X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Got time for one more before quitting time.

The Cure - Head on the Door

Not my fav of theirs but was my entry point. I do like it though.

17 Seconds is my fav.
    That's a good one. My introduction to The Cure was Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. Insta-hooked.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
      That's a good one. My introduction to The Cure was Kiss Me Kiss Me Kiss Me. Insta-hooked.

Yeah... that was the one I really got into them over.

We've talked about this in here before, but for me, tied to my first serious girlfriend.

Album has been done for me since.

Not that's there's any lingering feelings or disdain for her. Just too much of a period piece in my life and I can't find context for it anymore.

Not even in nostalgia.

Just blank now.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        Yeah... that was the one I really got into them over.

We've talked about this in here before, but for me, tied to my first serious girlfriend.

Album has been done for me since.

Not that's there's any lingering feelings or disdain for her. Just too much of a period piece in my life and I can't find context for it anymore.

Not even in nostalgia.

Just blank now.
        I can understand that. There are certain songs overall that are forever tied to certain people. Sometimes I can listen to them, sometimes I can't.
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Like I said... doesn't bring me pain or anger. It's just so tied to her that it seems used up somehow.

I remember dancing with her and some other girls from the resort I was working at summer of 88 to Just like Heaven in a townie bar up north in black jeans and black high tops (or maybe my combat boots).

I SO should have gotten my arse kicked that night.

But I didn't.

The song that makes me nostalgic for that relationship or time in my life is the Kid Rock one, All Summer Long.

Cheesy for that to be the case, but it paints the right picture.

Comment

All Summer Long DEFINITELY makes me nostalgic. There was a campground just outside of the metro (well, now it's not) that my friends always went to for all the major summer holidays. And yes, I'd like to see that girl again, just to catch up and such. We ended on good terms.

Comment

Fridays also had Rich Hall and Larry David. Still remember the Kaufman episode, That Darn Reagan, Dick, Battle Boy...

Comment

This could have easily gone in the TV thread but my recollection of We Didn't Start the Fire is pretty different from Adam Goldberg's. I was a big fan of Piano Man and Glass Houses but I could have sworn that song despite it's being played a lot was pretty widely panned.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  This could have easily gone in the TV thread but my recollection of We Didn't Start the Fire is pretty different from Adam Goldberg's. I was a big fan of Piano Man and Glass Houses but I could have sworn that song despite it's being played a lot was pretty widely panned.
                  We Didn't Start The Fire was panned, unfortunately. I think it was a very good song, even though (*sigh*) it did pale to his greatest hits.

Comment

Merry Christmas from Cornell's contribution to punk.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Tomorrow, I need to get up early.

6 AM, day after Christmas
                      The world is sleeping
                      I am numb
                      Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                      "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                      Patreon for exclusive writing content
                      Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

The Railway Children - Recurrence

Had their first two on vinyl.

Was drawn to the jangly guitar work.

Vocalist is pretty bland.

Comment

Speaking of jangly guitars...

REM - Reckoning

Parents finally relented and allowed me to join BMG coz it was a lesser commitment than Columbia House and this was one of the 4 I got.

Have never liked another REM album nearly as much although Life's Rich Pageant was the other one that I loved.

Comment

Fables of the Reconstruction is great. I've never heard anything else by REM that didn't make me want to strangle Michael Stipe with his own self-regard.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Asked for and received a book for Xmas.

Guy Pratt - My Bass and Other Animals

Bassist for Floyd and Gilmour since 1987 and he's also been a session musician and toured with a few other decently famous outfits.

Supposed to be pretty entertaining and am looking forward to it.

I've seen him in interviews and he's funny.

Actually does standup around this material and people love his act.

Will have to wait as I'm reading Killing Bono for the second time.

Honestly can't recommend this book any more highly if you are (or were) a U2 fan (even if you hate them now) or if you were into punk and post punk back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Written by Neil McCormick who grew up with the members of U2 and who is now the rock critic for The Guardian.

The book is actually about Neil's quest for rock stardom while he watches his old mates achieve it for themselves.

Comment

• Running play list for today:

"Immigrant Song"- Led Zeppelin
                                "Staring At The Sun"- U2
                                "Unwell"- Matchbox Twenty
                                "All You Wanted"- Michelle Branch
                                "Palisades Park"- Counting Crows
                                "Ada"- The National
                                Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                                "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                                Patreon for exclusive writing content
                                Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Working...
                                X