked at Physical Graffiti.

Aerosmith has one good album (Toys in the Attic), one really good album (Rocks), and then a lot of pick-and-choose filler on each end of their 70s heyday. When they sobered up and reunited in the 80s, and started hiring songwriters, they became awful, though I'll admit "Janie's Got a Gun" and "Cryin'" are massive guilty pleasures of mine.

That....is well-put. Hell, throw Bon Jovi (group and solo career) into that mix.
    I always thought of Bon Jovi as the self-aware Bryan Adams, who is himself, the self-aware Don Henley. So, there's your tree of 80s singer-songwriter pablum, extrapolated out by artist, and in descending order of entertainment value.

Much as I love "Dirty Laundry" for being 30 years ahead of its time, I swear if I have to hear "Sunset Grill" or "Boys of Summer" one more time this year, I am going to choke someone.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-29-2017 at 02:36 AM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    How are the Beatles not the most legendary act of all time? It's not even up for debate. You may not like their music (even I hardly listen to their first 2 records) but they are without question the most legendary act of all time. I don't listen to Michael Jackson outside of a handful of his songs but I would never be stupid enough to argue he was overrated. I will never have any desire to watch the shows Game of Thrones, Sons of Anarchy nor Breaking Bad but could I logically argue they're overrated? I'll never try.

By the way the Beatles are not even my favorite band of all time so this isn't me being defensive. I could name several bands/artists off the top of my head (The Replacements, REM, The Cure, Foo Fighters, Prince, BRMC, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead...) ahead of the Beatles on my favorites list.

This is an argument based upon logic and even more so principal. As far as craftsmanship, sphere of influence, innovation, creativity, experimentation, tenure, record sales, impact, popularity, world-wide exposure and any other measuring stick except rapping prowess you want to name they are untouchable and to argue otherwise makes a person sound foolish.
    I *like* the Beatles quite a bit. This isn't about my personal tastes at all. One minor quibble in your list, though: record sales. Just because they sold millions and millions of records doesn't qualify them as being good. See: Justin Beiber.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    If it's a pantheon, who do you put on top if not the Beatles?
    You have to bound a pantheon by the audience. The Beatles are far and away #1 -- for white American and European boomers.

Right now there is probably some Korean or Chinese act that neither you nor I have ever heard of who has reached 10x the number of people currently alive as the Beatles. And in fifty years the Beatles will be to even white Americans and Europeans yet unborn what, say, Louis Armstrong is to us -- most people have heard of them, most musically savvy people know you always have to mention them as iconic, and they probably have influential roots you aren't aware of, but... their time is over and they are now just another monument to the dead.
    Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Thread Information