This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

I heart using the iHeart app on my phone using Bluetooth to play music in my car. I've been far too busy lately to gather new music to which I can update a USB stick for playing in the car and iHeart is the next best thing after updating all my favorites.

Comment

Tommy Keene passed away the other day, age 59. One of my very favorite singer/songwriters, a master of the power pop genre.

His highly acclaimed Places That Are Gone EP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bkC...67aOJur2XvUWxy
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

And, apparently, the show that was broadcast on MTV, back in 1986.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nwlf...BPAm97uPSClbgN
        Last edited by rufus; 11-28-2017, 06:29 PM.

Comment

And I just gotta post one more. Just beautiful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sr53ST6l0Fw

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            Alanis Morissette - Jagged Little Pill

That Flea bassline in 'You Oughta Know'...
            Amen.
            Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
            Mellon Collie & the Infinite Sadness
            Not positive, but I believe it's been years since I listened to this straight through.
            What a treat and reminded me of why I liked it so much back in the late 90s.
            Nice! I also love those albums. The first Pumpkins I'd ever heard.
            Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
            It's November 17th, waiting for my food at Culver's...and I just lost.
            Siiiiiimply haaaaaving a wonderful Christmas time!
            FFFFFUUUUU Paul McCartney.
            Agreed (again)! I find most McCartney to be sniveling drool, but that song is high on that list. And I like some Christmas music.

Comment

Jagged, yes.
              Mellon Collie, yes, although I still think Ava Adore is one of their best works.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Siamese Dream...since SP has been discussed. Also...original line-up tour in 2018. I can't wait!

Siamese Dream along with Nevermind, Soundgarden's Bad Motor Finger and Die Kreuzen's Cement were my college soundtrack.

First time I saw SP was an acoustic performance at atomic records in Milwaukee in 90 I believe, maybe 91. Gish was their sole release at that time as far as full lengths.
                Billy kept yelling at Darcy to keep up.

Later that evening they played the rave. I think it was the middle slot between Pear Jam and RHCP iirc. Great show
                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

U2 - Songs of Experience

U2 by numbers. They have a formula since 2000 and this sticks to it.

Definitely some good songs on there along with safe filler.

Songs of Innocence (2015) was quite good and (almost) broke the formula and could have shattered it had they done the whole album with Dangermouse. Could have been a moment of reinvention approaching those that happened in 84, 87, 92 and 97.

They're scared (and scarred) to do that now after the reaming they took with Pop - including from long time fans like me although it's my favorite album by them now.

Gives em a reason to tour though.

Was gonna skip it, but the son surprised me by really wanting to go (again), so I got tix... Ouch $$$.

I did like the show from 2015 that we went to though and this one will go back to a format more like that as opposed to the snoozefest that was this past summer's J-Tree redux.

Likely the final time I will see them unless the so something extraordinary in the future like ZOOTV.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                    Wild Colonials-Fruit of Life
                    Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                    Lucinda Williams - Car Wheels On a Gravel Road
                    Belated thank yous for these.

Rufus, not sure if it was you who brought up Blue Rodeo (you listed them in your "island list" and I'm way too lazy to go back and confirm it) but, if so, thanks doesn't cut it. Fell in love with this band. Bought the entire collection. I'm going to see them in Windsor on Friday. To say I'm looking forward to it might just be the understatement of the year.
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Fruit of Life is an amazing record, isn't it? I had the pleasure of meeting Angela McCluskey about 1996 at a small club show, maybe 30 people there, and got to talk with her a bit after the show. She was just an absolute sweetheart. Was telling her I was sort of in a rut musically, and she offered up a couple suggestions for me to try out, Jeff Buckley's album, Radiohead. Mentioned I was a big fan of the Waterboys, and she said that the song Dear Mike was written about Mike Scott. Words cannot convey how much I love that album. I only found out about them cause I heard the song Spark in an episode of party of Five, that part right before the violin solo kicks in, and i was like, whoa!!!! No idea who they were, but I went to see my buddy who worked at the radio station and asked him, who does that song Spark, and of course he knew, and lent me his copy.

Blue Rodeo, my other friend who's the station program director gave me a promo copy of Nowhere to Here years ago, and I just let it sit for months. Finally one day I popped it in, just background music while I played on the computer, until the song Sky came on. Floored me, and I had to get up and restart the disc and really listen that time. Like you, I went out and picked up the entire catalog. Nowhere to Here is still my favorite album, although the band themselves hate it. There's just a darkness, a melancholy that permeates it that really appeals to me, although that's why the band hates it, it was made at a very dark and turbulent time of their careers.

I still think my favorite era was when James Gray was in the group, I think he played a big role in the musical arrangements of the songs. After he left, the guy who replaced him was more of a honky-tonk type piano player, and so the songs were more traditional country sounding, pretty sparse and straightforward, but he's since moved on, and the two(I think?) keyboard players they have now have brought back more of that experimentation in the song arrangements. And Glenn Milchem's a helluva drummer.

Hope you get to meet them after the show, they're pretty personable with their fans. You could probably talk hockey with Jim Cuddy all night. And speaking of, his first solo record is also a must have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evtCjheeZ00

I can't rave about either of those bands enough.
                      Last edited by rufus; 11-29-2017, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Christmas songs I've been listening to lately -

Sharon Jones - Please Come Home for Christmas
                        Nat King Cole - All I Want for Christmas (Is My Two Front Teeth)
                        Stevie Wonder - Someday at Christmas
                        Last edited by jen; 11-30-2017, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Red Sovine gets me in the mood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kz0YRBbdNsw
                          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Oasis...

Yeah... just no. Can't do it.

There were reasons (that I'd forgotten) beyond a visceral need to punch Liam in the face that made me not like their music back in the day.

Funny thing is that I really like Noel's band doing those songs.

Loses the twattiness I guess.

Comment

Kasabian

My playlist of about 30 favorites.

Been oddly obsessed with this over the past 36 or so hours.

3rd listen through in that time.

Comment

Oh and slightly embarrassed to admit that I picked up Champagne Supernova on the guitar the other day just by playing the first chord and then the second was obvious and there it was.

It's the same as Dear Mr. Fantasy, Change (Blind Melon) and a thousand other songs.

It's a nothing song and a sing along at shows (although I'd say it's a perfect rock "anthem"), but dang it's fun to bang away on as a warmup 'cept it doesn't seem to have an ending. Just loops and loops and loops till I just just say F-it and stop.
                                Last edited by Gurtholfin; 12-01-2017, 08:44 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X