X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    But this is like arguing with someone who thinks "my country is the greatest country in world history." It's obviously being driven by identification, not reason.
    I provided all kinds of reason most of which wasn't even mine. It's not either of those things but if that helps you put the discussion to bed roll with it.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
      All I know is that if there was only one record album that I could listen to for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be a Beatles album. Honestly, I don't know of anyone who would say it's a Beatles album for themselves.
      That's easy. The Dark Side of the Moon.
      "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
      Groucho Marx
      "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
      Ron White
      "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
      Milo Bloom

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        All I know is that if there was only one record album that I could listen to for the rest of my life, it wouldn't be a Beatles album. Honestly, I don't know of anyone who would say it's a Beatles album for themselves.
        I suppose no compilations, concerts or greatest hits should be allowed to make the choice more difficult or carefully thought out.

First record that comes to mind for me is Dark Side (I prefer Animals but is it long enough?), but Rubber Soul would be under consideration as would Bizet's Carmen with Leontnye Price, Mozart's Le Nozze di Figar with Kiri Te Kanawa & Samuel Ramey, after that I'd have to dig through everything I've got. Not a lot qualifies for, "only this for the rest of my life".

Maybe Quadraphenia? Joshua Tree? Miles Davis' Kind of Blue? For "easy listening" perhaps something from Zero 7, The Samples, Air or Morcheeba. Hmph.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post

First record that comes to mind for me is Dark Side (I prefer Animals but is it long enough?)

Wouldn't they be a similar length as they were both 2 sides (vinyl)?

Wouldn't be a Floyd album for me, but if it was, Meddle would be in the running although like you, Animals is my favorite.

This for the rest of your life and favorite may not be the same thing though.

Comment

10 desert island albums. Can be live or studio and can be a double album but have to be official releases. No box sets or bootlegs.

Whatdya got?

Comment

In no particular order

REM-Reckoning
              Wild Colonials-Fruit of Life
              Springsteen-Darkness on the Edge of Town
              Van Morrison-Into the Music
              The Waterboys-Fisherman's Blues
              The Replacements-Tim
              The Replacements-Let It Be
              Wilco-Being There
              The Clash-London Calling
              Blue Rodeo-Nowhere to Here
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                10 desert island albums. Can be live or studio and can be a double album but have to be official releases. No box sets or bootlegs.
                Purely on instinct:

Animals, Pink Floyd
                Los Angeles, X
                Entertainment, The Gang of Four
                Give Em Enough Rope, The Clash
                Goo, Sonic Youth
                Fear of Music, Talking Heads
                Beggars' Banquet, The Rolling Stones
                Permanent Waves, Rush
                Fear of a Black Planet, Public Enemy
                One Nation Under a Groove, Parliament-Funkadelic

I would also like to have Kim Gordon, Clare Grogan, Chrissy Hynde, Carrie Brownstein, and Amanda Palmer each at 33 shipwrecked with me if it's not too much trouble.

And David Bowie at 40.

And I would like Richard Butler's voice at 27. And Bo Jackson's body at 22.
                Last edited by Kepler; 07-31-2017, 06:03 PM.
                Cornell University
                National Champion 1967, 1970
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Off the top of my head, no greatest hits/etc:

LL Cool J "Radio"
                  Pink Floyd "Dark Side Of The Moon" (although I love me some Animals)
                  Ramones (self-titled)
                  AC/DC "Back In Black"
                  Metallica "And Justice For All"
                  The Cure "Kiss Me, Kiss Me, Kiss Me"
                  Hank Williams III "Straight To Hell"
                  Grateful Dead "American Beauty"
                  Pearl Jam "Yield"
                  Led Zeppelin (Zoso, IV, whatever you refer to it as)
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                    It doesn't even have to be direct influence.

Bands that were influenced by the Beatles have gone on to have their own spheres of influence.
                    Yeah, I mean it's kind of like this chart: https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...hing_Trees.GIF

When or even should you stop giving Walsh "credit"?
                    Code:
                    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                    Originally posted by SanTropez
                    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                    Originally posted by Kepler
                    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Just gonna riff a top 10

Stones - Exile on Main Street
                      David Bowie - Low
                      Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
                      Radiohead - Kid A
                      Rush - Signals
                      Die Kreuzen - October File
                      Soundgarden - Superunknown
                      NWA - Straight Outta Compton
                      Paul Simon - The Rhythm of The Saints
                      The Clash - London Calling
                      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by solovsfett View Post
                        Just gonna riff a top 10

Stones - Exile on Main Street
                        David Bowie - Low
                        Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
                        Radiohead - Kid A
                        Rush - Signals
                        Die Kreuzen - October File
                        Soundgarden - Superunknown
                        NWA - Straight Outta Compton
                        Paul Simon - The Rhythm of The Saints
                        The Clash - London Calling

Yeah... my favorite of theirs too.

Funny that at the time, a lot of fans were hating on the new sound.

Comment

The Beatles - White Album
                          Chris Stapleton - Traveller
                          Eric Church - Mr. Misunderstood
                          Norah Jones - The Fall
                          Rilo Kiley - Execution of all Things
                          Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
                          Taylor Swift - 1989
                          Tedeschi Trucks - Revelator (if only to get Midnight in Harlem)
                          The Who - Tommy
                          Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

I'll be honest though, I don't really care for albums as a whole. I'm fairly picky when it comes to music. There are tons of great albums that I only can one song that I like.

This list would be drastically different if you ask me next year or even next month. They might not be my favorite albums of all time but each represents a time in my life and often a significant stretch or some event. Since I'm extremely nostalgic I tend to stick with things from my past.
                          Code:
                          As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                          College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                          BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                          Originally posted by SanTropez
                          May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                          Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                          I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                          Originally posted by Kepler
                          When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                          He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                            Yeah... my favorite of theirs too.

Funny that at the time, a lot of fans were hating on the new sound.
                            Yeah, Signals came out not long after my family moved to Brookfield from Chicago and the lyrics of Subdivisions, The Analog Kid, The Weapon et al really hit home. And it sounded (to me) sprawling and dreamy to my ears. I still love it.

You're right, the old diehards had trouble digesting this one.

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              The Beatles - White Album
                              Chris Stapleton - Traveller
                              Eric Church - Mr. Misunderstood
                              Norah Jones - The Fall
                              Rilo Kiley - Execution of all Things
                              Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
                              Taylor Swift - 1989
                              Tedeschi Trucks - Revelator (if only to get Midnight in Harlem)
                              The Who - Tommy
                              Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

I'll be honest though, I don't really care for albums as a whole. I'm fairly picky when it comes to music. There are tons of great albums that I only can one song that I like.

This list would be drastically different if you ask me next year or even next month. They might not be my favorite albums of all time but each represents a time in my life and often a significant stretch or some event. Since I'm extremely nostalgic I tend to stick with things from my past.
                              Oh man, Siamese Dream should have made my list. What a fantastic album top to bottom!
                              Last edited by solovsfett; 08-01-2017, 07:54 AM.

Comment

I actually was more impressed with Ava Adore, which I think is really underrated. Mellon Cholly (sp?) was great, but a tad bloated, even for a double album.

I agree that MANY MANY songs are specifically tied to a certain memory, or period in my life, and they always will be. Oftentimes, I can name the specific moment that the song became important to me, good or bad.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X