X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
    That should be the title to someone's next album.
    http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2013/...e83bafe751.jpg
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Mistake. The worst times to go to NYC are Christmas (bloody tourists) and August (sweltering and the Mets are already eliminated).

Go in late September, early October. Manhattan is, against all its instincts, honest to god lovely in the fall.
      Problem is that I find, in the Northern Hemisphere anyway, fall is the best time to be everywhere. It's even the best time in Florida. No tourists, (which is huge and also why I'm never overly keen on NYC at Christmas. But one has to do what one must when it comes to keeping in Mrs.' good graces.) the ocean is like a comfortable bath, the rainy season has ended, the beach, fishing, diving, surfing, sailing, etc. are all at their best and no reservations are required anywhere.

Talk about sweltering --now it's sweltering here with a capital SWELT, and it storms so much that I literally did not notice that TS Emily was hitting 75 miles away until 6 or 8 hours after the fact.
      Originally posted by WiscTJK
      I'm with Wisko and Tim.
      Originally posted by Timothy A
      Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Comment

Originally posted by Wisko McBadgerton View Post
        Problem is that I find, in the Northern Hemisphere anyway, fall is the best time to be everywhere. It's even the best time in Florida. No tourists, (which is huge and also why I'm never overly keen on NYC at Christmas. But one has to do what one must when it comes to keeping in Mrs.' good graces.) the ocean is like a comfortable bath, the rainy season has ended, the beach, fishing, diving, surfing, sailing, etc. are all at their best and no reservations are required anywhere.

Talk about sweltering --now it's sweltering here with a capital SWELT, and it storms so much that I literally did not notice that TS Emily was hitting 75 miles away until 6 or 8 hours after the fact.
        Fall sucks in the PNW. The rains have started.
        Cornell University
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Fall sucks in the PNW. The rains have started.
          So you're saying they stop?
          I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

June 1 to August 31 it's the best climate on earth.

September 1 to May 31 it's suicide-inducing.
            Cornell University

Comment

If I'm stuck on an island, I would prefer to have greatest hits of various artists rather than a studio album. However....

The Dark side of the Moon - Pink Floyd - this needs no explanation
              Goodbye Yellow Brick Road - Elton John - I'm kinda embarrassed but I really like this one
              On An Island - David Gilmour - Not only a great album but the title is so appropriate
              Carolina Dreams - Marshall Tucker Band - My first exposure to the best of SC
              Aja - Steely Dan - since this is only 7 songs, can I bring The Royal Scam too?
              Exodus - Bob Marley - How can you be on an island and be without some Marley?
              The Legend Lives Anew - Hank Williams Sr. - When I was a kid my father played this until the grooves flattened out. I learned to love Hank.
              Cryptic - Here Come the Mummies - Their best studio album but Undead Live is much better
              Rust Never Sleeps - Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Neil at his finest
              Lay Down, Lay Low - The Steel Wheels - back to my roots
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                Cryptic - Here Come the Mummies
                Thank you for this. Had never heard of them. This is awesome: like Zappa crossed with James Brown.
                Cornell University

Comment

Pearl Jam – Ten
                  The Black Crowes – Croweology (might break the compilation rule, but they recorded all acoustic versions of the band’s favorite songs they previously released on other albums specifically for this album)
                  The Beatles – Rubber Soul
                  Led Zeppelin - IV
                  Rilo Kiley – The Execution of All Things
                  Jenny Lewis – Acid Tongue
                  Garth Brooks – Ropin’ the Wind
                  Garbage – Bleed Like Me
                  My Goodness – Shiver + Shake
                  Walk Off the Earth – R.E.V.O.
                  "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Thank you for this. Had never heard of them. This is awesome: like Zappa crossed with James Brown.
                    See them live. It's a good time. You WILL be entertained
                    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                    Groucho Marx
                    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                    Ron White
                    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                    Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by busterman62 View Post
                      See them live. It's a good time. You WILL be entertained
                      Holy sh-t, they're at the Birchmere on 9/29. Any locals wanna come dance the night away? I'm serious, I'm going. :-)
                      Last edited by Kepler; 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM.
                      Cornell University

Comment

The Mummies are great. Even if you can only watch their bootlegs of shows on YouTube, you can feel the fun coming from the stage. I learned of them a while ago, but never had anyone interested in attending a show with me. I hope that changes the next time they roll through town.
                        "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                          Garbage – Bleed Like Me
                          Although I named their eponymous first effort I thought I was the only one around that loves BLM. Very underrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                            Although I named their eponymous first effort I thought I was the only one around that loves BLM. Very underrated.
                            There might only be two songs on the album that don't really do it for me. The rest of it is great stuff, even if it never gets much recognition by most people.

Comment

Holy sh-t, they're at the Birchmere on 9/29. Any locals wanna come dance the night away? I'm serious, I'm going. :-)
                              I see Big Bad Voodoo Daddy is playing a couple weeks before, which I personally would also go to. It's just not that often you can see really competent players performing the stuff they do, and they are all very competent. I'd say it would all be Blue Hairs, but the Blue Hairs of that era of music are mostly all gone now... or possibly they're Mummies, I suppose.
                              I'm with Wisko and Tim.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                                A friend of mine in college grew up with Corgan.

I was at Western Illinois for one semester and he was telling me about his friend's new project - Smashing Pumpkins - and how great they were gonna be. Gish hadn't come out yet.

One weekend, a couple of the guys from Snake Train (Iha's previous band) came down and stayed with him and partied with us. Used to have an EP of theirs on cassette but haven't seen it in 20+ years.

This friend of mine also said that he had been asked to join Billy for the new project - in Iha's slot presumably (or on bass?) but that he chose college instead. This was well before Gish (fall of 88) and dude was a really good guitarist - we played together and recorded in the dorms - so at the time and without the benefit of hindsight or knowing how it all turned out - I had no reason not to believe him.

If true, I wonder if he had regrets.

We didn't stay in touch when I moved to Lacrosse the next semester.

Gish was my favorite and MC seemed to be written about MY childhood in the Chicago burbs.
                                Excellent story, wow!
                                Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X