This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

I love 7/4. Always break out my Murica playlist on Spotify up at the lake. Great mix of everything from country, rock, some new stuff, the service academy songs, and whatever else screams "Murica!"
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
      I love 7/4. Always break out my Murica playlist on Spotify up at the lake. Great mix of everything from country, rock, some new stuff, the service academy songs, and whatever else screams "Murica!"
      Had to crank out Ray Charles' America The Beautiful at OC today. Best version I ever friggin' heard. Just.....from the heart. Love that version.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
        I got the Deluxe version they just released this year. It's 13 tracks on disc 1, and then another 18 on disc 2. Disc 2 is a combination of full songs from the interludes during the movie, and liver performances from some of the original soundtrack songs.
        Nice! I heard about it, but didn't grab it. Maybe I'll pick it up next weekend.

Comment

****...My iPod finally flatlined...any thoughts on a portable device that can hold 160+gigs of music? Or am I SOL?

I haven't tried uploading music to google music or tried iCloud just yet as I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.
          Any suggestions would be quite welcome.
          Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
            ****...My iPod finally flatlined...any thoughts on a portable device that can hold 160+gigs of music? Or am I SOL?

I haven't tried uploading music to google music or tried iCloud just yet as I'm a bit of a curmudgeon.
            I bought a 1TB external drive at best buy for under $60
            CCT '77 & '78
            4 kids
            5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
            1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
            - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

That's not exactly the same kind of portable, joe.
              "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Be an old crank and go back to vinyl.

In all seriousness, how long have you been hooked into the Apple-verse? If it's longer than 4-5 years, and you bought most of your music from the iTunes store, there's a good chance your older purchases won't play nicely with any other device. There are ways around it (apps that will convert older "locked" AAC files to MP3), but might be more hassle than it's worth to you.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                  Be an old crank and go back to vinyl.

In all seriousness, how long have you been hooked into the Apple-verse? If it's longer than 4-5 years, and you bought most of your music from the iTunes store, there's a good chance your older purchases won't play nicely with any other device. There are ways around it (apps that will convert older "locked" AAC files to MP3), but might be more hassle than it's worth to you.
                  I'll definitely get the 1tb drive for storage but I have roughly 24-28,000 songs and most ripped from cds I bought. I think less than 10% of my music was purchased via digital store fronts.

I do have roughly 150-200 lps😀

Vinyl is my preferred format but I have less time to sit down with it than I'd like🙁

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

I'll definitely get the 1tb drive for storage but I have roughly 24-28,000 songs and most ripped from cds I bought. I think less than 10% of my music was purchased via digital store fronts.

I do have roughly 150-200 lps��

Vinyl is my preferred format but I have less time to sit down with it than I'd like��
                    You're actually in pretty good shape to depart Apple then, if you want to. The truth is, a lot of people are even leaving MP3 players behind and going the monthly fee streaming route - Pandora, Spotify, etc. However, that requires a big/expensive monthly data package (if you're in the car a lot), and/or a WiFi connection (at work/home). Also, I'm sort of like you - I need to own the songs, even if they're in file form.

Personally, I've have an Android smartphone for 3 years now, but I still use iTunes. I converted all of my music to MP3, and uploaded it to my phone, which I then hook into the voice-activated system in my car via Bluetooth. That covers driving and vacation use, while iTunes continues to cover home use.

Comment

I dunno gigs or whatever, but I bought a Sony MP3 that holds about 2800 songs, for $100 a couple years ago. I like it.
                      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                        I dunno gigs or whatever, but I bought a Sony MP3 that holds about 2800 songs, for $100 a couple years ago. I like it.
                        Yeah, that's a bit under-gigged for solovsfett's need.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
                          You're actually in pretty good shape to depart Apple then, if you want to. The truth is, a lot of people are even leaving MP3 players behind and going the monthly fee streaming route - Pandora, Spotify, etc. However, that requires a big/expensive monthly data package (if you're in the car a lot), and/or a WiFi connection (at work/home). Also, I'm sort of like you - I need to own the songs, even if they're in file form.

Personally, I've have an Android smartphone for 3 years now, but I still use iTunes. I converted all of my music to MP3, and uploaded it to my phone, which I then hook into the voice-activated system in my car via Bluetooth. That covers driving and vacation use, while iTunes continues to cover home use.
                          Thank you! Yes, I'm like you in that I want to own the songs vs paying a subscription fee, also some of the music is from local or regional bands or smaller touring bands with little presence on current streaming services or iTunes.

Comment

iPods with that kind of storage died a couple generations ago. Including the mini HDD format it came with. 128 GB can be found and maybe a 256-GB player exists. But they are going to be flash memory based instead of HDD and likely cost a boatload.
                            Code:
                            As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                            College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                            BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                            Originally posted by SanTropez
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                            I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                            Originally posted by Kepler
                            When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Thank you! Yes, I'm like you in that I want to own the songs vs paying a subscription fee, also some of the music is from local or regional bands or smaller touring bands with little presence on current streaming services or iTunes.
                              Even the biggest regional band from my time in Houghton, The Neverland Rancheros, made it to iTunes during Apple's heyday in 2007. Odds are, you won't find them streaming though, which is a shame.

But if you're still going to local shows, even occasionally, I get it.

I see you're in CHI, so if you're biggest concern is the Chicago car commute, then I would honestly suggest that if your car has a USB port and voice-active music system, plan to get a really big flash drive, load it, and plug it into your car's USB port. Learn to follow the prompts.

A smartphone with a Bluetooth connection is a bit more spotty, but still manageable.

Otherwise, get the biggest general MP3 device you can find, and load it with your most favorite tracks.

EDIT: Androids are the easiest to expand, you just need to buy a big SDC card, formatted in the latest tech (usually <$100).
                              Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-05-2017, 11:03 PM.

Comment

A quick search of ebay showed lots of listings for the Classic 160gb - some even new/unused. Saw a couple for $300, which is what I paid for mine back when I bought them at the store.

Both of mine still work - thankfully.

One full of studio/official stuff and one full of concert recordings.

I am also one who listens to a lot that isn't available on streaming services and a lot of concert recordings. And I must own the files.

I'm guessing my way will be obsolete at some point, but for now... "You little ****s better get off my lawn!!!"

Comment

Working...
                                X