• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: USCHO Music Thread 4: Songs She Sang to Me, Songs She Brang to Me

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Umm...wow.

And how old were you?
    Maria was in her 30s. The rest of us are, um, older than that.

There is nothing like 2500 rich white Northern Virginians booing Nazis, hissssssssssssssing the countess, and trying to get through "The Lonely Goatherd" without screwing up the lyrics.

There was one Liesl who would have made every eager young lad and roué and cad offer her food and wine. I mean, I'd have Anschlussed her.
    Last edited by Kepler; 06-18-2018, 06:23 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Since I haven't heard the bulk of them, I'm going to slowly work my way through Rolling Stone's 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list.
      Code:
      As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
      College Hockey 6       College Football 0
      BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
      Originally posted by SanTropez
      May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
      Originally posted by bigblue_dl
      I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
      Originally posted by Kepler
      When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
      He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Ranking of Albums in RS500:

dx - RS -- Album
        1..-..1..-..Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Code:
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

120 for me. Which isn't bad considering I have no country, practically no R&B and soul from the 60's. And no Zeppelin, Dylan, Neil Young,Radiohead, or Fleetwood Mac Not really my thing. Nothing really from after 2000 either.

It is pretty amazing that Big Star, a band that very few people have even heard of, recorded three albums between 1971 and 1974, although Third wasn't released until 1978, and all three are in the top 500

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wG4KnLsGmyo

If you go through that entire list, you're in for a treat. There's some amazing stuff in there. But you'll also have to listen to Hotel California.
          Last edited by rufus; 06-19-2018, 09:16 PM.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            120 for me. Which isn't bad considering I have no country, practically no R&B and soul from the 60's. And no Zeppelin, Dylan, Neil Young,Radiohead, or Fleetwood Mac Not really my thing. Nothing really from after 2000 either.

It is pretty amazing that Big Star, a band that very few people have even heard of, recorded three albums between 1971 and 1974, although Third wasn't released until 1978, and all three are in the top 500

If you go through that entire list, you're in for a treat. There's some amazing stuff in there. But you'll also have to listen to Hotel California.
            I'm going to find it harder to get through Michael Jackson. I've always thought he was one of the most overrated artists of all time.

As I was adding the music to my spotify list, I listened to a few songs here and there. London Calling has me really excited. I never really listened to The Clash so I had no idea what to expect. The two songs I heard from it were incredible.

I'm also finding I like a lot of the artists like Robert Johnson and Muddy Waters.
            Code:

Comment

I can't deal with the blues. I don't know what it is, it just triggers my senses extremely negatively. Just cannot stand it.

Not heard London Calling. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? If you listen to that, then you need to hear Sandinista. Lot of people complain there's too much filler, a little too full of itself, but I think it's a brilliant piece of work. Especially coming from a so-called "punk" band.

Kinda like Jackson's Off The Wall album. Once he started going crazy, I had no use for him, though I will not say bad things about Billie Jean. But just tired of him.

The one album on that list that I was surprised to see was U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind. Especially as high as it was. An incredibly mediocre album in my opinion, which I bought because it was supposed to be their "comeback". Not a good record.

Comment

I can't deal with the blues. I don't know what it is, it just triggers my senses extremely negatively. Just cannot stand it.

Not heard London Calling. If you don't mind my asking, how old are you? If you listen to that, then you need to hear Sandinista. Lot of people complain there's too much filler, a little too full of itself, but I think it's a brilliant piece of work. Especially coming from a so-called "punk" band.

Kinda like Jackson's Off The Wall album. Once he started going crazy, I had no use for him, though I will not say bad things about Billie Jean. But just tired of him.

The one album on that list that I was surprised to see was U2's All That You Can't Leave Behind. Especially as high as it was. An incredibly mediocre album in my opinion, which I bought because it was supposed to be their "comeback". Not a good record.
                33. And it's pretty well-documented around here that I'm not a big fan of more than a handful of older movies. Not sure how that translates to other media. I guess we'll find out. Blue seems to be somewhat polarizing. If you had asked me 10 years ago to listen to Robert Thompson, I would have turned it off 30 seconds in.

U2 is another band I never understood. Maybe because I think Bono is an insufferable hack.

My music tastes have evolved a lot over the years, as I'm guessing many people's tastes do. Before high school I listened to 90s mainstream and grunge. In high school I listened to pop and pop-rock. College was alternative and other non-mainstream (I'm such a cliche). After college there was a lot of newer country mixed in. Eventually I started to rediscover older music as well as modern pop. Which was kind of an interesting experience. I'd listen to acts like Zepplin and follow it up with Taylor Swift. Look no further than my island list from earlier in the thread. I've probably listened to all of these albums at least once in the last year.

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                The Beatles - White Album
                Chris Stapleton - Traveller
                Eric Church - Mr. Misunderstood
                Norah Jones - The Fall
                Rilo Kiley - Execution of all Things
                Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream
                Taylor Swift - 1989
                Tedeschi Trucks - Revelator (if only to get Midnight in Harlem)
                The Who - Tommy
                Zwan - Mary Star of the Sea

I'll be honest though, I don't really care for albums as a whole. I'm fairly picky when it comes to music. There are tons of great albums that I only can find one song that I like.

This list would be drastically different if you ask me next year or even next month. They might not be my favorite albums of all time but each represents a time in my life and often a significant stretch or some event. Since I'm extremely nostalgic I tend to stick with things from my past.
                So that list was from 7/31/2017. If you asked me again today, I would probably bump Church and 1989 off. I'd replace Church with Pet Sounds and I think I'd replace 1989 with Reputation (yeah, yeah, yeah, sue me).

I'm guessing this list is going to get even more jumbled the more I progress through the 500.
                Code:

Comment

Old Michael is awesome. After Thriller, he fell off a bit, then QUITE a bit. Certainly never had a full album's worth of stuff after Thriller.

I think some of those albums carry the weight of what it meant at the time. I LOVE The Ramones, and never expected them to be that high, HOWEVER, that was a major shift in music, that they caused. I think that is why RS ranked them as high as they did. Also see: Nirvana.
                  Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                  Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Probably 75% of the albums on that list are either blues albums, or were heavily, heavily influenced by the blues.

As for the U2 album, I can only surmise that the incredible overplay of Beautiful Day pretty much everywhere on the planet is the cause of that ranking.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Probably 75% of the albums on that list are either blues albums, or were heavily, heavily influenced by the blues.

As for the U2 album, I can only surmise that the incredible overplay of Beautiful Day pretty much everywhere on the planet is the cause of that ranking.
                      And why I've got only like 20% of those albums.

Comment

33. And it's pretty well-documented around here that I'm not a big fan of more than a handful of older movies. Not sure how that translates to other media. I guess we'll find out. Blue seems to be somewhat polarizing. If you had asked me 10 years ago to listen to Robert Thompson, I would have turned it off 30 seconds in.

U2 is another band I never understood. Maybe because I think Bono is an insufferable hack.

Not a huge fan of older movies myself. Some, for sure, but mostly, no.

Wait til you hear Boy. It's hard, cause you don't have the luxury of hearing it in the context of the time period it came out, but oh, boy, what a debut. It's truly sad that they're such a hack outfit now, cause I can't even go back and listen to their older stuff that I loved, cause what they are today has soured me so on them.
                        Last edited by rufus; 06-20-2018, 12:05 PM.

Comment

The blues are very broad and deep. Don't write it all off because you didn't like stuff being called "the blues" played on terrestrial radio.

I love the blues in general but there are entire sectors of the genre that I can't stand.

I defy you to hate ALL of these songs:

Slide, Elmore James: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKo80b-QfK0

Delta, Leadbelly: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsfcUZBMSSg

Boogie woogie, Jerry Lee Lewis: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhwt1MLdO-I

Chicago, Muddy Waters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1gp...vkSlU&index=19

Texas, Guitar Shorty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPoUmJQgETQ

Southern: Gregg Allman, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpID...XvkSlU&index=9
                          Last edited by Kepler; 06-20-2018, 07:06 PM.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Nope. Didn't even bother, because I've heard all the styles. Just something visceral about it that just doesn't agree with me. Can enjoy the Allmans, and a lot of the rock based who derive from the blues, and make their own thing from it. But old school, traditional blues is just not for me. Maybe why I never enjoyed Clapton much, either.

Is Guitar Shorty Trombone Shorty's brother?

That said, even I can't fault this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gDhR1R3S0s
                            Last edited by rufus; 06-20-2018, 05:41 PM.

Comment

dx - RS -- Album
                              1..-..2..-..Pet Sounds
                              2..-..1..-..Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Code:

Comment

dx - RS -- Album
                                1..-..2..-..Pet Sounds
                                2..-..1..-..Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

You're going in order beginning with #1?

That seems backward. You'll probably start becoming disinterested as you get into the lower ranked stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X