Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

They ignore ridicule & fight; I win

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

It was an honor to present your colors, RPI. Let's Go 'TUTE!
    May 14th, 2011, 11:00 PM ET: 2147483647

Quote Originally Posted by Rover View Post
    I'm not happy about it either, but Flag is correct (cue the Twilight Zone music!).
    Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    Ahh crap I agree exactly with what FlagDude said.
    Quote Originally Posted by jericho on rpitv's chat
    I never thought I would say this, but you are right.
    Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And yet, even if Flaggy is complete tinfoil hat, every day it looks closer and closer to the truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    So flaggy: you win.

In my car today, you'd have been annoyed. I'm listening to the Top Gun soundtrack and kept hitting repeat on "Danger Zone."
    twitter: PipersHouse920
    “Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly.”
    ― Franz Kafka
    269/1,000 miles ran, 0/2,000 on bicycle
    Next race: FUNderwear Run 5K on March 12, Irish Jig 5K on March 18.

Already insane, UAA making it worse
    Quote Originally Posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
    In my car today, you'd have been annoyed. I'm listening to the Top Gun soundtrack and kept hitting repeat on "Danger Zone."

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory

Have a new used record store that opened in town about a month ago, and I stopped by the other day for the first time. Seriously, other than Wal-mart, there hasn't been a place to buy music in town in at least 15 years.

Anyway, dropped $40 and came away with five albums, one from the 70's, and the rest from the glorious 80's. All were reasonably filthy, I mean, actual fingerprints on the vinyl, but not scratched, so hopefully will clean up nicely. The owners mentioned they had just bought a vacuum record cleaning machine, and I got one a few months ago, so hopefully, they'll be cleaning their stuff before they put it out from now on.

So, picked up:

An RCA label copy of Steely Dan's The Royal Scam. My copy is an MCA budget line re-issue, so hopefully this one will sound better. Came with the inner sleeve, whereas mine was just blank paper sleeve, so that's a plus.

The second and third albums by Marshall Crenshaw. Awesome power pop in That Thing You Do vein.

Lloyd Cole's first solo album.

And the one I'm most excited about. Flesh for Lulu's Long Live The New Flesh. Trashy glam power pop doesn't get much better. Paul Westerberg did a great sloppy cover of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE
    Last edited by rufus; 07-25-2017 at 06:00 PM.
    Those are brave men knocking at our door. Let's go kill them!

halfway crucified

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    The second and third albums by Marshall Crenshaw. Awesome power pop in That Thing You Do vein.
    I never understood why this guy didn't make it big. Great voice, catchy lyrics, as you say, power pop. He's probably better known for playing Buddy Holly in La Bamba. Saw him when he ws touring in the late 80s. Great show too.
    "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
    Groucho Marx
    "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
    Ron White
    "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
    Milo Bloom

Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    I never understood why this guy didn't make it big.
    I remember when he was right on the cusp of going monster. "Someday, Someway" was all over the NY airwaves in 81 and he sounded like the next Elevator Music Emperor (move over, Elton). Then... nuffin.'

Maybe something happened to miss his moment, or maybe he just didn't want that, but Billy Joel drank his milkshake.
    2016 USCHO POSER OF THE YEAR

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

Lucia Apologist

The guy playing guitar at Potbelly's just played Neil Young's Harvest Moon.

Nice touch.

rock and roller

Quote Originally Posted by busterman62 View Post
    I never understood why this guy didn't make it big. Great voice, catchy lyrics, as you say, power pop. He's probably better known for playing Buddy Holly in La Bamba. Saw him when he ws touring in the late 80s. Great show too.
    You must have seen him with Graham Maby playing rhythm guitar. I went to see this band called The Silos at a small club in Portland, Maine in the late 80's, and they're rolling in road cases with G. Maby stenciled on the side. Now Graham Maby is a great bass player, best known for the first few Joe Jackson albums, and I'm thinking, one of these guys must have bought his old equipment. Nope, Graham Maby himself, playing bass for The Silos.

Ended up getting to chat with him a bit before and after the show, and he said he was getting ready to go out on tour playing guitar for Marshall Crenshaw, which led to the inevitable, "which do you like playing better, being a bass player or playing guitar?" I believe the answer was either one, as long as I'm playing.

Classic Graham Maby bass riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck
    Last edited by rufus; 07-18-2017 at 07:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    You must have seen him with Graham Maby playing rhythm guitar. I went to see this band called The Silos at a small club in Portland, Maine in the late 80's, and they're rolling in road cases with G. Maby stenciled on the side. Now Graham Maby is a great bass player, best known for the first few Joe Jackson albums, and I'm thinking, one of these guys must have bought his old equipment. Nope, Graham Maby himself, playing bass for The Silos.

Ended up getting to chat with him a bit after the show, and he said he was getting ready to go out on tour playing guitar for Marshall Crenshaw, which led to the inevitable, "which do you like playing better, being a bass player or playing guitar?" I believe the answer was either one, as long as I'm playing.

Classic Graham Maby bass riff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GnaUL8OpBck
    He's on all of Look Sharp. Very, very good bass player. "Baby Stick Around" has one of the greatest bass riffs ever. That's how you build a skeleton.
    Last edited by Kepler; 07-18-2017 at 05:44 PM.

"The strength and power of despotism consists wholly in the fear of resistance." -- Thomas Paine

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014

rock and roller

Lot of great bass players in that late 70's post-punk scene. Maby, Bruce Thomas with Elvis Costello, Bruce Foxton of The Jam, probably a few more I can't recall right off. Move into the early 80's and you can add Mike Mills from REM.

Bruce Thomas might be one of the best bass players to ever wield the instrument.

Already insane, UAA making it worse

Been playing Linkin Park all day. I do love Hybrid Theory and Meteora but, and I know I'm in a minority here, I love Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns more.

Fitting song: What I've Done.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimjamesak View Post
    Been playing Linkin Park all day. I do love Hybrid Theory and Meteora but, and I know I'm in a minority here, I love Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns more.

Fitting song: What I've Done.

A few years back, they were my son's favorite band and he played them in the car a lot.

What I've Done was my favorite of theirs of what I heard.
    Wisconsin Hockey Am I dreaming?

70s Rock Playlist of about 250 songs...

Coz I watched Dazed & Confused last night and feeling nostalgic.

This is such a great playlist.

Teaching you how to Bucky.

One of the greatest musicians you've likely never heard of, Sean Costello. Here he is crushing Double Trouble on 5 strings after blowing an e string at the start.

I met Sean in a small bar in Marquette, Michigan one summer night about 10 years ago. I heard live music, so I just walked in the door to see what was going on. Now I'd never heard of the guy, but it was a lot like finding Sid Crosby playing in a Thursday league game on a night off during the season at your local rink. I've seen a lot, but I've never seen a live performer like Sean. I was just completely blown away by this nice looking, generic white kid's prodigious talent.
    Between sets he was sitting by himself at a table with a beer and some CD's. I went over and my first words to him were, "Man! What in the world are YOU doing HERE?" (It turned out a member of his band was from Marquette and they had been playing up there each summer for years as a sort of get away.) We talked for a bit and he was really just a shy, sweet, friendly and very humble kid, who you'd never guess was considered one of the greatest young blues guitarists in the world. I purchased a cd and tried to over pay, but he absolutely insisted on giving me my change. We talked a bit more before he went on for his next blistering set. I remember being sincerely struck by just what an enormously likeable young man he was.

Here is Sean having some fun and showing a little of his virtuosity in Antwerp Belgium, 2007.

Sean was found in an Atlanta hotel room a day before his 29th birthday, dead from a drug overdose. After years of struggling with mental health issues, Sean had finally been diagnosed with bipolar disorder shortly before his death. Friends and family all firmly believe Sean wanted to live and that his death was entirely accidental, which is the same conclusion the coroner came to. In his memory they established the Sean Costello Memorial Fund for Bipolar Research.

That eponymous album I picked up in Marquette, "Sean Costello", remains one of my favorites. Here's a track off it, Sean's killer version of Al Green's "I'm a Ram"
    Last edited by Wisko McBadgerton; 07-21-2017 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by WiscTJK View Post
    I'm with Wisko and Tim.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timothy A View Post
    Other than Wisko McBadgerton and Badger Bob, who is universally loved by all?

Roger Waters tonight at the United Center.

Most excited.

Hey you White Ha-House... haha... charade you are!

Been chasing that epic mind blowing concert experience since Floyd at Camp Randall in 94.

Just might get it tonight.

Taking the boy. He needs a Floydian experience before it can no longer happen.

He's excited too.

Hearing some RUSH today.

Normally I go for a concert boot or occasionally one of the few studio albums that I still listen to every once in awhile (Signals... 2112...).

Today I decided that All the World's deserved a listen.

I was correct.

Might even do Exit next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gurtholfin View Post
    Roger Waters tonight at the United Center.
    "Name the blonde woman who destroyed Pink Floyd?" (Adapted from a David Lee Roth joke, but works just as well with Waters or Phil Collins).

Cornell University
    NCAA Champion 1967, 1970

Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    "Name the blonde woman who destroyed Pink Floyd?" (Adapted from a David Lee Roth joke, but works just as well with Waters or Phil Collins).
    Dave outgrew Van Halen, briefly. Eat 'em And Smile is awesome 80s spray cheese. The follow-ups...are admittedly more hit or miss. Not unlike the first Van Hagar album, 5150, and it's sequels.
    Last edited by FadeToBlack&Gold; 07-25-2017 at 02:18 PM.
    Michigan Tech: "Working with scraps and guys from places so remote that Houghton seems like a metropolis"

Boosh Factor (4/04/17): 5.242424

rock and roller

Cleaned up my used record store haul, and so far, so good. For being as filthy as they, the ones I've listened to sound pretty good.

And there's a reason he didn't catch on with American audiences, but I've always been a Lloyd Cole fan. Currently just spellbound by this track from his first solo record I picked up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNIX64tNse4

Roger Waters – 7/22/17 United Center

Nice audience recording of the show I was at.

Band really sounds great.

Was a very good show. I'm too jaded and have been to too many concerts to be mind-blown anymore. Had I never seen Floyd, David or Roger before, it likely would be up there as a pinnacle concert experience.

My kid loved it though declaring it the best show he's ever seen. This is what I was hoping to get out of this jaunt, so mission accomplished.

He got to a "Floyd" show and loved it. Lifetime memory just like some of our earlier important concerts.

My only real quibble is that too much reliance was placed upon video instead of lights.

Showing me video footage is too much of a guide on my experience. I don't care for it. U2 did this also during their J-Tree tour earlier this summer and I didn't like it then either.

I want some control over my experience. I found myself closing my eyes or looking away from the screens as I got bored with stock news footage of current events and pictures of Trump, Putin Sessions, etc. Luckily, this wasn't done at all times.

Other than that, there was a lot to like.

Got Pigs – which absolutely destroyed Trump in video/illustration – so I've now seen all of Animals (my fav Floyd album) live except Pigs on the Wing II.

Also did all three parts of Another Brick, which is cool as I love parts 1 and 3.

Welcome to the Machine was a highlight too.

Other cool (cliché?) Floydian tidbits included the flying pig (during Pigs of course), a combo of inflatables (the stacks) and a giant screen down the middle of the arena that created Battersea, surround sound for effects and lasers during Brain Damage/Eclipse and Numb.

Oh yeah and the songs from the new album come off live really well. Have never liked Roger's solo stuff but the new album is decent to good.

Oh yeah 2... Long time David/Floyd and Roger collaborator Jon Carin on slide is so nice.
    Last edited by Gurtholfin; 07-26-2017 at 08:53 AM.

Thread Information