This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

I much prefer to purchase my music and download it to my device. I've no interest in paying extra for an unlimited data service that allows me to listen to music. I put it on my phone, and I never have to worry about 4G dead spots.
    "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
      I much prefer to purchase my music and download it to my device. I've no interest in paying extra for an unlimited data service that allows me to listen to music. I put it on my phone, and I never have to worry about 4G dead spots.
      Ditto, although I don't buy much music nowadays. A song or album here and there, maybe.
      Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
      Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
        A quick search of ebay showed lots of listings for the Classic 160gb - some even new/unused. Saw a couple for $300, which is what I paid for mine back when I bought them at the store.

Both of mine still work - thankfully.

One full of studio/official stuff and one full of concert recordings.

I am also one who listens to a lot that isn't available on streaming services and a lot of concert recordings. And I must own the files.

I'm guessing my way will be obsolete at some point, but for now... "You little ****s better get off my lawn!!!"
        Your way obsolete? I'm moving back to buying vinyl LP's. Spent a little last fall to get my old AR turntable back to as good as new(new spring and stud set, new motor, belt and pulley) upgraded my cartridge a few weeks ago with a modded Denon 103 moving coil cartridge from Zu Audio, and the thing that's really put it over the top soundwise was buying a quality separate phono stage.

One of my demo listening choices was Bowie's Ziggy Stardust. Never heard it sound so good, it was truly amazing to listen to. I daresay my records now sound better than my cds.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Ended up at a local fest put on by the brewery near me, Pink Floyd tribute band.....and holy crap are they good. Run Like Hell is the name. I was ready to rip anything wrong they did and.......nope, not a single criticism. And they played stuff like "Great Gig In The Sky" and "Pigs." Afterwards, talked with some of the band....it was only their 4th show, and their first outside show. My jaw dropped. That good, not kidding.
          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Good to hear that a local band is doing a fine job.

I don't care for tribute bands - especially when they are actually imitating the originals.

Floyd is the exception for some reason. It's the only cover music that I have a hunger to hear live and there are quite a few good tributes out there that actually tour internationally.

Brit Floyd and Aussie Floyd are both outstanding - both in musicianship and light show. I don't miss them when they are in the area.

Something called The Wall Live Extravaganza is coming to Madison in September and while the name immediately made me dismissive, I did a little research and they get great reviews and videos were encouraging. I may hit it.

Going to see Roger though in Chicago in a couple of weeks and that will be the real deal. Looking forward to the spectacle as he always delivers.

Saw David last year and got the virtuosity. Now I want my mind blown.

Comment

When this band started up "Great Gig," my buddy and I immediately went 100% focus, ready to shred any discrepancy. There really was no need. The woman nailed every note.

As for the other songs they played, every nuance was done perfectly. I can only imagine what this band sounds like with controlled acoustics indoors and such. I did find one video of them live, and they are going full out on the laser/light show. They are committed, I'll tell you that. Unfortunately, I'll be out of town for their next show. I definitely will check them out again, though.

I don't mind cover bands, or tribute bands, BUT if a tribute band is going to do a band as big as Floyd (or Metallica, AC/DC, Beatles, Stones, etc), they are THAT much more open to criticism, fair or not, due to the original's band's fame. I fully admit I was a bit more....cynical? critical?.......going into this show. And they wow-ed me.

Comment

I'm not much for tribute bands, mainly being most of them are tributes to bands I wouldn't want to see anyway, but my feeling is, if you're billing yourself as a "tribute" band, you'd better sound as much like the album versions of them as you possibly can. None of this "artistic interpretation" chit. You nail the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                  I'm not much for tribute bands, mainly being most of them are tributes to bands I wouldn't want to see anyway, but my feeling is, if you're billing yourself as a "tribute" band, you'd better sound as much like the album versions of them as you possibly can. None of this "artistic interpretation" chit. You nail the sound.
                  Agreed. As I said, I was just waiting to say "Nope, wrong note," "Nope, didn't hit that chord," "Jesus, you absolutely murdered that song," etc. And I couldn't do it. I WANTED to rip them at points, and I just couldn't do it. The fact that it was only their 4th show, and 1st one without their usual laser/light show and outdoors.....yeah, I am sold.

Did find a vid of them:
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_EX_m59AE

Comment

This is pretty impressive.
                    Cornell University
                    National Champion 1967, 1970
                    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Brenthoven View Post
                      Agreed. As I said, I was just waiting to say "Nope, wrong note," "Nope, didn't hit that chord," "Jesus, you absolutely murdered that song," etc. And I couldn't do it. I WANTED to rip them at points, and I just couldn't do it. The fact that it was only their 4th show, and 1st one without their usual laser/light show and outdoors.....yeah, I am sold.

Did find a vid of them:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK_EX_m59AE
                      That's impressive. They even got the slight English affectations right.
                      "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

Sweet song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH-5LoHDc2E

Comment

In my car today, you'd have been annoyed. I'm listening to the Top Gun soundtrack and kept hitting repeat on "Danger Zone."
                          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                          Patreon for exclusive writing content
                          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by ShirtlessBob View Post
                            In my car today, you'd have been annoyed. I'm listening to the Top Gun soundtrack and kept hitting repeat on "Danger Zone."
                            U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                            Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                            I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                            But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                            Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                            Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Have a new used record store that opened in town about a month ago, and I stopped by the other day for the first time. Seriously, other than Wal-mart, there hasn't been a place to buy music in town in at least 15 years.

Anyway, dropped $40 and came away with five albums, one from the 70's, and the rest from the glorious 80's. All were reasonably filthy, I mean, actual fingerprints on the vinyl, but not scratched, so hopefully will clean up nicely. The owners mentioned they had just bought a vacuum record cleaning machine, and I got one a few months ago, so hopefully, they'll be cleaning their stuff before they put it out from now on.

So, picked up:

An RCA label copy of Steely Dan's The Royal Scam. My copy is an MCA budget line re-issue, so hopefully this one will sound better. Came with the inner sleeve, whereas mine was just blank paper sleeve, so that's a plus.

The second and third albums by Marshall Crenshaw. Awesome power pop in That Thing You Do vein.

Lloyd Cole's first solo album.

And the one I'm most excited about. Flesh for Lulu's Long Live The New Flesh. Trashy glam power pop doesn't get much better. Paul Westerberg did a great sloppy cover of this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5J3ZjxIQgFE
                              Last edited by rufus; 07-25-2017, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                                The second and third albums by Marshall Crenshaw. Awesome power pop in That Thing You Do vein.
                                I never understood why this guy didn't make it big. Great voice, catchy lyrics, as you say, power pop. He's probably better known for playing Buddy Holly in La Bamba. Saw him when he ws touring in the late 80s. Great show too.
                                "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                                Groucho Marx
                                "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                                Ron White
                                "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                                Milo Bloom

Comment

Working...
                                X