This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

So, New Order is touring. There's a whole credit card commercial or something based on that. Told a friend a few weeks ago that I don't think I could go see them, since Peter Hook isn't in the band anymore. If you know the band, you know what an integral part of their sound his bass playing is. Maybe THE part of their sound. Stuff I've heard from their latest album without him, and the songs sound more traditionally structured in their use of the bass as an instrument.

So yesterday, I see that Peter Hook is touring, roughly the same time. And in Boston. Ordered tickets immediately. Apparently he's performing both New Order's and Joy Division's Substance albums(singles collections) in their entirety. Now this should be fun.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Husked Du will be on rotation all weekend, it's been too long.

I can't believe Grant Hart is gone. ****...

I think it would have been possible for a reunion despite what Grant and Bob were saying. The current reissue lent promise of better communications.
      Everything in its right place, Wisconsin Hockey National Champs!

"but you're not as confused as him are you. it's not your job to be as confused as Nigel". Tap pt 1.

"I think it's ****ing stock. What--? Which part of that is unclear to you? I think it sounds stock to my ears. I mean, do you want me to write it down?" Tap Pt. 2

Who???! So What!!!! Big Deal!!!!

Comment

This is a beautiful song with lyrics that so loudly resonate with the world today.

Comment

Sat to the left of and 6 rows from the stage. My ears finally stopped bleeding. Offspring kicked a*s and tore down the house. The 4 of them set the stage on fire. If you like them, see them. Well worth the price of admission. Sublime with Rome seemed more like a cover band to me.
          A bad cause requires many words.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
            This is a beautiful song with lyrics that so loudly resonate with the world today.
            I'm curious if anyone checked that song out. I keep going back to it. I had never heard of them until it was played while listening to my stations on iHeart. Apparently they were quite big in the UK & Europe but it doesn't sound like they ever had much of a following across the pond.

Comment

Full binge mode on the Floyd since that Gilmour thingy in the theater - I do this when I see a band live and it's weird, but it felt like I went to a show last week.

Grabbed another 15-20 shows from Yeeshkul, so my ratio took a hit but I have a substantial live Floyd collection and just keep adding to it.

In the past week...

Animals
              Meddle
              Division Bell (yes, I actually like this one)
              The Endless River
              Is this the Life We Really Want
              Rattle That Lock
              Gilmour - In Concert
              Remember That Night
              Atom Heart Mother
              Obscured

Gilmour - 7/11/16 Verona, Italy

Waters - 7/26/84 Rosemont with Clapton in his band
              Waters - 7/22/17 Chicago show I saw

Floyd - 11/21/70 Montreux
              4/28/72 Chicago
              8/6/80 London
              9/22/87 Toronto
              8/21/94 Berlin
              9/17/94 Modena

No end in sight as I now have those 15-20 new shows to check out.

Of course I've listened to other things interspersed, but I've got an itch to scratch right now.

Currently hearing 6/22/94 from the Humpty Dump.

Were you there Slap?

EDIT: This Metrodome show is outstanding. David is into this one for sure - very engaged. Really good sound too. Odd, but I can hear the room - not really an echo, but rather sound in a really BIG enclosed space. Cool.
              Last edited by Gurtholfin; 09-20-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Oh yeah and that Youtube video that you (SS) linked gives and error message that it hasn't been made available in this country.

Comment

Originally posted by Gurtholfin View Post
                  Oh yeah and that Youtube video that you (SS) linked gives and error message that it hasn't been made available in this country.
                  ahhh ****. No VPN?

Maybe this will work. If not the song is If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next by Manic Street Preachers.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                    ahhh ****. No VPN?

Maybe this will work. If not the song is If You Tolerate This Your Children Will Be Next by Manic Street Preachers.

That works.

What about my other question. Were you at that Floyd show?

Comment

Sorry I missed that. Yes I was at that show. For as lousy as the sound was typically at the HHH for concerts Floyd pulled off an amazing atmosphere and the set list was tremendous, dominated by older works although iirc they didn't play anything from Animals which would have been my only minor complaint.

Comment

Jonny Lang Oct 6 in Cranston, RI.

Comment

Digging these:
                          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CUgANeNoOY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5sUWBfUDA
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by SonofSouthie View Post
                            Always been a big fan of Dexter Holland
                            BTW, I've wasted my life.

I'd like to change my answer to "which rock star would you trade lives with," thanks.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by walrus View Post
                              Greg Allmans Southern Blood, eerie, it has stayed in my truck CD player for 2 days now. Different sound, horns, Piano (instead of B3). He hopes his music haunts us when he is gone, it does me. His cover of Going, Going Gone got me.
                              Picked this up based on your recommendation. Multiple thank yous are in order. Quality album.
                              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                              Groucho Marx
                              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                              Ron White
                              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                              Milo Bloom

Comment

TCM ran "Monterey Pop" last night. Watch Janis Joplin just fkn wow Cass Elliot and everybody else, me included.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bld_-7gzJ-o

Comment

Working...
                                X