X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's mildly amusing in that it exposes how so many popular rock songs are based around the same set of major chords, just structured a bit differently. Beyond that, I agree.
    One I intuitively understood 1 - 4 - 5, I was able to figure out a whole ton of songs by ear.

Haha!

Just scored a radio broadcast of an Iron Maiden show from Tokyo - 5/24/81.

I know what I'm listening to tomorrow on the commute to Milwaukee.

Comment

Island albums...

Not necessarily my favorite albums of all time, but rather a collection of music to get me through the rest of my days in isolation.

Pink Floyd - Meddle
      Widespread Panic - Everyday
      Harrison Stafford - Rockamovya
      Sticky Fingers - Caress Your Soul
      Phish - Billy Breathes
      Daniel Lanois - Acadie
      U2 - Pop
      Tom Waits - The Heart of Saturday Night
      Stick Figure - Burial Ground
      Steve Earle - Train a Comin'
      Led Zeppelin - III

No Grateful Dead coz studio Dead is pointless.

No Chronic coz I couldn't see listening to this on a regular basis even though I believe it to be one of the better studio creations of all time.

A whole bunch of other albums by various artists were in the running, but whatever...

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        Any country since Hank Sr. croaked.
        Hank III, Eric Church. The former is like his grand-daddy, the latter is half-rock'n'roll. My general cutoff (from my limited knowledge) is Randy Travis, so about mid-80s? Then it went pop. F you, Garth.

Edit: NSFW at all: Hank III: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90nyz0GmWCw
        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
        Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Foo Fighters are adding gigs in SE Asia but so far nothing for Manila.

/please, please, please, please

I might have to consider The Verve - Urban Hymns (btw Lucky Man > Bittersweet Symphony) or Stone Roses - Stone Roses for my island.

Richard Ashcroft (The Verve) and Ian Brown (Stone Roses) are two more frontmen in a long line of pouty English puffs (Liam Gallagher, Damon Albarn, Jarvis Cocker, Tim Burgess, John Power, Gaz Coombes ...) but those are brilliant records.

Oh and haters gonna hate but I still remember where I was the first day I heard this song.
          Last edited by Slap Shot; 08-03-2017, 12:12 AM.

Comment

Top 10 Island Albums:
            Pearl Jam - Ten
            Pearl Jam - Lightning Bolt
            Eve 6 - Horrorscope
            Taylor Swift - 1989
            Peter Gabriel - So
            Oasis - What's the Story Morning Glory
            Fleetwood Mac - Rumors
            Blink 182 - Enema of the State
            The Gutter Twins - Saturnalia
            Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
              Stick Figure - Burial Ground
              You recommended this album a while ago and I have been remise in not thanking you for it. My initial impression was meh but upon further review, I concluded "I am but a worm". This is a great album from start to finish. I thank you for your rec. as does my youngest daughter (even though she'd be PO'd at you for your comments about Legend )
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

I'm late the the game but here are my Island Albums. These basically defined by jr high/highschool days and I'm not sure I could ever get sick of them -- I've sometimes gone years between listening them in completion, but when I do I remember why I loved them so much.

Nirvana - In Utero
                Pixies - Doolittle
                Pixies - Surfer Rosa
                Rage Against The Machine - self titled
                Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves
                Rancid - Let's Go
                Soundgarden - Badmotorfinger
                NOFX - Punk in Drublic
                Sex Pistols - Never Mind the Bullocks Here's the Sex Pistols
                Pearl Jam - Ten
                maybe swap out Sublime - self titled or Smashing Pumpkins Siamese Dream for one of the above

by the way, I finally saw Rancid in concert . They still rock over 20 years later. I had a friend in high school that saw them at a Lollapalooza with some really big names (1996 I think when Metallica, Soundgarden, Ramones, and Rancid were all main stage acts) -- he said Ranicid was by far the best performance he saw, which culminated with Tim Armstrong jumping into the crowd and playing guitar while crowd surfing.
                Last edited by BassAle; 08-03-2017, 10:26 AM.

Comment

I think he was a Muslim, so no ham sandwich?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yoYZf-lBF_U
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

It may sound odd given their fame but I think the Stones are a bit underrated.

Wild Horses
                    Waiting on a Friend - still remember where I was the day I first saw this video
                    Angie
                    Paint it Black
                    Sympathy for the Devil
                    Shattered
                    Street Fighting Man
                    Gimme Shelter - Can see Mick's on stage quirks most now recognize him for in its earliest development

Would the average music fan know how deep their roots are in the blues? I know a lot of people were turned off by their never ending recording and touring but I'd pay a handsome sum of money to see them in concert today. More than were I to have a chance at a Gilmour or Waters solo concert which is near blasphemy given their place within my heart for music.
                    Last edited by Slap Shot; 08-04-2017, 04:55 PM.

Comment

Seen 'em like six times, all since 1988. Last time was maybe the mid-nineties. Would not pay anything to ever see them again. they're just going through the motions at this point, and the music is polished and so carefully arranged that it's lost any sense of what they used to be. It's like a Vegas lounge act.

Saw Keith solo twice, in 1988 and 1993. Both better shows than any Stones show I've seen.

Hard to pick out, but when Keith heads out into the wings stage left during the solo, you can see me in the crowd, about 15-20 rows back. Mostly from the light shining on my glasses. Not the dude with the hat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3e7PoAvUmVA
                      Last edited by rufus; 08-04-2017, 06:13 PM.
                      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

https://youtu.be/P8dGh1iEmCY

Found this the other day. Santana had some energy in the early days. You got an hour to kill and like Santana, this is it
                        I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Margo Price - Midwest Farmer's Daughter

She's not original, but she is very good. And as far as the current vein of the Nashville sound, she's an outlaw.

Comment

• Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            It may sound odd given their fame but I think the Stones are a bit underrated.

Wild Horses
                            Waiting on a Friend - still remember where I was the day I first saw this video
                            Angie
                            Paint it Black
                            Sympathy for the Devil
                            Shattered
                            Street Fighting Man
                            Gimme Shelter - Can see Mick's on stage quirks most now recognize him for in its earliest development

Would the average music fan know how deep their roots are in the blues? I know a lot of people were turned off by their never ending recording and touring but I'd pay a handsome sum of money to see them in concert today. More than were I to have a chance at a Gilmour or Waters solo concert which is near blasphemy given their place within my heart for music.
                            I agree. And yeah, it's hard to fathom they're underrated but I'd be hard pressed to find bands in the last 20 years who name drop the Stones as an influence other than The White Stripes.

I love Howlin' Wolf and Robert Johnson and dare I say for 4 albums the Stones stood shoulder to shoulder with those legends.

And Charlie Watts. To each their own but I think Watts' drumming is spectacular, especially on Exile. Without Watts and Ringo I wonder how rock drumming would sound today.
                            Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

• Was in a coffee shop today, and heard Avril Lavigne. And I thought... "she wasn't terrible after all."
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Are we all agreed The Chainsmokers are the anti-christ?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                                iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                                gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                                Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                                Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                                TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                                DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Working...
                                X